Previously In New York, Part 4

It was Friday after 2am in Binghamton. Ariana had just finished an assignment for New York Daily News for a new nightclub there. She had actually arrived before sunrise on Thursday, mainly because she did not get away that often and as a precaution. She did not like that the paper had sent her to this assignment. Greg had advised her to be cautions. It was all too close to some items of agenda that were taking place. Archibald would be at the Lost Dog that evening with the member of the Carthian. There was an up and coming Jazz musician there and he never missed a chance to see prodigies perform. She still did not know what clan they were from. Yet she took the assignment, she needed a break from the city.

Ariana had taken care not to go near the Lost Dog. While she was walking back to her hotel she thought she was being followed. She slipped down an alleyway quickly. It was quiet for a moment and then she felt the presence again. She stopped in her tracks and said. “Whoever you are, please make your appearance to me.”

The man walked up on her before a loud banging is heard, a snap of bone and a cry of pain is herd. As Ariana turns around she a creepy looking man on the ground bleeding, a dent in a dumpster about the shape of the bums head can be seen.

“You really should not walk down alleys alone at night.” a familiar voice says from a shadow.

Ariana whirled around in a flash. She knew the voice instantly. “Thank you Mr. Greyson, but it was not the bum I was concerned about. I do believe it was you I sensed.” She thought, oh no, I cannot be seen with him in public so close to where Archibald may be, or his men. “I am fairly certain I know why you are in Binghamton.” She did not want to speak the reason in case someone was listening. “More interestingly though, why were you following me?”

Conner hands the woman a manila envelope. Saying nothing. Once the woman opens the envelope she will find audio recordings of the kindred speaking to each other. Including saying names and plotting against the cities Invictus.

She takes the envelope and slips it into her bag quickly. Since Ariana did not have any devices to listen to the recordings she felt in the envelope she was curious to know a few things. “Mr. Greyson, would you please meet me at my hotel to discuss some matters?” She slipped him a card that she had picked up from the front desk with the name and address of the hotel. Her room number was written on the back. She always made a point to pick one up, she was always prepared for things such as these.

Conner does not take the card and disappears off into the night

2 hours later as Ariana sits in her hotel room there is a knock... at the window.

It was around 4 am. Ariana was focused on her laptop writing about the night club. She was in her sleep wear and her black satin robe was on the back of the hotel chair. The Phantom of the Opera musical was quietly playing while she wrote. She was startled to hear the knock on the window. What in the world, she thought. She slipped on her robe quickly and opened the curtains. It was Conner.

Ariana opened the window. “You certainly know how to make an entrance Mr. Greyson. Please come in.” She suddenly wished she had not changed yet.

Conner slides in the window, “Have you listened to recording?” He asks not seeming to notice that the woman was in her pajamas. And for that matter if he did notice, he didn’t care. Well at least it seems that way anyway. His face is stone and his eyes are, as always blank. No emotion showing in his words or actions.

“No I have not had the opportunity. My laptop does not have a card reader, I did not think I would need it here.” Ariana was suddenly nervous. She really wanted to know more about him, but was afraid to ask. She motioned to the couch in her room. “Mr. Greyson, would you care to sit down. I do have a few questions for you since I have been curious and currently unable to listen to the recordings.” Even though Conner made her uneasy, she had a feeling that she was safe.

Conner does not sit down, actually he does not move at all. Keeping his place by the window. He knew she was nervous, and until he knew what her game was he would keep her ill at ease. “Ask your questions. Daylight is coming.” Conner says in his normal, quiet tone. Another throwing knife, a replica of the one that was in her purse appeared in his hand and again, the Mekhet rolled it between his fingers.

Ariana was slightly frustrated but did not let that seep into her demeanor. “Who is the member of the Carthian that Archibald has been meeting? The name and clan would be helpful. Has it actually been a conspiracy, or has this been just business to which they are involved?” Because she was not rude and concerned since they were both out of town, she thought she had better offer. “Mr. Greyson, since this room is a suite, you may stay if you have no other place to go. I know we are both out of town and it concerns me that daylight is fast approaching. I do thank you for honoring my request to meet me as well.” She had a feeling Conner would say no. She quite certain of this, he seemed so mysterious to her.

“Jameson Quinn, Clan Mekhet.” Conner says answering Ariana’s question. For a moment Conner debates taking her up on the offer. “The recording will tell you everything you need to know. I will expect my payment by the end of the week.” Conner says as he makes his way back to the window.

“Mr. Grey,” Ariana said quickly realizing she did not say his full name. “Why are you always leaving so quickly? Why so few words and interactions?” Her tone was more reporter like, yet personal, some slight twinge in her voice. Her curiosity was getting the best of her. He probably will not answer me, she thought.

“I am not one to waste words or time.” Conner says stopping and turning to look at the Ventrue. “Is there anything else I can be of assistance with at this time Ms. Donovan.” Conner asked.

Ariana’s voice had a defeated tone about it. She did not want to seem desperate to have a friend, and she feared pushing the issue with Conner. “No, I guess that will be all.” She paused and a thought had come into her head, and turned to the bed as if to grab something. “You left a dagger the night at the club. Would you like it back?” She knew nothing of weaponry and would not know what do to with it if there was trouble.

As Ariana turns to grab her purse, and then turns back, she finds that the enshrouded Mekhet is already gone. At least she can’t see him...