Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Ended
Watch
31 - 40
DISPLAYED
A Three Hour Tour

This is for adding a Search Category to the thread.

Note:
This is NOT a Notification for another member.
Page 4 of 9 First 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... Last

"A green, 1995 T-Bird." responded Jordan good naturedly.

"But seriously, my cabal in Los Angeles told me that things were turbulent in Sacramento...unresolved mysteries, a new Consilium, the works. It was possible that the people could use another pair of hands. Additionally, there are supposed to be some outstanding teachers up here. Since I can work anywhere that has an Internet connection and a telephone, moving was less painful for me. So here I am."

He reflected a moment, maybe a little sadly, then continued. "But it might be slower than I might have hoped. You folks don't know me up here, and the Mysterium is responsible for preserving the secrets they uncover and develop. It may take me a while to establish my bona fides and demonstrate that I'm no crazier than anyone else."

"Are you a native here?"

"No, though I doubt it would be easier if I was. Dr. Primoria will likely give you an assignment to help 'prove yourself' before you're given the chance to advance." Theo's tone actually takes on more of a cold formality, as opposed to its previous energy.
    "The ley line mapping is mine. It's possible you'll be assigned to it as well. Ruby is starting an investigation, so that's another possibility."

Jordan looked thoughtful. Tearing ages, have I alienated someone else? But he continued aloud:

"Hmmm. I don't know that I would be useful for mapping ley lines. I have no skill or experience in sensing them. I understand their power and their potential for those who exercise an Arcana that can leverage them, but I'm not one of them. No...I figure that if I move alone and be as non-disruptive as practical, things will fall into place."

"Acanthus?" It sounded like how they might approach the situation. He didn't know many Acanthus. Not many he got a long with anyway. Jordan seemed friendly though.
    "Or are you versed well enough in Fate to let it guide you?"
    Either way, maybe Theo could learn from Jordan about the arcana of Arcadia.

"Give that man a kewpie doll." replied Jordan in his best faux carnival barker voice.

"Acanthus is my Path. Fate magic can help quite a bit, but I don't let it completely guide me. The path of Arcadia has a rep for relying too much on manipulation of destiny and luck. If you abuse it, it's true. But you learn really quick that tampering with anything like that needs to be done sparingly and with restraint. I've used it mostly for guidance. It's all part of us controlling the magic, rather than the reverse, you know?"

Theo wasn't sure he did but then he didn't have any true understanding of Fate. He had book knowledge of what it could do but that wasn't the same.
    "It's always your influence though, isn't it? Aside from Abyssal paradox tainting the spell, isn't it your always in control of your spell?"
    Theo was again shifting towards keen interest in the way he talked.

"Yeah." Jordan agreed. "You control the spells, but you only influence Fate. Every time you change the odds, you take destiny down a new path. But is that the path that you really want? I think that's why Acanthus are drilled in Time Arcana as well. Having a grasp on past, present, and future helps you wrestle with when to tamper with Fate and when to leave it be."

He smiled with self-deprecation. "Am I being completely obscure?"

"No. That makes it more clear." He smiled.
    "There was one text that delved into it as metaphor with Time as a river and Fate as the strength of the currents. That was rather obscure."
    He considers how to turn the conversation to the direction he wants.
    "Your saying you'd want to examine the reactions it might cause before casting something you can't undo, like an Oath." He considers "Of course at higher levels of understanding it's possible to unravel your own oath, isn't it?" he paused, thinking "Not sure if that's the best example, not sure exactly how Oaths work."

"Woah." said Jordan. "You're getting into the heavier stuff that needs someone more skilled than I am. The thing to consider is that in Arcadia there is great awareness of the binding power of words, and the power of a properly bound Oath can carry you through when you'd otherwise be powerless. Fate practitioners can alter the terms of an Oath or unravel it, but the arcane ins and outs are more than I know. I realize I didn't ask, what Path do you rejoice in...what is your view into Reality?"

"I'm a theurgist, but I'm actually more skilled with Life than my ruling arcana. I'm working on improving my understanding of the Prime though." Theo went back to the previous topic.
    "So being at risk of having your Oath changed is one example of what you mean when you say you have to be careful when dealing with Fate?" Theo thought on this. Pledges, indeed Changeling magic in general, seemed different from the Supernal magic practiced by willworkers. Were Pledges close enough to be effected if a Fate mage tried to change the agreement?

Page 4 of 9 First 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... Last
Closed Thread