Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletinEdge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Ended
Watch

Harmony of Dissonance

THREADID
    A
    Ariana Donovan

The house rose above the long untended lawn and against the contour of a tall wooden fence that cordoned the whole property. The whole place was a ruin, like a dry carcass with the skin peeling in dry flakes.

It was instinct to double check the note where Anasztaz had scribbled the address of his residence. The place looked barren, like it had been empty for years. The holes that poked through the windows hinted that squatters might have tried to break in, or that junkies had tried to use it as a drug den. Either way, it didn’t seem like the place someone like him would use as residence.

The address was the right one, however. There was no doubt.

There were a few lights within, they flickered and danced. Where those candles? It was unwise, but likely a necessity in this place. It didn't seem to have any kind of public services active.

As Felix pulled up to the address on the note, he looked at Ariana puzzled. She looked back and him and smiled with reassurance. She was certain it was the place given what Anasztaz had mentioned during Court. As she got out of the vehicle, she looked at the severely weathered and disheveled residence. The dimly lit house had some shadow play from the slight flicker of lighting. It was as she had expected.

Walking to the door, the soft moonlight made her lavender blouse seem to glow slightly. Her black slacks and heeled loafer style shoes, made no noise as she walked up the small short set of stairs. Ariana set her phone to vibrate and slipped it into her pocket as she knocked on the door.

The door opened slowly, creaking. It had been left just barely wedged so the night breeze didn't throw it open but any other minimal effort would do it.

From within, the sound of one of the Nocturnes could be heard. The tempo was slower than what the sheets dictated, it made it sound haunting and melancholic.

"Come in."

It was Anasztaz’s voice, from somewhere inside the house. It didn't sound like he'd interrupt playing the tune to come and check just who had arrived, however.

Ariana thought she had accidentally knocked it open at first. As he heard Anaszatz's voice she entered. She smiled at the the sound of the Nocturne. It was music she played often when she needed to think. Although it sounded more beautiful and mysterious the way he was playing it. Perhaps it was the scenery that gave it the air of mystery. She followed the music into the house. It seemed to be fairly vacant. The moonlight giving hints of a pathway as she walked to where Anasztaz played.

Upon entering the room, she smiled to see him. At first she wanted to continue listening before interrupting him. She realized he must know she is there. In a soft voice she spoke. "Hello Mr. Veres."

Anasztaz raises his gaze momentarily and a couple of the notes lingered even longer before he lowered his gaze and resumed his previous creeping cadence.

"I figured I'd warm up before you arrived. Apologies for not welcoming you at the door. I hope you don't find my home too unpleasant."

The room was a disaster. Furniture that had been partially eaten lied around crumbling, wallpapers that stripped in opaque curls and marks of humidity on the plaster and wood beneath. And at the centre of it a white grand piano that looked brand new and the pianist in impeccable white garments. The contrasts were so dramatic that it could be thought to be a deliberate part of a composition.

Peering around the room for only a moment, she surveyed its display. It was like watching a music video that she could not recall, or her memories of Phantom of the Opera in various forms. A maestro by a fine piano, the room a wreck from succumbing to the lust of the keys, it was actually quite marvelous. There was nothing about Ariana's demeanor that spoke that she was disgusted by any means. "It is quite alright Mr. Veres." She walked to an area by the piano so he could see her in his peripheral vision. "I told you not to fret about your home. It does not bother me." She said sincerely.

"Beauty comes in many forms. It only depends on how you look at it." She said quietly when there was a lull in the music. "May I ask what you are playing right now?" A soft smile of curiosity was brushed onto her lips.

"Opus forty-eight, the first. At whatever pace I well wish." Anasztaz smirked. It hadn't been said aggressively, but perhaps in jest, or at worst apologetically. His words had been accentuated by the crescendo of the piece, however, which did add some undue gravity to it.

The lighting, as suspected, was all provided by candles. But at least he had the precaution to have them set safely and surrounded in glass mantles.

"I feel I've forgotten most of it, so I just let go. I play, but I don't remember. I couldn't write the piece down if I needed to. Maybe I am not playing the piece I think I am playing at all."

"Well, I am sure Chopin would not mind." She smiled with reassurance. "Unless one was classically trained, no one would notice. Or, unless it was part of a repertoire of music they preferred." Ariana mentioned slightly throwing it away, knowing that she told Anasztaz that she listened to classical music previously. "I believe it is quite lovely regardless." When Ariana entered the room, she wondered how he lit the flames of the candles, but some Kindred were old enough to remember doing so in the far past. She had no idea of his age, nor did it really matter to her.

Quiet again while she listened, she wondered if it bothered Anasztaz that she spoke while he did so. "If I may ask, does it distract you to converse while you play?"

"I'll admit it does, somewhat. Like I mentioned, I am struggling to remember."

It showed. The notes again lengthen in duration as he spoke, as his focus changed from remembering to speaking, dragging the tempo even slower. It created a strange effect on the room and the conversation, like everything around had slowed down with the music except the two speakers.

"But we came to converse and to indulge in music both, I was preparing for it, and it doesn't bother me at the slightest. Please, make yourself comfortable."

At least there were a couple of chairs that were functional. They looked somewhat newer and of a different style than the majority of the furniture in the house.

"I am sure it will start coming back to you faster than you think." Ariana spoke with confidence, even though she knew nothing of his true aptitude. "You are correct, I did come to converse." She looked for another moment at the piano, wanting to touch it while his fingers danced along the keys. Her politeness got the best of her, and she resisted doing such a gesture.

As she went to sit down in the chair. "I do hope I do not make you nervous, Mr. Veres." She said with a light chuckle. "If so, it is not my intention.”

"Nervous?" Anasztaz says, raising his gaze from the keys once more for long enough to draw an arched eyebrow.

"I do enjoy thrills, Madam Donovan, but I do not approach you because it makes my undead heart skip a figurative beat in fright, no." he says, chuckling. He picked up the pace somewhat, it seemed as if he played at the tempo of both his mood and memories, after all.

"I approach you because I find you a kindred soul where most others I find pariah. We share this. You understand the nuances." he was referring to the music and his own strange interpretation of it.

"But now, why would you make me nervous?"

Ariana laughed a little, "No, no of course not. I only meant the fact that I was standing. Nothing more." She was starting to slightly catch on to his tempo as they spoke.

"Understanding the arts is one thing for which I am thankful. Even though at times I work too much, I enjoy it for the most part. Watching people do only what I wished I could do. Or things that i use to enjoy before my requiem began." She smiled as she briefly thought of her mortal family. "It is those little things to experience that make dull times, decadent."

"Ah, I was simply being polite. You are welcome to jump, dance, or stand on the piano if you so wish. You are my guest." Anasztaz says, shaking his head and continuing to race his slender and pale fingers across the ivory keys.

"But I can definitely relate. You can learn to do only so many things, but you can enjoy them all. Right?"

"You are right. Yet, it would be a shame to waste part of a requiem not learning anything." Ariana smiled.

She arose and walked to the piano to at least give in to her urge to touch it. Ariana situated herself in the nook of the grand instrument. "I think that would be rather rude to dance on your piano." She smirked. "I do miss dancing sometimes." The words were thrown away as she felt the music resonating through frame of her body. "Booming nightclub music does not hold even a flicker to something such as this. Are you working to perfect anything in particular? Or..." She pondered for a moment to ask. "Do you take any requests?" She smiled and let her hands wander on to the to lid of the piano.

"You are a guest. I have offered you my hospitality." Anasztaz says, adventuring a gaze around while trying to maintain his tempo intact.

"Do as you wish, I won’t think any less of you. Ask what you desire, and if I can provide it I will abide by your request."

Ariana laughed slightly. "I have not let myself go in years." Not counting her recent melt down with Conner. She watched him as he played trying not to stare. It was so intriguing to see someone truly loving what they were doing. She leaned on the piano a bit, taking in more of the rhythm.

Thinking for a moment she asked. "How about Debussy, or maybe something a little enchanting."

Anasztaz ponders it momentarily, while drifting off of his Nocturne and improvising a soft transition into Clair de Lune.

It hadn't been seamless, but it had been a courageous attempt. His fingers danced over the keys as the tune emerged in its proper tempo rather than that one driven by his own mood.

"Somewhat less dour? I hope it is fitting."

“Yes, it certainly is.” As the keys danced out the harmony and melody, she wondered if the Haunt realized the power he had at his fingertips. It could persuade an audience to do what he wanted. To be happy or sad, excited or subdued. The melody enchanted her ears as the hammers strummed the strings. Ariana wanted to hop up on the piano and let it flow through her further. Yet, she could not. She became transfixed as the music lulled her into her relaxing a little. It was evident in her posture, which was normally perfect. Anasztaz's arms flowed up and down the keys from her perspective. It was beautiful and haunting, much like the musician manipulating the ivory keys.

Once the song was nearly concluded, Ariana realized she been staring intently. She was glad she had maintained her resistance to dance. She regained some of her composure and smiled, “I do apologize, I believe I may have been lost in listening.” Her head titled slightly with a look of curiosity. “Mr. Veres, you mentioned before you were not ready for anything out in public yet. May I ask the reason? You are playing beautifully.”

"Why, because I wanted a private review first. Of course."
    Anasztaz grinned his victory; he had gotten what he wished just now.

He pulled back from the keys, resting his hands on his lap. He closed his eyes momentarily, as if the whole thing had fatigued him, and it truly had. The tune had been buried and it took him a significant effort to dig it from the dark recesses of his mind as he played it. Eventually he’d truly relearn them and then he’d be able to play them again without as much strain.

"I am ultimately a poor judge of myself, especially when my memory is in question. It was important for me to have someone else knowledgeable in the art giving me a second opinion."

“I am only a listener, Mr. Veres. My ears are only trained on what pleases me, or something I could dance to. I only know that is it intoxicating enough to nearly relax me. You play with such grace and dynamic that Clair de Lune had a sensuality about it.” Ariana realized a word slipped from her lips and she quickly changed the subject and looked to the lid of the piano as she continued. “Although, I believe that true artists have their own interpretation of what flows into creation.”

There was a fiery excitement in her eyes as they lightened to reflect her thoughts. “I know we had previously spoke of smaller venues such as hotels, or gala events. However, do you see yourself going further?” She hoped she had changed the subject enough times by now.

"With all due respect, Madam Donovan, you're an agent provocateur." Anasztaz grins wide again, this time with clear mischief. He obviously hadn't specified why he had made the statement, and it had been keenly deliberate. The nuance of the conversation flow hadn't slipped him.

"What are you trying to lead me into?"

The question against had been viciously open. He could still be referring to either subject.

The silence seemed deafening. Ariana still felt awkward with other Kindred. She wished she could break all the conditioning that had been instilled on her for years. Then by accident, words would slip and give way to her subconscious. Her fingers on one hand were absently and gently taping out the melody from the prior song. Yet there was no other body language to indicate what she may be thinking.

“Forgive me Mr. Veres. I think perhaps the music had me caught in a moment.” A small smile came upon her lips. “I was only inquiring in case I heard of anything in particular that would suit your interests.” Her eyes shifted back to Anaszatz. “I can be a little overly descriptive at times.” The statement may have been a small indication that there was more.

"You misunderstand me. I merely meant that anything greater than smaller venues would potentially attract too much attention and even endanger the Masquerade. Getting my heart to wish more is what would make you an agent provocateur." Anasztaz says plainly, resting his hands on the piano and pushing a couple notes idly, letting each linger. Mostly so he didn't push her further with his gaze. Noticing that she had become somewhat awkward, it was just the polite thing to do.

"Although your description didn't go unnoticed. I'll take it as a compliment. Thank you. It was just a descriptive term you could even have used in a written review and might have before, wasn't it? Why is there a need to apologize at all?"

Ariana smirked. “I think it was a mutual misunderstanding Mr. Veres. Of course I take the Masquerade into consideration, always. I work with mortals on a daily basis. Perhaps you are right, maybe I may be a bit idealistic.” She looked directly at Anasztaz. “Yes, my writing can be rather intriguing at times. Playing tricks with words was my only escape for many years. Although it was well received, and in most cases, still may be true.”

She thought for a moment as she looked upon the Haunt, “If you are not too tired from playing, would you play another song?” Ariana said with a grin. She turned to attempt to hop up on the piano. Clearly it was not something she was accustomed to doing. She was not weak mind you, she was just avoiding any bit of mishap. “Well, there went that idea.” She laughed a little and returned to her original position in the nook of the piano.

"The chair perhaps may make it easier." Anasztaz chuckles as he looks back down at the piano keys.

"Let's try something more animous, shall we?" he positions his hands and ponders it for a moment, before running his hands quickly through the frantic start of Danse Bohemienne.

While he was composed in play normally, he swayed slightly with intensity of the tune as he played it. The piece merited it.

Ariana opted not to sit on the piano for the moment. The music teased her senses as the lilts of the melody played out on the keys. Her head moved around the music while she watched Anasztaz play. As she listened to the key runs, she smiled wondering why he picked the particular song. "That one is definitely dance worthy." She laughs slightly.

"If I may ask, do you play anything contemporary. Sometimes people may request songs in certain venues." It was less of a business question, but more of a curiosity in her voice.

"I haven't kept up. I hadn't touched a piano for decades, I had no need." Anasztaz says, narrowing his shoulders slightly. Not strictly a lie. He had been in torpor for enough that he hadn't even heard anything remotely contemporary.

"But if I found sheets I could play pretty much anything. Maybe I should try to get something a bit more recent sometime and expand my repertoire."

Judging by his body language, Ariana did not press the reason. She knew at many different places that had a pianist, requests were often made. It would be a shame for him to be turned down for not knowing such things. "I believe you could." She smiled and tilted her head so that her red tresses fell forward.

"Would you like some assistance with that task?" She leaned forward on the piano while she looked at him. "I would enjoy helping you."

"Certainly. You'd know best." Anasztaz says, smiling. That would have been convenient, something that he hadn't even considered. It was dangerous to fall so far behind in time, but it was also in part why he had been so proactive with meeting new people.

He again laid his hands on his lap, and threw his gaze again to lock with hers.

"Seems I am just asking and asking from you, but I still have yet one more thing to ask. I don't know what I'll do when you ask me to repay for everything I'll owe you."

Ariana chuckled a little and leaned in further on the jut of the piano facing the Haunt. Most of her upper body was leaning on the piano. "I would not worry about what you would owe me." She smiled and looked into his eyes, leaving the statement out in the open. For so many years, she was held back from what could only come naturally. Ariana realized now, there was finally no need.

"So tell me, what is this other question you need to ask?" With her free hand, she moved it along the lock of hair that had fallen over her shoulder before her hand laid on the piano. Her smile was somewhat flirtatious.

"I am mortally afraid of debt. One thing I have learned is that our kind can be very creative in means of exacting payment." Anasztaz grinned again, but this time it was a mask; those memories weren't pleasant at all. He had sold nothing short of his soul to be able to come to America from the Old Country.

With her shift of demeanor the thought was quick to perish, however. He maintains the gaze locked, not one to be forced to back down at his favorite game, turning his grin into a predatory smile.

"And the favor I am about to ask will be costly. You see, I would ask you to intercede for me with His Majesty to grant me the right to bring one into our night."

He felt a pang of regret from suddenly bringing such an official matter to the conversation; it'd likely spoil the mood that he had been working hard to build.

She was unsure of how to answer his question as she continued to look in his eyes. "I do not know how His Majesty handles these situations as of yet. However, I would accompany you for this request, if you so wish." She smiled, not dropping the mood at hand. Yet she knew the gravity of the situation. "You have met many Kindred in the Domain, why is it you ask me?"

"Multiple reasons. First, you are a Court official. But more importantly, not everyone I've met warrants this kind of trust." Anasztaz explains, implying that he had a measure of trust on her. Why wouldn't he? After all, all she had done so far was helping him.

His eyes flickered, and he bit the corner of his own lip nervously. He was fully aware of the weight of his request, and although he was glad it was out of his chest he didn't feel in safe waters yet. Furthermore, that put him in a disadvantage at the game they were playing and he wasn't used to be at a disadvantage.

"I do believe that this mortal will be a worthy addition to His domain. A gift to our whole society, if you will, more than a service to myself. Criminal connections but no direct association, capable of falsification and a background in law. A little angel fallen from grace."

Ariana still maintained eye contact while she seemed a bit serious, yet not wanting to drift away from such a fun evening. "I see, those are great attributes. However, for my help, I will request to be owed a major boon for such a thing. This is not a trivial matter by any means. Yet, the way you speak of this mortal, it may be well worth it."

"A major boon? That is suitable, but..."
    Anasztaz says, exhaling for a few seconds without sound.

"What did you have in mind exactly? To hold me in debt till you find something you wish that I can provide?"
    he gazes down for a moment, just to find the keys where he wanted to lay his fingers, but there was no sound. "Or did you have a price in mind already?"

Ariana continued looking at him while Anasztaz looked to the keys. "I would thinking perhaps you could teach me something at a later date. Perhaps if the situation works out for you, we can discuss it?"

She moved around to the side of the piano to see what he was doing.

He was merely running the tips of his fingers over the ivory edge of the keys. Fidgeting. It was something that Ariana had never seen him do before.

"So I must be left with the debt hanging upon my head." Anasztaz says with a flair of overacted tragedy.

"I accept. They are suitable terms."
    he adds as he mercurially shifts to his usual tone, smiling again.

She laughed slightly, "Mr. Veres, I am not a cruel woman. I would not worry too much." She winked, which was indeed harmless. Ariana looked at him again, there was unmistakable flirtation within her eyes. "If you were to play song just for me, what would it be?" Her smile was coy, and since they still knew little of each other, she did wonder what it would be.

"Cruelty comes in many tastes and shapes, some not altogether unpleasing." Anasztaz quips, obviously in a flirtatious intonation as a comeback to her body language.

"But please, no more Mr. Veres. At least when we are in private just use my first name, it feels so cold otherwise. Here we are fluttering eyelashes at each other and still strung to such petty formalities." He follows it with an impish smile, drawing a step past subtlety.

"On to your question, I'd go with one of my favorites; Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata. For reasons of my own."

Ariana's thoughts of cruel was quite different than Anasztaz's. Just for a flicker of a moment her sire drifted through her memories. She hoped that she could forget him some day.

Looking off for a moment to ponder, she returned her gaze to his. "How much do you know about the Invictus? It is not my intention to be cold by any means." She smiled and spoke ever so slowly. "Mr. ....Veres." Which rolled off her tongue playfully.

"Moonlight Sonata?" Ariana conveyed with piquing curiosity with her head tilted and a finger gently touching her cheek. "Will I have the pleasure of knowing your reason?"

"I know enough to know that this meeting is not official Invictus business." Anasztaz says, waving his hand as to brush off the whole idea away. In truth he didn't know much, their structure born just for the sake of hierarchy was something that he found somewhat unsavory.

"But you have been evasive; I take it as my prerogative to keep some small secrets to myself."

He smirked devilishly. It was a slight tease to cover the fact that he was thrown off by her constant fluctuation between fire and ice; he couldn't quite grasp it to work with it.

Ariana grinned playfully. Her internal struggle was perhaps evident. "Invictus tradition prohibits such an informality until a different sort of personal level is reached in a setting such as this." She tried to say in an unofficial tone, still trying to maintain the blithe atmosphere. She let her frame relax and become less rigid and poised in posture trying to become less formal in some other way.

"You are right, I have been a bit secretive." Her fingers gently touched the top of the keys, not playing a note. As if wanting to caress the power that they had conveyed. Her lips maintained no serious emotion, "What would you like to know?"

"I am not sure how much of Invictus tradition is secret, but for one it would be interesting to know what kind of personal level is required to achieve comfortable rapport." Anasztaz says, shrugging.

His mood was drifting slightly, and his body language showed it somewhat. If traditions made it so they could not really go past formalities, then it was a safe assumption that any kind of bonding would also be in breach.

At best he was tempting her to breach their code, and that wasn't his intent.

"Of course, that doesn't relate to you directly. Perhaps a better question would be why did you become awkward when you slipped the word sensuality before? Then again, that may be just Invictus protocol as well?"

Ariana wondered how many others were uncomfortable by her mannerisms. She had only been in these situations recently, and still did not know what to do. Her public and private persona nearly blended together, with one exception. Only one individual truly knew the depth of what she went through. Anasztaz had already trusted her by asking for her assistance in a very serious matter. Driving Anasztaz away was something she did not want to do. "I was conditioned in formalities from the beginning of my requiem. It is something that is hard to overcome," Ariana looked at him, even though he was not looking back. "Anasztaz."

Ariana’s fingers ran over the contours of the piano. “In regards to your other question, I suppose it may be that I never really speak those words out loud.” She laughed a little. “Moving to Sacramento has changed many things for me. Hopefully that change will continue.” Her lips curled into a smile, hopefully slowly putting him at ease again.

"Change is a necessary part of our stories, but I understand how hard it is put it in action. It is something I've written about, even.” Anasztaz says, smiling with the same warmth he had been displaying before. “I can help you break the shell, if you truly wish it so."

That she had acquiesced and broken the ice that was building between them showed willingness. He understood her reasons.

"I am formal out of necessity only. It is something I utterly loathe in the privacy of my home, or around those I bring with me to indulge."

A
    Ariana Donovan

Ariana laughed slightly, “I have always been formal, whether it be work or leisure.” With the exception of two recent incidents, she thought. “I never realized it would hinder me in a private setting.” Considering, she had not had many private circumstances, only three prior instances came to mind.

Her lack of experience to such private settings was probably evident. Ariana did not want to appear to be naïve by any means. Hopefully the damage done to her by her sire was not irreversible.

Maintaining the gaze they held. “Pianist and writer, yet another notion that I was unaware.” She whimsically inquired, “You speak of breaking a shell. What does this entail?”

"Breaking the shell is just an expression I am using now to denote the act of overcoming that which confines you. What does it mean exactly, and how you want to break through, is up to you." Anasztaz narrowed his shoulders slightly.

"It is a delicate matter. Change for the sake of change is dangerous. You need to look inside and choose what you want to leave behind, where you want to shed it, and how."

He felt again like an Ordo tutor. He was applying the same principles, after all, but to change the super-ego, instead of the vampiric curse.

"You can experiment with whatever you wish to leave behind, in a controlled environment, before you bring it out to the world. So, how far do you want to go?"

The way he spoke had been unequivocally flirtatious, as well as the look that followed and persisted.

Crossroads, there were so many lately. Ariana wanted to change and to break free from the cage she was kept in for so long. “Your mentions on change are something I should probably explore. I never thought I would be able to do so, it is something I never considered, yet only in passing thoughts. Which could be why I drown myself in work.”

She knew she would never leave the Invictus. Her beliefs in such order were strongly rooted, perhaps even some before her embrace of which her parents were unaware.

Ariana leaned gently onto the corner of the piano where there were no keys. “I am not sure it is a question of how far I want to go, but more so, where to begin. I understand your logic of experimenting, yet I ask again, what is it you mean?” Her voice still philandering as the smile did not leave her lips.

"Different starts lead to different ends, it is all connected." Anasztaz says, shaking his head and smiling bemusedly. The conversation was enjoyable on its own merit, but the seductive undertones made it exquisite.

"We made a step forward. You called me by my first name. You are also acting more relaxed around me. Your body language is speaking to me. Thus, I posit you have already made a start."

"I thought I was the one who did the dancing here, even if it may be rusty. Yet you pirouette around an answer to my question." Ariana gave a soft laugh.

She collapsed her hands gently in front of her as she leaned on the piano and her head tilted to the side. She nods as she speaks, "I agree, it is a start." Her eyes playfully narrow, "What is my body language saying to you?" She was definitely curious.

"I have evaded no question, I have answered them truthfully." Anasztaz chuckles. "Perhaps I have just not been giving the answer you wanted?"

He paused for a moment, reaching to caress the back of Ariana's hand. He raises his gaze to hers, just to study her reaction to it.

"But yes, it is telling me it wants me to take a step. I have been dragging it, haven't I?"

"No, perhaps there was no answer and they were only questions I may have formed in my head." She smirked.

There were earlier times she would have jerked away. Yet moving to this city, she tried desperately not to. She had watched his move to touch hers, and gentle smile came over her lips as she looked back at Anasztaz. "I think the pace so far is rather amiable."

"It is what I was aiming for, although I admit even now I feel as though it is a gamble." Anasztaz says, glancing down at his hand as it describes the contour of hers with a delicate touch.

"I half expect you to pull away, or flinch, and give me a cold 'Good evening, Mr. Veres' before departing." he adds a smile, raising his gaze to meet hers again. He was clearly testing her lines of comfort, knowing they were delicate and potentially volatile.

There was that part of Ariana that wanted to do exactly that, yet she did not give that away. The other part was given away in her eyes as they became fervid. She hated that she was awkward like this, fighting within herself. She snickered a little, "Are you often a gambler?"

Rising slightly from her position, her hand falling from her lap as Anasztaz's did the same. She glanced at the bench and asked, "May I sit?"

Anasztaz stands up from his seat, taking Ariana's hand with his and invitingly leading her across the room to an old loveseat. It was certainly more comfortable that the small piano bench, while keeping them still in an intimate distance.

"Only on personal affairs, and only when I think the odds favor me." he says, brushing a stray lock of her hair behind her ear. His lips parted slightly to reveal a hint of his fierce canines as he did so.

"I would much rather deal in calculated risk."

"I am quite certain I am throwing off your calculations."
    Ariana said in jest. "Risks, whether they be in personal or private affairs, are tricky in my opinion." Her head tilting slightly as he moved her hair.

"Calculations are relative as well."
    She said sitting down. "If you forget to factor something in the outcome can be the opposite of the goal you wish to accomplish." She was rambling a little as her hands laid in her lap. "Would you agree?"

"This is an exception to my usual." Anasztaz says, shaking his head. He holds himself back somewhat, bringing his hand back to describe the shape of his eyebrow as he leans against the back of his side of the loveseat.

He was having a fight of his own, clearly. Risk versus gain in the back of his cold and calculating mind thrashing against the rapacious Beast and his own libertine urges.

"Bringing you here and playing piano for you was a calculated move, I wished to repay your kindness and help with something you'd enjoy. I just didn't expect to see that hungry look in your eyes. I am not quite as much in control anymore."

Watching his gestures out of the corner of her eye, Ariana knew she was frustrating him in some way. She was good at reading non-verbal ques from people. It was how she knew to push someone in an interview and to what depths she could pry. "In all honesty, I did not realize it was there." Ariana said as she looked down to smooth the her slacks.

"Music can bring out a side of me I do not let people see. It is one of the few things I have indulged upon to let myself go, privately." She looked across the room at the piano as she spoke. "So full of expression and feeling, the power to change a mood by a tempo or key change. There are so few things that hold such simple power as that." A smile peeled over her lips as she spoke of it, yet she was talking too much, and she knew it. By now Ariana wondered if he thought he made that miscalculation.

"Ah, so it is the music and not the musician." Anasztaz quips, feigning offense to the comment. He crossed his arms and looked aside, and acted a pout. All part of the obvious act.

He turns back and smirks, breaking the dramatic demeanor.

"I might have read too much into it, my apologies." he shrugs, “I hope you don't think me pretentious."

If he had misread, he had already risked too much - but she hadn't refused his touch. His worst side was asking him to stand and play the Moonlight Sonata but he forced it down, it would have been too obvious.

Ariana shook her head to his musician comment. "I am here because of the musician." She said as she put her hand on his lap. "Do not apologize, it is unnecessary." A sweetened smile slipped onto her lips.

She leaned in closer to him. "And the musician is the fundamental part of what drives the music and its emotions." Her voice was softer and more inviting than it had been previously.

"Then, Madam, I ask you to unmask." Anasztaz says, in obvious reference to the farce of conditioned inhibitions that held her and his advances back. She was incapable of being drawn to act, that much was clear. He would have had to show his hand.

Cupping his hand on her cheek and leaning forward, he parts his lips slightly as they approach hers. The Beast and his own vices always seemed to win.

As he spoke, Ariana wondered what level of unmasking she was willing to do just yet. As Anasztaz's face came close to hers she let the mood persuade her. She moved forward and let her lips match his. Her hand on his leg made a soft gesture when their lips met. Her eyes closed as she became lost inside the moment. The rest of her torso leaned forward more as her thoughts raced. Ariana's beast was slowly giving her mixed signals, much like everything else that night.

The kiss was soft, tender, albeit brief. It had been exploratory, to gauge her reaction to a physical advance and to observe the outcome. He leaned back, his eyes still on hers as he rests against the back of the loveseat.

"So much tension, isn't it better somewhat dispelled?" Anasztaz asks, with a warm smile upon his lips now.

Ariana nodded and smiled back. "Yes, I believe it is." She turned to him and said in a quiet voice. "You were right about change and when the time is right. Yet, this is a step in the right direction." There was something she still needed to figure out before she made that step. "Waiting to over indulge myself may be a wise idea for now." She laughed a little implying that she was content for the moment.

Leaning toward him again she spoke in a whisper. "But this, is quite enjoyable." Ariana's face close to his again, hoping that she was not entirely confusing. She did not want him to think she was not interested, since it was quite the opposite.

"Definitely." Anasztaz says. His smile lingers and he nods slightly.

He was glad that they were on the same note. Anything too brash would have been irresponsible. Changes creates ripples that can become waves. He had already risked too much.

"Still, I thought we might have gone dizzy from so much back and forth, and if we hadn't at least got this much for ourselves."

Ariana slipped her hand into his and looked him in the eyes, "I am sorry for that." Her lips turned into a smile nearly predatory. "Will I be forgiven?" Her eyes had a certain glint of teasing.

"Forgiveness, when simply given, is insignificant. The path of redemption requires contrition." Anasztaz says somewhat solemnly, in his best impersonation of a Sanctified preacher.

He breaks it with a mischievous smirk, his eyes glinting with it.

"Sanctimonious, yet applicable. We'll see. I'll let you know." he winks.

Ariana smiled with an accidental wink. "I should be going. I still have a lot of articles to approve before the morning run." She rose from the loveseat and took a step, but she turned around. Quickly leaning in, leading her lips to osculation with his one last time. It was the boldest thing she had done that evening.

"I will not forget about the favor you asked me for earlier." She said implying the embrace. "Perhaps the next time I visit, I will dance for you. Despite the fact that I am rather out of practice." She said in jest.

"A suitable act of penitence" Anasztaz nods.

Standing and accompanying her to the door of his humble abode, she waves her off before returning to his piano to spend the few hours left of the evening perfecting his craft.

Ripples that become waves.
    The act had been small enough on itself, but it bore a much greater symbolic significance and it would indubitably lead to certain consequences. Now it was just a matter of following the dragon's tail, to see where it led.

Closed Thread

Members who have read this thread : 0

You do not have permission to view the list of names.