This follows Eternal Court XV

Asa ascended the stair from Avalon's underground Court, pausing for a few moments to loosen his tie. He rolled the silk ribbon neatly into a ball, handing it to Nika. There was a brief exchange, during which he gestured at the stairs, then Nika nodded and left, moving purposefully.

For his own part, Asa stepped up to the bar, going through the routine of habit as he took a drink and a folder from the bartender. He remained standing at the bar, opening the folder to skim the records of the night.

*Ciara had come upstairs sometime ago, simply killing time by mingling with the mortals. Perhaps she would find new contacts within the city, perhaps new members for her stable. However, she pulls herself away from the conversation she's engaged in once she notices the Prince some upstairs, placing an untouched drink on the bar as she moves closer. She waits for Asa to finish skimming the paperwork before speaking.* I can recommend a good accountant, if you need one... *She teases softly, leaning slightly on the bar, a soft smile parting her lips as she awaits the Prince's response.*

Asa noticed the pressure of the Beast before he looked up, and his eyes crinkled in amusement and curiosity as he closed the folder. He slid it back across the bar, finished with it, as he turned to give Ciara his attention.

"A good manager would be even more welcome,"
he answered, shaking his head slightly as the corner of his mouth dipped slightly in a wry, self-deprecating frown. "Although, there's a case to be made for me doing it more out of habit than actual necessity."

He put an elbow on the bar, leaning on it slightly, as if to match her own casual pose.

"I'd offer to buy you a drink, but...,"
Asa let the rest of the sentence trail off, smiling again. Obviously both of their drinks were for show and she didn't need another, but his tone was playful with a questioning quality -- as if seeing if they were resuming their banter and alluding to the reason a man usually bought a woman a drink.

*Ciara nods.* Well, you know what they say about finding good help... *The fact that keeping good help, once found, was much easier for the Kindred, and Ventrue in particular, is left unsaid. Instead she lifts her drink, finishing the Prince's sentence." ...I have more than I need. *She says with a faint smile.*

*She places the drink back down on the bar, slowly running a fingertip along the rim of the wide mouthed glass. It might have been meant to be flirtatious. Maybe it helped her to put into words the thoughts in her head. Perhaps it was just something to do with her hands. Either way, the thin Ventrue is momentarily distracted by the little rings that appear in the whiskey as it vibrates to her touch.

Ciara is still looking down into the dark amber liquid as she speaks.* I thought I would see if I could tear you away from your work before I go home for the evening. Unless you have your pleasure for the evening planned out as well? *She looks up, a knowing smile parting her lips as she locks eyes with the Prince. She didn't need to name which pleasure she was referring to, as it was so familiar to the both of them*

Asa gave a small smile and nodded at the comment about help, thinking as much of the Kindred about the city as Avalon staff. He was still surprised by Arnold Culler. His thoughts don't linger long on the Haunt, or a questionable need for Monster.com, as he follows the movement of her finger and then raises an eyebrow at her words.

He was often caught in the position of not knowing whether someone was being honest with him, or not wanting to upset or offend him. He was still too close to a time when he remembered exactly what it was like to deal with Freddrick to let casual arrogance and indifference replace empathy. And so the words, and realization that she was still here because she'd meant 'later', were... liberating.

He straightened himself from leaning on the bar, and took a half step closer as he kept his eyes on hers. Reaching up, he touched her shoulder, and let his hand slide around and down her back, drifting of the soft, smooth black fabric of the dress until coming to rest on the thin waist.

"Tear me away from all this?"
Asa replied, tilting his head toward the bar and folder full of accounting statements. It was a subtle way of saying that had been the only thing on his agenda, and the hand on her waist tightened every so slightly, as if to pull her closer.

"I would love to continue our dance."

*There's no resistance to the touch, the female Ventrue instead inclining her head slightly towards the man's hand. Ciara smiles at the caress, moving closer on her own as it becomes clear where the Prince's interests for the night lay. She can't help but laugh at the offer to continue the dance from earlier; though it is not a mocking laugh. Her eyes sparkle with mischief, Ciara enjoying the dance they were already performing. * Sir, you a brave man indeed... *She teases softly, holding her hand out for Clarke to once again take the lead.*

"Didn't Virgil say that fortune favored the bold?"
Asa answered, sliding hid hand across the small of her back as he turned. He gently led Ciara away from the bar, turning towards the upward stairs rather than the dance floor, gesturing upward to the railing and balcony that surrounded the open pit of the dance floor.

"I'd prefer a bit more privacy,"
he explained, his eyes becoming more focused and intent to the woman.

In a fluid, powerful motion he bent, sliding an arm behind her knees and sweeping her up to cradle her in his arms. Grinning, he began ascending the stairs.

"And, please feel free to call me Asa now that we're not in Court, if you like,"
he added as he smoothly ascended the steps. His tone became playful and humorous at the last, knowing that many women found power attractive, and using labels and titles affirmed and reinforced their conquest.

And I'm sure many an undertaker has made a good living off those who listened to Virgil. *Ciara moves easily as Asa directs, looking up to raise a questioning eyebrow as they are steered towards the stairway. She nods, her smile turning playful at his request.* You'll have to remember to stay away from the rail then, unless you want half the eyes in club on you. I imagine avoiding attention is difficult in these settings...

*A thin hand reaches out to steady herself on the way up the stairs, Ciara not expecting the sudden motion by Asa. A surprised "Eep" escapes from the woman's lips, arms instinctively wrapping around the Prince's neck and holding tight in an unnecessary attempt to steady herself. She looks town, trying to determine what she had tripped on before realizing she was being carried up the stair.

She calms once she's certain she's safe, content to be lofted along by the other Ventrue up the the second floor. Her arms remain around Asa's neck hower, though not as tightly as before.* Asa, hmm? Aren't you getting ahead of yourself? I thought you people had rules about using first names... *The grin grows a little wider, Ciara obviously teasing the Prince as they make their way up the stairs.*

"But one can hardly blame Virgil for those unfortunate souls who were possessed of greater courage than means," Asa answered with a soft laugh. It was even more evident in a culture like theirs, unfettered by due process and often given to Elder whim.

The laugh continued at the undignified exclamation, Asa being so used to seeing the other Ventrue in calm control of herself. He turned his head slightly at the feel of the hand, looking down at Ciara as he finished climbing the steps. As if silently answering her other words, he slid along the dark wall, well away from the railing and light of the dance floor.

"'You people',"
he echoed, mirroring her smile. "I suppose we do have some rules, but it's all in how you perceive them. One might find their first name being used offensive if they would be embarrassed to have been intimate with the user."

At the word intimate, he dipped his head, kissing her briefly.

"Or one might use another's first name to signify interest in an intimate relationship."

He dipped his head again; this time, the kiss wasn't chaste, longer, deeper, with a barely concealed insistence.

*Ciara looks up at the man carrying her as he laughs at her reaction, scowling in that "I'm glad you're enjoying this" way. But she doesn't fight or resist the action.

She is content to be carried, silently thankful Asa is taking her to a more private section. While she enjoyed a little bit of exhibition for exhibition's sake; anything personal she preferred to do in private. She returns the soft kiss, any eyebrow lifting at the Prince's word; but the second kiss comes before she can speak.

Arms tighten around his neck, lips parting softly as thin fingers play with the hair on the back of his head. Ciara pulls herself a little tighter against Asa, but all amusement had left her face once he pulls back from her.

She had heard sweet words before, a lifetime and an ocean away. If she was going to take the leap of faith and open herself to him, to allow herself to trust again, she had to know what the expectations were to be.*

And which is you you desire, Asa? Intimacy? Or a relationship?

sa's eyes crinkled in thought as he studied Ciara, and the sudden change from playful and flirtatious to serious -- and the question. It was one he'd given no thought to, and so fell silent, as he did so.

"The arm's length of distance between us has always been the measure ofyour arm,"
he answered, speaking softly. "However... you surely must know that I am committed to my House...?"

He fell silent, not wanting to make assumptions about her meaning, or the intent. He remained relaxed, holding her slight weight easily in the darkness, but ready to set her down if she made the indication.

*Where Asa turns serious, Ciara remains smiling. But it was a false joviality, to keep the mask of enjoyment from falling from her face. He reminded her of a man telling his mistress he could never leave his wife. And while she had no intention of coming between the Ventrue and his House, it was a look she knew all too well. Ciara can hear the voice in the back of her head whispering once more, warning her, reminding her of the events of her mortal days. She pushes it back, telling it this was different. She wasn't dominant but she was in control of the situation, unlike during her mortal days.*

I wasn't about to interject myself into your personal affairs. I simply need to know if what happens tonight will still remain once the sun comes up or if it will burn away like the morning dew. I have no expectations, and I make no demands. I just want to know where we'll stand after we lie...
*She grins impishly, leaning up to nibble on the other Ventrue's ear. She didn't want to kill the mood too much; it was struggle enough to overcome her own fears.*

Asa took an involuntary breath, and ducked his ear slightly.

"Well the first thing for you to know is that is one of my 'Go' buttons," he explained, a slight flush warming his face as he tried to re-assemble his thoughts.

"As for casualties of the daystar, I'm not certain what you're asking. I don't think I've ever treated you casually. If you're asking if I'm simply putting another notch in my bedpost, that is a resounding 'no'," he continued, looking at the woman seriously. Whether others realized it or not, he was quite picky about who he slept with.

That same serious expression showed he wasn't being evasive or dissembling: the truth was, Asa Clarke had never had a talk like this before. He wasn't sure if she was asking if they would be better friends, or hang out more, or if she could have Rack rights... although he doubted the latter.

A small smile parted his lips as he thought of her having this talk with Twist, knowing damn well the petite Daeva would have less of a clue than he did about how to answer.

Gently, he set her down close to a dark wall, but remained close, his hand still around her. The other one slid over the silky blackness of the dress, following the soft curves and lines of her until it rested on her other hip. He leaned down to kiss the slender woman again, pulling her tight up against him.

Breaking the kiss, but not pulling away; he spoke again, barely a whisper, "You waited for me, because you wanted this. It's happening, now. Let go, enjoy yourself. Trust me."

He waited, curious, to see if she could truly surrender.

*Ciara sighs as she's put down, bowing her head after the kiss* Please, forgive me. I've practiced for speaking in public for so long, sometimes my words fail me in private. I simply wished to know if you would want me to maintain that arm's length distance in the future. *Old fears bubble to the surface; of rejection, of being pushed back in the cupboard of secrets after the fun had been had. She'd long ago learned to accept such things, but couldn't bear the thought of being surprised by them; better to know it's coming and be prepared.

She had other fears, but Clarke had answered them. And in spite of her own doubts, Ciara couldn't help but believe his words.* No, sir, you have always treated me evenly; perhaps even when I did not deserve it.

She leans back against the wall, using it for support as she wonders what to do next; growing silent even as the sounds of the club drift up from below. When she does looks back up, it's with a tenderness and vulnerability she had not let others see in a very long time.* Why not, it can't hurt any worst then the last time... *She thinks to herself.

She leans her head up, hesitating for just a moment before moving her head slightly to the side; lips chasing up Asa's neck towards the ear that got away. At the same time, she covers the hand on her hip with hers; moving it down her leg and towards the hem of her dress.*

This time, Asa doesn't dodge away. Due diligence was done; warning given. Whether Ciara's small hand directs his, or it was already moving itself was anyone's guess. When it found the ending edge of the black fabric, it slid up and under it, raising the hem and lifting her slender leg.

"It. Is. You,"
he almost growled, his movements more insistent than his normally cool demeanor. As if mirroring her, his other hand took hers and moved it between them, showing her his excitement.

In a counterpoint to his insistent actions, he turned his head to look at her again, pulling his ear away. His eyes were bright with excitement and lust, but there was also something soft and understanding; compassionate, yet confident.

"Why did you call me 'sir'? You're pulling away, I'm not pushing you."

To punctuate his words, or intent, his hand released hers, and unzipped his slacks, as if the words they spoke and what their bodies were doing were entirely separate.

I'm not pulling away, I'm... *Ciara does growl, a low primal sound born of frustration. Not at him, and not at herself, but at the situation. How to explain how she thinks, what she feels, the events that have driven her to solitude for over a century in a half? If she stopped to explain it now, she would talk herself out of actions they both desired. She had done so once before, she wouldn't allow it to happen again.

She leans her head up, not to go after Asa's ear again but to rest her head on his shoulder. Her voice drops to a whisper, the playful tone replaced with one of barely constrained anticipation. And perhaps a slight undercurrent of apprehension.* I will explain later. But right now, no more words. All you need to know is I'm willing, and I'm waiting. Take the lead and I will follow, just like the dance...

*As if to punctuate her intentions; Ciara moves her hand back to where Asa had placed it. This time thin fingers slip under the waistband of slacks and undergarments to caress the bare flesh of his stomach before slipping lower.*

Fade to Black