Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletinEdge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Ended
Watch

Irea Dimelo Glimpses

THREADID

PRE

Irea walked silently through the straight hedgerows, her sneaker clad feet ghosting over the loam with the ease of necessity. Blades of moonlight cut through the clouds, sending bright shafts through the overhanging ivy gables as the sanitarium visitor moved forward, her uniform bursting into shining pearl whenever she passed through those ice-white wings of light. The subtle whispers of twig against leaf rose as the wind breathed past, bringing the earthy scent of iron in its wake. Eyes widening, her feet flew as she rounded corners and ducked through the winding green maze. A wall of thorns and vines blocked the path ahead but Irea struggled through, the briars raking bloody furrows in her skin until dark red stains flecked across her scrubs. Sweat ran into the cuts, the salty liquid mixing with her blood, but she ignored the wasp stings as she struggled on. She needed to find Renee, needed to bring her back to the ward inside the Sanatorium. In the dead of night, before the witching hour ruled, Renee had fled from her room after their late night visit and the moments before dawn were slipping away fast.

Renee had been the one who had combed her hair, the one who had cooked the meals, and the one who had brought her to dance lessons, but know it was Renee who needed the care; that was why Irea pelted left and right through this maze, stumbling over broken statuary and tearing through the ivy covered gables. For in their long debates in the midnight hours, when Irea bribed the orderlies to let her visit past the regulated times, Renee had revealed that she was trying to go home, home to the lands Beyond-the-Fields-we-Know, traveling widdershins with a pint of blood, a lock of hair, and passage through the Gate. Walls couldn’t hold the foundlings of her mind, Renee would say, for when the lunar sanctum unlocked its gates the pathways through the Hedge would be released from their iron burden. Metal screamed every night while Renee lay in bed, buckling and trembling with the strain of the Moon’s pull, shaking her walls until she would stumble into the rec-room, eyes surrounded by bruised kohl and covered in matrixes of blood. Irea would watch over her sister as she slumped boneless in the corner, eyes fixed on a great cataract eye which sat spinning complacently in the darkness.

A thousands images of those times flashed behind Irea’s eyes as her feet carried her to a dead end. Blood thudded behind her eyes, roaring through her wrists, filling the rivers of flesh beneath her neck and choking her with the pulse. The verdant wall mocked Irea as it swayed in the winds grasp, a dark wound swelling at its base. A glimmer of pink showed beneath the mass of branches as she dove down into the hole. Her eyes became level with a lone slipper, covered in mud beneath the hedge, the teddy bear print on it stained and torn. Scrambling into the gaping hole beneath the bush, she fought against the razor cuts from the branches, her fingers clawing her forward through the damp soil.

Gasping for breath, Irea emerged into the heart of the labyrinth, eyes bulging as her gaze roved over the wooded doors of the old gate. The great timbered doors hung ajar, painted with streams of crimson lifeblood and the dark shadow of a single midnight tress. At her feet lay a rusted handsaw, the gaping teeth holding a single scrap of pink flannel, where a trail of creeping liquid led towards the stone step of the Gate. Laughter floated through the open doors, echoing with whimsy off of the twitching hedges and bloody saw. The scent of earth and forest, of blood and cloth, like twisting snaked panes of looking-glass crept from inside the hallowed timber portal. Each step forward snagged and sank deep into the grass-like sand running through an hourglass. The Moon hung overhead like a fat, corpse-white ulcer, blending white with the putrid glow of gore caked emeralds in swirling blazes. Beyond the Gate a great wood stretched over a maze of hedgerows which ran far into the verdant, eclipsed horizon. A hand grasped Irea’s fingers; an arm in a torn, bloodstained pink sleeve pulling her through the doors. The world collapsed into the rotten core of the Irea Dimelo’s mind as she was pulled through the Gate.

With barely a whisper the Gate closed behind the two sisters and in the space between blinks the gate disappeared, a soft ripple flowing through the air it had occupied. Renee’s hand still clutched at Irea, the blood from her rent wrist cascading over Irea’s fingers before dropping into the rich loam beneath their feet. The stream of gore remained steady, its warm trickles finally drawing Irea’s blank gaze to her sister’s wounded arm. Soft pattering noises rose through the earthy air, mixing with the ever-present whisper of the Endless Forrest. With a choked gasp, Irea came to herself and immediately sat Renee down.

“Oh heaven above, sister! What where you doing? We, we have to get you help, we have to stop the blood,” Irea cried, desperately clutching at her sisters arm.

“You don’t have to worry now, Rea, you’ll never have to stop dancing again. We’re in Faerie,” Renee babbled, her drooping eye’s bright with madness. She swayed to and fro as Irea ripped off the rest of the pink flannel sleeve and quickly tied it above the wound, binding the cloth till it bit into the flesh and turned the skin corpse-white. The blood dribbled out of the wound and began forming a layer of hardened gore over the wound until the bleeding stopped. The young dancer continued talking to Renee, trying to coax the way back home from the tittering lunatic.

Yet far above the frantic shreds of whispered giggles, far in the canopy of a mighty tree, something lurked. It smelled the rich perfume of spilled blood, could feel it curl in the air and float like velvet smoke into the recesses of its mouth. A fanged smile bloomed over the sisters’ heads, a sudden trill making them fall silent. But then drums began to beat in the distance, the pounding rhythm echoing from massive briars stretching between the looming trees, responding to its Lady’s call. More trills sounded in response from the woods, bouncing from thorn covered bows and the blood infused loam. Irea sprang to her feet, eyes straining, trying to creep from her skull as she searched the twilight woods, mouth forming the words to a useless prayer.

The noise crescendoed as the Thing-from-the-Trees lowered into the clearing on shimmering butterfly wings. It was a figure in sparkling green silk, glinting impossibly bright in the gloom, iridescent eyes gazing heartlessly into Irea’s own brown orbs. The figure floated above the ground, its feminine form perfect in all dimensions, until eight slim legs of carapace slid from behind her back and supported her weight. A Fae Lady with skin like porcelain, hair like cascades of silk over delicate pointed ears stood before them on great spider’s legs, her mouth breaking into a fang-filled grin.

“All who spill blood before Imrhien, The Mistress of Dark Verdance, owe the blood to Her,” The Fae stated, her haunting voice echoing over the sound of dry rustling, like moth-wings in the dark. “Yet, methinks I see yonder blood falling into the earth, nourishing the worms who eat kings. Thus I, Imrhien, claim my Sacrifice from those who so carelessly waste their Flesh.”

Irea’s mouthed opened, a weak gasp being freed, as the trees came alive with female bodies and scuttling spider limbs. Renee merely laughed as They descended.

PRE

“Dark and river swift,
    Cold as stone, smooth as ice,
    Vicious as flame,
    Biting as shattered glass,
    Pure and refined,
    Its edge writes history,
    With life’s blood.”
    -Attributed to Cornelius of the Silent Arrow

“You never get tired of such...dreadful colours, do you, Irea? You’re wardrobe is a sea of black with a few pitiful islands of brightness.”

The words issued from the phone speakers like hissing smoke and Irea felt her heart flutter. She nearly dropped the phone. She blinked rapidly and strode away from the group she had been talking to, her face utterly blank, expressionless, colourless as snow. She passed through the doors to the Commons and strode into the hallways of the Four Seasons Hotel, her gaze fixed unblinkingly ahead.

“I know you are there, Irea. You breathe loudly.”

The Darkling’s breath caught at those words, and she couldn’t help sparing a look around, which attracted a few curious stares from customers in the hotel lobby. She quickened her pace and gripped the phone tighter, fighting down the urge to bolt into the street. Passing through the revolving doors of the building, the Darkling moved onto the sidewalk and then turned down an alley a block away from the Four Seasons.

“Cornelius, what are you doing in my home?” she demanded, spitting the words into the phone, her eyes glinting as she scanned her surroundings.

“Waiting for you, dear. Something has come up, something that we must discuss, and I’m afraid you won’t like it. I did, however, bring a good vintage. This doesn’t have to be an entirely joyless visit.”

“Yes, it does have to be joyless. Since when does a Silent Arrow ever bring joy? By coming from the Freehold of Angels, you have put me in danger Cornelius. Why did you come?”

“Now, now, I would hold that tongue, if I were you. I have put no one in danger,” the voice replied, anger riding subtly beneath every syllable. “I do this as a courtesy to you and I would appreciate the same in return. So please hurry back to your hidey hole so that we may trade words.”

Irea blinked and quickened her pace. Cornelius had always been bristly, especially when anyone tried to place blame on him, but his words carried more than just annoyance and pricked pride.

“I’ll be there soon, but I won’t thank you until after we speak. You should have known I would not greet you readily.”

“Perhaps, dove,” the voice admitted. “Just hurry back. Your decorations are very dull.” The phone clicked off.

The sun was beginning to set when Irea finally got home, although she slipped through the bathroom window via her fire-escape instead of coming through the front door. She had carefully watched the apartment building and talked to a few of the neighbors to make sure that nothing else was amiss. Just the thought of someone invading her home had her on edge, and she wanted to take every precaution that she could, even if it was someone that she knew. As she crept further into her home, however, she noticed that nothing was amiss until she came in view of the kitchen and caught sight of Cornelius sitting at her dining room table. He had two crystal glasses and an unopened bottle of Merlot keeping him company.

Irea had never figured out how he managed to avoid attracting attention with looks like his, or with a taste in clothing as expensive as his. Just his shoes alone were probably worth more than her rent every month. Nevertheless, none of her neighbors had mentioned seeing him, not even the paranoid war veteran who kept a telescope looking over their street at odd hours of the day. She stared back at Cornelius as he regarded her with pale grey eyes set in a face only a master sculptor could have envisioned, and then gestured with a gloved hand at the chair opposite him. She approached soundlessly and sank into the chair, watching while he opened the bottle, poured wine for them both, and sipped slowly from his own glass.

“You’re not going to like what I have to say, but you should believe it to be true regardless. Your friends would thank you, if they knew, and they would find it unpleasant if this warning goes unheeded.”

Irea narrowed her eyes slightly and raised her glass to her lips, sipping lightly. Even without having aired properly it was exquisite, but it went unappreciated in the wake of her old mentors words. “I doubt that anything having to do with me would be so dire,” she replied.

Cornelius laughed, the sound chill and smooth as frozen steel. “Well, it both is and isn’t. For the nonce its just you who should worry, but it has the potential to become much, much worse. So heed what I tell you. You managed to slip away before She found you, but not well enough, I'm afraid. She's sent a few servants after you, a fetch and some privateers to be specific, to try and gleam information on where you went, doubtless with the intent to hunt you. Odd that She’s so interested in you, but not every one has good taste, I suppose.”

“Tis surprising, but I feel much the same,” Irea replied icily. Her mind whirled with the possibilities and dark portents of the information Cornelius was giving her, but the banter helped keep her grounded.

“Well, regardless, that is just the beginning of this tale. You see, the reason why I have come is because of two things. For one, this is just a quick rest stop on my way elsewhere-"

“As you say,” Irea replied wryly.

“-and for two," he continued, ignoring the interruption, "I managed to stumble across a traitor in the Hold. One of our forgers had an apprentice disappear on the quick after stealing information on some of his clients. You, by the way, happen to have been one of his clients...I’m afraid that, in addition to an ID, he also sold you the car which is broken down outside. It’s really only a matter of time before this information gets into the heads of those searching for you, and unfortunately I cannot help you. I have my duties, and none of our court wish to involve themselves. The rest of the Freehold of Angels feels much the same, being preoccupied with a small war as they are. Besides, the information taken wasn’t hugely important, or valuable, much of it was old and useless. Most don’t care. I figured that you might, however.”

There was a loud clatter of a chair overturning, the sound of wood bouncing off linoleum echoing through the room. Hands flashed upwards, clutching her head, and she spun away, acid burning her lungs as she lurched forward. Her eyes blurred and she stumbled into the living room. Half falling, half leaning, she braced herself against the couch, fingers digging into the fabric, tendons popping beneath her skin. Breath came in ragged bursts, and the room tilted and darkened, seeming to swing beneath her feet and pitch drunkenly. After all the care she had taken, all the time and thought and hope she had pledged into disappearing from the Thing that had taken her--The shadows lengthened into vast spiders limbs, and the vapid beat of moth wings echoed in her head.

The floor pitched again and her stomach heaved as she choked back a scream. Her heart was a great drum, beating, beating, pounding through her ribs, into her throat, bloating her arteries. Her stomach knotted and churned again, and she almost fell when she lurched away from the couch towards the bathroom. It was only after several minutes of crouching over the toilet bowl that her insides stopped revolting, but the taste of bile clung in her mouth. Suddenly, a presence filled the doorway and she snapped her gaze up to find Cornelius staring down at her.

“What…what do I do? What can I do?”
    she pleaded, hysterics hovering beyond her words.

“What I taught you to do,” he replied simply, dropping something at his feet contemptuously before striding away. She heard the door shut and the lock turn, but she was focused on trying to slow her breathing and keep from choking on tears.

It was only when she had calmed down that she saw a naked dagger lying in the threshold of the bathroom, its bright steel edge glinting against a blackened blade...

Please read

Closed Thread