Ariana was trying to write an article for a recent spring fundraising gala she had attended the evening before. She sat at her desk at the Bee and struggled with putting her thoughts together. Her mind was racing and she usually did not have this problem. When she was in New York, she was so work focused, that everything came to her with ease. If she was not at the paper, she was busy running errands for Lord Bainsworth. Even with the trio involving Thomas and Conner, she was uncertain she fit in with most of the Kindred. Yet by comparison to New York, she was at least socializing somewhat with her peers. Often when she was troubled, her editor Louie would always make her laugh or have some philosophical statement that seemed to put her back on track. He was the only one Ariana ever spoke candidly to, and only in his office. He was gay after all, everything seemed to be candid with him and she missed it. Louie was the the last mortal she had any real ties to, the one who kept her grounded for the last seven years of her requiem.

Decidedly, she thought she would take a walk to clear her head and call Louie. Even though she was out of Bainsworth's web, she still felt bound. Maybe Louie would clear her head a little. Leaving her purse locked in her desk, she headed downstairs and outside. It was early enough in the evening and she dialed the number. "Ariana!" His voice sounded tired and weak, but still enthused. "It's about time you called girl. I'm tired of all the 'work, call you later' text messages."

"It is great to hear your voice again Louie, did I wake you?" Ariana felt bad for a moment until he cut her off quickly.

"Uh, yeah, but it's ok.”
His voice had a slight indication that he may be lying, but she did not push the issue. "Your timing is excellent, I was on the phone with the SacBee's editor-in-chief today."

"Oh? For what? I seriously hope you are not instigating something." She added with a slight chuckle as she rounded the corner of another block.

"Oh no no 'Ana, this is for your own good."
He laughed weakly. "I had called to make sure they got my other letter. About you." He added quickly.

"Your other letter? Louie, what did you do now?" Ariana said in earnest, but jokingly. He told her many times in New York, that if he was to quit or retire that she should have his job.

“Well you know Brandt is long over due to retire. As soon as that happens, Dale Henderson said the position was yours. But only on the condition that you still do reviews once in a while, Dale loves your work.” Louie sounded exhausted, but still happy.

Ariana was a little shocked. “Wow, here I thought Mr. Henderson and Mr. Brandt did not like a thing I wrote. He was always finding some way to chop it to the bone. Not to mention their redundant questions they require on all interviews. It does not feel natural.”

“Well, Dale reads the originals before they are made into bird food. But anyway, what else is new? Hot guys, wild parties, amazing food?”
He did not seem to have his usual excitement. "You are in Cali now, time to live it up." Funny he said live, she thought.

Trying not to be entirely detailed she replied, somewhat sadly, “Well, it is definitely different here. I am still not entirely sure I want to stay. I have been sort of involved in a group with a focus on helping others further personal academics and studies.” She hated lying to Louie, but how else would she explain the coterie to him. “I will also be moving to a new house. I will text you the address when it is all finalized. Does your man still have my stuff in the garage, I think it was only three boxes.” Ariana had a feeling that she was being followed for some reason.

“Yup, I can have Blaine get it ready for you honey. It sounds like things are going better for you in Sac than they did in here. You can’t seriously miss us that bad?” His voice was once full of life and such enthusiasm, but he seemed to struggle putting words together.

“Louie, what is going on? Why do you sound tired and drained? Do not give me the same work is murder excuses.”
She said with a slight tone of sarcasm in the last sentence.

"Oh don't you worry your pretty little red head 'Ana. I'll be fine." Louie forced himself to sound normal.

"You know I do not like the word fine. Please tell me what is going on." Her voice had the tiniest air of nervous pleading.

“Well, I spose I should tell you.” Louie had an abnormally long pause. Like there was an internal debate. “I have cancer.”

What!?” Normally Ariana had kept calm at certain devastating news, mainly because it never directly involved her, she could not help it this time. She had turned down an alley wondering if whoever it was would continue, or if it was Conner.

“Yeah, I'm undergoing chemo and radiation right now. The prognosis is hopeful and Blaine has been so good to me.” Even though he was weak, he did sound in slightly good spirits.

“Well, what type of cancer is it? Do you need anything from me? I can drop everything and fly back tomorrow.”
She would, her only real ties to Sacramento were Conner and possibly Thomas. Right now, her anger for the illness Louie had made the need for control from her Ventrue blood seep through her veins. Part of her wanted to save him, but would it really be saving?

“Oh no no, Ariana.” Louie argued, “You need to focus on you for once. It’s a brain tumor. It’s no big deal, I will get through it dear, just watch.” He said with a little hopeful laugh. " 'Sides, Blaine is taking me to Hawaii after this first mess of drug crap is ova."

She really wanted to help in her own way, but she hated to curse anyone like this. “Really, it would not be…”

She was suddenly interrupted by a deep male voice. “Lady, hand over your purse.” She heard the click of a gun.

“Uh, Louie, I will call you back in a second, I am next in line to pay for dinner.” She hung up the phone, slipped in her pocket and whirled around.

“Dinner lady?”
The tall punk looking 20 year old laughed. “Well, this ain't dinner and a show, so hand over the purse.”

Ariana furrowed her brow. “Does it look like I am carrying a purse?” Her voice remained calm.

“Well, if that’s the case bitch,” He put his gun in the back of his pants, cracked his knuckles and moved into slight stance. “I'm gonna take something else I need.”

Laughing, yet with an irritated tone, Ariana said, “You do not need anything, you lowlife.”

“You stupid whore. I’ma gonna fuck ya, you’re gonna like it, and you’re not going to scream.”

True, she was not going to scream, she rolled her eyes. “You have got to be kidding me.”

He lunged at her, first grabbing a breast then his hand was moving to her legs. In a flash. she grabbed both of his arms and held them at his sides. He had a look of shock come over his face. She pulled the punk in closer and sunk her teeth into his flesh. As the warm essence hit her tongue, she began to drink. The beautiful liquid rushed down her throat and she realized that his blood was Arbor Mist and she preferred Bordeaux. For as angry as Ariana was at the situation, and her recent news of Louie, she wanted to drain him dry. But she would not. She licked his wounds shut not spilling a drop and let him to the ground easily. While he was still in a daze, she bent down and grabbed his face and looked in his eyes.

Ariana’s voice had a slight hypnotic tone as she spoke. “You will remember nothing that just happened. From here forward, your arousal will diminish anytime you touch any woman. You will never attack a woman again. Is this clear to you?” The man weakly nodded. She broke eye contact and let him go.

He began to come around a little and she looked at him with sudden concern. “Sir, are you okay? You tripped and hit your head.” He nodded, then got up and quickly stumbled away.

Ariana walked out of the alley pulling her phone out of her pocket to call Louie back. “Hey Louie, sorry about that. People have a tendency to get crazy around food sometimes.” She quickly changed back to the prior subject. “So will you need surgery? Where is it located in your head?” If something happened to Louie, it was possible that she may turn become as viscous as some of her peers. Perhaps he was also a factor along with Bainsworth of containing her Ventrue blood. Hopefully, Ariana would never need to find out.

Louie replied, “Enough of about fucking cancer.” His voice then changed to a happy lilt. “So in other news, when are you going to finally get over Chad and start screwing all the hot boys that hit on you?” He said with a loud and happy laugh.

Funny, he still bought the old boyfriend excuse. Ariana smiled and chuckled slightly, “Uh, well, yeah…about that….”