Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletinEdge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Ended
Watch

Delving Deep

THREADID
    C
    Conner Greyson

Cheyenne drove around the side the of the building and pulled up to the front door of the Ember. She stepped out of the car and walked around the car to the passenger side. The car was a black sedan with tinted windows. Cheyenne wore a smart ladies suit, skirt just below the knees and a very smart looking blazer. The suit was gray in color and on her feet was a conservative pair of pumps.

Cheyenne waited patiently for her Master's guest to arrive. Her face blank and emotionless just like her master's.

Ariana had left the club and walked into the night air. Still wearing her simple elegant white dress, which she wished she could have changed out of before going to this meeting. She recognized Cheyenne and walked towards the vehicle. Looking at her blank gaze Ariana met her with a smile. "Hello Cheyenne, thank you for waiting." She had respect for everyone, including humans, so she waited until Cheyenne gave her a sign to get into the car.

Cheyenne opened the door to the spacious back door. As she did she bowed her head, not making eye contact with her better. She said nothing to the Ventrue, merely waiting for the woman to slide into the car. Once the woman had taken her seat in the car Cheyenne gently closed the door and walked around to the drivers side. She got into the car and drove off.

Through the speakers was a soft music, it was a cello, playing a soft mournful song that was just barely audible over the sounds of the car and the city outside.

As she sat in the car, Ariana could not help but wonder if the music was Cheyenne's choice, or Conner's. She was apprehensive about meeting him, especially in his own haven. She sat motionless with no indication of what she was thinking or feeling. Ariana was tempted to comment on the music, however, she refrained. She had a feeling the woman was not someone who enjoyed small talk.

Cheyenne tilted her head for a moment as if listening to something and then turned off a side street. After several more minutes she pulled up to a parking ramp. Once at the Parking ramp she drove up to the top of it and then parked. She waited for several moments, saying nothing, not moving or making any motion to move. Then, smartly, she got out of the car and walked away. As she did the doors on the car locked. If Ariana attempts to open them she will find that the child safety locks have been enabled and the doors cannot be opened from the inside.

What is going on, Ariana thought. She tried the doors, locked. She wondered if she was stuck here to wait for Cheyenne to get Conner, or if she was really... stuck there. She had a couple of ideas on how to get out of the car. She decided to wait for a little longer. She thought to herself; Would he really leave her here without talking to her? What was he talking about pride or target for Lord Bainsworth? She tensed slightly as she thought about her sire.

Conner sat in the front seat of the car and watched the nervousness begin to form on the Ventrue's face. He felt satisfaction. He knew very well that if she wanted to she could break a window, or increase her strength and break open the door. But for now she sat, nervous, and he gloated.

But it only lasted for a moment, Conner was a man of meager funds and would not want her to damage his car. So he carefully, smoothly slid from the front seat to the back. Once in the back he looked over to her and dropped his Shroud of shadows that hid him from sight. "Hello Miss Donovan." Conner said using his casual and emotionless tone.

Ariana flinched slightly, and turned to look at him. "You never cease to amaze me Mister Greyson." She paused for a moment. "Let us continue with our discussion from Ember, if you please." Her tone was serious, no smile on her face. Her blue eyes darkened slightly as she looked at him. Her body language did not show it, but she did not want to continue this in the car.

Conner's outfit was the same as the one he had on at court except one small addition. A white domino mask, form fit to his face, sat on the bridge of his nose. "Why should I tell you what you already know, perhaps you should tell me why you would betray me." Conner said. There was no question on the end of his words, it was more of a statement, or a demand without the tone of demand. Conner did seem more comfortable though, he seemed to slouch just a touch. Not sloppy by any means but seemed to be just a bit more at ease.

"Betray you?" Ariana's look of bewilderment was clear. "Mister Grey, I do not know what you are talking about." Her voice hovered between frustration and anxiety. The fact that he was wearing some sort of mask was puzzling to her as it hid some of his facial features. "Can you please explain to me why you think I would betray you?" She did not plead, it was more of a slight demand. Her fingers played with the sash on her dress ever so slightly. Unfortunately she was unaware that she was making such an involuntary gesture.

"Your Sire betrayed me. Had me bloodhunted. Poisoning the Prince against me with his wormed tongue." Conner said revealing one of the sources of his anger to the woman. His words never arose above the conversational tone that was normal for him. Conner's eyes though, the woman could see in his eyes that he was deathly serious. She had seen that look before.

"What are you talking about?" Ariana was clearly agitated. "Could you give me more details about why you were blood hunted, or better yet, why you think I had anything to do with this?" Her fingers were twisting her sash in agitation. She was so confused about his accusations.

"I was blood hunted because your Master convinced the Prince that a Public Lashing was not enough for my Crime." Conner said emphasizing the word crime. Conner was quiet for a moment, a look on contemplation passed over his face. "You were the only kindred in the whole of New York, who knew where my Haven was." Anger lilted his voice for just a moment, for a nano-second, "You told Lord Bainsworth, which makes you responsible for the burning down of my Haven, and the killing of my Ghoul."

Ariana could not bare her frustration any longer. She turns and moves on the seat twisting and leaning to Conner to make her point. "I had nothing to do with it. Can you not see the confusion on my face or hear the perplexity in my voice?" Her tone was not of anger, nor of rage, but of pure disconcert. Within seconds of her quick movement, she realized that she had let go of her composure all together.

"Prove it to me. Let me read your mind." Conner said, "Or I rip the memories from your mind and find my proof." Conner gave her a serious look not bothering to hide his seriousness or the threat in his voice.

"Go right ahead Mr. Grey." She said with the same measure of seriousness. "Find all the proof you need." She looked into his eyes through the mask. Although, she did not know the depths of his power for this. There was only one thing she would not tell him, mainly because it was somewhat of an emotion. Hopefully that was concealed deep in her thoughts.

Conner held up a hand and removed one crisp white glove. His hands were nothing special, they looked normal No scars or burns nothing, just hands. "This will be much easier if you do not resist." Conner says and places his hand onto the side of her smooth face. "If you do, it will hurt." Conner said.

At first, it felt like a scratching at her scalp, then she felt a coldness in her mind. And then, then she felt him. He was in her. Listening, learning, she felt him push about her mind. "Miss Donavon, can you hear me." His voice could be heard, but not heard, it was something she had never felt before. His voice tickled at her mind.

Ariana's eyes closed automatically. She felt her hands shake. She was not sure what to make of what was going on. She heard Conner's voice which sounded strange. She was not sure how to answer him. Ariana only thought the word "Yes." She had no idea what the rest of her body was doing at that particular moment. She was afraid, and if she was feeling it, Ariana was sure Conner knew it too.

"You are afraid. Good, you should be." Conner thought. "Come to me." In her minds eye she saw a room, with gray walls and simple furniture. Ariana will recognize it. A room that was in Conner's haven in New York.

Conner walked around the room, barefoot, he wore a suit as always but his jacket was laying over a table. His shirt untucked and his face unmasked. "Remember this place?" Conner asked. "It is now ashes."

"Yes I remember your place. Ashes?" Ariana saw Conner walking around the room. In her mind she was recalling memories of him in the coat he always wore and his several layers of clothing from his suit down to his shirt which was tucked in. "Why did you bring me here?" She could only see what the memory of his place was. She saw the chair that she always sat in, closest to the door. The table and two chairs, the heavy curtains over the windows.

"Why did you bring me here? This is your mind" Conner said "This is how your mind sees me." Conner sat in the chair and waited. "Now, show me the truth." A twinge of pain could be felt through the mind of the woman as Conner dug into her. "Ah... there it is." Conner said, the world shifting around them. The world reforms into...

Ariana was at Central Park, a frequent meeting place of theirs. The night sky was clear and the full moon lit up the park beautifully. It was nights like these where she would find Conner leaning on a lamp post or a park bench waiting for her. He always looked as if he were plucked out of some gorgeous black and white film the way he posed, statuesque and handsome. Two nights before, Conner was to do the final job that her Sire and the Prince had assigned over a week ago. She truly hated all of it, mainly the fact that she was completely in the dark about every detail.

Ariana walked in circles for an hour in a large circumference around one of their meeting places. She finally sat on one of the benches wrapped in her thoughts. (A locked antique silver box sat next to her on the bench. To the present day Conner, as he was looking into her mind, it did not belong.) Conner made it a point of telling her not to trust him, or anyone for that matter. Yet, other than her editor Louie, oddly enough, Conner was the only other person she trusted. The last night Ariana saw Conner was only the prior week, after she had been at Lord Bainsworth’s. She shook that memory away.

Well over three hours had passed; thankfully she had brought a book so she did not look suspicious. Ariana began walking home, it was not like him to be late, but there were a few occasions where his work kept him. She had thought about stopping at his haven, but unless he specifically told her to meet her there, she did not like to show up unannounced. She had sent him a few text messages on her walk home, no response.

When Ariana arrived home she put on some Chopin so she was distracted. (The antique silver box was on the table.) She kept looking at her cell phone, and the time. Walking to her desk, she flipped open her laptop. (The box was now on the desk.) She fiercely typed out four articles that were not due to the paper until the following week. (The box had become brighter.) She could not concentrate anymore and paced by the window where Conner would appear. He was like clockwork, he always showed up. Something was clearly wrong. Ariana sat on the sofa where she called Conner and left a message which she had somehow managed to conceal her worry. (The box sat on her lap glowing.) The sun was coming up, and she had gone to bed, leaving her window unlatched. (The box was next to her head, the latch was locking and unlocking.) She knew deep down something happened, but she did not know what.

Present Conner walked around the dream apartment and saw a newspaper on the table. As he watched Past Ariana he looked to the date of the newspaper. It was the date of his bloodhunt. She had not been there, she had not known. But this was not proof, this was not enough. Just because she was not there for the actual deed does not mean that she did not reviel the location of his haven to her lord.

"Show me your last meeting with Bainsworth, the one before your last meeting with me." Conner said nay demanded. If the calendar was lining up he knew when he failed his mission and knew when he had last met with Ariana, at his haven, so if she told him, it would have to be then. Conner had noticed the remnant of Pandora but he left it be for now. If he needed to he would push that nerve, but hopefully it would not come to that.

"I do not wish to remember it. Can you not see that I was at home that night?" Ariana did not want to go back there again. Not even if it was a memory.

"Yes you were not there, that does not mean you are innocent." Conner's voice could be heard but pain could be felt in the back of her mind, "Now show me, or your requiem is forfeit." That calm voice, sharp as a blade was accompanied by another small stab of pain.

Ariana’s eyes were still closed and they winced at the pain. She involuntarily had grabbed onto Conner’s leg above the knee. Clearer evidence of the pain he was causing her.

Ariana sat in a chair across from the desk in Lord Bainsworth’s den, waiting for him to enter. She was entirely tense. Hopefully this would be the last time that she needed to involve the Mehket in anything, she never wanted anything to go this far. (The antique silver box was in her lap.) Lord Bainsworth entered and sat at his large mahogany desk. He flipped through paperwork. “Ariana, I have been impressed at your work retrieving all the prior information. The last assignment will settle the boons you owe to me and anyone else.” Ariana nodded as he pushed the final assignment’s paper work to her in a sealed envelope. She never opened them, the less she knew the better, she put it directly into her purse.

“If you tell me who is working for you, I will make sure that you are part of the Inner Circle of the Invictus after you are accepted.” She shook her head. “I would like that to remain confidential.” It was as if she was talking back to him. Lord Bainsworth’s voice became slightly agitated. “Ariana, he is obviously Kindred, no human would have been clever enough to gain this information. Because the information I had requested of you had been crucial, I did not punish you for your meetings and involvement with whoever it is. Now tell me Ariana, who is helping you?”

“Lord Bainsworth, it is confidential, my source does not wish to be known.” In a flash he was leaning over the chair so Ariana had no where to run. He slapped her face hard. “Ariana,” hearing her name from his mouth was like poison. “tell me who and where he is.” Ariana shook her head. (The box on her lap was glowing again.) “No, I will not.” She saw the flash of a blade out of the corner of her eye. “You are stupid to refuse me. I will slice up your pretty face again until you do.”

Suddenly Ariana’s mind became blank to Conner for a few moments. When he could see it again, Ariana’s head was lowered while she sat in the chair. (The box on her lap was glowing and pulsating.) “Now leave me. You have the next orders. Get them done!” Shouted Lord Bainsworth as Ariana quickly walked out of his den. Her face was nearly unrecognizable.

"Did you tell him" Conner asked. "What was the instructions he gave you?" Conner was growing impatient, feeling like he was being told half truths. Conner eyes kept being drawn to the box.

"The Box. What is it." Conner asked, his curiosity now peaked. Conner thought to plow into her subconscious and drive his way to what he wanted to know. But that would damage her and she was not useless... yet.

Ariana’s mind seemed to cave and the grip on Conner’s leg was harder than it was before. Recalling Lord Bainsworth’s demand for the name and whereabouts of her associate. Each time slicing her face with her answer of no. Lord Bainsworth asked his final question. “Ariana, I told you our kind is vicious and cruel, why do you protect him.” Ariana grabbed his hand and said “He may not be many things, but he never did what you have done to me.” Lord Bainsworth stepped back and dropped his blade. Ariana’s head had hung down as if her energy was spent blocking him. He barked his orders and she had left with the new assignment already in her purse.

Her mind finally opened the antique silver box that seemed to follow her. Inside the box contained her true emotions. The ones she kept buried for nearly seven years; memories of her family, the hatred she felt for what her Sire does to her, that she cannot do anything about, and her gratitude for Louie her editor. The ones for Conner were confusion, anxiety, and affection. What started out as business, turned into some sort of estranged friendship. She would protect him; she gave her word, even if she had to die for him.

Conner's Grip on her mind had been tight, like the grip on his leg. A vice digging into his thigh as he dug into her psyche. And then... he was gone. His presence in her mind was gone. That cold grip that netted her brain was no longer there.

As her eyes fluttered open to look at him he looked back at her. His eyes had something in them they had never had before, at least to her knowledge, concern and confusion. The normally calm but deadly gaze looked upon the Ventrue with a semblance of odd questioning. "Why did you protect me?" Conner asked.

Ariana felt a little dazed and slouched a little while trying not to slump over onto Conner. She looked into his eyes and spoke sincerely, "You asked me to give you my word." Her eyes were a soft blue now, failing to conceal her emotions.

"Ever the Noble Lord." Conner said and moved his hand to the door handle. "I have what I need. Cheyenne will take you where you want to go." Conner said and looked to the lord one last time, waiting to see if she had anything else to say.

Ariana quickly reached over and grabbed his hand to stop him. "Not so fast Mr. Grey." As she did this, it put her face was within inches of Conner's. "Tell me why you did not just kill me immediately after getting me up here." Her tone was calm and smooth. Her eyes looked directly in to his.

"I needed my proof, killing you would not give me that proof."
    Conner spoke softly, making no move to pull away from the Ventrue. Conner wondered why she cared. Yes she was a lord but still her word means that much that she would go through torture to keep it. Conner doubted it. There must be more, there must be something that she is hiding. Should he go back into her mind. No that would not be a prudent move at this time.

“Conner,” the first time she used his first name and it was not a slip. “Please, tell me the real reason you did not kill me, the truth. We both know it is not entirely about proof.” She voice was still serious but soft. “Perhaps I will satisfy the curiosity that you try to keep hidden behind your eyes.” She wanted desperately to tell him the real reason, but doubted he cared. Still, she needed to know his real reason why he kept her alive.

Conner is a black hole of emotion. Devoid of feeling and sentiment. "I did not kill you because you are innocent. And I had hope that my instincts were wrong. That you kept your word." Conner said his tone staying still that passionless monotone. Not betraying his own emotions.

Ariana did not believe that was the real reason. If only she could peer into his mind like he did hers. She wanted to kiss him as a thank you, but his last statement was void of emotion. Her gesture may spark some angered emotion. She was sure he still did not really care. She moved back into the seat next to him.

Her emotional guard was down as she looked away from him and spoke. "Conner, albeit a short time, you have been the only friend I had in many years. You told me not to trust you, but I did. I protected you, because I care about you. Regardless what you think of me." She closed her eyes while she felt her emotions seep out with her words.

The doors on the car unlock and Cheyenne gets into the car. "The sun will rise soon. Your Hotel room is not safe, you will stay with me." Conner says again no emotion slipping through. Cheyenne puts the car in drive and begins to drive to Conner's haven.

C
    Conner Greyson

Ariana was confused at his statement. In part because he wanted her to stay at his haven, the other because he mentioned she was not safe in her hotel. Considering she lived on the outskirts of the city, she had booked a hotel not far from Ember. Why am I not safe?” it was too close to sunrise to actually argue with him.“Please do not sit in silent reverence.” Ariana sat next to him still apprehensive of the dangerous Mehket. Her feelings were torn, part of her felt that she would be safe, the other part was confusion and fright. He was not apt to do such a thing as to take her to his haven, it was a small sign, if any.

Conner turned his head to her and said, "Reverence to What?" Conner asked as he looked at her wondering if she was going to take her hand off his Arm any time soon or if she was going to continue to touch him. It was odd feeling the touch of the woman. He had not been touched by anyone in some time. Well Except when he fed or when Cheyenne was playing Nursemaid but neither of that counted.

"To what all just happened." Ariana was very aware of her hand still on his leg, yet she did not move it. By this time her hand had relaxed and was resting there gently. "Will you tell me why my hotel room is not safe?" She was not sure if she was still dazed a little to wrap her head around the concept of it, or if she just could not think of a reason she would be in danger already.

"Because it is a Public hotel with no protection beyond some heavy curtains and three rent a cops, each on rotation." Conner said quietly. Cheyenne handed her Lord a binder and he began to page through it reading as he does. "And the Concierge has a cocaine problem." Conner said handing her a picture. It seems he owes someone another comic book.

Ariana took the picture with the opposite hand that was on his leg. "It appears as if I cannot trust my new editor." She had no clout in Sacramento, she felt nearly as if she was thrown to the wolves. "I have stayed in many hotels before, Louie would always make the arrangements. I never had any problems." She had let her guard down in this city, as she was unfamiliar with everything.

Conner remained silent after that. Conner continued to read through the papers until he handed the binder back to the Ghoul. The ghoul then took out her phone and sent a text. "Cheyenne will arrange for someone for you to drink from if you wish. If not they will be there for you when you rise." Conner would take care of the woman until he had figured out what was going on with her. Why she felt anything for him, especially enough to allow herself to be tortured.

Conner thought for another moment before he realized something, Ariana did not knowingly betray him but that does not mean she didn't. There was a blank spot in her memory. A spot that Bainsworth had more then likely blanked from her memory. So, she was responsible, but could not be held accountable. Justice will be had, but not from Ariana. As of now, it was not her fault, but that could change in time.

"Thank you, I am rather famished." She paused for a few moments. "How much further is it?" Ariana had no idea where they were going. She did, however, tick away landmarks they passed en route. She was also reflecting on Conner's lack of trust. Perhaps it was only what he had become accustomed to. She too could relate. She did not know how to prove it to him, perhaps time would be telling eventually.

Cheyenne pulled up to the hotel of which Ariana was staying. Cheyenne got out of the car and walked around the side of the car to open the door for Ariana, "Go and get your things, you will not be returning. If you need me to pay the bill I can." Conner said not taking his eyes off of the documents he was reading through. "Cheyenne will accompany you."

"Thank you, that will not be necessary, I already paid for it." Ariana said with quiet reserve. She got out of the car and walked into the hotel with Cheyenne. The hotel was just run of the mill, nothing very fancy as Mr. Brandt, her editor, did not seem to care.

They made it to her room, she grabbed her bag as Cheyenne waited outside her door. From her purse she crabbed the key card, and her hand had gently grazed the dagger that Conner gave her nearly a year ago. Ariana could not help but feel a little odd that someone was following her like that, as she was not accustom to it. Ariana was a bit nervous. In seven years she had never done something like this. She kept this very hidden in her composure. With Cheyenne following, Ariana slipped her key on the front desk.

They returned to the car and Cheyenne had opened the door for her. "Thank you, Cheyenne." Ariana said quietly. When she first sat down she realized she should have changed out of her dress. Yet, she did only had one set of clothes with her with a few other things. Oh well, it will not be long, she thought.

The Ghoul, as always, says nothing. Just closes the door to the car and walks around to the drivers side. "Do you have everything?" Conner asked. With her affirmation Conner looks to the woman. "This will be the second time I have taken you to my haven. The Irony has not escaped me."

"Yes, I have everything." Ariana wondered what he meant by irony. "To what irony are you referring?" She says slightly confused. "The other time in New York was business." Ariana carefully hid her nervousness so he would not suspect. She felt she was safe with him, but still, she needed to remain guarded.

"And what is this? Personal?" Conner asked. "Irony being that I am trusting you with the knowledge of my haven, again. Knowledge of a place that is sacred." Conner said... all according to plan he thought to himself.

"You said I was not safe." Ariana cringed inside. Apparently reading her thoughts was still not enough. Her head was turned away from him looking out the window.

"A hotel room where any maid or bellhop can enter your room at any time is not safe." Conner said, "Especially when they could come in and easily open a window to let light in." Conner said with a nonchalance that shows he has many things on his mind. Conner removed the domino from his face and looked at it for several moments. He muttered softly to himself for a moment or two before handing the mask forward to Cheyenne.

Ariana quickly gave him a puzzled look as in wondering what he had said. Still looking at him she spoke to his last comment. "Yes, you are right, of course." Still looking for him to possibly repeat what he muttered, but doubted he would.

Cheyenne pulled up through Citrus Heights and to what she could only assume was his Haven. They went down a cul-de-sac and turned down a nearly hidden gravel drive and pulled up to a dull house, that looked like every other dull house. "We are here." Conner said and got out of the car.

Cheyenne stepped out of the car and walked around to remove the bags from the Trunk. Cheyenne stepped ahead and walked into the house. Conner waited to see what Ariana would do.

Leaving the car, Ariana looked at the surroundings. All of houses were not much different from the other. She felt a little odd not carrying her bag in herself. She walked over to the side of Conner but slightly behind him, waiting to follow him inside. Ariana was still a little apprehensive but gave no indication of the sort.

Conner walked in the open door and waited for the Ventrue to follow. Once they were inside the door closed and a audible click of the deadbolt can be heard.

S
    Steven

Continued from here: Delving Deep

Cheyenne was the first in the door and immediately cleared out the herd. Next she took Ariana's bags and brought them to one of the bedrooms, with a bow to both of them she exits to the kitchen.

As they entered the house it looked very much as a normal house would. The house was tastefully designed and decorated. Very open and spacious, but plain. Very much what one would call a suburban household. There was a seating area which doubled as a living room. A Large plasma screen TV with a coat of dust along the screen.

The furniture was, again, tasteful and well placed but again plain. The only thing that was out of place, that didn't belong was the masks on the wall. Even more odd then that was a single mask, in a glass case on a shelf. This mask was a interesting piece, full faced gray and black. It was a warn down piece and looked as if it had seen its share of well... god knows what.

Conner looks to the ghoul as the kitchen door closes and then back to the Ventrue. "Make yourself at home, until we can find you a proper Haven." Conner removed his suit jacket and headed toward the basement door. "Stay out of the basement, the rest of the house is yours."

Ariana looked around the house as she walked through it. There were so many masks on the wall, she wondered if he wore all of them at some time or another. What was so special about the one in the glass case, she thought. When he spoke, her investigating side felt a slight jolt about the request. However, she would listen.

Ariana swallowed her curiosity and pleasantly said, "I will respect your wishes." She paused for a moment. "Are you going to the basement right now?"

Conner stops, does a pivot and looks to Ariana, "Did you need something. Cheyenne will tend to your needs." Conner stated bluntly with no question in his voice.

Ariana looked straight at him, she was calm and so was her voice with a hint of something else. "Conner, why are you always running from me?"

"Miss Donavon I have no idea what you are talking about." Conner said looking the woman straight in the eyes with no emotion and no pause.

There was slight frustration in her voice in her next few words. "Every single time we had meetings in New York, you always walked away in a flash." She paused, still trying to curb her frustration. "Now I am here, not on business. Why does it matter to you where I stay? It is not that I do not appreciate it, I want you to tell me, please." While Ariana did not normally fidget, her hands were slightly wringing themselves while they were drawn at her waist.

Conner looked at the woman and betrayed a small hint of emotion. Just a taste of question. Just a touch of vibration that may possibly be an emotion. Then he turns to head down the steps, stops and comes back to her. Within an inch of her. If he were a normal man, she would be able to feel his breath, hear his heart beat, time his blinks. But there was none of that. Not a bit. No heart beat, no breath and most disconcerting of all, no blink. "I do as a I please. I have my reasons to help you. Maybe it is because I care. Maybe it is because I enjoy the game. Or maybe I do not even know."

In one instant Ariana tried to fight impulsiveness, she caught his glimpse of emotion even though it was so slight. The more she fought the spontaneity the more it overtook her. Still looking in his eyes, her eyes closed slightly and she leaned upwards and gently pressed her lips to Conner's.

Conner felt something, a feeling that was not unfamiliar, a woman's lips pressed against his. Conner was not taken aback by this. Conner had been kissed by a woman before. Conner had done, well, just about everything a man and a woman could do together. He was after all a frequent guest as the Asylum. But he had done much more then just the play at a club like that allows, so again, this feeling was not an unfamiliar one. The question was, why? No money had been exchanged, no words had been said. Nothing. What could be her goal in this. How was she going to use him.

Ariana's lips had lingered longer than she anticipated. She was shocked that Conner did not push her away. She pulled away first, even though she did not want to. Her voice had softened, free of frustration and more so, less fearful of him. "I know you are a man of few words. I wish I knew what I could do to have your full trust." Her pause was brief when she continued. "I am not a mind reader. If I am to know anything, you must talk to me..." Her voice trailed off and her eyes looked away.

"Why?" Conner's face did betray questioning now. Having no idea of why this was happening. What was her reasoning behind this.

Ariana was beginner to realize that quite possibly, he had no emotions. She had stepped back slightly, since there was apparently no reason to be close to him any longer. "Why, do I wish I knew what to do to have your full trust? Or why do I wish that you would talk to me?" Her frustration returned in her voice. She doubt he would show her what was going on in his head, much less tell her.

Conner moved over to sit on the couch and could not help but wonder what this was. What this was about. With a quick flick of his wrist a knife appeared into his hand, a balisong, more commonly referred to as a butterfly knife. The blade flashed open and closed, the masked man made the metal butterfly dance. "I am confused." Conner said honestly. "I do not understand your reasoning Miss Donavon." Conner said not even looking at the dancing dagger in his hand. It just flipped open and closed and open, spun and closed.

Following Conner to the couch, Ariana did not sit. She was apprehensive of the fact he was flipping around a knife. "Why can you not be straight forward with me? You dance around questions and never answer them. I do not like maybes, and if this is a game to you, I apparently do not know the rules." She was trying to remain calm. All she wanted was the truth, or maybe she had to offer one of hers first. She too had a hard time expressing herself this way, but sometimes, it was necessary. She turned away from his gaze. Her arms crossed in front of her. "I will be honest first." There was a long and decisive pause. "I was worried something had happened to you when you went missing. I care for you, and I am still unsure why, but I do. I know it does not make sense, but now you know..." her voice trailed off again. She quickly envisioned that her future in his house would be of silence and cold shoulders with little interaction.

Conner leans back on the couch, spins the blade closed and sets it aside. "What do you want to know Miss Donavon." Conner asked. "And I will do my best to answer." Conner seemed to be capitulating to the woman and her questioning.

Ariana did not turn to look at him yet. She was trying her best to curb her frustration since she had asked him questions earlier yet apparently still refused to answer. "Am I here so you can keep better tabs on me?" Pausing for a moment. "Or do you honestly care about my safety?"

"Both" *beat* "I think"

Ariana's Ventrue blood was beginning to heat up with the lack of control from the situation. "You think?" She turned seeing he was not playing with the knife anymore, she moved to sit on the couch. She shook her head and turned to look at him. "And you said you were confused." Looking straight in his eyes, her voice was in a defeated tone. "What do you want with me?"

"My Mask." Conner says looking to the case.

"What about it?" Ariana was clearly confused.

"Bring it to me." Conner says looking to the case and removing a key from his pocket. As the woman stands Conner wraps his hand around her wrist. Not harm just enough to get her to come back. As she does Conner slides a small key into her hand.

Ariana forces a sigh as she opens the case. Unlocking it, she removes the mask respectfully from its case. She hands it to him and sits back down. She looks at him to explain why she went to get it.

Conner took the mask from her and stared into it with reverence. Conner slides the mask onto his face and his entire posture changes. His breathing begins, he slumps a bit, he rolls his neck and audible cracks and pops can be heard. "So you wanna know if he care about you." Conner(?) said. "You want to know if he cares? If he loves you?"

Ariana was confused and a slightly creeped out. She contemplated split personality disorder or something worse, or if this was a joke. Although, she never knew Conner to joke. She cautiously answered. "Yes, please."

"He cares. But he doesn't know it. He wants you to be happy. Although he doesn't know why. He wants to keep you safe, although he doesn't know how." Conner(?) says as he runs his hand over his masked head. "You know its good to be home. So what else you ya want to know." Even his mannerisms have changed.

Apparently this was the only way Ariana was going to get her answers. So she decided to play along. In a calm voice she said, "What do you want with me?" She then added, "You did not answer the other question you proposed." She did wonder how much of this would hold up after the mask was off.

"He doesn't know, and to be honest, neither do I." those words came out like smoke from the end of a cigarette, slow and perpetual. "But there is something about ya. And does he love ya? Well he has to be capable of love first. Ask him why he goes to the Asylum. Why he lets his women beat him and cut him and hell, when he was human, burn him. Not so much anymore anyway. but don't ask me that, that's something for him to tell you. And he will, if ya ask the question the right way."

At this point, Ariana did not see the difference between the masked man, or Conner. Her irritation was covered with a smile. "So why do both you and Conner constantly circle around questions and never give a definite answer?" She suddenly rose from the couch and turned away, "How can I trust either of you?" She had moved so she could continue picturing Conner's real face and not the mask.

"I gave you the answers I have."
    The Masked Man says. "How can you trust us? Well, your not ash. He gave you a chance to explain, and he believes you. If you wanna trust him that's up to you lady. I'm just the messenger. Because he doesn't speak good. Do you want my honest opinion. He loves ya, he just doesn't know what love means. Fuck the guy barely knows how to smile."

S
    Steven

Ariana was still not sure what to think of the word love, especially coming from Grey. She turned and moved back to the couch. Her posture was of someone slightly defeated again. She looked to Grey/Conner, which was still confusing to her and sort of bothersome. "So, what am I supposed to do when the mask comes of, knowing what I know now?" Still looking at the masked figure. "Are you telling me I am supposed to make the first move or something to that effect?" After that question came out of her mouth, she realized that is what actually bothered her the most. For seven years, she was kept away from situations like this.

"I am pretty sure you just did that hun. You kissed him remember." Not quite Conner said. "I am surprised he didn't shank you. So, how bout this, you and play a game. 10 questions each. One at a time, first one of us to flinch loses. Deal?"

"How often did you follow me without me knowing when we were in New York?"

"I will take that as a yes." The man said, "You can call me Grey by the way."

"So How often did Conner follow you. Bout 3 or 4 times a week. Sometimes Less sometimes more." Pause "Okay My Turn, Why Does he get your wheels turning?"

"By wheels turning, do you mean frustrated, or something else?" Thinking to herself, why on earth did he follow me so much?

"No I mean why do you care for him. You obviously have feelings for the man. I wanna know why. He has the emotions of a potted plant for christ sake." Grey explained

"Because..." She paused trying to form her racing thoughts into words. "At first, I admired him for being as driven in his work as I was. Then, one day, when I had asked him why he was helping me, he said he was doing the job for me and it seemed he cared in his own way." She closed her eyes for a moment. "In some strange way, I began to care for him." She was really lost for an explanation, there were so many pieces of an unfinished puzzle floating in her head.

"Okay, Question 2, why did you take the beating for him? Why be punching bag to protect a man who can't love you back?" Grey asked. As Grey asked the question Cheyenne walked into the room, saw the mask on Conner and turned around and left. The back door could be heard opening and closing.

Her eyes narrowed slightly. "I never said the word love, Grey, you told me Conner loved me." She was a little dismayed at why she had to answer the question, she thought it would have been clear after reading her mind. Although she was not certain if Grey was aware of Conner's actions. Wow, this is a mess, she thought. "I kept my personal word that I would. He would not take the promise of my Sire nor anyone else's. Since he was also the only Kindred at the time I was allowed to associate with at the time, I would not betray his trust."

"Your turn hon. And it doesn't matter if the man loves ya or not, cause he can't feel it." Grey said waving his hand as he speaks like a man holding a cigarette.

"Then this is all really, a moot point, is it not?" The irritation in her voice was quite apparent. "If none of it matters, then why are you telling me all of this?"

"You know what, your right, fuck this game. You know wanna know why the man is a emotional Turnip. Cause I can tell ya. I can answer those questions. Cause I remember 'em, remember what happened when he was a kid. He ain't that old ya know." Grey body seems to shiver for a moment.

"Yes, please tell me Grey."
    Finally, she had broke through to something, sadly, it was still through Grey. She would take what she could get.

"You know how old he was the first time he killed a man. Nine. Conner Greyson slit a man's throat when he was nine years old." The mask said.

Ariana sat back and listened intently. She had a calm look on her face, despite the first piece of information she was given.

"Do ya wanna know why? Better yet do ya wanna know why Conner was in New York?" From the tone of his voice, Grey seemed to be enjoying himself.

She nodded. "Yes, please."

"Which?" he leaned forward with a smug tone in his voice, shortly before another shiver goes through his body. "But you better be sure because he is getting restless."

"I would like to know why he was in New York." She said without hesitation.

"He went there to kill a man. The man who sold him to his first kill." Another shiver and a roll of the neck. "Got time for about one more. Maybe two. But he is getting pissed."

Ariana thought she would get the one pressing question in her mind out of the way before she had lost Grey, the speaking part of Conner. "I want to know, if I am safe with Conner. I want to know that he would not hurt me."

"Best I can tell ya kid is I don't think he would. He doesn't kill needlessly. So don't give him a reason basically." Another roll of the neck and another shiver. Conner removed the mask from his head and looked to Ariana, "Did you find the answers you Seek?" Conner asked his tone that cold monotone that was there before.

Ariana originally had no hope for Conner, and his emotions. She was right. She was confused why he loved her at all. She could not reciprocate, not like this. Ariana cared deeply for Conner, but that was as far as it went. Her voice had no emotion in it as she responded. "Yes, I guess so." At least her instinct to run away in fear of him were now diminished.

"Good" Conner said and stood, "In case you were wondering no, I have no memory of what was said. yes I know he is there."

Ariana's voice was still emotionless, mainly guarding against the ache that she had lost something. "Yes, Mr. Greyson, I did wonder." Realizing she did not know where she was staying she spoke again, "Since Cheyenne left, would you please show me to my room?"

Conner stood and walked her toward the master bedroom. "Did he give you a message for me?" Conner asked taking her bags and carrying them for her.

Ariana followed Conner. She debated on how to phrase her reply, "No. Nothing you would want to hear." She probably should have said a simple no, but the last part slipped out.

Conner opened the bedroom door and Ariana would see that the room has been customized especially for a vampire. Black out drapes on the windows. A large canopy bed, also wrapped in heavy dark cloth that no light would penetrate. The door had locks on the inside and the windows were secured so they could not be opened. It is truly a haven for a kindred. "Good Day Miss Donavon." Conner said and ,before leaving, leaned in, gave her a soft kiss and turned to exit the room.

Ariana quickly replied, "Good day, Mr. Greyson." Closing the door and locking it, she was suddenly confused again. If he was as emotionless as Grey had said, why did he kiss her? The room was...perfect. As she removed her dress and climbed into bed, she could not shake her thoughts. Was that gesture to be polite, or, was her hope restored. Only time would tell.

End Scene

Closed Thread

Members who have read this thread : 0

You do not have permission to view the list of names.