Conner sat at his work bench prepping some silver to be heated and molded when he heard a car pull into the drive. Conner walked up the basement steps and into the kitchen. He washed his hands and waited for the knock at the door. Conner had his herd clean the house spotless prepping for this meeting. He wanted something more casual to be honest, Yes they were both members of the First Estate. Both Soldiers, and soon to be Courtiers. But still they were men. Men who had seen blood and spilled more. Men who had breathed in the last breath of the dead and dieing.

Conner walked about his house observing as his heard, dressed appropriately made themselves comfortable but available. Cheyenne again proved her usefulness in the organization and prep work of the evening. She had referred to these women as "the Despereate Herdwives" but Conner did not understand the reference. Conner wore a simple pair of Slacks and untucked white oxford shirt with the sleeves rolled partially up.

Conner was armed, as he always is, but this was more out of habit then anything else. The only thing out of place on the Mekhet was that he was unmasked. There were still masks adorning the walls but there was not one adorning his face. Perhaps the words of Herald Naetesh had struck home for the former assassin.

Thomas was not surprised when Conner had called to set up a meeting. His fellow Soldier of the First Estate had made it clear that night at the Prince's Court that he wished to hold the position of Priscus of Shadows and with the clan meeting close at hand it was clear that Mister Greyson was going to do what he felt he needed to do to secure the position. Thomas walked to the door wearing rockport dress shoes, black dress pants, a black dress shirt and new black leather jacket, his previous one having been rendered beyond repair after the back to back fights at the Bypass and the Sewers. With his recently regenerated right hand he knocks on the door of the Hound of Citrus Heights.

Cheyenne moves to open the door but stops and steps away as Conner steps in front and makes his way to the portal. Conner opens the door, after threat assessment says, "Good evening Mister O'Connor please come in." Conner says not using any title of note or function while the door remains ajar. Paranoid, maybe, but at least he kept things in there proper place.

Thomas hesitates for a second and Conner is able to notice a small box in the kindred's left hand. "Good evening Mr. Greyson. Before I enter I need to offer you this, because of the nature of this gift I do not wish to enter your home with it in my possession." He moves the box to his right hand and offers it to his fellow Soldier. "You seem to have a certain affection for this type of object."

Conner does not open the gift yet, he merely gives a small head bow and gestures for the man to enter. Once they are both inside and the door is safely closed behind him Conner says "Thank you for the gift." Conner says, "Whip O'Connor, thank you for coming. Would you care for some refreshment." Conner gestures to the women of his herd.

Thomas steps inside the house and notices the use of his Clan title, realizing that his theory on the nature of the meeting was correct. "Thank you for the offer Mr. Greyson but I have just come from my own nightly hunt." His first impression of the situation was that Greyson was trying to impress him, having not only his ghoul in the house but what seemed like a large portion of the Kindred's stable.

"Obviously you know why I have invited you over." Conner says as he opens the box and smiles at the gift. He takes out the dagger and spins the blade in his hand getting a feeling for the weight of the blade. "A fine stiletto, thank you for the gift sir."

"You're welcome." Thomas simply smiles at the thought of more clan politics. "The vacant position of Priscus. You are going to put yourself forward for the head of the clan and wish for my support in this endeavor."

"Correct. And I dare say I already know what your position will be." Conner says offering a seat to the Other Soldier. Conner had waved off the herd and Cheyenne moments after the Whip had declined the offer.

Thomas offered a half smile. "And what will my position be Mr. Greyson?"

"Now this is just a guess, but as you remained neutral during the altercation at Court. I can only assume you will remain neutral at the meeting." Conner said with mix of both question and confidence in his tone and face.

"I remained neutral at Court Mr. Greyson because as Clan Whip I had to look out for the best interests of all Shadows in the Domain. It had become clear at that moment that the feud between yourself and Mr. Von Schusten would only be resolved by combat and for the good of the Clan that feud needed to reach it's final conclusion." The image of the Seneschal's words and then the German Kindred walking away from Court pop into his head. "That was averted by the former Priscus' decision to leave the Domain. Problem solved, although I do believe that you are disappointed that it was not solved completely to your satisfaction."

"You would be correct sir." Conner said leaning back in his chair. "I do not like things being half done. Especially things of such importance as the head of our family." Conner said honestly. "So if I may," Conner said, "Where do you stand on the situation."

Thomas thought for a second and considered the Kindred in front of him, his clanmate and fellow Soldier of the First Estate. "To be perfectly honest I wish you would have killed him but for slightly different reasons. While I might still be considered new in this Domain I still have noticed that many of the Brood involved in their campaign were formally Kindred in good standing." He let that statement hang in the air for half a second. "Whatever Von Schusten's failings, the man was good with his swords, and I hope that the humiliation he suffered has caused him to grow a backbone out of anger and frustration that will turn those blades against the Domain." He smiles slightly at Greyson. "If that does happen I know that his attempts will fail but they will still cause problems for the City."

Conner took a minute to listen to the words and deal with the surprise of the bluntness of the Whip's words. "Yes, allowing such a dangerous Kindred to run free is something that does not interest me." Conner said, "Especially if he has such a grudge against the city as he now has."

To Greyson's second question Thomas gave the matter a few moments of thought. "Mister Greyson would you like to know what I would consider Von Schusten's most grievous failure in the role of Priscus?" It was a deflection but Thomas did plan to answer this question, he just wished to set the stage for his reply to be understood by the other man.

Conner says nothing and just nods to the man. Conner was interested in the Fellow Soldiers opinion on the former Priscus, if only so Conner may learn from his predecessors mistakes.

"It was the title." He pauses for a second. "You and I each hold a title conferred upon us by the First Estate. A Title of Function, which we understand clarifies our role within the Covenant and the expectations placed on us. Mr. Greyson I would contend that almost every title is itself a title of function and that each position carries certain responsibilities along with the prestige of holding that office or title." He leans forward slightly. "The position of Priscus is one of service to one's family, it means taking an interest in and working for the betterment of all Kindred who bare the mark of your clan. Regardless of political affiliation, personal disagreements or even the respect they offer you."

"Mr. O'Connor, are you reading my mind?" Conner asks with a mix of both mirth and honest question.

He takes another moment to properly phrase his next thoughts. "Von Schusten forgot that aspect. In my opinion it was almost like the title of Priscus to him was something to be put on an office door or a business card. I believe that I was the only one of the wave of newer arrivals of our clan he took the time to meet with and our first two meetings resulted because I contacted him on both occasions." He shakes his head slightly remembering those nights. "He did point me in a direction that led me to make a positive impact for the security of the Domain and I suppose that I did respect the man. Did you know that he offered me the position of Whip on the same night I informed him what took place out at the Bypass? I reported to him what happened and asked if there would be a meeting so that those who had taken an interest in solving the Brood problem could compare information so we all would have the complete picture."

"No I was not aware of that." Conner said honestly.

The Mekhet Whip shakes his head again. "He did not make any comment on that suggestion but he did shoot down my next one, that a clan meeting was needed. He wished to put it off until the position of Reeve was settled. He even made a special point to whisper in my ear that you were not to be trusted and then a few minutes later offered me the position of Whip." Thomas smiles again, a genuine Irish grin. "So naturally the next time I saw you I made an effort to speak with you in order to make my own decision." He had run into Greyson and his ghoul at the Club Reverence and come away impressed with the man's dedication to his role as Hound of Citrus Heights. "Then I realized after that night at Court and the whole job of getting you out of that well, that Von Schusten was beginning to not only ignore the calling of his position but had let his personal feud with you color his actions as Priscus."

"My end of the Rivalry was a test, or at least it had started that way." Conner said again with the honest tone. He had no reason to lie, didn't he? "So you have spoken with me several times, what is your feelings now? Am I to be trusted?" Conner asked remembering the words he had told Ariana so long ago.

"Mr. Greyson on a personal level I would not be here or spoken so bluntly if I did not trust you. However I do have a question. You have mentioned this notion of a "test" both tonight at during that whole scene at Court, what was it about your initial meeting with Von Schusten that left you with such a negative opinion of him?"

"I will show you." Conner stood and walked over to glass case. In the case was a mask. A mask that Conner obviously cared about as the case was locked. Conner removed the lock and then removed the mask from the case. Before the Mekhet speaks again he holds up the Mask and looks to it with some small sort of reverence. "The Mekhet are a private people. What we do is always for a reason. At least traditionally. Would you not agree?" Conner says before turning his head to look back to his guest.

Thomas smiles knowingly. "Indeed." While he did not understand the Mask and what it represented specifically for Conner Greyson, Thomas did understand the nature of his clan. After all he had his own secrets.

"I am from Sacramento, did you know this?" Conner asked.

Thomas is slightly surprised by this revelation. He knew that the man had spent time in New York, Greyson's relationship with Madam Ariana Donovan proved that, but had never given any real consideration to where Greyson had come from. Conner had always seemed ... disconnected from the mortal world and Thomas had begun to believe that Conner Greyson was born at the moment of his Embrace. "I did not know that."

"I returned here in Mid May of 2010. After contacting an old ally I met with the priscus. Wearing this." Conner said obviously referring to the mask. "This mask has great meaning to me and sentimental value. His first act in our meeting was to tell me to remove it. Not ask me if it was necessary or be polite to invade my privacy." Conner said, "It was then that I began to gauge the man."

Thomas thinks for a second about the nature of his own first meeting with Von Schusten, a meeting between two Shadows at a Cigar bar. He'd gotten the feeling that the former Priscus was disappointed in him for some reason and had only sent him on the trail of the Brood in order to be rid of the newest arrival. The Mekhet Whip wonders if his own change in opinion on the man has colored his memory of their previous interactions or if he was just now seeing the full picture. "A lack of empathy for one's family."

"A lack of respect for one's privacy."
Conner said, "Especially ones family."

"Odd trait for a man who spent so many of his nights with his thoughts as his only company."

"Yes, for a man so fiercely quiet that he is rarely ever seen beyond the walls of court, it is an odd trait." Conner placed the Mask back in its case and locked it. He muttered something quietly as he did so. "So, what other questions do you have for a man who looks for a seat at the head of our family's table."

Thomas leans back in his chair and regards his fellow Shadow. "A simple one: Why?"

"Because I feel that I am best suited for the position." Conner explained. "I am of the mind that a Priscus should both education and discipline when necessary. Both of those things I feel that I have been groomed for. Through my own upbringing and the training that I have received." Conner said.

Thomas considered the man's words and it is several seconds before he speaks again. "I would be interested to hear what you mean by the terms "education" and "discipline", there is a good deal of room for interpretation in each of them. Especially considering the current composition of our clan." He was sure that Greyson knew the accomplishments of each of the current members of the Clan, the Reeve, the Keeper, Himself, Regent Brady and one of the most respected Kindred in the History of the Domain of Sacramento, Herald Ishani Naetesh.

"Well that depends on who needs it. With the current members of our family, which you allude to, both of those things will more then likely not be necessary." Conner says thinking of the amazing woman who, in such a short span of time, had influenced him so much. "But leadership, education and discipline are three things that are never found unnecessary for long." Conner says honestly with a small chuckle.

For a second Thomas is reminded of something and makes a mental note for the next time he and his fellow Soldier are to exchange gifts. It would be an interesting gift if Greyson ever found the time to read. "I am curious at how you would have treated yourself, had you been in Von Schusten's position and the roles been reverse during your feud."

"I would have given myself the simplest of things, Respect." Conner said. "I would respect the other man and hopefully with that respect would have come an avoidance of a feud all together."

Thomas nodded at the answer. Respect. It was a simple word but it was something every Kindred desired in a world that be almost feudal at times. It was a concept embraced by the First Estate where even the most junior full members were accorded the titles of Mister or Madam, so even as they bowed to the leaders of the Covenant they were still allowed a measure of that same respect. "Mr. Greyson you asked me before if I would remain neutral regarding the position. I will inform you that I am not planning to seek to the position myself. If the Clan asks me to serve it in that role, I cannot refuse that call but I will not put myself forward as a candidate." He wondered what Greyson would make of the bold statement.

Conner stood and extended his hand to his fellow soldier, "I find your answer most agreeable and understandable." Conner said with a nod.

Thomas stood and extended his hand to meet Conner's. "I cannot promise my support, if I am acting as Whip I may even have to refrain from any voting of the position."

"I understand Mr. O'Connor. Is there anything I can do for you sir?"
Conner asks feeling the meeting coming to an end.

"No Mr. Greyson, you have been an excellent host." Thomas begins to adjust his jacket. "I would like to do a sweep of Citrus Heights or your new Domain with you soon. We should get a bit of experience working together."

"I agree sir." Conner says walking his guest to the door. "We will talk and work together soon. Thank you Whip O'Connor" Conner say opening the front door.

"It was good speaking with you on these matters Mister Greyson." Thomas nods to the man as he leaves the house. "Thank you for your invitation."

"Thank you sir, Do have a good evening." Conner says and watches the Fellow Soldier and clan whip enter his car. Once he has done so Conner reenters his haven and gives his Ghoul a knowing look. "I agree..."