Asa walked through the halls of the chapterhouse, touching a doorway here, a wall there, as he headed towards the library looking for Joseph Hartman.

Joseph closes the book he'd been reading as he hears footsteps in the hallway. He rises from his seat near the back of the library and walks to the doorway. A thumb rubbing the embellished title of the book in his hand.

"O, good evening sir. I didn't hear you enter."

"Please forgive me if I'm disturbing you,"
Asa said, giving the Sworn a nod of respect. "When your studies permit, I would like to request a word with you."

"It's not a problem sir, I was just starting a new project of sorts."
Joseph raises his hand and moves his thumb revealing The Republic by Plato subtitled with English and Greek side by side for easy comparison. "It occurred to me that knowing Greek might help my studies. Please come in."

Asa arched an eyebrow, surprised at the choice of reading material. For his part, he found the Platonic Method a bit irrelevant, and assumed it was simply to finish something Joseph had began with Socrates.

He entered, and took a seat. Not that he expected the conversation to take long, but some found his large size a bit intimidating when standing over them.

"I have two things to discuss, but I'll begin with the more awkward. I have decided to leave the Ordo Dracul. It's become apparent that there is no resolution for the questions of the Blood that brought me here. I understand this puts you in an awkward position, but I can only give you my personal assurances that I have no intention of sharing Order secrets with anyone not versed in them. If you have the talent of Auspex, you may verify my sincerity."

Joseph follows the Prince and takes a seat opposite. There's a moment of pause as he digests the Prince's words. Then a frown plays across his face before he nods. "Very well sir... I appreciate the assurance that you will keep our secrets safe. I am sorry that we could not provide the answers you were looking for." Joseph pauses for a moment and then leans back slightly waiting to see what the Prince's second order of business was.

Asa gave an apologetic nod, and then paused before continuing.

"The second is actually Clan business. Priscus Stamford wished me to pass on --if I saw you first-- that she is forbidding the teaching of our signature Discipline, Dominate, to any not of the Ventrue Blood."

"O?" What was becoming a sullen expression fades from Joseph's face as curiosity replaces it. "Was someone attempting to learn it?" He leans forward in his chair, wondering what could cause the Priscus to make such a declaration.

Holding his hands out in the universal gesture of ignorance, Asa smiled. "In this case, I am only the messenger. If I had to hazard a guess, it would be that she seeks to ensure our very small number retains every advantage at it's disposal."

"We do have a rather small number." Joseph shrugs with a smile though. Their small number hasn't stopped them from occupying the Praxis, Seneschal and Harpy positions within the Domain. "Sir, if I may ask though. Do you have plans to join any of the other Covenants?"

Asa gave Joseph a curious look, with a half smile.

"I will be returning to the Invictus."

He settled back against the couch, crossing his legs and plucking at the crease of his slacks.

"Beyond the accumulation of power, I believe it provides structure that our... kind... needs. I believe in civility and ceremony as well, because man is a creature of habit... whereas the Beast is not." He looked at the other man as he spoke, as if discussing a Coil or academic text, wanting him to understand that there was more to the First Estate.

"I have never thought about the Invictus in that way before. I had assumed that they were obsessed with the accumulation of power. I was wrong it seems." Joseph pauses for a moment as he collects his thoughts. "That does seem like a powerful but subtle way of keeping the Beast in check."

"Well, it can be, and for some it is, but I think the same can be said for any Covenant," Asa replied.

"It comes down to the individual then, whether or not they respond to it. This will make Court more interesting, to see how each individual reacts to imposed structure." Joseph's voice trails off at the end, then a faint smile. "My apologies sir, I haven't thought of Covenants in such a way before. I do not wish to take up your entire night."

Asa nodded, standing. "Have a good night then, Sworn Hartman," Asa said, using the Dragon's title. "If you need anything, of course you may ask Scribe Naetesh to pass a message."

"Thank you, have a good night sir."