Animus had enjoyed the block party, the kind of social interaction it provided, and ... he missed those chances to socialize. How long has it been since the Neidan were whole?

So he had invited Joshua and Triquetra over. His place at the Circle might not be the largest, or even particularly tidy, but it was home, or at any rate the closest thing he had.

He still hasn't decided whether Ruby's recent scarcity is a help or hindrance.

Triquetra slipped into the room after him, navigating it with an ease that bespoke of some familiarity. And she sprawled onto his bed with a casualness that bespoke of...something else. Rolling onto her back, she propped herself up on her elbows as she gave Animus an inquisitive look. Trust the ever-curious Guardian to wonder what the impromptu meeting was about.

A few minutes afterward Joshua was at the Circle, walking through familiar halls until he came to a door he'd never been through before. He rapped three times. Curiosity was soon to be assuaged.

Animus' eyes crinkle in amusement as Triquetra lays claim to the bed. "Marking your territory?" Anything else he might say is cut off by the knocking.

Turning to the door, he greets Joshua with a smile. "Welcome. Can I get either of you something to drink?"

After leading his friend inside to rejoin Triquetra, Animus' expression momentarily reveals the slightest hint of weariness. "It seems like so long since we've had a chance to just talk, no distractions, no Sleepers. I miss those chances."

"No, I'm good." She'd had enough at the club, after all. "Hmm...and did you just ask us all to come here to talk, or is there something else on your mind too?"

Joshua tries not to think about what she might mean by that question. "No, I'm good, thank you," he says to Animus, and leans against the wall with his arms crossed. "So what's on your mind?"

Am I that transparent? Of course he knew the answer to that question without asking. But now, asked point-blank, his mind tries to shy away from the answer. Why do I run into a wall every time I reach for the things I want most?

A deep breath, and he all but blurts out, "I want to form a Cabal again. I --" his voice catches, as if almost afraid to continue. "I need something to call a pack." Almost immediately, the Orphan's mind grasps for an anchor, his familiar. Some way to not feel so vulnerable. As Guards-the-Pack trots over, Animus' hand comes to rest on the spirit's flank almost unconsciously. Why am I so afraid, even of my closest friends?

Joshua nods as though he'd expected this. Ruby's absence is noted as well--and is also expected, after the last time they'd gone over the question. He's not sure how he feels about that but reckons he's going to have to figure it out soon.

"A three-legged table is stable, but only just," he says. "Did you have anybody else in mind? One of the new additions?"

Animus's words catch her off guard slightly, and give her pause. She simply wasn't on the same level as animus when it came to arcane might or combat ability, and suspected that Joshua had her similarly outclassed. She'd be the weak link, the one they'd have to watch out for. The thought was not a comforting one.

But the sheer level of vulnerability in his voice cut to the core, and she couldn't possibly say no. Her hand reached out, hooking through one of his belt loops and pulling her close enough to wrap her arms around him in a silent show of assent and support as she waited for his response to Joshua's question.

For a moment Animus hardly dares breathe, as if all this were a crystal that might shatter given the slightest vibration. After so many months, the painof severed bonds, could it really come together this simply? But no, under Triq's embrace, he could feel it. This was real.

Then Joshua's words sink in, resonate. A three-legged table ... Ankh had been the lynchpin. When she vanished ... Could I even survive another collapse like that? With newer additions, there wouldn't be quite the level of trust, at least not at first. But they'd need the resilience they might bring. "I could see Technique, or maybe Ariadne, as possible additions. Or Ruby, given a bit of time, I think."

Triquetra pondered the names Animus mentioned, fingernails idly tracing a pattern across Animus's chest as she did. Ruby certainly had a lot of history with him. She wasn't sure if the same could be said of Ariadne, but her fellow Guardian had been around longer than she'd been so she wasn't sure. Technique he almost certainly had not spent much time with. "Are you suggesting some of those names because you think you'll be comfortable working with them, or because you want to get to a certain number of members?" After all, you couldn't force something like this.

Joshua nods, dropping his hands to his sides as he considers the names. "Those two have potential. Could be useful to have them around, certainly. And we can leave a light on for Ruby, if she decides she wants to join us." He's glad the option is there, saving him--for now--from having to test how strong his loyalties are.

For a moment Animus relaxes into Triq, soaking in her warmth before pulling away slightly with an apologetic look toward Joshua. It takes him a few moments longer before finally responding. "I gave those names because if there's anyone I could mesh with, it's them. But also ... every time a Cabal collapsed, it's ripped a larger piece out of me. I'd like to at least have the security of not losing everything if something happens to one person." He sighs, with a slight shake of his head. "But maybe we are trying to move a little quickly there. I guess we should make sure the three of us are settled before trying to pull in anyone else."

Nothing's set in stone, Joshua almost says, but stops himself. "We don't have to settle anything right away," he says instead, nodding to Animus. "See how things go, then add others if it feels right."

"You're right, nothing needs to be settled now. Except...maybe, a name. I always feel better about something once it's named."
Eyes slide between the two Cabal-mates in the room with her. "Anyone have any ideas?"

Animus pauses for a moment, gears churning almost visibly. "I don't think we can go back to being the Living Stones. Too much has happened since then. Maybe something along the lines of phoenix?" It's not like there aren't enough ashes to rise from.

Joshua shakes his head, "We're not the Stones. It wouldn't be right to take that name." He almost asks why they even need one--but for one, it's traditional, and for another... he knows how important names are to magic. If he's really going to accept what he is, this is part and parcel.

"Renascentia? It's, uh, it's Latin. For 'rebirth.' Or there's 'Renati Ex Igne.'"

Hmm...but Latin always seemed to be such a boring language nowadays. "What if we used cycle, or wheel, or something? We could work the rebirth theme in more subtly. And so far we have Thyrsus and Moros, Life and Death, Matter and Spirit. Opposite sides of the same cycle."

Animus' hand idly trails through Guards-the-Pack's fur as he considers. It still seemed surreal, actually forming a Cabal again after how much pain the previous attempt had led to. "I'm not sure I'd want to focus on Path imagery, in case we do end up expending in the future. But I like the flow of the latin. It has a nice ring to it."

Joshua shrugs. "I like the idea," he says to Triq, "but he's right. Might close out any further membership if we do find someone suitable to invite." And it's an honest statement; he does think there's something worthwhile there if they went down that path. All the same he can't help feeling a bit of happiness that Animus gave the nod to his idea instead of hers.

It was Triquetra's turn to shrug. "So then it's renesc...renascend....umm, what was it again?" She doubted that anyone would ever confuse her with a scholar, or a Latin-speaker. Definitely not a Latin-speaker.

Joshua smiles. "Renascentia," he says slowly so she can hear the flow of it. "Like ascension, almost," he adds, in case that would help--not that he knows what she thinks of that lofty ideal. He considers it a fairy tale akin to gnomes spinning gold from straw or houses made of candy. Then again, he's a wizard; perhaps it's an unfair assessment.

"Renascentia. It's a nice name. Rebirth?" Animus had been with the Ladder long enough to take ascension seriously, but it could never be a personal goal. The Orphans of Proteus were often just that, caught between worlds, never truly belonging. But he had developed ties everywhere, obligations that he could not leave behind. Like the bond just now cementing itself.

"Ren-a-scen-tia." The word is spoken slowly, each syllable of the unfamiliar language rolling from her tongue. "I should be able to remember that." Though hopefully no one would ask her to spell it. "So three members, a name...looks like we have a cabal." And she resists the urge to give Animus that glance...because she had a few awfully specific ideas as to how the two of them could celebrate later.

And just like that, it's done. Another cabal formed, built upon what came before. Joshua isn't sure how he feels--part of him thinks he could have gone on forever without putting down ties--but his friend needed this, and that's really all the motivation he needs.

Speaking of motivation, he'd been picking up pretty clear signals almost since he got here, and decides it'd be good to clear out while those two still had their clothes on. "I'll see you both later, then," the Moros says. With a half-wave, he lets himself out.