Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletinEdge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Ended
Watch

Iron Moot

THREADID
DISPLAYED
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last

This is the Summer thread-of-deciding-a-Sovereign. All Summers are invited. If you don't show up, forever hold your peace. Note that since this is taking place after the Spring Coronation, in game continuity, most newcomers can be assumed to be sworn-in to the Freehold oath. For those of you that haven't been in The Burn, Summer's common Hollow, before; the description is in the Summer social group.

They had time. The message didn't have to be loud. It didn't have to be obvious. It just had to sit in places where people would see it. Graffiti on the wall across from an old diner. Notes scrawled onto napkins as drinks are served in The Forge. A poster stapled to a telephone pole outside the boarding house. A meeting is being held. Summer will come in a few short months, and the Wyrd will crown it's next sovereign. Until then... they need, at least, a figurehead. The ship must have a captain. The army must have a general. The court must have it's prince.

As usual, Ramona has arranged it all. The senior, active member of the court in Sacramento. Resentful that it has to be her. But swallowing that frustration so she can do what must be done. This isn't a party, all the hard liquor has been stowed away. There's no meat grilling on any of the fires. You can grab a beer if you need one, but that's about it. Tonight is about business, plain and simple. Sparks waft up from the bonfire into the Hedge's starry sky. Ramona watches them, leaning back in one of the carved benches she shaped with her own hands. Propped against the arm of the bench, metal glinting in the firelight, rests a round shield, a bastard sword in it's scabbard, and a polearm of some sort with it's head hidden by a small sheet, covering it. The exchange of power can be violent in the Summer Court. Whatever comes, Ramona will be prepared.

Though the weapons are nearby, she is otherwise casual. Barefoot, dressed in worn-out jeans and an old, white t-shirt. Her knife is at her hip, but that's not unusual. Nestled in a concealed holster at the small of her back is a revolver, just in case. Her mantle has grown, filling the air around her with the fumes of hot metal and burning coals, with the muted roar of a distant, simmering furnace, and giving those in her presence the impression that she is bigger and stronger than they are, regardless of whether or not that is physically true. Deciding she'd rather be on her feet than seated when the others arrive, she stands, then bends to reach over to a tangle of dried vines and weeds, the unusable leavings of a hedge-fruit harvest, and toss them into the bonfire. They go up with a crackle, shooting the flames higher as she straightens, and awaits the rest of her court.

M
    MrDream

Approaching across the fire from the powerful summer, Keith resists the urge to make a showy entrance.

Instead he taps his contract with elemental fire through the emblem on his belt, and sits, coat and all, on the edge of the bench closest to the flaring fire, and reaches out his hands, luxuriating in the kinship between this summer fire, and his own.

He's interested in this meeting, and if it will coax out anyone interested and or capable of taking the crown of summer over the stout warrior, who seems to have loaded for bear.

His only concession to being in the summer hollow is to move his crafty knife from the lining of his coat to his boot, it's presence in the hedge removing all trace of it's modern kitchenware mask, leaving only the hob-leathery strips he had wrapped around the base of the impressive hedgethorn with utilitarian spikes on crossguard and pommel.

M
    Matrixchild

It seemed a ruler of Summer must be decided. Hank didn't expect it to be him. Would he even offer his name? Probably not. He showed up anyway though, because at the very least he should be a part of the discussion. One would think that his frosted exterior would shy away from the heat, but he wasn't actually affected by it at all. Sand and Ice mixed in a dirty, dry cold, hardly affected by fire. He more felt frozen on the inside than on the outside anyway.

Walking in he looked across the fire to both Keith and Ramona. "How's it going," he said before taking a seat. "Any idea who wants the spot?" Hank was not subtle. Blunt and straight to the point was his way of doing things. It only made sense that way.

Alex Rivers

Alex isn't sure what to expect as he enters the Hollow. He's been in town barely two months and a sworn member for much for less than that. He's not sure how much his opinion on the choice of new leader will count. Or should count. But that's kind of the problem. Summer is now made up mostly of newcomers...

He pauses by the cooler, trying to get a feel for the setting. The weapons immediately catch his eye. Things feel... tense. He's wearing only his normal street attire of jeans, polo shirt and light jacket, and he's brought no manufactured weapon aside from the small pocket knife he always carries. But of course he can be a weapon if he really has to. He really, really hopes this isn't going to be that kind of night... After a moment's thought he grabs a bottle of water instead of a beer. Keeping a clear head seems like a very good idea right now.

"Hey, guys. I'm glad to finally be here for real." He nods to Hank. "And I'll start out by saying... no, I don't want the spot."

Want to give it another day or two to see if Charles Goldwat and/or Penelope Glass can step in.

M
    MrDream

Keith's faith in the Wyrd as part of the Powers-That-Be made him confident that who wanted the spot would be only one consideration of who wound up being crowned... but what folks had to say... and do... about the who should get the spot could be revealing of their character. With a topic so close to the freeholds powerful communal wyrd, it might even be formative to their character.

If the hedge had tough him one thing about reality, it was that it was a healthy portion subjective... just not necessarily subject to YOU.

"Filling the spot right is important, but not urgent, and I may toss my hat in, depending."

He had liked what he had seen about the freeholds democratic processes so far... but more important than who others recognized as "in charge" was who he could trust as knowledgeable, decisive, and trustworthy. His experience as a lieutenant in the slave-soldier band had shown him that the titular head of a group mattered far less than the de-facto experts in any given area.

Three out of five. A poor turn out, considering how weighty this discussion is. Should be. The others may yet show up, but Alex and Keith are already starting. She gives Keith a narrow-eyed glance. A newcomer, presuming much, as he contemplates 'tossing his hat in.' Ramona takes two quick strides towards where her weapons lean against the bench. With an easy motion, she grabs the polearm with one hand, the other reaching up and tearing the sheet off it's head. Metal glints off the head of the weapon, revealed to be a spear. Probably the most beautiful spear, the most beautiful weapon, certainly one of the most beautiful works of art they've ever laid eyes on. Mundane, made of steel and ash, but beautiful none the less. It is a hard and brutal beauty, a gorgeous, sturdy blade. A pair of lugs shaped like sharpened boar's tusks. Icons of the summer sun, and geometric runes. A butt-cap shaped like a closed fist. Resting it on the ground, she holds it upright with one hand, and stands facing them, feet apart and posture solid, confident.

"I made this spear as a gift for our King," Ramona says, glancing up at it's head for a moment, and then leveling her gaze at the other Summers. "As a symbol of my commitment, to him, to our Court, to this Freehold. I never gave it to him, because I suspected that he was not worthy." At Marcus's insistence she had time and again given him the benefit of the doubt. No more. She looks Keith in the eye, "Our Court is small, and young. I've only been here a year, but that's a year longer than any of you." Then turns her gaze to Hank, "I helped build this Hollow. I've defended the people of this Freehold. I've never turned away when one of us came to me in danger or in need." Finally, her eyes settle on Alex, "And I, alone, have carried on our Court's traditions and our rituals, when all else have abandoned it. I am the reason that there is any Summer Court here at all."

Again her eyes drift over the three of them. "I forged this spear of metal and fire and sweat and blood. For us. For our Court. For a leader worth following." There's a beat, and the fire crackles, throwing her shadow out across the other summers, emphasizing the unnatural enormity of her presence, and roaring as if in compliment to her words. "I have only one question...

"Do any of you think that you are more worthy of it than I?"

For clarity, Ramona forged this spear using West's crafting rules. Technically, it has the same rules as any other spear, but Ramona voluntarily took a -5 penalty to her rolls to try to create something of outstanding quality, and succeeded. A -5 penalty is equated to painting the Mona Lisa.

M
    MrDream

Keith tries to hide his pleasure at this bold response.

God I hope not. Let you be all you seem... and if you are stretching to present the best figure you can... may you get stuck that way and grow into it.

Keith ached to examine that spear closer. Made by her own hand, as a gift for the summer king, and held back because she felt the man was lacking. Keith loved that "fuck tha man" aspect of her tale. A labor of love made as tribute which time and chance conspired to keep with her until she was made ready... it's existence spoke well of her right to bear it.

Then again, he glanced to the pretty green man and stoic sandbar... how much better would it be to have more than one such. His experience with both men had been that of solid competence and subtle intelligence, but if they were hiding such fires under a bushel, the fledgeling summer court could easily make up for numbers with quality.

He would see what else was said... before commenting further, as in this case, silence truly could speak for him.

It said the "no, but I'm watching you in case you prove me wrong" in a lot fewer syllables.

S
    Selena

OOC Note

I heard back from Awakeorangutang, they are busy with school work and it seems like they will not be participating in this thread. Mavspade made a post about her delays here. I sent her another PM about this thread particularly. But the post was tagged, an OOC announcement was made for the whole venue. So, please proceed if you would like.

Swami M Matrixchild speak now or forever hold your peace, guys.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last
Closed Thread