Ended
Watch

Lost Among Antiques

THREADID
DISPLAYED
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last
    N
    Nana

The art of losing isn't so hard to master. What was once precious can turn to junk before polish might make it gleam again. Worth becomes a dream made somewhere between the crafter and the owner, an object's history and its new life. Wandering through the maze of stacked furniture, lamps, art, figurines, and yet stranger things is a woman with spindly fingers and a sharp gaze.

Nana is hunched forward, inspecting a turn of the (last) century porcelain doll tucked in a far back corner of the sprawling 7,000 square foot location. She seemed to be any other older seasoned woman, dressed in casual layers and simple hat coming in from the lingering summer heat of quiet, late afternoon with tote bag held by her side. Only her harsh jewelry featuring rusted metal and straw paired with 'vinegar' stained boots draw an uneasy eye. That and the strange way her shadow seems to flicker despite the even light.

She wasn't just here to shop, likely only to purchase something as an act of goodwill to the owners. Instead she was looking for something else. Something to prove that these things were just that, despite the nightmare that the stately anachronisms reminded her of -- of what she once was herself. Still, her fingers didn't touch the doll only because it was fragile and she couldn't stop their light tremble.

She's a little spooked
    Date Action Roll Result
    2018-09-04 10:59:07 Nana rolls 4 to Conceal her fears (Wits 3 + Subt 1) (10 Again) 6, 5, 3, 2 failure

Open scene is open, come be social 'lings! There's plenty of nooks and crannies in a big place like this, but is still a public place. Nana's mask is hardened and friendly reminder that veiled language/club speak should be used. I say have fun with what ya might find ^^

0 Scenes

Posts from the 2018 Rollback!

Ingrid moves carefully through the narrow lanes between junk and treasure, old and new. She is still waring a summer outfit: a dress, light cardigan, broad brimmed hat and sunglasses, closed shoes. Her bag, now lumpen and shapeless, hangs from a strap on her shoulder.

The shop offers treasure as well as escape from the cruel sun.

She had not expected to see another of her kind. Especially not one Masked. The Darkling lingers patiently while she weighs up the possibilities and studies the woman's tell-tale, flickering, shadow.

"Do you need some help? I can get the shop assistant's attention if you'd like?" Ingrid announced her presence with a light cough.

Behind her, shadows dribbled from a nearby book case and pooled at her feet.

Ingrid took off her glasses, placed them on her hat.

Squinting: "I'm sorry. Have we met?"
    Nana couldn't help the gasp that escaped her as a voice from behind broke her uneasy fixation on the doll. She spun around, cornered in by bookcases and stacked end tables. Her tote clutching hand was brought to her chest, other raised up with fingers curled and splayed. Her draining sutures writhed, if hidden by her Mask.

Her eyes flashed even wider at seeing another of her kind. She'd been told of Ingrid in only the loosest sense, same as Sasha. The perfume of plums. Spring. Shadow calling and beautiful. Is it her? The thought all that helped ease the Fear she was so intimate with. "Oh, no -- No, I was just browsing."

"Apologies." She lowered her hands and straightened herself. "I was just so focused on the pieces here." She then shook her head. "I'm not sure. I only recently moved to work as a nurse at the local amusement park." Which wasn't true of any position, but the company was still mixed. Her usually pursed lips worked into a smile. "I'm set to start this Fall, actually."

"Diana Ramirez." She held out her hand. "All the little ones call me Nana though and I've grown somewhat fond of it."
    There was a sneer from the old lady at the tills when she walked in. Echo got it, but like. It was 2018, some blond dressin' like a slut should not be shocking anymore.

And like, fuck. She wasn't in a skirt, and she was wearing panties this time. Sheesh.

Booty shorts (those are always fun to put on), awkwardly worn flip-flops because, fuck she didn't wanna waste glamour just to put on cute shoes. Tank-crop-it was basically a bra-top, with a jacket thrown over it. So it wasn't like her arms were bare or anything.

Plus, y'know a hat and her mirror shades, yes even indoors, because she was a fucking Darkling.

A broken glass claw pokes at a creepy ass doll. Like. Somewhere between Chucky and Annabelle. But as her ears twitch and swivel around at the familiar sound of Ingrid's voice, she abandons the creepy thing. She didn't even know if Lucifer would like it.

She sighs, before plastering on a smile for the Verdant Victor, "Ingrid-my dear. Hello. It has been far too long, and your friend. Diana? Nana? Hmm, a nurse, and fall. Ohhh~ All the buzzwords." she winks, "I, am Echo," she says, drawing her arm across her body and bowing. Ears twitch, and tail flicks.
    A smile quirks at the edges of Ingrid's mouth when Echo makes her approach.

After a pause, Ingrid gingerly takes Nana's hand. Mundane folks might call her action stand-offish and plain rude, but Ingrid knew - and so did Nana, probably - of the power of touch and of bargains sealed for good or ill.

"Haven't heard of that. But its not like I take a controlling interest in what goes on there these days. I prefer a light touch. Let the job run itself so I can focus on more important matters. I take it you have an interest in the local club, then?"

As she spoke, Ingrid's head tilted slightly - it was a silent indicator of Nana's strange, flickering shadow.

Ingrid dreaded to think what her shadow would be like if she squeezed herself behind her Mask.
    Nana's watched as the glass clawed cat arrived nearly on full display and bringing a second blast of Spring vitality. The curiously un-Beastial feline's name drop of Ingrid confirmed it.

She was ever surprised by how casual they all were here, just as she had been with how informal and warm Sasha and John had been in their first meeting. It was both charming and somewhat strange for Nana to see so little fear, but Spring wasn't known for their shame.

"Quite, yes. Like a mouthful of bees." She said with a smile to Echo. "A pleasure, your name has such a nice ring."

She met Ingrid's gaze as the handshake, tentative as it may be, was made. Another trust, another reason for her to do the same. "Oh, it's simply my work and all the club is welcome to it. Yes and I'm glad we finally met."

As she pulled her hand away, she decided it might be rude to stay tucked away like this when they were being so upfront. She let her mask drop. The illusion slipping off her like smoke to reveal the harsh stretch of her face and the cracked open fingers with their bone spur tools. The hungry sutures that had caressed Ingrid's skin a moment earlier now clear. She grinned.

"I've heard so much of you, but I was tied up with getting to know my fellow coworkers and their -- strong personalities that I do apologize for not making an effort to see you sooner. Sasha was very helpful with my paperwork though."

She then looked about the store for a moment and all its . "Certainly didn't imagine this to be our first meeting, but what a refreshing turn. Have you two come looking for anything in particular?" She asked with a tilt of her head that only made her warped skin pull more taunt.
    Blade sharp eyes, follow Ingrid-Queen's head tilt, roving around and around the oddly shaped shadow.

Buzzwords a hint, while the shadow is as it ever will be, the confirmation.

"And it's keep ringing, and ringing and ringing~" she offers with a pleasant twist to her lips.

Hands drop and the Mask cracks, "Ah. Love a women who goes bare," paired with a fang peaking smirk and a selatious wink.

"Paperwork is always a chore, but one that helps the world go 'round." a hum, already seen Sasha, another point in the wizened's favour.

"Oh? Well," blade sharp eyes, flick about the space, "Yes and no. I'm here for a gift, but....I don't really know what I want to gift." a shrug, "I'll see what I'll see and if I make a find, I'll take it home with me."
    An Antiques store might not seem the most intuitive place to find a Fairest seeking Fear, but it was not Glamour that Rhodes was on the prowl for. Many an enchanted item had strayed into the hands of a blissfully unaware mundane dealer, and it certainly paid no harm to check.

The would-be Dread Lord crossed the threshold, smiling politely and inclining his head to the one behind the counter. Heading over to a cabinet displaying jewellery, pocket watches, and all manner of assorted small curios, Rhodes angled himself to see as many items as possible before stretched out with his senses, his vivid green eyes blooming blood red for a moment as the Contract of Spellbound Autumn

| Rhodes rolls 6 to Warlock's Gaze: Wyrd2+Occ3+Autumn bonus1 (10 Again) 2 successes|
    I'm not expecting to find anything here, but if there was a time to add a hilarious plot curio, I'll totally be up for that!

While hunting thought the artifacts, a familiar voice touches Rhodes' ears. Moving stealthily among the tall shelves and furniture, he peeks around a pine wardrobe to see a small gathering of his fellow Lost.

"Isn't that all any of us can do?" Rhodes says in response to Echo's statement, stepping boldly out from behind the wardrobe, with that charming smile on his face. "Who knows what gems one may find in such a room of curios, just as I have done?" He looks at each of the ladies in turn. "Nana. Lady Ingrid." He inclines his head slightly to the Vernal Queen. "The pleasure is all mine. And you are...?" He looks Echo up and down for a moment. "Hmm. We met at the big Summer party, didn't we? Ahhhh.... Echo, wasn't it? So sorry I couldn't stop to talk back then, but I was doing something of a whistle-stop tour at the time. Nice to meet you again."

The Flowering Fairest smiles. "So! My dear lovely ladies. Looking for anything in particular?"
    A look of glee crossed the Vernal Sovereign's face as the Ashen Courtier let slip her Mask. Stirred by her desire, Ingrid's mantle flared in an aromatic burst of plum.

"Look at you," she purred oblivious to the other Lost around her.

She continued: "Don't worry about it. I perfectly understand."

Still smiling, she turned to Echo in order to better respond to her Courtier's own needs but was stymied when Rhodes made his appearance.

"Wha - Well. Well. I'm browsing. Echo is looking for an inspired gift. Nana was looking at a doll, I think. What brings you here? We can't all be browsing, surely?" She gave the Flowering Fairest a coy smile.
    Ingrid's purr leaves her flustered, a rush of blood to her neck and cheeks proving it. That was not the kind of response she'd ever experienced from her newly acquired looks. It wasn't unpleasant to experience all the same.

She returns Echo's saucy wink with one of her own, a little emboldened now. "Glad to please, but do remember to cover up now and then. Even the Fruits of my labor can't remove all warts."

"Rhodes, I'd never have thought you'd be interested in the second hand. Today is full of many a pleasant surprise." She was glad he'd shown to help equal out some of the vivaciousness between the two Springs.

"Yes, I was hoping to bring something new into my collection. This is perhaps a little too frilly." Bearing horrific memory was the full truth, but overly delicate wasn't her style either. "I was also in the market to perhaps pick up a wearable accessory. The next big company party is just around the corner and jewelry is a rarity in my collection as it stands."

She looked back to Echo since she mentioned gifts. "What sort of taste does your friend have? Perhaps we could find something together -- fashion is very much a field I claim ignorance in and could use the advice." She was fond of her rough hewn necklace she wore currently, but rust and straw didn't seem fitting for a Coronation, even Autumn's.
    "Rhodes!" Echo purrs out in greeting, "Wyrd done it huh?" a wink, "Two and two, balanced across."

Tail flicking behind her, "Hmm," broken glass claw tapping her lips, "The very best, the beautiful, the dreadful, something awe inspiring, but will also fill one with despair.....hmm, mayhaps I am in the wrong market for such a thing....but I thought I would check ironside first."

blade sharp eyes rove.

"Perhaps a necklace? A choker or broach?"
    Rhodes nods along to Ingrid's description, his eyes twinkling, and returns the smile with one of his own.

"I like to think I'm full of surprises," he grins. "A place like this has so many things that pass through it. I like to keep an eye on such places, see if I can spot any valuable.. tokens... that might have slipped away from those that can truly appreciate them, and collect them before they disappear forever. I have an excellent eye for such things."

He watches Echo, one he is not so familiar with yet. "It does have a pleasant symmetry doesn't it?"

Beautiful? Dreadful? Despair? "Sounds like your friend has expensive tastes. Although, I did see a cabinet of jewelry nearer the entrance. Does your friend favor somber or bright colors? I think there were several attractive necklaces in there, though I myself favoured one in gold and opal."
    He gestures back towards the entrance with a wave of one arm.
    Ingrid's face grew impish when the Autumn Courtier mentioned tokens.

"Nothing wrong with building your own collection, Nana."

The Vernal Sovereign was, not surprisingly, hushed to silence as she listened in on Echo's immediate desire - and by extension, that of her mysterious friend.

"Jewellery is always a fine choice. What would best suit your friend: something brash? Chunky? Light and filigree?" There was an edge of her voice that she did not intend. Too late, she had her suspicions on who the friend might be.
    Nana hummed with Echo's mix of descriptors. I don't suppose someone like her would settle for a quiet partner either. "Hm, well -- a choker, whatever its style, does have a certain controlled elegance to it."

"Is that so?" She mused about Rhodes' veiled mention of tokens. "I'd not considered that myself -- but if anything does catch your eye I do hope you'll share with the class. Finders keepers, but I'd be very interested in delving into that kind of history. Sacramento does seem full of it's own peculiar magic and I imagine this store must be no different."

She then started in the direction of the jewelry case. In no great hurry though, with Rhodes' reminder of hidden power she now gave each piece a new eye as she passed.
    "Ooh! Rhodes!' Echo purrs, "That's a valiant quest. Tokens and Trifles. Hmm, yes. Mayhaps that is what I should be looking for as well..." she says, eyes drifting around towering shelves and the over full tables and bins.

"I would shower her in diamonds and gold if I were able." broken glass claw pokes at the lace on a doll. "Something elegant, but bold. Might I bother you lovely fall creatures for advice on these Trifles and Tokens and traditionally 'Spun things?" she was a Spring and while she knew of her Desire to gift a grand gift to her heart, she knew next to nothing in the face of Autumn's studies.
    Rhodes gives the Vernal Sovereign a sly wink.

"I don't know how reliable it will be yet, but even the most innocuous of items may have a tale to tell. Not only can I spot such things, but given enough time I can figure out the use of even the most... ah, unfamiliar archaic trinket," Rhodes admits genially. "It's a gift."

He watches Echo as she asks about trifles and tokens. "I'm afraid I was never much of a craftsman. Though Wolfgang claimed to have a talent, if you can find him nowadays - he seems to have withdrawn recently. Spotting them, however, is easier if you know how. Either you can learn my way - a knack from the club Nana and I belong to, or, as long as your mind is... clear, with a little force of effort you can spot the little idiosyncrasies that help you see an item of true value from some standard junk." He shrugs. "Of course, if you find yourself... Not being able to focus of seeing clearly, neither way may be much use."

The Flowering Fairest looks around at the furniture, stroking a finger along one dusty arm. He flicks his fingers to remove the dust.

3. Likes Xadun liked this post
    Presence
    (Trouble)
    Striking Looks
    (Provocateur)
    Oasis in the desert, glass roses and palm leaves
    (Mantle)
    Status (Clubs)
    (Contacts (Clubs, Street))
    Echo

Contacts: Street, Clubs
    Status Clubs ●

Mask

A blond 20something, who uses too much eye makeup.
    Mien

Human silhouette altered by a lion's ears and tail paired with digitigrade legs, causing her to walk on leoline toes. Fur comprises of hard packed sand, turning into sun scorched glass. Her hands come to deadly broken glass claws, while her eyes are overly large, their pupils slit, gleam silver like a naked blade.
    Mantle

Oasis in the desert, glass roses and palm leaves peak from her hair, her glass body reflects the shimmer of long awaited water
    Hedgespun

Foot Wrap L ● +1 Defence
    Mask: Cute Boot (L)
    Mien: A length of hardened threads of woven silver sand.

Foot Wrap R ● +2 Initiative
    Mask: Cute Boot (R)
    Mien: A length of captured lighting, dancing on woven clouds.

Engagement Ring ●● +2 Defence
    Mask: An Engagement Ring
    Mien: a large, brilliantly coloured bumblebee, looking as though it was made of wild flowers itself, rather than any mundane black and yellow creature, and held inside a ring made of clear amber.
    Normal Equipment!

Leather Jacket, (Reinforced Clothing), Smart Phone, Bowie Knife.

+1
    SL
    PRE

Wyrd
    •••
    Razorhand Truefriend

She nods decisively, "Then I will seek him out and we will speak." already making plans to corner the reclusive Wizened.

The Lioness playfully pouts, "Gosh darn, you scurry folks." she clicks, her tongue, "All the luck with trinket locatin'."

She laughs, "I have regaled you all with mine goals, and pushed and shoved until you all have thought of me and mine, so, I ask and open the floor. I have a goal and an idea, but what of the rest of you? Have you all faired well, found what treasures you Desire?"
    Wyrd ●●● | Heath: | Willpower: | Glamour:

Presence
    (Charming)
    Distinctive Voice
    ((Gravitas))
    Rigid Mask
    Mantle - Chilling breeze, summoning tiny leaves
    Rhodes
    Mein

Mein: Rhodes has pale whitish skin, elfin ears and deep, overly large emerald eyes. Thin black veins broach the surface of his skin like the roots of a tree emerging from the ground. Dark, broad leaves sprout from his wrists, ankles and temples, spreading around the back of his head. Deep red flowers bloom at the temples and wrists.
    Mantle

Mantle: A breath of icy wind, the kind that penetrates and sends a chill down the spine. Ash leaves in red, yellow and gold spin into existance around him, caught on the breeze. As the wind blows, unnerving whispers can be heard, always coming from a direction just out of one's field of vision.
    Rhodes Scenes

+1
    DV
    PRE

Flowering

Rhodes raises an eyebrow at Echo's pout. "Doesn't just work on things." He winks. "It's a handy little knack."

He shakes his head. "Sadly, nothing that interests me yet, but who knows? I may get lucky while I browse. All the planning in the world only gets you so far. When things are in motion, you still need a little luck." The Fairest looks to the others, and past to the porceline doll.

"I always found those things a mite disturbing. It's the eyes, I think," his own green ones twinkling.
    Flowering Fairest, Mantle: An ever-changing, spine-chilling icy wind, creating spinning autumn leaves and haunting whispers.

Striking Looks 2 "Ethereal"
    Retainer
    (Angus (ensorcelled mortal))
    Ingrid
    Ingrid

Mein

Very much like her Mask. However, her skin takes on a more reflective, rubbery texture and she appears... thinner... with limbs that are slightly too long and thin for her general proportions. There is also faint traces of webbing between her fingers and toes.

+1
    SL
    PRE

The impish grin remained fixed on the Darkling's face.

"I didn't really have a Desire, or a design for one, when I entered here. I simply wanted to get out of the sun." Ingrid declared with a certain degree of fake solemnity.
    Darkling: Palewraith |Spring Mantle 3 (Heady scent of plums)
    WYRD 3| Health: 7| Willpower: 5 | Glamour: 7| Striking Looks 2: "Ethereal"

N
    Nana

Having paused in front of a sensible wooden bookcase, wondering if she really wanted the hassle of it when she was unlikely to host guests in her motel room anyway, she looked back as Echo bounced the question back into the court. “Desire is such a strong word. If I can find an accessory I’ll wear more than once, I’ll feel as accomplished as to be expected from shiny beads.”

Rhodes’ comment on the doll had her chuckle, the shared acknowledgement of those unsettling qualities doing much to keep her fears small and memories in the past. “Worse when they’re missing though, I find.”

Presence
    (Charming)
    Distinctive Voice
    ((Gravitas))
    Rigid Mask
    Mantle - Chilling breeze, summoning tiny leaves
    Rhodes
    Mein

Mein: Rhodes has pale whitish skin, elfin ears and deep, overly large emerald eyes. Thin black veins broach the surface of his skin like the roots of a tree emerging from the ground. Dark, broad leaves sprout from his wrists, ankles and temples, spreading around the back of his head. Deep red flowers bloom at the temples and wrists.
    Mantle

Mantle: A breath of icy wind, the kind that penetrates and sends a chill down the spine. Ash leaves in red, yellow and gold spin into existance around him, caught on the breeze. As the wind blows, unnerving whispers can be heard, always coming from a direction just out of one's field of vision.
    Rhodes Scenes

+1
    DV
    PRE

Flowering

Rhodes nods in agreement with Ingrid. "It can be fierce. I admit I look keenly to the coming turn of seasons. Of course, the heat affects me slightly less than some." As if bidden, a chill breeze from the Autumn Courtier's mantle ripples around the gathered Lost, and a grin spreads across his face.

He turns looking at the shelves, casting his eye along the wooden boards. Selecting a silver hip-flask commemorating some obscure social event, he picks it up and examines it thoughtfully.
    Flowering Fairest, Mantle: An ever-changing, spine-chilling icy wind, creating spinning autumn leaves and haunting whispers.

Presence
    (Trouble)
    Striking Looks
    (Provocateur)
    Oasis in the desert, glass roses and palm leaves
    (Mantle)
    Status (Clubs)
    (Contacts (Clubs, Street))
    Echo

Contacts: Street, Clubs
    Status Clubs ●

Mask

A blond 20something, who uses too much eye makeup.
    Mien

Human silhouette altered by a lion's ears and tail paired with digitigrade legs, causing her to walk on leoline toes. Fur comprises of hard packed sand, turning into sun scorched glass. Her hands come to deadly broken glass claws, while her eyes are overly large, their pupils slit, gleam silver like a naked blade.
    Mantle

Oasis in the desert, glass roses and palm leaves peak from her hair, her glass body reflects the shimmer of long awaited water
    Hedgespun

Foot Wrap L ● +1 Defence
    Mask: Cute Boot (L)
    Mien: A length of hardened threads of woven silver sand.

Foot Wrap R ● +2 Initiative
    Mask: Cute Boot (R)
    Mien: A length of captured lighting, dancing on woven clouds.

Engagement Ring ●● +2 Defence
    Mask: An Engagement Ring
    Mien: a large, brilliantly coloured bumblebee, looking as though it was made of wild flowers itself, rather than any mundane black and yellow creature, and held inside a ring made of clear amber.
    Normal Equipment!

Leather Jacket, (Reinforced Clothing), Smart Phone, Bowie Knife.

+1
    SL
    PRE

Wyrd
    •••
    Razorhand Truefriend

"A Desire to do away with the blistering sun is one I have and will continue to have and completely endorse for those who have no Desire for it's baking heat." she nods, the bring of her own floppy hat bouncing as she does.

Echo smirks, "You wanted something, and so it is your Desire to have this thing, no matter how great or small."

Looking at the doll, "Eyes or none these are the things that nightmares are made of. I mean..." she trails off, there were whole Realms of these nightmare of cotton and porcelain, "How many horror movies have these things in them?"
    Wyrd ●●● | Heath: | Willpower: | Glamour:

Striking Looks 2 "Ethereal"
    Retainer
    (Angus (ensorcelled mortal))
    Ingrid
    Ingrid

Mein

Very much like her Mask. However, her skin takes on a more reflective, rubbery texture and she appears... thinner... with limbs that are slightly too long and thin for her general proportions. There is also faint traces of webbing between her fingers and toes.

+1
    SL
    PRE

"Loads. I think. Its become something of a lazy short hand. They can't think of anything original or... different!"

Ingrid had turned to perusing - and had become entangled in a bucket filled with walking sticks.

"Its like clowns. Gah!"

Huffing, Ingrid twisted round.

"So you are free of desires, are you? Or just free of the desire for trinkets and bling?" She was speaking to Nana.
    Darkling: Palewraith |Spring Mantle 3 (Heady scent of plums)
    WYRD 3| Health: 7| Willpower: 5 | Glamour: 7| Striking Looks 2: "Ethereal"

N
    Nana

She looked over to Rhodes’ discovery of the flask and moves to give it a closer look herself. “Oh, that’s a nice one. I almost never see a flask anymore. It’s such a shame. I’m not a drinker, but there was always something exciting about seeing one get brought out from a pocket.”

“Cursed objects have always been a fear, but it does seem dolls get a great deal of focus. Clowns another., yes” She nodded with the talk of horror tropes, impressed to be having a conversation of Fear with Spring. “I always imagined it was because of the connection to childhood. It’s strange though. How we turn those things of comfort into nightmares over time. Seems a little cruel.” She said as more a consideration than a strict negative.

The huff of a Queen is always a big deal and her head tilted hearing Ingrid’s. “Free, no. Even for trinkets, at least in their immediacy. What they might offer or enhance is something else. I have as much desire as anyone. I greatly desire to get to know everyone better, for one.” Her grin returned, the shadow of her hat flickering as it was cast down over her features and warped by her mantle. “Inside and out.”

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last
Closed Thread

Members who have read this thread : 17

You do not have permission to view the list of names.