Fame
    (Entertainment)
    Madison Cross
    (Sleeper ID)
    Gnosis
    Aurora
    Aurora

Dedicated Magical Tool

Multicolored copper bracelet with intricate loops winding around her right wrist.
    Nimbus

The sweet, fragrant smells of roses mixed with lilacs emanate from her as she casts magic. The scent intensifies, bordering on intoxicating, when Life magic is cast. When Aurora casts Vulgar magic, the scent takes a nasty turn, to the putrid, nauseating odor of a rotting corpse. The stronger the magic, the more those around want to retch at the smell.
    Monthly Spells

Monthly spells done on character sheet.

Pulse of the Living World[POT 6]
    Organic Resilience[POT 6]
    (PrP Treasure Hunt)

Active Spells: 1/6
    [Detect Substance]Bone
    Personal Spells: 2/3
    Vulgar:
    Mana:6/8
    WP:3

FAME
    +1
    SL
    PRE

Aurora hadn’t figured out how to start the conversation yet. She had made the call, that was the first step.

Next step? No clue.

She’d never felt the urge to really discuss another Order, and having been a Therach for as long as she could remember, it never was relevant.

Except now. When the Ladder didn’t seem to fit her anymore. But maybe it never had? She’d never really pursed much with it. Sure, she’d passed her exam, and at one point wanted to be a Factotum more than anything. And maybe she never made that last step for a reason.

What a mess, she thinks with a heavy sigh as she refills her mug. She’d warmed some apple cider on the stove, adding in a few cloves and cinnamon sticks. She not only loved the taste, but the smell was amazing. At least to her.

Sitting at the table, she cups the mug in her hands, seeming to stare into it. Not that it would have the answers, but it was one of those times where you kind of stare into space. She was sitting on her legs, clad in baggy jeans. A brownish color sweater, hair in a side swept braid with the cutest golden headband. Least to her it was, she had to get it. Impulse buy. It was a thing.

Would Campy have any answers to help her? Time to find out.
    Yumyumcrow Campanella

Campanella
    Allies (City Hall)
    Allies (Criminal)
    Allies (Culture)
    Allies (Finance)
    Occult Skill
    Campanella
    Campanella
    Campanella's Scenes
    Stats

Clock

Health:
    Mana:
    WP:
    Armor 0
    Defense 2

Vulgar +1
    Active Spells: 3/5
    Personal Spells: 3/1

[2R] Analyze Artefact (Deep Scrutiny of Artefacts, Prolonged, 1 scene)
    [4R] Dark Matter (Matter Sight, Prolonged, 1 scene)
    [2R] One Mind, Two Thoughts (Prolonged, 1 scene)

Tangled Threads

Health:
    Mana:
    WP:
    Armor 4
    Defense 2

Vulgar +1
    Personal Spells: 1/3

[4] Aura Perception (Concentration, 1 scene)

[5] Third Eye (Mind Sight, Prolonged, 1 scene)

[2R] Unseen Aegis (Armor, 1 scene)

PRE

The Moros Campanella arrives as if on cue.

He strides purposefully into the room, still dressed in his grey business attire, with his coat folded carefully over his arm. His hair is a little ruffled, hinting at a hectic work day.

"I got your message, Aurora. What is up?"

He placed his coat over a chair. The sigh was evident in his voice: not an exhausted sigh but definitely one of relief. Before he sat he eyed her cup, raised a stalling finger, then inspected the apple cider on the stove. He returned with a cup of his own, sat heavily and inhaled the aromas spiralling gently from his cup.

"Ah. Wonderful. Hum. Now - you wanted to talk about our respective Orders?"

He sipped from his cup, keeping his questioning eyes on the Thearch.
    Campanella|Moros|Mysterium
    Gnosis: 4
    Occult Skill: 3

Aurora
    Spells
    Striking Looks
    (Riveting)
    Presence
    (Confident)
    Fame
    (Entertainment)
    Madison Cross
    (Sleeper ID)
    Gnosis
    Aurora
    Aurora

Dedicated Magical Tool

Multicolored copper bracelet with intricate loops winding around her right wrist.
    Nimbus

The sweet, fragrant smells of roses mixed with lilacs emanate from her as she casts magic. The scent intensifies, bordering on intoxicating, when Life magic is cast. When Aurora casts Vulgar magic, the scent takes a nasty turn, to the putrid, nauseating odor of a rotting corpse. The stronger the magic, the more those around want to retch at the smell.
    Monthly Spells

(PrP Treasure Hunt)

[Detect Substance]Bone
    Vulgar:

FAME
    +1
    SL
    PRE

A smile was offered as he entered the room and got a drink for himself.

“How’ve you been?”
    she asks.

Though she did wonder if he owned any jeans and t shirts. Thought for another time.

She waits as he sits before beginning.

“Nothing like a warm cup of amazing cider to get you going.”
    A careful sip was taken from her cup.

There was a pause as she thinks over how to start and a deep breath was taken, “I guess it’s no surprise that I’ve been going through an overhaul lately. I’ve been learning that quite a few things have changed when my path switched, and I’m trying to navigate it.” Then a shake of her head, “But I need help. I admit, I can’t figure it all out on my own.” Which was hard for her, someone who has been used to going through things on her own.

Blue eyes look at him, “My biggest hurdle is my Order. I don’t think I’m a Therach anymore.” She pauses, letting that sink in. One of the few times she had said that out loud, and the words still felt terrifying to her. “I find myself struggling with what they stand for now. It’s frustrating, because it’s the only Order I’ve known, but I can’t stay in it if I don’t believe it anymore.” Eyes look down at her cup again. Expressing her feelings was always a struggle for her.

“So I was curious about your Order. I know we’ve talked in the past about it, but things are different now. Now I’m trying to find who Aurora is now. And the only Orders I don’t know much about are the Arrows and the Mysterium.” The cup was absently turned. “But I know you can’t tell me everything,” she looks up with a smirk, “secrets and all, and that’s ok. But I’m curious.” Couldn’t fault a girl for wanting to know if his Order would speak to her. If what it stood for resonated with her.

There was then a sheepish shrug, “Sorry for the word dump. It’s been on my mind for a few months now.” She looked embarrassed by the sudden outburst of words.

4. Likes Yumyumcrow liked this post
    Campanella
    Allies (City Hall)
    Allies (Criminal)
    Allies (Culture)
    Allies (Finance)
    Occult Skill
    Campanella
    Campanella
    Campanella's Scenes
    Stats

Clock

Health:
    Mana:
    WP:
    Armor 0
    Defense 2

Vulgar +1

Tangled Threads

Health:
    Mana:
    WP:
    Armor 4
    Defense 2

Vulgar +1

PRE

Campanella sat quietly for a long moment before answering.

First, a curiosity: "What has changed? Why don't you believe in the Thearch's message any longer?"

And then, responding to Aurora's question more fully.

"Yes. I recall our conversation from back then. We had been talking about alchemy and your brewing hobby, as I recall. I still have my Oaths..."

"However, I can say this. We of the Mysterium believe that Knowledge is Power. Like all Power, there is a price. Sometimes knowledge will cost you only time; other times the price can be much steeper: friendships, material resources, blood and sweat. Maybe even a portion of your very being. But there is another side to that. If Knowledge has a Price, then one must have shrewd idea of that price (or possible price). The exchange has to be balanced. Transfers of Knowledge - that is, Power, have to be carefully managed. Like I said before, it is why were place barriers and little tests for those seeking Knowledge. It is something you must earn."

He shifted a little, put his glass down after wetting his lips.

"Since Knowledge is Power, it has to be preserved. Its too valuable a resource to waste, yes? Its where we have our major disagreements with people like the Guardian's. As you may have seen, Star once destroyed a valuable artefact the Threats liberated from the Seer's once. Artefacts, grimoires, rotes, fonts of mana... all of it! They are fragments of the... Fragments of the Supernal encoded in reality. To waste them is to deny the Supernal itself. Yes. Thats probably the best way to put it to a seeker like yourself."

He stared across the table.

"To deny the Supernal is to lend strength to the Abyss. It will only grow stronger as we drive the Supernal from this Fallen World."

A breath.

"The Mysterium hopes to gather the fragments of the Supernal, study them, learn from them. Maybe, under the right conditions, nurture them. And put them to correct use in the effort to restore this Fallen World of ours. Thats... probably the redacted version. Consider what I say as the very tip of a very large iceberg."

6. Likes Orianna liked this post
    Aurora
    Spells
    Striking Looks
    (Riveting)
    Presence
    (Confident)
    Fame
    (Entertainment)
    Madison Cross
    (Sleeper ID)
    Gnosis
    Aurora
    Aurora

Dedicated Magical Tool

Nimbus

Monthly Spells

(PrP Treasure Hunt)

[Detect Substance]Bone
    Vulgar:

FAME
    +1
    SL
    PRE

She shifts her legs, now only sitting on one as she thinks over his question.

How best to answer? It was hard to explain and she sucked at trying to explain things.

Frowning, “It’s hard to really explain. But when I, I guess, reawakened, it changed something in me. Everything changed, from how I view things and how I want to live. It’s like, a fire ignited within me, one I never had before.” Her eyes were studying the mug, “And when I sat down and tried to figure everything out, I realized that what the Ladder believes, didn’t feel like it fits anymore. I don't feel the connection to them that I used to have. The desire that once pulled me to them, is...gone.” her voice soft, there was a pause as her eyes got a far away look in them. "I also don't feel they can answer my questions, give me guidance, help me." It was hard to explain. “For example,” eyes refocus to met his, “Sleepers. I used to rally for them having the right to Awaken, that they need our direction to reach that state. Now? It just feels like if they had been strong enough to Awaken and have their eyes opened, it would have happened. And if they have no issues with believing and being fed a lie, why should I do them any favors?” saying the words out loud made them real now. She had never said them out loud. “And while I still believe in the Lex, who am I to judge? I mean, we’re all adults right? Can’t we own up and take responsibility for our own actions? Don’t get me wrong, the Laws need to be followed and are in place for a reason, but seriously, we’re adults.” Yup. “But what it boils down to? I’m not a leader, never have been, never will be. A Thearch leads, and I don’t think I can do that.” Those words softer, more pained. “Plus the games. It’s no secret that the Ladder plays games, mind games, and I hate that.” Mind games, games played for sick enjoyment, not her thing.

She then seems to shrink in her chair as she listened, really hearing every word, her attention not faltering. And there was a lot of words.

But they made sense. A different sense then when they had talked months ago. An elbow was brought onto the table as she rests her chin on her hand. It wasn’t a look of being bored, but of someone seriously considering what was being said.

“That makes sense.” She says, “A price being paid for the knowledge you gather. If the exchange has to be balanced, then it’s safe to say that the more you desire, the steeper and most costly it will be.” She wasn’t looking for clarification necessarily, but trying to take what was said and put into terms she could understand. She wasn’t stupid, but her brain just worked differently. “And finding the balance is a delicate task. What are you willing to give in order to receive.” It was an interesting situation. One that would need lots of thought and not a rushed one.

An eyebrow quirks, “Tests? Are they self-placed tests, or ones the Order has already put into place?” seemed like a reasonable question to her.

Then a nod, yes, it was too valuable to waste. Then a frown, “I remember. I was actually with them when the radio was retrieved. And I have to admit, and I wish I had really thought about it at the time, but I was curious about the radio. What could it have done, why did we have to take it from the museum? Why did the Seer’s want it?” she trusted Star and his judgement, he did what he felt was best. No fault there. But the questions still remained. “There was some weird stuff in that place.” And she wondered if they were still there and could be useful.

Another thoughtful look, “I never really thought of that. That they were fragments of the Supernal. It makes sense when you put it like that.” A slow nod as her mind continues to work.

“If this is a dumb question, I apologize in advance.” She says with a sheepish smile, “But is that like giving more power to the Lie itself? To deny the Supernal, does it tie into the Lie that is all around us?” she hoped it wasn’t a stupid question and he was going to look at her like an idiot. She wasn’t sure she could handle that right now.

His next words make her eyes seem to sparkle, she leans forward, “Gather the fragments, like going on a hunt of sorts?” she wasn’t sure why, but she had a new found desire to hunt and gather. Something at that Tower that night sparked something within her. “So go into places like the museum was, and take back the items from the Seer’s.” she could totally get behind that. It was exciting, invigorating, and the thought of doing that again made her heart begin to race. “Does the Mysterium have places where such items, once gathered, are kept safe? I’m not asking for secret locations or anything.” She says with a light laugh, “Just a very curious and intrigued.”

A quick nod, “Of course. Icebergs always tease you with just a small portion of what they really are.”

8. Likes Yumyumcrow liked this post
    Campanella
    Allies (City Hall)
    Allies (Criminal)
    Allies (Culture)
    Allies (Finance)
    Occult Skill
    Campanella
    Campanella
    Campanella's Scenes
    Stats

Clock

Health:
    Mana:
    WP:
    Armor 0
    Defense 2

Vulgar +1

Tangled Threads

Health:
    Mana:
    WP:
    Armor 4
    Defense 2

Vulgar +1

PRE

Campanella leaned back, hands clasped in a steeple before him.

"Fascinating..."

His voice trailed off.

"I did not know that much about the Ladder. Leadership, yes. Their - should I say you're? - devotion to the Sleepers is... quaint. No, that is not the right word. Encouraging. We do need to keep an eye on them... But I agree, they all have the potential to Awaken... It is a seed and we all know that sometimes seed does not find fertile ground. Protect, when we can, yes. Otherwise the Veil and the mystery must be preserved. Awakening is not a right, but a privilege - as you well know."

He shifted his posture, a frown creasing his face.

"If you hope to escape politics I might advise you against the Mysterium. We still have politics. Perhaps not to the degree of the Ladder but it is definitely there, as one goes deeper into the Mystery. From my own experience, however, I have had little contact with that world... That political world, that is. I travelled a lot, so I never settled down into the structure of the Order..."

He shrugged.

"And, from a local perspective. The Order that currently exists in this city is... me. That I know of. And relations with the branch in the Golden Consilium are distant at best. One gather's they view me as something of an outcast or fringe dweller, such that it is."

He sighed, leaned forward.

"Tests? Tests, if you can call them that, are mixed. They depend on the mentor and the Order in the area. I would argue that... experiences... or maybe trials... is a more appropriate analogy. Experiences in a more... Shamanic vein... of the term, if you get me."

He ran into quiet, stared at the Shaman.

"Oh its more than simply giving power to the Lie. Its closing off the Fallen World from the Supernal Realms above and strengthening the power of the Abyss. Without the seeds of the Supernal in the Fallen Realm, this world will surely wither and die. At least... that is the theory."

He might be bending his Oaths on this point, but he felt it was worth it. Aurora had earned that much from him.

"And yes, we do. Have secret vaults were such fragments of the Supernal that we find are stored. And protected. And researched. Its kind, as you say, a Thing."

He spread his hands.

Aurora
    Spells
    Striking Looks
    (Riveting)
    Presence
    (Confident)
    Fame
    (Entertainment)
    Madison Cross
    (Sleeper ID)
    Gnosis
    Aurora
    Aurora

Dedicated Magical Tool

Nimbus

Monthly Spells

(PrP Treasure Hunt)

[Detect Substance]Bone
    Vulgar:

FAME
    +1
    SL
    PRE

Fascinating? Not a word she would have used, but maybe to someone else it was.

Nodding, “I’m going to be frank with you, I feel like, looking back on my years with the Ladder, that I was lying to myself. They took me in when I was confused and learning about this amazing gift we have. No one else really seemed to want to take the time with me. I had questions and wanted to feel like part of something. Granted, I’m better at being alone and pushing those around me away then anything else.” A soft laugh, “And they didn’t let me. So maybe, maybe I just accepted what they told me without really looking inside me. A fault on me for sure, but I have to wonder you know?” he might not know, he seemed to have it all together.

While he frowned, she half smiled, “I have no hopes or dreams of escaping politics. It’s part of life, not something easily avoided. Sure, I haven’t had to deal with them a whole lot, because like you, I spent a good portion of my life on the road. Moving from city to city, following whatever Ren Faire was providing the most money. But the Ladder is more than just politics, it’s games, head games. Played among its members, and you know what? It’s not me.” A gentle shake of her head.

“Maybe, maybe when I first joined the Ladder it was. I don’t know. But I do know that right now it’s not something I want. And if I wanted to avoid politics I wouldn’t have spent the time and energy to pass the Exam and be within inches of being a Factotum, a position I wanted for many years.” It was true, she was so close to having that title. That precious title she had chased for years. Sighing, “Maybe I’m not explaining whats going on in here,” a hand raises and taps her head, “words have never been my strong suit.” A small smirk. “But I do know one thing for sure, the Ladder doesn’t feel right anymore.” She wasn’t working this right, and it was frustrating.

An absent nod, “You know what?” a shake of her head as she continued, “I never understood the whole thing with the Golden Consilium. Granted I never asked anyone, or reached out to the Ladder there, but I don’t know. Maybe it’s egos and pride.” Both annoying.

A chuckle, “An outcast huh? Aren’t all the best people outcasts?” but her mood shifted, and a softer smile formed as she looked him in the eyes, seeming to study him for a moment, “You’re not an outcast though. And if that’s indeed how they view you, then that’s an error and misjudgment on them.” Her eyes quickly look down once again, as her cheeks felt warm, back to studying the by probably cold drink.

A nod then, “Experiences or trails sounds a lot better then a test. What better way to really learn not only about yourself, but if an Order is for you then to have trails and experiences. I’ve found experience to be the best teacher. A Shamanic vein? Interesting. Not a word you hear very often, a beautiful word though. But I think I get what you’re saying.” She had to wonder what an experience like that would show her.

His next words were considered, the look on her face giving away that she was deep in thought. Finally, she seems to refocus, “That,” she begins, “that would be a horrible world. Ever sense I gained the ability to use Life, and see the world around me, really see it, it has been such an eye-opening experience. I never knew how beautiful and vibrant everything was. The very beat of Life within everything around us, breathtaking. There is magic everywhere! And if as you say, the seeds of the Supernal Fallen Realm were gone, then I believe the very heart beat and pulse of this world, would cease to be. What a cold and cruel world that would be.” If that magic was gone, what a cold place this would be.

“I cannot even begin to fathom how intriguing a place like that must be. All the things you could learn, the secrets you could unlock,” her head gently shakes in wonder, “just amazing.” She had always had a desire to learn.

She shifts again, “If this isn’t too personal, and please, tell me if it is, what drew you to the Mysterium?”

11. Likes Yumyumcrow liked this post
    Campanella
    Allies (City Hall)
    Allies (Criminal)
    Allies (Culture)
    Allies (Finance)
    Occult Skill
    Campanella
    Campanella
    Campanella's Scenes
    Stats

Clock

Health:
    Mana:
    WP:
    Armor 0
    Defense 2

Vulgar +1

Tangled Threads

Health:
    Mana:
    WP:
    Armor 4
    Defense 2

Vulgar +1

PRE

Campanella frowned as Aurora spoke.

"That does not sound good. An Order should nurture you, not force you into a straight jacket to fit some supposed template. We are not machines. We are human beings with souls. And souls should be nurtured - as one encourages a tree to grow. Even the Sleeper masters of the Bonsai know this. If what you say is true - and I have no reason to doubt you - then the Silver Ladder sounds like an elite club lost in meaningless ritual. That is... A shame."

Note, the Moros spoke of meaningless ritual. As far as he was concerned, the rituals of the Mysterium were never meaningless.

A twinkle lit up his eye.

"The Golden Consilium once laid claim to Sacramento under its Lex. Then they lost it - I'm sure that loss still hurts, even as our various ructions and tribulations make salacious gossip for them to talk over. I can't see us ever going back. From my dealings with them I can see that their Consilium has evolved some very unique and peculiar attitudes due to their local conditions. Conditions we lack and to which I cannot see us, even now, accepting."

He shrugged, then smiled.

"Knowledge is Power. Power has a price. How can one obtain power without paying a price for it? How can one wield Power without being ready for the responsibility. I think you grasp where we come from..."

"Oh yes. A fully operation Athenaeum is a wonder to behold. Unfortunately we lost ours during that cursed contest for reality. I have laid a foundation for a new one but right now, it stands empty."

His lips curled down bitterly.

"Why the Mysterium? They found me."

He shifted in his seat.

"It wasn't a normal recruitment. The Consilium in D.C. had collapsed. I was taken in before the Seer's could get to me, given enough to send me back out in a bid to draw the Seer's into the open. It was... messy. I ran when I realised I was the weak link. I did not wish to compromise my Order with my own failings."

13. Likes Orianna liked this post
    Aurora
    Spells
    Striking Looks
    (Riveting)
    Presence
    (Confident)
    Fame
    (Entertainment)
    Madison Cross
    (Sleeper ID)
    Gnosis
    Aurora
    Aurora

Dedicated Magical Tool

Nimbus

Monthly Spells

(PrP Treasure Hunt)

[Detect Substance]Bone
    Vulgar:

FAME
    +1
    SL
    PRE

A light shrug as she unfolded her legs and stood, moving to refill her mug. She offered to refill his, and then will sit back down.

“I don’t think all the Ladder is like that. I’d hate to group every member in that light, it’s not fair. I’ve met some very kind ones in my travels, but every Order has those it’s not proud of.” It would be like grouping all Enchantresses as air heads. “But I agree, an Order should help you grow as not only a person, but a Mage as well. Maybe that’s why I never really settled and pursued my place among their ranks, somehow I knew it wasn’t right.” A light laugh, “I might not be an Acanthus anymore, but seems I still believe a few things with Fate.” Was it in the stars all along for her lose her way?

She wasn’t sure the last time she saw a twinkle in his eyes, it was kind of attractive. To see him seem to come alive and speak with such passion. And she found herself lost there for a minute, mind wandering briefly.

But she focus once again, “I’d like to examine that Lex, see what cause such a belief. The Lex is such a vast set of rules and laws, but I’ve never come across one that lets another Consilium lay claim to another. Not that I’m an expert in the Lex, but I have passed the exam and could be a magical lawyer.” Laughing, “That’s what I call it, a Factotum. Sounds better to me I guess.” It did to her. Blue eyes widen in mock shock, “Salacious gossip you say? That makes us all the more interesting.” She says playfully.

“But seriously, if they had wanted to smooth things over, or reestablish lines of communications, now would be the time. I’m sure it is no secret what’s happened here, and for them and others to turn away, well, that speaks volumes to me. The lack of aide of any kind tells me who they are, and I don’t want to be part of that.” To turn your back on a Consilium in need was low.

Nodding, “It makes perfect sense to me. Everything in life has a price, from knowledge to hopes and dreams. And with great knowledge and power comes responsibility. Such power needs to be handled correctly and not abused. Too much power in the wrong hands and that person forgets who they are and what we are here for. What we protect and preserve. A dangerous and delicate rope to walk.” She wasn’t an idiot. She knew that Mages with loads of power can easily lose their way and endanger the rest of them. “So how does one keep such things in check? We all know Mages who have lost their ways, their hubris taking over. The sheer power taking control of any common sense.” She’d seen a few in her time, it was a sad thing to see.

There was then a frown and a look of, sadness? “That’s too bad. I hope you didn’t lose too much and that whatever was lost can be obtained again.” And she meant that. “But I also know some things can never be replaced.” Things passed from Awakened to Awakened.

Shock took over her face, “They, they used you as bait?” how could an Order do that to someone? “Please don’t tell me that was your test? Cause if so, that’s horrible.” At that moment she had an urge to reach out and squeeze his hand. But she didn’t, it was quite an internal struggle, wanting to reach out to someone but not know if it was ok or not. And if she did, and he pulled away, could she handle that? Not knowing, and being too scared to find out, she wraps her hands around her mug. “And even after that, you choose to remain with the Mysterium?” there was no judgement in her voice, she was just curious.

Then a shy smile as she looked up from her mug, “I have a hard time picturing you as the weak link.”

Campanella
    Allies (City Hall)
    Allies (Criminal)
    Allies (Culture)
    Allies (Finance)
    Occult Skill
    Campanella
    Campanella
    Campanella's Scenes
    Stats

Clock

Health:
    Mana:
    WP:
    Armor 0
    Defense 2

Vulgar +1

Tangled Threads

Health:
    Mana:
    WP:
    Armor 4
    Defense 2

Vulgar +1

PRE

"Hmm. As far as I'm aware, Sacramento once fell under the Golden Consilium because it was fringe zone without rules. By all accounts, it remained a wild zone when the Consilum of Sacrament seceded all those years ago. Now... If you've been keeping up with the revised history, it was that Arthur and others who were behind that. They built the Circle. They built the clock. Allegedly."

He was leaning forward again.

"You'd want their help? It would come with a price. I don't know how the ripples of the Seer's plot have manifested beyond Sacramento, but I'm certain they would not recognise us as a Consilum now. We have one Cabal. Ours. There is no Consilium. Its gone. There is us... and an empty Sanctuary. That is what they would think, I am sure. So it wouldn't be them doing the smoothing over."

His mouth wrinkled in distaste. He returned to other topics.

"The mentor-student bond is the key. The mentor keeps tabs on their students, thus stopping one or more students from veering too far down forbidden or dangerous paths. Later, peer pressure is supposed to keep us in check - from our peers in our Cabals to our peers in our Orders. Why else are Solitaries and Apostates so feared - because they are outside the system of checks and balances the Pentacle has created."

His hands were starting to move, now, gesturing.

"And of course, we both know that all human systems are fallible. Sometimes, things will simply happen."

He chuckled a little.

"Oh I would not say I was... bait. Footsoldier. Spy. Field asset. Never bait. The Order was in disarray. The Pentacle broken. It was a situation where each Order was using whatever it had at its disposal. That included whatever new recruits they could find... I am philosophical about it."

Now it was his turn to be reflect and pause.

"Why would I be anything else. I don't see myself as a warrior and I don't share the Ladder enthusiasm for Sleepers. My time in D.C. meant that I'll never see myself as a spy. Their world... phew. No. And I find the Free Council's mad rush to embrace technology as detrimental to the Art and a sign of great hubris: rejecting and conflating the Supernal with the Fallen. It just won't do."

16. Likes Orianna liked this post
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
Closed Thread