Ended
Watch

Two Sides, One Coin

THREADID
DISPLAYED
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last
    A
    Alexander Brown

One of the perks of flexible working hours was the possibility to leave a little early from time to time. So that's what Alexander did, enticed by the green leaves and golden rays of the sun outside. He'd never admit it, especially not to the mundane crowd around here, but his reason for leaving actually had little to do with the approaching Summer. In fact, it was quite strongly connected with Winter, or one facet of the Season.

Ever since that evening at the Blue Note there was a face painted in frost at the back of his mind. Her face.

Was he captivated by the kindness in her violet eyes? Enticed by the mystery lingering beneath? He didn't know, but he had to know soon, and today he was going
    to take a step in that direction (he hoped). But it mustn't look like an interrogation or an attempt to sate shallow curiosity. So it's best to pick a friendly, yet meaningful place and veil the conversation in an official business, at least at first.

On the previous day, he sent a text to the number given to him:

Up for a talk? I'll be at The Glacier tomorrow afternoon. If you have time, there are some things that I'd like to discuss. Or just chill. Your call, my treat.

The Glacier is a small, homely gelateria just across the street from Sutter's Fort. Right now it's half full, with people of all ages coming and going. Alexander sits by one of the outside tables. With a tall glass of ordered orange juice he observes the busy street and the historical landmark and waits, wondering if Sasha will show up.
    Last edited by West; May 24th, 2017 at 05:30 AM.

S
    Sasha

Sounds wonderful. I can be there.

Her text was sent less than an hour after the Summer had sent it. Now the Fairest wondered what he wanted to discuss. Sasha didn't like huge surprises, she's had enough of them over her last few years. But, hopefully it wasn't what she thought.

The next day, she'd headed to The Glacier, a half smirk as it was pretty fitting considering her Court. Dressing casual, but not frumpy, she had mint jeans and a flowing white lace blouse on. The breeze took it here and there as she walked up the block to see Alexander sitting outside. The glass on the table was interesting, the Dancer wouldn't expect juice to be served there, but perhaps they did smoothies.

The tall blonde walked up to where the Mirrorskin sat and softly pulled a lock of hair back behind her ear. "Heya." She grinned sweetly. "You know, I've never been here before." It didn't suggest she couldn't find the place, but it was a unique location. "Have you been waiting long?" Sasha didn't sit down quite yet, he may have wanted to move someplace else and had been keeping watch.

A
    Alexander Brown

"Hi." His welcome is warm, just like the breeze that is his Seasonal mantle. The casually dressed Dancer puts his mind at ease. he was worried his text was too formal, and what will happen today is not planned to be a cabinet meeting, rather a friendly exchange of ideas and opinions with the icing of a good time on top. He takes the smallest of sips from his glass.

"No, I got here quite recently, too. Please, have a sit." The weather was nice enough to sit outside, and besides if anyone wanted to eavesdrop on their conversation, he'd have a better chance of doing this inside, in the silence of the tables at the back. Here, the buzz of traffic and many more mouths speaking were like a veil to them, obscuring and comforting.

"To tell you the truth." Alexander inhaled deeply. "I was here only once before, and by chance, it was a meeting, too. The name struck me as rather... significant, considering our respective clubs, and besides." There is a look at their surroundings, at the imposing, old walls nearby and the star-spangled banner blowing in the breeze. "I considered the structure over there to be a fitting metaphor of where we are now, as members of the community. See, this is how Sacramento started. A humble structure in the middle of nothing, over the years growing into the vibrant city we know. The owner of this land, John Sutter, was known for his hospitality and readiness to help those in need. I thought it'd be an important thing to keep in mind, especially given the influx of members."

Look at him, Alexander Brown the history buff. Oh, to be in fourth grade again!

"There's also the practical reason. I'd invite you to dinner, but I didn't know what you like, and souring such blooming friendship over food would be just terrible." It didn't mean he thought of Sasha as spoiled, willing to carp over such unimportant things. The sentence was an expression of carefulness paired with a little addition of warming up (no pun intended) the meeting.

"But." Yeah, right, on to business. "I was thinking, with the recent... personal rearrangements our clubs have underwent" Can I possibly be less direct? "It'd be good to make things more... formal, than they are now. As you know, I wasn't here that long and don't know if it was tried at any point. For instance, now that we've established a single leader for all our members and even taken further steps to unify things, perhaps some kind of written document, a contract if you will, detailing the rights and obligations of our members, would be in order? Hopefully, our ranks will still grow, and even as it is, if the people are expected to observe the rulings of a club not their own, some kind of cornerstone would help."

"Still, experience tells me some people flocking to communities like our own take such formality poorly. So, I wanted your personal opinion if the matter is worth pursuing and presenting to the Director."

He is waiting for the violet-eyed Fairest to speak. Best case scenario, she'll take this as a sign of commitment. Worst case scenario, as a sign of being a power-hungry sociopath.
    So, which is it going to be?

S
    Sasha

It was encouraging to know she wasn't late. The Fairest hated being late no matter what it was. To hear Alexander mention that he'd also only been there once previously was a relief. It was strange that the city wasn't that large, but still she hadn't seen everything there was to experience yet.

"Yes, that is a great metaphor. I've only read obscure things about him. I think that is something to remind people about the more time goes on. It’s silly that the tables turn once you’ve been around for a few months from wanting to be trusted and accepted, to not taking someone for face value.” Something she too was guilty of from time to time, but it was all about first impressions for her.

The next thing the Summer said really took her by surprise. Had he wanted to go on an actual date, but took a more calculated risk with a cool confection. “Oh, well, thank you for taking that into consideration. I can adapt to any menu. Although, I am less of a fan of Mexican food than anything else.” She smirked with a little chuckle.

Then it turned again. From a sort of talk that was considered more formal? Or was he talking about another type of formal. Sasha’s eyes were clearly confused at what he truly wanted. “A formal contract.” She said pondering aloud, a conclusion that Alexander didn't intend to be confusing and she figured out the direction he was taking. “I think that would be a good idea, especially for those who need to have something of that nature. I don’t think it should be a requirement. But, I think you, myself and Mhairi should actually discuss this together.” The Dancer remembered some of the arguing that ensued, and worse, the over the top fighting their old Oath had caused. It was unnecessary, yet, some didn’t see its real purpose. “My personal opinion is to have it available as an option. Sometimes trust is hard for some.” Her eyes looked right into the Darkling; she’d put more trust in him in little time than she’d done for others. She still couldn’t explain it.

The Fairest wondered though, he’d seemed to talk about something, but quickly changed subjects. She just wanted to be more direct, it would have to wait. She smiled sweetly, awaiting his thoughts on business.

A
    Alexander Brown

If there was one thing Sasha was great at doing, it was putting other people's minds at peace. Something told him with certainty that he could produce the most ill-fitting metaphor, the most overt faux-pas and she still would find it in herself to assure him that it was at least decent. Whether it was a by-product of any past events, or simply the way she was, he didn't know.

And frankly, he didn't care much. A hallmark of the greatest of manipluators: for the victim to know they're such, and enjoy every moment of it, just as Alexander was now enjoying.
    It only dawned on him a some time later that she was just trying to be nice.

"Silly? Perhaps, but it's silliness I can relate to. Most people, when they show at the doorstep of a club like ours, they're like wet kittens. Impoverished and scared, still coming out of the woods, so to speak. A hand-to-mouth lifestyle? That'd be an improvement for most of them. Having nothing to offer, they rely solely on the club members' good will. This only makes the connection stronger, and when the kitten grows into a cat, it protects its benefactors all the more fiercely. They don't trust the newcomers, never once realizing their own hypocrisy. We've all been there, yours truly included." His tone was surprisingly serious, as he considered his own shortcomings in the trust department.

"Still, it doesn't mean we don't need to be cautious. Many would like to see our clubhouse burn, as evidenced by past events. The lack of implicit trust is something I tend to be guilty of, towards some members more than the others." Was he paranoid? Maybe. Was he absolutely certain he had a good reason to be? Certainly. The expression on his face is innocuous, but the eyes flicker, as the mental image of the person(s) he has in mind pass through, like frames in a movie.

Then the topic of conversation trails briefly towards food preferences, and there's nothing to do but acknowledge what Sasha'd said.

"Noted. No tacos, then." A smirk is mirrored. "Does this eclecticism also apply to music tastes? I'd say the Blue Note is a pretty strong indication, just want to be sure..." When we go out? If? Oh God, have mercy! "In case the place where we meet next has music."

On to the headliner, then. The Constitution of the Freehold. On one hand, he was happy that the Queen of Winter didn't strike the nascent idea down. On the other, however, she ducked the implicit question on any possible precedent. She was the last person in this club he'd consider inattentive, so thic could only mean a conscious choice and, further, that there probably was something like that before and it ended in a fruitless argument. No point in worrying, though. He was sure the two Queens that made up the rest of the Hierarchy were reasonable.

"That's all I'm asking. Some talk, and if you're both willing to give royal assent, then it's a go."

S
    Sasha

It was a wonderful trip down memory lane. When the Fairest was new; it touched her to think of these things again. "If it weren't for a few people from your side of the Club, I wouldn't have stayed around here." It was true that there were three Summers and one Autumn that gave her the footholds to grow roots in the Freehold. She wondered what they'd think of her now that she was Winter's Queen.

The mention of burning caused the Winter to suddenly shift in the temperature around her. The moment she realized she did, her violets flickered up to Alexander's own eyes. Sasha was aware he didn't realize the impact the damn dragon had on anyone, she was the only one left who knew the depths of damage it truly caused. "You're absolutely right." She said several moments after. "A way of trust needs to be established in some capacity."

Nodding as she agreed. "Yes, of course. I am completely for it. But, I will mention a few things in further detail about that business deal when we're all together, and alone."

She blushed slightly, thankful her aura didn't kick in yet. "I really like a wide range of music. I can't say there's any genre I don't like. There are songs I don't care for, but, I have danced to nearly everything. And in order to dance to a lot of music, you have to take it all in; truly listen so it slips in to give it meaning and apply it to dancing. Or, just appreciate it for what it's worth." Not everything needed to be about dancing; but sadly her mind always drifted that way.

"But, I don't always dance when the music is on. Sometimes I sit and listen." And dance in my head. "Sometimes I go for walks or running." Neither of which she'd done in the longest of times and the Fairest wasn't entirely sure why she'd brought them up. "I'm quite adaptable for anything." There was the full on blush that she didn't anticipate, but there was no stopping it.

Oh that was a truly stupid thing to say.

A
    Alexander Brown

What Alexander'd said seemed to trigger some memories of the Dancer sitting in front of him. She's made a comment related to it, and the Mirrorskin is just about to ask a little more about it, but then something sudden, yet in a way totally forseeable happens. At the mention of the destroyed hotel the regal mantle of the Winter Queen comes to life, dropping the temperature and bursting a million tiny, icy needles. If not for Alexander's own aura of Summer, the sensation would most certainly be painful. The effect subsides as quickly as it'd appeared, but a lesson is learned.

The lesson is: don't mention an event so traumatic and significant like it's a footnote in a history textbook, you dimwit.

"Really? How's that?" A genuine interest cannot be overcome by a little cold, and he was curious as to how the Summers of the past managed to change the mind of a now-Queen about skipping town. "It must've been a long way for you to become president in your chapter of the club. You mind sharing that story?"

He listens as the Fairest explains the relation between music and dancing. It's always refreshing to listen to a person opening up about their favorite activity, even if - especially if - it wasn't his cup of tea. For a second, he wondered what he'd say if directly asked about it. Would he go on and on about the joys of spying on people through keyholes and creating relationship maps on cork boards?
    Damn, he needed a hobby.

Then, the train of his thoughts went off the rails as he noticed the unmasked blush. Now you gotta play this smart, Alex.

"Adaptable? Do you mean just music or is it a more general statement? The other day you mentioned travelling to Europe and back, I imagine adaptability is the kind of thing you pick up between trips this big."

S
    Sasha

"Well, people in my Chapter were sort of..." The Fairest didn't want to slam them, but most Winter's were prone to certain mannerisms. "Anti-social? Or maybe just more quiet than others. Your Chapter had a few people who were very welcoming and helpful. I often went to the Forge back then to hear bands or watch events." The fond memories let her chill dissipate from what it was before. "Don't get me wrong, my Chapter did its best to welcome me and include me when they could. It was just a little difficult adapting to this place. There was the Chapter that follows your's too, Terri and Rick were really amazing all the way until the two of them left." She smiled warmly, her violet eyes sparkled as she recounted vaguely. There wasn't much more to tell out in public.

Chuckling lightly, Sasha playfully shrugged. "Well, more of a general statement to be honest." Maybe her subtle hinting was getting lost in translation. "Yes, that's part of why I easily adapt to places or why it's a general statement. Being too picky I probably would have starved in some countries. I do like to try new things."

"How about you? Do you have any dislikes as far as food? I know you mentioned you liked quieter places the other day."

A
    Alexander Brown

Anti-social? Yes, Winter is often that way. In fact, it is almost always that way. Obviously, one exception to this rule is sitting right before him, but exceptions don't make it any less true.

"The, uh... the Forge? Can't say I've heard of the place" Granted, he wasn't an expert when it comes to entertainment scene - maybe it was some kind of underground thing? "What was it about?"

There were also names mentioned. He could, he wanted to ask about them, but then again, Sasha would probably have to hide behind so much clubspeak to turn this into a frustrating chore. Besides, if the Fairest's face was any indication, they were both gone for years, and likely any trace they left was long gone, too.

"Dislikes? Not really, I think I can enjoy anything so long as it's skillfully prepared, or at least interesting. But spicy food, especially Asian, is like a catnip to me - the farther up the Scoville scale, the better. You a cook?" His treacherous mind formulates an image of Sasha dressed in an apron and with a ladle in her hand. It takes a lot of willpower not to laugh.

Laughing, though, is for another time. Right now it is a time to make plans, shape destinies, mold the world to your taste. He wonders what Sasha's taste is.

"So, Sasha, what are you up to these days? You are at the very top of of the club, you have the Blue Note... what's next for you?"

S
    Sasha

"It was a bar, club, not sure what you would call it. Your Chapter had a lot of metal concerts there along with metal working. Sometimes there were tournament fights, very entertaining. I went to those events to mingle with people, even if I didn't care for what was going on." A soft smile, hoping to convey she her partaking wasn't really forced, but for her to step outside her own Court now and again.

She admired his taste in food, even if it was very exact. The way he worded it made her hungry. "That sounds fantastic. I haven't experienced much heat, but I'd give it a whirl." Her lips pursed, wondering if her own mind was betraying her in euphemisms. "As far as cooking, I do cook light meals. Mostly salads or things on the go. I'm rather good at following a recipe." Which was more than some could say. But she'd never be as good as Mrs. Rosemary.

"Finding someone to make time for."

Sasha's eyes widened. Before the Fairest realized it, she'd said what she was thinking. Too soon, he doesn't seem interested in you, just business. She had to think of something quick, but by the time she moved to answer his question with something else, it was probably too late.

"Well there are reasons I took over the Maze. I will be fine tuning some skills and hopefully soon." Her brows rose slightly, wondering if he would understand what she was implying.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last
Closed Thread

Members who have read this thread : 10

You do not have permission to view the list of names.