Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Ended
Watch

Making Time and Space

THREADID
DISPLAYED
Nov 22, 2022 : Text to Belle
This is for adding a Search Category to the thread.

Note:
This is NOT a Notification for another member.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last
    Rose Among Thorns
    Matriarch
    Presence
    (Friendly)
    Direction Sense
    (I Know The Way)
    Danger Sense
    (Spidey Adjacent)
    Occultation
    (Blinded by Thorns)
    Belle

Nimbus: Cracks in space appear just over her skin, shaped like toothy, hellish maws. If she's extra and especially angry, those maws will speak.
    PRP Stats

2/5 Personal Spells
    *Incognito Presence (1 suxx)
    1/3 Vulgar Spells
    Health
    Mana: 9/9
    WP: 2/3

Equipment: Knife, Minivan, Shoulder Bag (magnifying glass, flashlight, plastic gloves), Smartphone, Wallet ($50), Artifact (see minisheet)
    Combat Stats

Defense: 2 (Wits/Dex)
    Initiative: 4
    Speed: 9

OCC
    PRE

Belle's apartment has undergone quite the makeover in preparation for her guest.

For one thing, the living room has been cleared out to make as much space as possible. Couches and tables have been moved to the side or out of the room entirely, and curtains have been closed over the windows to ensure maximum privacy. Though perhaps the most notable absence is the small aviary left to her from the apartment's previous keeper, Kaze. There's neither feather nor birdsong to be found in the living room, though there is the subtle taint of aerosol spray likely meant to erase the smell of bird poop.

Beyond the living room, Belle's bedroom has been cleared to allow for comfortable seating with a lounge chair in one corner and a small nightstand in case someone in the chair wanted to set a drink or a book to the side. Speaking of, the tell-tale whistle of a kettle on the stove whisks Belle away from the bedroom and into the kitchen as she prepares some hot tea for her guest.
    Phoenyx

2. Likes liked this post
    Presence (Focused)
    Trained Observer
    Dexterity (Lithe)
    Phoenyx
    Spells and Gear

Monthly rits (cloaked):
    Supernal Vision (Pot 6)
    2E Life Shield (Pot 5)

Gear: Smartphone, Pistol (Beretta M92, +2 lethal), pair of daggers, tonfa, Reinforced Leather trenchcoat (1/0), motorcycle (street bike)
    Phoenyx

Nimbus: a pair of fiery scarlet wings unfurl her with an eagle's screech.
    Plot Stats

Def - 6 (4 Dex+Life/2)
    Armour - 3/2 (Life/2, Trenchcoat)
    Health: Matriarch - 1B/7
    Willpower 3/3
    Vulgars Cast: 0
    Personal Spells 2/3
    [6] Supernal Vision (Monthly Ritual)
    [5$] 2E Life Shield (Monthly Ritual)
    Active spells: 3/7
    [3$] Complex Transmission

Gear: Smartphone, Pistol (Beretta M92, +2 lethal), 2 spare clips, pair of daggers (one is magical focus), Reinforced Leather trenchcoat (1/0), Purse ($57, gun permit, driving license)
    Phoenyx Scenes

PRE

The Arrow had never been to Belle's apartment, so she was curious what it was going to be like. She knew it didn't matter, not really, but she could count on one hand the number of sanctums of Magi she had visited.

She was wearing her usual loose training clothes - this time, red top and black pants. The long coat covered her knives - she felt having a magical tool would be useful today. Her bike was parked on the street, so she had a helmet in one hand and her driving gloves on.

The Arrow knocked on the door. When it was opened she greeted Belel with a smile. "Good morning. I hope I am not too early?"
    Obrimos Adamantine Arrow, Cloaked Monthly Rits (in minisheet)

4. Likes liked this post
    Rose Among Thorns
    Matriarch
    Presence
    (Friendly)
    Direction Sense
    (I Know The Way)
    Danger Sense
    (Spidey Adjacent)
    Occultation
    (Blinded by Thorns)
    Belle

Nimbus: Cracks in space appear just over her skin, shaped like toothy, hellish maws. If she's extra and especially angry, those maws will speak.
    PRP Stats

2/5 Personal Spells
    1/3 Vulgar Spells
    Health

Equipment: Knife, Minivan, Shoulder Bag (magnifying glass, flashlight, plastic gloves), Smartphone, Wallet ($50), Artifact (see minisheet)
    Combat Stats

OCC
    PRE

"One sec!"

There's sounds of activity from behind the door just before Belle opens it. Perhaps it was a fluffing of hair? Or a last minute check to make sure she looks presentable to her guest. At any rate, she's dressed lightly in blue sweatpants and a tight-fitting blue-grey exercise shirt meant for warmer climates, so there's a brief shiver as the door opens.
    "Hi! Thanks for agreeing to come over. Come on in!" Her excitement is palpable as she shepherds Phoenyx inside. "I can take your coat if you like...unless you'd prefer to hang it up yourself." She's caught between wanting to be a good hostess and not wanting to be overbearing. "Either way, coat closet's over there."

She gestures out to the living room. "Welcome to Casa Del Belle! Newly renovated for maximum secret funtimes. I've got tea brewing in the kitchen if you'd like some. I couldn't remember which one you liked, so I got a sampler platter." She hopes her efforts are appreciated. But she knows this isn't purely a social visit. ​"So, did you want to start with combat training or Space training? Up to you."

Presence (Focused)
    Trained Observer
    Dexterity (Lithe)
    Phoenyx
    Spells and Gear

Monthly rits (cloaked):
    Supernal Vision (Pot 6)
    2E Life Shield (Pot 5)

Gear: Smartphone, Pistol (Beretta M92, +2 lethal), pair of daggers, tonfa, Reinforced Leather trenchcoat (1/0), motorcycle (street bike)
    Phoenyx

Plot Stats

Def - 6 (4 Dex+Life/2)
    Willpower 3/3
    Personal Spells 2/3

Gear: Smartphone, Pistol (Beretta M92, +2 lethal), 2 spare clips, pair of daggers (one is magical focus), Reinforced Leather trenchcoat (1/0), Purse ($57, gun permit, driving license)
    Phoenyx Scenes

PRE

"Thank you." Phoenyx steps towards the closet, taking off her coat and settingher helmet down inside. She always preferred to do things herself where possible, guest or not.

"Maximum secret funtimes?" she echoes, laughing a little. "What were you imagining doing? But tea would be good, thank you."

She thinks for a moment. "In that case, I would like to try the Space training, if that is alright with you? I need more help with that - I would benefit from the guidence. The combat traingin we can do whenever."

Rose Among Thorns
    Matriarch
    Presence
    (Friendly)
    Direction Sense
    (I Know The Way)
    Danger Sense
    (Spidey Adjacent)
    Occultation
    (Blinded by Thorns)
    Belle

PRP Stats

2/5 Personal Spells
    1/3 Vulgar Spells
    Health

Combat Stats

OCC
    PRE

Belle's not surprised to see Phoenyx hanging up her coat herself, the Arrow being the self-assured badass that she was. "Oh you know, just spending time sharpening each other. You know, like the old saying: 'iron sharpens iron'." ​Why did she feel like she had to clarify that?

Belle does take the time to pour Phoenyx a cup of tea and hand it to Phoenyx. The kitchen bar sits right at the edge of the living room, providing a nice respite for the hot liquid and its vessel in case either Magi want their hands free. Belle gets herself a cup as well and stands a friendly distance away from her guest. "Of course!"She's excited to get to share some of her hard-earned knowledge with her friend. ​"So, I guess let's start with what are you familiar with so far? I'm currently at a Disciple-level mastery of Space, though I'm working to improve that." She looks equally proud and self-conscious at her declaration of skill. "We can go over some of the basic theory of Space: how it works and how to wrap your head around it. Because it really is the kind of thing that takes all kinds of directional thinking." She smirks at her possibly intentional pun. ​"Or we can try out some of the more practical aspects. I've set up another room for some extra privacy for that."

The bedroom. Good God, Belle hopes Phoenyx doesn't misinterpret that.

8. Likes liked this post
    Presence (Focused)
    Trained Observer
    Dexterity (Lithe)
    Phoenyx
    Spells and Gear

Monthly rits (cloaked):
    Supernal Vision (Pot 6)
    2E Life Shield (Pot 5)

Phoenyx

Plot Stats

Def - 6 (4 Dex+Life/2)
    Willpower 3/3
    Personal Spells 2/3

Phoenyx Scenes

PRE

"You made it sould like you had different ideas," the Arrow replies, then frowns a little. "No? I have never heard that one before."

She takes the tea gratefully and thinks for a moment - she doesn't seem to notice any self-conciousness the Mastigos is experiencing. "I think I have covered enough to call myself an Initiate, though I haven't tried many of them practically." She nods. "I mostly used physics as an understanding to try and see the overlap between Space and Forces... but it wasn't as useful as I had hoped. Is there soemthing more usefuly I should look into before we try it? I always prefered doing magic practically, but it can be a bit unpredictable."

Phoenyx looks across. Everythign seemed pretty spread out. "I thought practcing in this room was why you made the space?" she asks.

10. Likes liked this post
    Rose Among Thorns
    Matriarch
    Presence
    (Friendly)
    Direction Sense
    (I Know The Way)
    Danger Sense
    (Spidey Adjacent)
    Occultation
    (Blinded by Thorns)
    Belle

PRP Stats

2/5 Personal Spells
    1/3 Vulgar Spells
    Health

Combat Stats

OCC
    PRE

"Really? Huh." Belle hesitates a bit out of honest confusion. "It's a Biblical proverb about learning from each other and keeping each other strong. I like it; it's always kept me going whenever learning magic or other Mysterium stuff was tedious or difficult."

Belle nods and taps her chin. "So you have a good basic knowledge of the Arcanum, but not a lot of practical application. Got ya." She looks equally focused and vibrant here, like this is something she's passionate about and really proud of. "Physics is a good starting place, as far as understanding how Space works in real-time. What's helped me is thinking of Space as allowing for displacement of Matter. You're constantly looking to shift, change, or redirect what's in Space. Like looking for objects..." That's something Belle knows as common in the Arcanum. "...try focusing on your intention with an object as opposed to where you think it's going to be. Like 'I want to change the channel on my TV with my remote' as you're looking for it. Let the intention guide the flow of Magic as opposed to just the desire for its own sake."

As for the space.
    ​"Oh! Yeah! Totally. I was just thinking of being careful of exposure." ​The living room did have more windows than the bedroom, but those were well covered with curtains. ​"Trying to cover every angle. Which, oddly enough, is something Space Arcanum lets you do eventually."

12. Likes liked this post
    Presence (Focused)
    Trained Observer
    Dexterity (Lithe)
    Phoenyx
    Spells and Gear

Monthly rits (cloaked):
    Supernal Vision (Pot 6)
    2E Life Shield (Pot 5)

Phoenyx

Plot Stats

Def - 6 (4 Dex+Life/2)
    Willpower 3/3
    Personal Spells 2/3

Phoenyx Scenes

PRE

"I never studied Western religion in any great detail. My parents and teacher were traditionalists so that particular saying has just passed me by. Perhaps it shaped one of the arrow's precepts - Existance is War." She shrugs. It didn't matter particularly, but it was an interesting thought.

Phoenyx listens. It took some time to process that thought - material things were never really a big investment for her, save her weapons. "I don't understand. Is it better I focus on the object, or the intent? Most of my magic works best when focusing the intent. Willing the Lie to reflect what I wish."

There was a small shrug. "I assumed we would close the curtains." She sips her tea. "Does using space become less... disorienting as you learn more? Some of the spells I have tried essentially have me relearning my senses. I had a horrible feeling of vertigo trying to look in all directions."

14. Likes liked this post
    Rose Among Thorns
    Matriarch
    Presence
    (Friendly)
    Direction Sense
    (I Know The Way)
    Danger Sense
    (Spidey Adjacent)
    Occultation
    (Blinded by Thorns)
    Belle

PRP Stats

2/5 Personal Spells
    1/3 Vulgar Spells
    Health

Combat Stats

OCC
    PRE

"That...kind makes sense, for people like the Arrows. Conflict produces strength." The philosophy definitely intrigues Belle. Perhaps another subject of study for a rainy day?

"Definitely focusing on the intent." Belle nods, eager to further expound. ​"The object is just a part of the intent. Same as a place: like Scrying or conjuring a Portal. I focus on the act of seeing or going somewhere. Having a specific destination or location in mind is important; and having a visual aid like a picture helps clarify the intent. But like you said, it's manipulating the Lie to your own ends." She mock shudders a bit. "Wow...that sounds a little dark. No wonder Paradoxes happen, the Lie is just bitter at being jerked around."

Here Belle chuckles. "Over time, yeah it does get easier. I had headaches all the time when I was learning. Dance helped me a lot with it, actually. Both with being physically flexible and being aware of my body in Space. Instead of fighting against physical limitations like having only two eyes or one point of vision, you learn to flow with Space and process information differently. I think it's like some kind of magical anesthesia, but for relieving limitations of Space comprehension as opposed to dulling pain. If that makes sense." Belle thinks it should, for someone as athletic as Phoenyx. "Have you ever tried practicing your Space magic in concert with a physical activity? Like yoga? Obviously not while fighting somebody. That would be too distracting."

Presence (Focused)
    Trained Observer
    Dexterity (Lithe)
    Phoenyx
    Spells and Gear

Monthly rits (cloaked):
    Supernal Vision (Pot 6)
    2E Life Shield (Pot 5)

Phoenyx

Plot Stats

Def - 6 (4 Dex+Life/2)
    Willpower 3/3
    Personal Spells 2/3

Phoenyx Scenes

PRE

There's a small nod. Arrows were formed in crucibles, whether they liked it or not.

Phoenyx shrugs. "All forces have an opposition to overcome. Magic is just another force, where we shape things against what exists within - for want of a better term - Natural Law. What we do is not Natural. What philosophers used to consider Nature, or what the Awakened have considered the Abyss, the Lie or 'reality', resists the changes we can bring about and can oppose so dangerously we have to act Wisely to pass through the Lie as unnoticed as we can. It doesn't have an "emotion", it is just a constant." She sighs. "It would be nice to fly through the air, freely... but that is not meant to be." The Obrimos sips her tea and considers what has been said so far. It lined up with her other magics better to focus on the intent, but knowing the outcome was also important for her.

There's a thoughtful frown. "You make it sound like situational awareness. When fighting, it is important to keep track of all others involved to avoid being taken by surprise - especially if you are not engaged with tem but they might add to your attackers." She shook her head. "Do you think it would help?"

17. Likes liked this post
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last
Closed Thread