Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletinEdge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Ended
Watch

Decision time

THREADID
DISPLAYED
This is for adding a Search Category to the thread.

Note:
This is NOT a Notification for another member.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last
    Jack
    Striking Looks
    (Handsome)
    Presence
    (Credence)
    Mask of Tranquility
    New Identity
    (Alexander Krait)
    Resources
    Jacque
    Behavior

Goes by Jack.

Educated, scholarly, lawyer, scientist.
    Jack's outward demeanor and tone are a baseline of respectful and calculated.

He actively debates, persuades, negotiates and even at time tries to intimidate, as core skills of any lawyer worth his salt.

+1
    SL
    PRE

The Seneschal's office was lightly furnished to match the tastes of the Lord. In what little decoration existed in the room, there was an impression of wealth in the quality of each item. Two low-back velvet chairs trimmed in gold leaf sat before an aged, hand-carved hardwood desk. The desktop had a fresh lacquer finish, though below that possessed the original and unrestored wood. Aside from tidy folders of paperwork the Lord was engaged with, the surface of the desk was clear of items or other decorations save for a brass inkwell and pen. A keen eye might notice that the chair behind the desk was an unremarkable, plain wooden chair. A small shelf was mounted to a side wall, currently occupied by a mere three books. The quality of the bookends securing two of them in place might suggest the Lord held them in high regard. A third lay on its side near the edge of the shelf. The wall behind the desk was empty, save for an antique, ornate mantle clock.

The Lord was working through some files, reading and making notes as each page turned. Glancing at his Rolex, he made sure his cabochon amethyst cufflinks were in proper order on his attire and glanced towards the open door in anticipation of his guest this evening: Helen Kingsley

Blood Hunt:

Helen Kingsley
    Helen Kingsley Scenes

Blush !
     Blush !, 

(Blush !)Vitae 1 Spent
    NOS
    PRE

Helen has used the last days to put a few things in perspective and think about her role in the whole mess and all the possible new messes to come. It also helped reflect a little about things like cult of sacrifice and political expectations. As such, she's come to the conclusion that the place she's headed is pretty likely complicated and not a lot of pretty. But then, what place is, really ? In the end, it all boils down to rule #1, even if her head has brought a few caveats along. She wouldn't be able to cut all strings attached, but then, doesn't mean she has to in the first place, being aware of them strikes her as a good first step.

Still, no matter the conclusion of her thought process, all roads lead to the Seneshals office...

So, as a woman of her word, Helen makes her appearance. She hasn't dressed up for the meeting, after all, nobody knows how necessary that'd be anyway. Dark jeans and a black t-shirt are her concession to the occasion. The door is open, so with a knock and a bow, she enters. Heading towards the business end of the room, she glances over the books on display, before settling on her host for the night.

"Good evening, Sir."

Nosferatu Curse: The vibe that that shadow is not doing as a shadow does as soon as you're not looking directly at it.

Jack
    Striking Looks
    (Handsome)
    Presence
    (Credence)
    Mask of Tranquility
    New Identity
    (Alexander Krait)
    Resources
    Jacque
    Behavior

Goes by Jack.

He actively debates, persuades, negotiates and even at time tries to intimidate, as core skills of any lawyer worth his salt.

+1
    SL
    PRE

"Good evening Ms. Kingsley," Different setting, more formalities.

He motioned to one of the chairs across from his chest, "Please, have a seat." From there, he waited for what she had to say.

The two books within the bookholders are an English Translation of Le Language des Fleurs by Charlotte de la Tour and
    an old, worn book

The book on its side is a copy of the Testament of Longinus

Blood Hunt:

Helen Kingsley
    Helen Kingsley Scenes

Blush !
     Blush !, 

NOS
    PRE

While Helen has not expected to find an issue of Longinus' 'Why I'm so great' in the office, she isn't too surprised that Jack has one. Lanceae tend to give them out like candy given the slightest opportunity after all, so its not too hard to get a hold of it if someone really wanted to. Language of Flowers seems to be some Invictus staple, she vaguely remembers Jennifer also being into that sort of stuff.

Offered a seat, she walks over and sits down after a blink of hesitation, wondering if it wouldn't be better to remain standing before deciding it's not. Well, what do you say in a place like this ?

"Thank you."

They're way past the stage where they can discuss terms or attach conditions. She's pretty sure he got an idea about how she feels about the whole issue and that she hasn't made whatever decision she's come here to officialize an easy one. Helen's not going to elaborate on whatever unnecessary details that are of no interest to him and of little relevance to the overarching question, really. So she decides to just skip the bullshit and cut straight to the chase.

"Three days ago, you asked me if I'd step up to the job of Reeve." She looks Jack directly in the eyes to bridge the small gap she leaves. "The answer's yes. If the position's still open and you're convinced I'm up for the task, I'll take it."

Nosferatu Curse: The vibe that that shadow is not doing as a shadow does as soon as you're not looking directly at it.

5. Likes liked this post
    Jack
    Striking Looks
    (Handsome)
    Presence
    (Credence)
    Mask of Tranquility
    New Identity
    (Alexander Krait)
    Resources
    Jacque
    Behavior

Goes by Jack.

+1
    SL
    PRE

A corner of his lips curl into a grin at her acceptance. Finally, the Lord thought to himself. Her beast aside, the pesky shadow was just about the only thing that broke his fixation on the moment.

"My door wouldn't have been open to you this evening if I felt otherwise," blunt but the truth of the matter. He doesn't waste time, no matter how much he might have of it for the foreseeable future.

Upon hearing the affirmation, he moved the brass inkwell and pen to the center of the desk. "There is one last formality before I will make the announcement. You must sign an Oath." He lifted the cap on the well, but it was completely empty inside. The Lord paused to see what questions the would-be Reeve might have before providing further instruction.

Sorry for the delay, there was actually a continuity snag I had to resolve in a private scene.

Blood Hunt:

Helen Kingsley
    Helen Kingsley Scenes

Blush !
     Blush !, 

NOS
    PRE

"I see."

Helen has suspected that that's the case, but assumptions being what they are, best to clear things anyway. She looks from Jack to the empty brass inkwell and back.

Okay, she could have seen that coming. Swear an Oath, alright but sign it? Well, she's open to let herself be surprised.

"Sounds only fair, how exactly does that Oath thingy work?"

Jack
    Striking Looks
    (Handsome)
    Presence
    (Credence)
    Mask of Tranquility
    New Identity
    (Alexander Krait)
    Resources
    Jacque
    Behavior

Goes by Jack.

+1
    SL
    PRE

The Lord retrieves a blank piece of parchment and one that has words written in ink and provides both to her.

"It is pretty straightforward. You write those words on the blank parchment," A pause with almost dramatic effect if it were not for the deadpan delivery, "With your own vitae."

Oath language was sent via discord but will be saved to character sheets if/when Helen signs.

Blood Hunt:

Helen Kingsley
    Helen Kingsley Scenes

Blush !
     Blush !, 

NOS
    PRE

Helen takes both of the pieces of parchment and puts the empty one down next to the inkwell and pen. As she starts to read the one with the text on it, she chuckles. Well, it's been a fun ride while it lasted, anyway. She wonders if someone had paid attention or this is just another formality. Either way, well played ! She frowns a little as she gets to the bottom of the page.

"Fair enough, I can work with that. Two things, though. One, how's that thing enforced, as in what interpretation is the basis that's decided on ? Like-" she points out a passage in the text "-here. Me, I don't think there'll be much conflict of interest, because in case there could be, I'd take that stuff as a listing in order of priority and go from there. Question is, what is relevant to decide if I'm sticking to the stuff ? The written terms, the intent with which its been formulated or my intent as I copy it ? I mean, it might not come up a lot, but I feel like it'd be pretty handy to know.

Two, what happens if the Oath is broken in any way ? Last time I got to swear a formal thing like this, they went to great lengths to make sure I knew they'd court-martial me so hard, fi they don't put me up against a wall straight-away, then even my kid's grandkids would grow up in prison."

Jack
    Striking Looks
    (Handsome)
    Presence
    (Credence)
    Mask of Tranquility
    New Identity
    (Alexander Krait)
    Resources
    Jacque
    Behavior

Goes by Jack.

+1
    SL
    PRE

"It isn't a listing of priority, it is an all inclusive list." The Lord points to the second part of the passage, "With that in mind, the terms are meant to avoid an impossible scenario, where no matter what choice you made the oath would be broken. This provides a choice of channels you must engage should serving in the best interest of one go against the best interest of another listed."

The Lord considers for a moment, "Now that I think of it, there is still one impossible scenario that exists in the document." He takes out a pen and scratches through one key phrase. "Now should there be a conflict you feel between here and here, you would be then oathbound to meet and discuss the conflict with this person."

"The decision on 'sticking to the stuff' is based on your understanding of the Oath, which is why the meetings are prompted in case of conflict. We then give you guidance on the appropriate actions which you are then bound by that understanding. Kindred may lie and deceive to many, but they can never do so to themselves, which is why Oaths like these are so effective." He paused for a brief moment before adding clarity to the points, "The best interest of the Domain is to promote stability and adherence to the Laws. The best interest of the Court is to not undermine their positions or work against them. That is the direction you've been given, so that is what will apply." He opens his palms as a gesture for further questions.

"Given the terms of the Oath, do you really need to ask?" His eyebrows raised along with his non-answer. "Physically, the blood will dry, and you will not want it to do that."

Blood Hunt:

Helen Kingsley
    Helen Kingsley Scenes

Blush !
     Blush !, 

NOS
    PRE

"Normally, I wouldn't make such a fuss about it, but the way you folks go about language, nailing things down to the exact meaning seems pretty important. Just to make sure I don't get zapped by accident."

Helen scratches her head a little. She can think of a few more scenarios that could go way less great than possible, but hey. They'll deal with it when it comes to that. If it does.

"Alright, we'll see how that goes."

She reads over the change. As Jack answers her question with a counter-question, she looks back straight at him.

"'fraid so. As I said, I'm not a great fan of buying the cat in the bag or going into things half-assed. Or's that so much of a 'need to know' that I'm not included ?"

Despite the last statements, she already picks up the pen and fiddles a bit with it.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last
Closed Thread