June, 2005

"Master Feng, You have never refused one of my students before."

"Our decision is final, Master Laohu. We will not take her. It is not time."
"She has surpassed every physical and philosophical test."
"You know as much as I that the physical test is merely one part of a greater whole - a single point on a wider path."
"This is what she wants."
"Is it, Laohu?"
The monk's stare moved from the older man to the slip of a woman stood next to him at parade rest, and back again. He sighed heavily.
"These are not the old days, my friend. The world is full of distractions, especially for a young mind. She is barely twenty-one, but more important she has not chosen the path. It has been chosen for her, though she has walked with great surety." The Buddhist monk behind the desk held up a hand to stave of the imminent objection and turned slowly to the small woman.
"Phoenyx, why do you wish to join the Perfected Adepts?"
The teenager blinked. The glance to her mentor could barely be considered discrete. "I was told it would be an excellent path for my development."
"What did you do last weekend?" The young Obromos' dark eyes widened and her cheeks began to flush, but the monk merely smiled. "Humor me."
Another glance to her mentor. "I awoke and performed we performed yoga. I went for a run. We sparred. I studied. We broke for lunch. I..."
"Perhaps I should be more specific. What did you do Saturday evening?" He cut across her smoothly, still smiling, if anything a little more amused.
The young Obromos' dark eyes widened and her cheeks began to flush. The old man in the chair turned to her, confused. "I... left the compound," she answered slowly.
"Technically correct. Where did you go?"
"I... travelled into town."
Feng chuckled, looking back to Laohu, who was watching the girl with intense suspicion. "Your former apprentice is very good at saying technical truths. Her need to show respect - and, in no small part, obfuscate the event I am striking for, reminds me of you in no small measure. I know your close connection with Phoenyx, Laohu, and your lessons have been taken so much to heart she feels obligated to hide herself. However," he looked back to the woman, "You have no talent for deception, Phoenyx, and respect must be gaged with the whole truth. Amusing as this is I would like to get to my point. She did travel to town and returned, significantly inebriated. To attempt to return without detection she tried to employ Force magic, injured herself with Paradox and knocked over several items in the path back to her room."
The Arrow was positively crimson. Laohu was composed, but there was fury in his dark eyes. "We have discussed this, Phoenyx..."
The monk held up a hand. "Stop, please. It is not my intent to cause ill will between you. Laohu, your techniques have produced and honed an excellent fighter and a keen mind, but how much has she interacted with the world at large? We have discussed her regimen regarding the last ten years. Her training has been so intense that it it all she knows. Her discipline is without peer for her age and from the philosophy still she avoids overly restrictive rigidity in her approaches as we would seek in all Arrows. She understands the Hand, but has had no time to live it. You must see that this behavior is a breaking free of a constraint of the true soul. She seeks stimulation outside of the traditions you teach. Phoenyx is now a full member of the Adamantine Arrow in her own right - and is young to be accepted as such. She must take that responsibility, and be free make her own choices." The monk smiles kindly at Phoenyx. "Her own mistakes."
The old man's scowl faltered, showing his age through.
"I do have a suggestion. Assignment. Her skills must be tested in the real world, outside of these walls." Feng smiled, looking between them. "You have trained her well. She is ready."

Three weeks later Phoenyx was moving her things out into the hall ready for her move. Laohu emerged into the corridor, watching her. He looked sadder than she had ever seen him. When her former teacher spoke, it was heavy with emotion.

"I have trained you as best I can. I have trained you harder than any before - some believe too hard - but I knew you would endure. And because... of the promise I made to your grandfather that I would protect his family. For your parents this was simple, but from the moment you Awakened that duty was so much harder, and I.... feared for you. I had to prepare you for the dangers of our life the only way I know how - through the Hand, that you would be forged in the crucible. I wanted you to join the Adepts that it would shield you from the world just a little longer." His voice shook, fighting back tears. "My emotions for you have clouded my judgement. You are as much a child to me as your parents. But you are not a child any longer, and in my hubris I would not see it. I am... very proud of you, Kamiko. I have given you what tools I can, and now you must use them in the wider world. Trust yourself and what you have learned. Act in harmony with your soul, and you will be true to yourself."

Phoenyx smiled, gently taking the man in her arms for a simple embrace. "Thank you, Uncle.You have shown me a wider world and looked after me for most of my life. But now I have to go. I will never forget what you have done for me."

She took her suitcase and made her way out of the garden. Behind her, the mage known as Laohu sighed and began chanting in the High Speech of Atlantis, severing the sympathetic ties of years that bound him to the granddaughter of his best friend.