Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletinEdge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Ended
Watch

Two Down to One

THREADID
DISPLAYED
This is for adding a Search Category to the thread.

Note:
This is NOT a Notification for another member.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    Presence
    (Seductive)
    Striking Looks
    (Delicate)
    Mask of Tranquility
    Kalos Hamilton (Ghoul)
    New Identity (Myah Torsione)
    Twist
    Kalos Hamilton (Ghoul)

+1
    SL
    PRE

The evening was young, and as she walked through the back halls of her theater, she could hear the sounds of the evening's last show. It brought a smile to her face even as she turned toward the small room that had been prepared for the evening.

Two responses.

It was more than she had expected. But it was good. They had never been weak. But to see such drive and ambition lately. Well. It was good.

The room was outfitted simply as a sitting room. A lounge, a chair or two. Large, oversized cushions clearly meant for seats as well. Rugs layered atop the floor. Soft lights provided by table lamps or floor lamps. Posters for the shows from the years framed and hung on the walls.

Above she knew Kalos waited, ready to bring them to her upon arrival.

Settling herself onto the lounge, her movements graceful enough to be a show despite the lack of an audience she wondered. Wondered on how the two would become one.

Connor OBrien Drakken Jacque Killian
    Counterfeiting Life (Blush) in Public Scenes

Jack
    Striking Looks
    (Handsome)
    Presence
    (Credence)
    Mask of Tranquility
    New Identity
    (Alexander Krait)
    Resources
    Jacque
    Behavior

Goes by Jack.

Educated, scholarly, lawyer, scientist.
    Jack's outward demeanor and tone are a baseline of respectful and calculated.

He actively debates, persuades, negotiates and even at time tries to intimidate, as core skills of any lawyer worth his salt.

+1
    SL
    PRE

It wasn't every night you found yourself invited to the prestigious Ballo Della Notte. There were a few reasons he could deduce for the choice of venue, but given the timing he suspected it might be related to his offer to host the Unconquered. The mansion was a labor of love he had mostly kept to himself, and the Duchess would be in her rights to question his capability to host.

He took great care an attention to his attire for the evening. It would take a keen eye to spot much difference in his usual presentation, but he was certain to have near impeccably crisp folds in his dress shirt and suit pants from a fresh iron. His shoes were shone to a mirror finish. His Rolex had been freshly polished, fastened on his wrist. On each of his cuffs was acabochon amethyst cufflink, and last but not least he wore a royal purple vest.

He nodded to Kalos upon arriving, and once he was taken to Twist he bowed his head in greeting and a show of respect, "Your Grace, I trust your evening is going well?" He remained standing, his eyes lingering briefly to the surrounding area. He had not been in this part of the theater before, and he was being prudent in awareness of the new environment.

Blood Hunt:

Striking Looks
    (Handsome)
    Presence
    (Boxer's Build)
    Obfuscate
    (Mask of Tranquility)
    Connor OBrien

+1
    SL
    NOS
    PRE

The haunt stood before the imposing nature of the theater; that and everything waiting within. He took a final look at his pocket watch before slipping it back into his pocket of his black and green paisley vest, with which he wore a matching tie and pocket square. With squared shoulders beneath his chosen black Tom Ford suit jacket, the haunt strode in through the front doors exactly at the appointed time. Confidence was key when meeting your superiors, of course.

The first surprise of the night came when he felt no other predators around; though thinking back, the Haunt isn't entirely sure whether he's ever actually felt the presence of Twist's beast. The second came in the appearance of the man who seemed to be waiting in the lobby. Once or twice he may have seen this man with Her Grace, but that was neither here nor there; if he was here, it meant that Twist had put him here. The man was given the a nod of the head; he could be nothing more than a ghoul, for Connor had never seen him at court, but the ghouls of those above you still deserved some modicum of respect. The Haunt spoke no words, not yet at least.

The third surprise came when Kalos led Connor to the prepared room and he found that Twist was not the only inhabitant. Refusing to miss a beat in front of Her Grace, however, Connor immediately moved into a full bow, bending from the waist. "Your Grace, Alder Duchess Twist, Archon of Sacramento, Priscus of Daeva, and Judex; Thank you for inviting me tonight." He holds his bow for no less than 5 human heart beats before rising and immediately turning on his heels to face the Seneschal, moving into a more shallow bow as he does. "Seneschal Jack, Speaker of the First Estate and Priscus of Ventrue; A pleasure to see you tonight as well." This bow was held for 3 beats of the heart before he rose once again and turned to face between the two of them, leaving no one out his next statement. "I trust the collective night is going well?"
    Nosferatu Curse: An Aura of Danger, like the feeling that causes the hair to stand up on the back of your neck.
    The Vanishing:

Presence
    (Seductive)
    Striking Looks
    (Delicate)
    Mask of Tranquility
    Kalos Hamilton (Ghoul)
    Twist
    Kalos Hamilton (Ghoul)

+1
    SL
    PRE

Twist smiled at Jacque entrance, straightening enough from her lounging position to be polite. He was the Seneschal after all. Along with a man she in fact did have respect for. She was about to return the greeting and answer when Connor was showed in. Her smile remained, and it was not solely due to the fact that despite the three Kindred inside the small room, her beast was quiet. Though Connor did make her skin crawl. The touch of his clan no doubt.

At the formal greeting offered, Twist's smile flickered briefly to one touched with amusement, but it was a flicker so brief that it would have been easy to miss.

"Seneschal," a deep nod to Jacque and then another shallower one to Connor OBrien "Mister OBrien. My evening has been pleasant, thank you for asking. I am optimistic that it will continue to be so. Another smile.

She would not be ... upset if the evening with the two of them went poorly. The consequences would fall on them, not her. And she would learn something. But she did not think the odds were high that that would be the outcome. Else she misjudged greatly the two men's character.

"Please," she motioned to the seats, welcoming the men to take any they wished. And then, waiting a moment for them to do so, she continued, "I have asked you both here tonight as both of you replied to my inquiry about hosting our next Covenant meeting. And unless something has changed in the offers, tonight will determine the host."

Twist's smile remained as dark eyes looked between Jacque and Connor. Giving them a chance to speak.

Jack
    Striking Looks
    (Handsome)
    Presence
    (Credence)
    Mask of Tranquility
    New Identity
    (Alexander Krait)
    Resources
    Jacque
    Behavior

Goes by Jack.

He actively debates, persuades, negotiates and even at time tries to intimidate, as core skills of any lawyer worth his salt.

+1
    SL
    PRE

The Lord nodded and grinned at the respectful fanfare offered by the Haunt. "It is," he replied. It wasn't easy to commit to a layered show of a respect without knowing the context... especially given the particular company. As his beast's pride scratched at the back of his mind, the man before the two found the gesture acceptable. The Lord was content to take a seat at Twist's offer, and his eyebrows rose in mild surprise as he heard the night's agenda.

"Of all who might be capable, I am surprised to hear that it was only Mister O'Brien who answered the call," the Lord let the thought linger for a moment, "And so soon..."

There were a multitude of avenues the Lord could take to needle Connor. He wondered if this was yet another hasty attempt at accumulating favor, influence and titles. He waited for a response from the haunt to see what he had to offer. There were a thousand doubts in the Lord's mind but all that could be quelled quite easily by a simple exchange of information.

"I am curious if the Whip of Haunts still finds it a pleasure for me to be here tonight," he grinned at his own jest.

Blood Hunt:

Striking Looks
    (Handsome)
    Presence
    (Boxer's Build)
    Obfuscate
    (Mask of Tranquility)
    Connor OBrien

+1
    SL
    NOS
    PRE

The Haunt offered a deep nod of thanks at the offer of a seat; an offer he gladly took. The Seneschal's thinly veiled barbs raise the hackles of the beast, but the Haunt will not allow this opportunity to be so easily wasted. In response he offered naught but a smile. Perhaps this was the time to bring his lineage to light, for the Seneschal did not seem to understand that this haunt was raised in the ways of the Invictus. "I can assure you that with my lineage I can safely boast a bit of a specialty in hosting events such as this. I am Childe to The Good Alder Lucian LaChance, Viscount of New York, Steward of the First Estate, and Priscus of Nosferatu. As such, many a meeting were held on our dime, and within our establishments." He paused for a moment, eyes slowly moving between the two others present, yet being careful not to catch the eyes of the Judex.

Then a final look to the Seneschal came. "Of course, Seneschal, it is always an honor to be in the presence of one such as yourself."

Emerald eyes moved to Twist. "With that said, Your Grace, I would like to petition that my soon-to-open speakeasy, Nuit D'Encre, host the meeting for the First Estate before it officially opens its doors. I will supply members of my own Herd as refreshments, have recordings of the live band I've hired playing on low for some nuance to the setting and our conversations, and handle all decoration and preparation. It will be a neutral ground between all members of the First Estate, as it does not fall under the Laws of Protection that our personal Havens enjoy. I hope this pleases your Grace, and my petition will be taken under consideration." The Haunt finished with a small bow of his head and shoulders, inhibited only slightly by the seated position.
    Nosferatu Curse: An Aura of Danger, like the feeling that causes the hair to stand up on the back of your neck.
    The Vanishing:

Presence
    (Seductive)
    Striking Looks
    (Delicate)
    Mask of Tranquility
    Kalos Hamilton (Ghoul)
    Twist
    Kalos Hamilton (Ghoul)

+1
    SL
    PRE

Twist lifted a hand, palm up, her shoulder giving the faintest indication of shrug. She would not speak to the rest of the covenant and why they had not stepped forward on her offer. She had her own thoughts on the matter, but felt little inclination to share them. Letting her hand fall, she resisted the urge to smile at the early needle by the Lord, dark eyes glancing to Connor instead to see his reaction.

Well enough it seemed. Internally a knot she had been unaware of loosened. The Covenant wasn't known for hot heads and yet her luck lately ...

Nodding once in acknowledgment of Connor's confirmation of his bid to host, her face composed to smoothness she turned to Jacque. Silently granting him the floor to make his own claim. Or withdraw. But she didn't imagine that would be the case.

Ok! It might be social but it's still combat! I am going to say that Connor's confirmation of bid counts as a call to roll for initiativeDominance.

I'll admit, it's been a while since I've seen a social combat play out so if I'm in error somewhere feel free to call me out on Discord/the OOC threads. Otherwise...

Twist's Intent: "I want to see who should host..."

Dominance (Initiative): 4 + Presence + Manipulation + SL + Invictus Status = 18
    Guile (Defense): 3
    Nerve (Health): 7

Striking Looks
    (Handsome)
    Presence
    (Boxer's Build)
    Obfuscate
    (Mask of Tranquility)
    Connor OBrien

+1
    SL
    NOS
    PRE

Book Keeping

Connor's Intent: "I want to convince Jack to back down."

Dominance (Initiative): 2 + Presence + Manipulation + SL + Invictus Status = 9
    Guile (Defense): 2
    Nerve (Health): 5

The Vanishing:

Jack
    Striking Looks
    (Handsome)
    Presence
    (Credence)
    Mask of Tranquility
    New Identity
    (Alexander Krait)
    Resources
    Jacque
    Behavior

Goes by Jack.

+1
    SL
    PRE

Jacque's intent: "I want to prove I am the better host for the Sacramento Invictus in February..."

Dominance (Initiative): 4 + Presence + Manipulation + SL + Invictus Status = 13

Guile (Defense): 3
    Nerve (Health): 7

Blood Hunt:

Jack
    Striking Looks
    (Handsome)
    Presence
    (Credence)
    Mask of Tranquility
    New Identity
    (Alexander Krait)
    Resources
    Jacque
    Behavior

Goes by Jack.

(Devotion Activate D2I)Willpower 1 Spent
    +1
    SL
    PRE

He listened over Connor's spoken credentials carefully and his immediate petition to be the one selected. "Quite the affirmation," the Lord remarked with a thin, but earnest smile. Truth be told, the response reminded him of a not too distant version of himself. As he saw Twist's gaze return to him, he knew it was his time to present his bid.

He thought a moment after the Haunt committed to what he had to provide. The sense of dread that emanated from him was nearly distracting, but he pushed through the sense of danger to absorb each point the evening's rival presented. The comment about the Laws led to an stifled, yet audible chuckle from Jack. "Mister O'Brien, I have no doubt you've been putting every bit of your energy into developing your establishment and herds into something worthy of such an honor. I congratulate you on its imminent opening for business." He shifted in his seat to lean towards Connor, "It won't surprise anyone here that I believe I am currently more capable of hosting February's meeting than you, but..." The Lord lingered in thought, considering his next words carefully, "In the interest of making the most... informed decision with my personal opinion aside," he shrugged and flipped a hand over, "How large is this establishment you are proposing and how developed are your herds?"

The Lord considered for the briefest moment about sealing the lies from Connor's lips but he did make a promise not to in the present circumstances... and it was one promise he would not so hastily break.

3 successes
    Jack activates his devotion reflexively after the roll. Connor OBrien is up!

Blood Hunt:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
Closed Thread