Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletinEdge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Ended
Watch

Prelude before the Entertainment

THREADID
DISPLAYED
This is for adding a Search Category to the thread.

Note:
This is NOT a Notification for another member.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    Seneschal, Lady Notary, Priscus of the Nosferatu
    City Status
    Invictus status
    Presence (Lady)
    Obfuscate 2 Mask of Tranquility
    Resources
    Jennifer Hazelton

Nosferatu curse: A voice that withered like a snake sneaking through the grass, plummeted like an old man's nearing his demise

NOS
    PRE

Jennifer was pleased that the phone call had set up an evening entertainment and a prelude of conversation in rather rapid time. She did so love the meritocracy of the First Estate, yet there were times the formal letter writing seemed stiff...

Jennifer dressed in a tailored A line dress in high quality fabric, emerald green with a black lace overly on the capelet. It was perfectly tailored to her form, with a matching dark green capelet with clapsed collar that covered her gruesome mark of the Embrace neck. This was the debut of the dress, in case the Alder Duchess, Priscus of the Daeva and Judex of the Invictus spotted the pair tonight. The Duchess would recognize the work of the tailor that Mr. Jack had extended at the last meeting of the Invictus. The Nosfertu wore black evening gloves and carried a small black clutch. If someone was watching when she arrived, she did pause and drop off a knife sheathe at weapons check.

Her dark brown hair was wrapped into a French Twist, held in place with invisble pins and a pin holding a single live bloom of the Blue Convolvulus flower. She took a seat and awaited the arrival of Mr. Smith.
    Nosferatu Curse: Jennifer's voice withers like a snake sneaking through the grass, plummeted like an old man's nearing his demise.

Attribute (Presence)
    (Quiet listener)
    Aspect of the Predator
    Mask of Tranquility
    JC Smith

Cacophony Whisperer

PRE

JC's suit was the same Quinn had gifted him a couple months ago. it was, after all, his only real suit. Well, his only nice one.

He was lucky in a way. Wearing the same outfit for every formal occasion didn't look as bad for a guy. Especially given how often new outfits appeared in court. Though he suspected some of that had to do with showing off wealth and power as much as with fashion.

Making his way into the Elysium, he smiled slightly seeing that, indeed, the Lady Notary was wearing an outfit he didn't recognize. Undoubtedly paid for by the wealth being an Invictus provided.

"Good evening, Priscus Hazelton," he greeted her softly, grateful for the Mask since her predatory nature still slithered close to the surface disconcertingly. "Or would you prefer less formal address for a night of entertainment?" She'd introduced herself as Jennifer over the phone and in general JC preferred for casual speaking more openly but he didn't want to presume. Especially not in the Elysium. Even if right now it seemed to be just the two of them. He stayed standing for now. Again, not wanting to presume. He appreciated the Prince's openness in communication but he wasn't fool enough to think it extended further than permission given.
    Presence (Quiet Listener) 1 / BP1 / Mask of Tranquility

3. Likes liked this post
    City Status
    Invictus status
    Presence (Lady)
    Resources
    Jennifer Hazelton

Nosferatu curse: A voice that withered like a snake sneaking through the grass, plummeted like an old man's nearing his demise

NOS
    PRE

Jennifer glances to JC Smith as he approaches, a casual glance as she also checks behind him to see if any Kindred they knew were in attendance. Another subtle glance over Mr. Smith to check for any messages that his outfit or accessories, if he had been wearing any, signified. If she recognized the suit, she did not say.

"Good evening, Mr. Smith." She greets pleasantly, her face composed into a polite smile. Her voice slithered even as her posture and face were one designed for planned socializing. "I wouldn't be adverse to dropping the formalities around the Kine. I go by Jennifer when in mixed company." She shares.

"I trust that you have been well since we spoke last?" She inquired, ever polite. "I do know that recent changes may have upset one's routine. I, personally, am feeling a mutual friend's departure."
    Nosferatu Curse: Jennifer's voice withers like a snake sneaking through the grass, plummeted like an old man's nearing his demise.

Attribute (Presence)
    (Quiet listener)
    Aspect of the Predator
    Mask of Tranquility
    JC Smith

Cacophony Whisperer

PRE

There was no discernible (or at least deliberate) message through in his clothing by way of color, flower, or symbol.

It was strange how even though he was dead that her voice managed to make him want to shiver.

"As you like, Priscus Hazelton." They weren't in mixed company just yet.

He took her question as invitation and took a seat across from her, sitting forward with one leg crossed over the other.

"Yes. I'll admit that having to see my cousin leave... pains me." It sucked and while he was handling it better now, the loss still hurt "However, I've know the call of wanderlust myself. I'm trying to remind myself to practice patience and hope he'll come back soon." Though for Kindred that was relative. And JC didn't exactly have a good track record of staying in one spot either.

He gave a sad smile "I always try to remember that even negative feelings are trying to be helpful in their own. Would you like to talk about it?" he asked when she brought up her own feelings. Often, it was good when he could help others work through their own feelings.

6. Likes liked this post
    City Status
    Invictus status
    Presence (Lady)
    Resources
    Jennifer Hazelton

NOS
    PRE

Jennifer nodded slightly as he admits how he felt with Dirt Nap's absence.

"I can understand that, Mr. Smith. I feel the same way you do. Dirt Nap is my friend," She admitted plainly. Simply. "- and this sort of thing has happened before. Yet it doesn't make it any easier. He is... unique among Kindred."

She didn't want to paint Dirt Nap in any unflattering way. Mentioning the fact that he seemed to never subscribe to tribalism or ostracize Kindred based on perceptions of their affiliations could be misconstrued.
    "I agree. I myself resided in Sacramento when I had an opportunity to train for my function. I departed and had a great opportunity with the House of the Blue Convolvulus." She shares. "An Invictus cyclical dynasty - a bit of a power move and security for elders. When they near Sweet Torpor, they take care of business. Then they enter Torpor, watched over by the House."

Quite a sense of safety. She envied that stability and safety. Not to mention the shared resources... envy tugged at her for a moment. She pulled herself back to the conversation. Talk about her sense of loss, with Dirt Nap gone? She considered it. Jennifer was comfortable with the silence for a few moments. Considering.

"Perhaps later." Jennifer proposed. "Although if you ever do wish to speak about it. I do like reminscing with stories." She assured.

Attribute (Presence)
    (Quiet listener)
    Aspect of the Predator
    Mask of Tranquility
    JC Smith

Cacophony Whisperer

PRE

'This sort of thing happens'. One step below ‘God has a plan’ but he knew was trying to offer comfort.

However, even to JC felt like his smile felt a little tired. So he decided to let it slide away, rather than pretend. "I'd like to hear those stories. When you feel ready." Jennifer was probably right to drop the topic with amount of mental energy it took to discuss.

“I’m afraid I don’t know much about internal Invictus structure.” He had enough talent to discern where people placed within it but not exactly what any rank entailed. “Are Houses standard organizational subdivisions?” he asked “Or is that something not discussed outside the Covenant?” She’s brought it up, but he wasn’t sure if that meant it was okay to talk about.

City Status
    Invictus status
    Presence (Lady)
    Resources
    Jennifer Hazelton

NOS
    PRE

"I do appreciate the offer." She states, calmly. She looks over JC's shoulder subtly, looking for any passersby who are taking a glance at the Gangrel and the Nosferatu speaking.
    "I will consider it." A simple statement, yet an important one to her. She didn't open up to many, and she had to Dirt Nap. There had not been enough time between JC and Jennifer. Kindred could be paranoid, she reflected, and I am not above that.
    "Have you much experience discussing negative emotions?" Her dark eyes flick to meet his. They were in Elysium.

Jennifer considered his question, turning it over. She answered it partially, the answer that was appropriate to those seeking out if the First Estate was right for them.
    "Houses are an alliance. Younger Kindred may form alliances to have a semblance of normalacy or to complete a task, or commanded by one's Sire or Elder in their Covenant. Houses are formed with more permanency. As we live longer, short term policies do not apply to us.
    A benefit of the First Estate, once you move up," A touch of a smile on her lips. She was telling the truth, for her role as Notary required truth from her. Yet she was polishing the best side and presenting it as a shiny sparkle to catch the eye of a crow. Kindred could be entreated like so, at times.
    "- is that you do not have to adhere to short term strategies to secure assets and safeguard Havens or herd. The durability of the Invictus is being able to plan for long term goals and see them come to fruitation."

She did not mention the caution that went with this, for surely this was assumed.

"We are not bound to plan for our deaths the way mortals do. Yet those who think to the future plan for Sweet Eclipse, arranging air tight contracts detailing what shall be done with assets over time while one slumbers. Detailing the circumstances of rousing one. I was trained by the Successor of House of the Blue convovulus," A finger brushes the bloom that she wears.
    "- and she showed me some of the benefits. One of the reason I moved with haste when I departed some years ago is that Lady Notary Micha Chappelle was nearing Torpor. Now she slumbers, watched over by the Alder Libretist she awakened to take her place as Successor. As well as their ancillae partner and two younger Kindred who were inducted as full members when the entire House was awake for the first time in 15 years.

There have been rumors of one such House in Sacramento, who hold vast assets and influential sites."

She knew of the House, but she did not mention specifics to someone not in the Invictus. She led out promising and alluring truths, and did not disclose her whole hand. Some secrets were gained behind the Oath of loyalty to the Invictus. One of the most promising structure of the Invictus - the mentor and protege relationship. Former Prince Asa had taught her politics with the carrot and the stick. Alder Duchess Twist, Priscus of the Daeva, had taught her mystical workings of her Blood. There was the power behind the Invictus, safe guarded by the Blood Oaths that Jennifer cherished. She was not thinking of the knifes edge of dancing politics and one upmanship that also thrived in the Invictus.

"Some things are not discussed out of the Covenant, the specifics of the allure." Although some were inferred. Learning from Elders was the most tempting carrot.
    "I am honored to discuss what I can with you. I had begun to wonder if such a stability might appeal to you." Softly said, but just as direct as the brown eyes regard him.

Attribute (Presence)
    (Quiet listener)
    Aspect of the Predator
    Mask of Tranquility
    JC Smith

Cacophony Whisperer

PRE

“Some. I used to be a therapist,” he said with a gentle smile meeting her eyes. Yes, they were in Elysium but his training wasn’t an aspect that he kept particularly secret, though he suspected many would take insult that Kindred and Kine were still very similar psychologically. Besides, Jennifer already knew the truth of such training could be used and implemented within the context of Clans and Covenants.

“So, like a permanent Coterie.” It sounded like more than that but having some idea to build around helped. “When you say short term policies is that in reference to internal or domain procedure?” Or, he suspected both.

He didn’t comment on securing assets or how it could be taken within the Sacramento domain where obtaining such assets as large havens and herds required approval. Approval that might be easier when the Prince was Invictus herself.

“I’ll admit, I haven’t thought that far in the future.” He had enough anxiety thinking at most, a couple months ahead. Though, now that he did think about it, being a Gangrel offered at least one obvious solution for staying safe while sleeping, if not handling of affairs.

“Only rumors?”
    he asked with a slight smile. Yep, that definitely sounded like a recruitment attempt. Join up, protect your stuff, protect yourself, oh and we even got a local house to offer. JC wasn’t sure if Jennifer was just doing a pitch or offering real information with plausible deniability. Though the obvious answer was leader of the Invictus and theater owner Twist as a member. And probably Alessandra.

But he didn’t expect her to answer. Or to not provide the hiss of a lie when she did. JC chided himself for thinking that. Yet it was so hard not to when listening to the Haunt speak. All the same he moved on.

“Admittedly, yes. Stability is something I could use more.” Again, anxiety. However, he’d been on the edges of old boys’ clubs before. Maybe a bad choice of words considering local Invictus membership. Then there had been other rumors he’d heard. Still, he heard out Mable and Dirt Nap. He owed it to Hazelton to listen to her pour poison in his ear.

The Gangrel was quite for a time before finally speaking.

“Are you happy Priscus Hazelton?” he asked seriously.

City Status
    Invictus status
    Presence (Lady)
    Resources
    Jennifer Hazelton

NOS
    PRE

"Ah. You are well suited for the Danse, then." Jennifer believed. "You can interpret motives. I think thats what we spend half our Danse doing, watching our allies and rivals alike."
    "Yes. The members consider themselves bound for the rest of their Danse. Its a bit of security to have someone watching over you that you can trust."

Jennifer was watchful for that bud of envy, now. As it bloomed unbidden within her chest at remembering the sprawling estate, the private library, the downstairs havens through hidden labyrinths. That was what the Elders earned, she told herself firmly. It is not my time for that, yet.

Quote Originally posted by JC Smith:
    “Only rumors?”
    A sincere smile. "A good question. I am sure with the right mentor, one could find an answer."

Truthful. Yet still, not transparent. There was a reason Blood Oaths were the Skeleton of the Invictus.

Quote Originally posted by JC Smith:
    “When you say short term policies is that in reference to internal or domain procedure?” Or, he suspected both.
    "Not quite internal. It means that they are no longer reacting to events of the next six months. Several Kindred form a plan and execute it over decades. They safeguard themselves and usually, grow in power and respect."

Jennifer considers JC.
    "I think you have been here long enough to be established. Do you consider yourself established? Have you attained some goals?"

Jennifer considered the question for a moment, before deciding to live in the moment a bit more. Not that she was alive.
    There was still some unease over changes in the Domain. There was some anxiety over Chris's safety, and some over ensuring the safety of her Clan. Yet all of this was simply Dansing. Even if she lived in a peaceful Domain with no one conniving to take anything from her Family or seeing a possible way to extort her through Chris, she would still be doing what she was doing. She was behaving in the proper ettiquette of an Invictus Lady. Although she was making some allowances in terms of rank in mixed company, yet this felt like the right thing to do.
    "I am satisfied." She replied to the serious question. She wasn't sure on the term happy.

The Nosferatu considered JC. "You might be the first Kindred to have the teeth to ask me that." She stated. Simply being honest, as was her way.
    "Would you be uncomfortable if I asked you to turn your professional skill inward towards yourself?"

She was careful not to directly put him on the spot with her question. This was Elysium, and she would not pry at him to risk a frenzy by engaging his Beast.

Attribute (Presence)
    (Quiet listener)
    Aspect of the Predator
    Mask of Tranquility
    JC Smith

Cacophony Whisperer

PRE

“Yes and no,” JC admitted. His sire had shown him how well he could practically apply his training when it came to listening to the cacophony but that didn’t negateThere are some differences in environment.” You couldn’t always trust clients to tell the truth but in therapy you were allowed to ask the questions that would get you killed in court. And then there was the toll the Embrace had taken on his mind.

JC gave a soft chuckle when a mentor was brought up. For example, he thought, right now I could ask whether she meant herself or Archon Twist. However, with the obfuscation, such a question would probably be dangerous not only for him but probably Jennifer as well.“Are you offering?” was the closest he would probably get.

He nodded at her explanation. It was definitely something you saw, and he could relate to. Without the constant worry, you were able to extend your view past the immediate and look to the future. Like how Kine lifted out of poverty develop better financial planning without the stress of living day to day. Though yet again, such comparisons might be taken the wrong way by Kindred. “So aside from giving support and security, what kind of goals do they work towards?” He decided to take a chance and ask another potentially minefield question instead.

“Established?” he let the word hang in silence as the long seconds passed and he considered. A habit he was picking up from Dirt Nap.“Yes and no again. I feel I have a home here but that I am not… at home for a variety of reason. I have attained goals but they have been mostly personal.” And mostly in service of making a quick escape like with haven of soil.

He seemed to consider again for a moment. “Which has been a little by my own design. I have some hesitancy to engage the community.” To be ready to run. To avoid politics. To be vulnerable. Despite all his talk of it being the key to living. He sighed as things clicked. “It’s something I should probably change.”

He listened to her answer with intent and managed a melancholy smile to hear it had been a while since such a fundamental question had been asked of her. As much as one could pity a serpent. He knew what to look for, to listen for, when it came to honest responses. And honestly, he hadn’t expected one. To admit unhappiness in the center of the domain was to insult the domain, its ruler, her covenant, and more. However, she also didn’t answer with yes, which was… saddening.

1 success

“Sorry,”
    he apologized “Asking uncomfortable questions is a habit. And I’d be a hypocrite if they weren’t turned towards me from time to time.” Permission for her to ask her questions. Admission that he regularly tried to use his knowledge to examine himself already. Kept hidden was how exhausting it could be to make the effort.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
Closed Thread