Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletinEdge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Ended
Watch

Hedge Patrol I

THREADID
DISPLAYED
Hedge Patrol II
Jan 20, 2021 - Aug 28, 2021
This is for adding a Search Category to the thread.

Note:
This is NOT a Notification for another member.
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... Last

0 Scenes

The Hedge needed to be explored, patrolled.

The Thorns ever encroached, changing the lay of the land. Opening new paths, while closing others.

From Funderland's administrative building a secret path is opened. A stairwell, narrow and steep leads the Lost down and down and down. The myriad of cobwebs had been cleared, but ever industrious the spider rebuilds. Single edison bulbs have been strung up along the wall leading down into the Prohibition era tunnels that criss-crossed the subterranean map of the Freehold.

As the steep stairs come to an end, the passage abruptly shifts, taking a very sharp turn, running west-east. Rough hewn stone, dried mud, and grey brick run a curve overhead, cables run the length of it, tracking electricity to the glowing bulbs. On the ground is a rusted, unstable tack.

At the end of the corridor, as they've been told, is the Hedge Gate, closed, at least, for now.

Remember to include your Equipment in your Posts, please list Damage or Armour ratings.

Aeolus Gerrit Shenanigans Cassandra Reeding Cu Chulainn Ethan Walsh Scourge Ram

Ethan Walsh
    Mantle (Autumn)
    (See MiniSheet)
    Presence
    (Wall Flower)
    Dexterity
    (Cautious movements)
    Ethan Walsh

Mask- Ethan Walsh appears to be a fairly average man in his mid-thirties. He is a bit skinny and gawky, but nothing too out of the ordinary. If you put him in a crowd he would probably disappear if not for his orange hair, a sign of his Irish ancestry.
    Mein- When one sees beneath the Mask he appears to be an impossibly thin man with skin the texture of pear wood, arms like branches, and knees which bend the wrong way.
    Mantle- The smell of rotting leaf litter surrounds Ethan and the occasional fallen leaf is seen.

PRE

As soon as Ethan heard there was a job requiring exploring the Hedge he immediately signed up. His relationship with the Hedge is not without complications but he cannot seem to resist it. Obviously the Hedge is dangerous; full of briarwolves, the Gentry, and privateers. However, it also was what had let him escape the Green Lord. Not just him, but all changelings escape from their keepers through the Hedge. Learning more about it was the key to successfully staying safely away from the Gentry. Also, he was really good at it exploring it. Careful Ethan, vanity does not become you. Still, it is nice to be good at something. Ever since he came back he hadn’t been able to fit in. Something broke inside him in the Coppice and was shattered further into pieces during the time in the Hedge afterword. His skill at navigating and surviving the Hedge isn’t nearly enough compensation, but it was all he was left with.

Not prepared enough. Happens when the last real job was “pharmaceutical work” for Autumn in Chicago. A small, sad smile creeps on Ethan’s face at that thought before being replaced by a concerned expression. Is this it? Only one here. Trap? Calm down, Sacramento’s safe. Ish. Nothing left to do but wait. With that thought he leans against the wall, eyes half shut, but still watchful.

Note: no armor, no weapons

[willpower]7|7[/willpower]

New Identity
    (Gerrit Jameson)
    Gerrit

Mien:
    Leathery scars, bruises and scaly scabs cover the whole hairless body. There is a certain symmetry to the disfigurements, the color of the visible skin ranging from pale pink to purple and dark red. Lately patches of dark blue and black - frostbite - have appeared on his skin and some of the scabs have frozen over and crystalized.
    His right hand shows a copper-coloured, wilted and flaky scar, engulfing most of his palm and the inside of his wrist. Next to frostbite and bruised scars it adds a third layer of wounds bore by the Ogre.

Mantle:
    Contrast seem to grow slightly more stark around Gerrit, the crisp clearness of a winter morning. Sometimes the sound of ice forming or breaking can be heard in a short, brisk snap. When using Contracts a subtle, biting cold can be felt around Gerrit - pins and needles prick both the Onyx and those close to him.

Crown:
    Solid, thick panes of clear ice symmetrically arranged around his head with fern frost at the base.
    Active Pledges

Motley Pledge

Only a result of 10 on a die is considered a success. Should a given die result in no successes, the failure is considered to be a dramatic failure, though the oathbreaker may spend a point of willpower to negate this, making it a regular failure.
    -Until Oct 5th.

PRE

Stonebones Snowskin

Gerrit was glad to explore the local Hedge in the relative safety of the company of newcomers like him. That didn't mean he was well prepared for it. He could claim that he was too busy setting up his new life, but the truth was that he didn't think that he would find himself in danger that quickly - even after the several warnings he had heard about Fae activity around. I grew content with the new possibilites here. Well, I've made my bed, so I'll have to lie in it. Which mainly meant staying alert and not to take unnecessary risks.
    He wore sturdy jeans and boots, his windbreaker and an empty backpack and that'll have to do for this first expedition.

Arriving at the meeting point, Gerrit noticed the newest arrival of the Freehold already there. Gerrit approached him and gave him a friendly nod. "Hey, you're the new one right? I'm Gerrit and I'm just ever so slightly less new here."

Equipment: Empty Backpack
    Armor: 0

Cassandra Moore
    Presence
    (Charismatic)
    Striking Looks
    (Radiant)
    Intelligence
    (Keen)
    Kith Blessing
    (Prismatic Heart)
    Status
    (Entertainment)
    Cassandra Reeding

Eyes like cut, polished emeralds, waist-length scarlet hair, and glowing prismatic skin that seems to react to her emotional state, however what they mean is anyone's guess.

+1
    SL
    PRE

Wyrd
    •••
    Polychromatic Artist

Ah yes, finally traveling into the Hedge. Exactly what she wanted to do. ...not. There is a sense of fear that builds in her as she makes her way to the meeting point, though she tries to push it down. She came at least partially prepared, a knife and a backpack of some supplies. It could be worse. Remember that you can Hedgespin and you should rely on your social skills when it comes to Hobs. God, what I would give for Danica right now. Freaking Hob queen. She sighs a bit.

Again, Mykes words seem to flood her mind: Do you ever go into the Hedge? Well... I'm going in now, aren't I? I'm absolutely useless in a battle and I know it. That's why I'm terrified. I hope it doesn't come to it.

As she reaches the others, she gives a bit of a weary wave. While she is nervous, her skin continues to shimmer with its typical colors, nothing indicating her true feelings unless her movements give her away. "Hey," she says quietly. She nods to Gerrit and the other new guy, Ethan. She thinks that was his name. Hopefully he'd enlighten her soon enough.

Equipment:
    Tools: Backpack with Duct Tape, First Aid Kit (+1), and Flashlight
    Armor: Kevlar Vest (light) 1/2
    Weapon: Bowie Knife 2L

Attribute (Strength)
    (Barrel Chested)
    Merit (Arcadian Body:Str)
    (Huge Arms)
    Attribute (Dexterity)
    (Bull in a China shop)
    New ID (Andrew Sarcacious)
    Mantle (Summer)
    (+1 Athletics, Sounds of Battle)
    Ram

Mask
    Six foot, barrel chested, and didn't skip leg day. Ram is a muscle bound behemoth. His face and body are scarred from numerous injuries and his movements look stilted with pain occasionally. Still, his craggy face does soften occasionally.

Mien
    Ram looks like he could knuckle walk if he wanted. His arms and chest are enormous. More akin to a gorilla than human. His skin is an amalgamation of stony hide with fire cracks running through it and pieces of Fey machinery grafted at the joints. Segmented pieces of metal are bolted to run down his spine legs. Wood covers his skull with willow leaves providing hair, while curved bone horns sprout from the foliage.

PRE

Ram had gotten off work at Funderland and changed out of his uniform into his current get up of leather and shoulder pads. Ram had brought his own, but this was the set given to him by Circe. His efforts had been a mismatch of different sports. The Queen’s had more style by a mile. Even if they had the same basic protective aspects, Circe’s looked lack on outfit with purpose as opposed to a conglomeration of things found in the thrift store bin. The only thing he’d added was his helmet.

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/...20110407221857

Tromping down the stairs, Ram thinks that the tunnel looks like it was decorated by an Autumn without any concern on sound building construction. He smiles when he sees the others already there. Or was he late?

“Hey Gerrit,” he greets his fellow Ogre first. “Cassandra, looking radiant,” he continues “And…,” he pauses pointing at the man with pear wood skin, trying to recall the man’s name. He’d heard it during the last get together. What was it? “Welsh? I’m Ram,” he said with a smile to Ethan “You shake hands?” he asked before he offered.

“So, if everyone is here for patrol I guess we should get to know each and what we can do,” he stated as he began stretching his arm across his chest “In case things get serious.”

“Again, I’m Ram, Summer grunt, and Render,” he said mostly for the Wizened's benefit “My main talent is breaking things. Weapons, armor, fortification. To go along with that, I’m a good brawler, climber, runner and even better at those things since I have an agreement with the Stone. I know a decent amount about the Hedge, though not exactly good at navigating. I also know a good deal about magic defenses.” He looked expectantly at the others, noting that only Cassandra had armor and weapons. “I’ll probably be taking point.” Wizened and two Winters. Yeah, point was where he should probably be.

Equipment: Backpack, First Aid Kit +1, Basic Survival Kit (sleeping bag, canteen, flashlight, glowstick, one day water and food) Sport Equipment Armor, two pairs of extra socks, extra days food (unsalted trail mix), extra days water
    Last edited by Ram; Oct 14th, 2020 at 07:58 PM.  Reason for Edit: outfit url
    Render | Strength 6 | Mantle 1 Distant sounds of battle

6. Likes Aeolus liked this post

Ethan Walsh
    Mantle (Autumn)
    (See MiniSheet)
    Presence
    (Wall Flower)
    Dexterity
    (Cautious movements)
    Ethan Walsh

Mask- Ethan Walsh appears to be a fairly average man in his mid-thirties. He is a bit skinny and gawky, but nothing too out of the ordinary. If you put him in a crowd he would probably disappear if not for his orange hair, a sign of his Irish ancestry.
    Mein- When one sees beneath the Mask he appears to be an impossibly thin man with skin the texture of pear wood, arms like branches, and knees which bend the wrong way.
    Mantle- The smell of rotting leaf litter surrounds Ethan and the occasional fallen leaf is seen.

PRE

Seeing his fellows arrive Ethan opens his eyes and undertakes the customary pleasantries that are expected.

First turning to the Ogre who arrived first, Ethan returns the nod and says “Yeah, I’m the new one. Nice to meet your Gerrit, I’m Ethan.” His eyes trail up and down the man’s body, seeing the abuse which had been done to his form. His own scars seemed to burn softly in sympathy.

Next he looks at the Fairest, a motion as natural and inevitable as an avalanche. That is one thing Ethan always disliked about the Fairest. They drew your eyes to them, always seeming like the distraction from the attack behind. That’s absurd, your back’s against the wall. Still, despite its absurdity he can’t shake the feeling. Still he tries to put a pleasant tone when he says “Hey,” back to the woman, Cassandra. Bad omen, that name. Hopefully it won’t come back to bite us.

The noise of heavy footsteps alerts Ethan to the last of the members in the expedition. Please let him walk softer when we’re in the Hedge, Ethan pleads to no one in particular. Still, he seems pleasant enough, Ethan thinks as he goes through introductions. ”Walsh, actually. Ethan Walsh. And I do shake, thanks, he says as he grasps the Ogre’s powerful hand.

Listening to Ram’s exposition Ethan nods and decides to go along. ”That is a great idea Ram. I’m Ethan of the Autumn Court. My skills are mainly in survival. Drop me off at any place of Earth and most places in the Hedge without any equipment or directions and I’ll find my way back. That being said, I am awful in a fight so I’m glad to have you with me Ram. It might be best to have the navigator at the front though.” They seem like a good enough bunch. Backup might be nice. Ready or not…

8. Likes Aeolus, Shenanigans liked this post
    New Identity
    (Gerrit Jameson)
    Gerrit

Mien:
    Leathery scars, bruises and scaly scabs cover the whole hairless body. There is a certain symmetry to the disfigurements, the color of the visible skin ranging from pale pink to purple and dark red. Lately patches of dark blue and black - frostbite - have appeared on his skin and some of the scabs have frozen over and crystalized.
    His right hand shows a copper-coloured, wilted and flaky scar, engulfing most of his palm and the inside of his wrist. Next to frostbite and bruised scars it adds a third layer of wounds bore by the Ogre.

Mantle:
    Contrast seem to grow slightly more stark around Gerrit, the crisp clearness of a winter morning. Sometimes the sound of ice forming or breaking can be heard in a short, brisk snap. When using Contracts a subtle, biting cold can be felt around Gerrit - pins and needles prick both the Onyx and those close to him.

Crown:
    Solid, thick panes of clear ice symmetrically arranged around his head with fern frost at the base.
    Active Pledges

Motley Pledge

Only a result of 10 on a die is considered a success. Should a given die result in no successes, the failure is considered to be a dramatic failure, though the oathbreaker may spend a point of willpower to negate this, making it a regular failure.
    -Until Oct 5th.

PRE

Stonebones Snowskin

"Nice to meet you and welcome, Ethan." The Wizened's look making him almost feel self-conscious.

When Cassandra came he eased up a little. He returned her wave and offered a smile. "Hey Cassandra. How are you on this fine Hedge-patrolling day?" Well, for one she is well equipped.
    As was Ram, who arrived next. Instead of putting himself down for not bringing anything, Gerrit focused on the fact that half of the people present came prepared. Better get in that positive mindset before entering.

When Ram suggested the role-call, Gerrit frowned. Do I really want to claim to be strong next to him? He figured he didn't. "I'm Gerrit. I used to be a firefighter and as one might suspect, I can take a beating." Maybe levity was uncalled for, but it probably deflected from not bringing tangible merits to this patrol. "I can take the rear."

10. Likes liked this post

Cassandra Moore
    Presence
    (Charismatic)
    Striking Looks
    (Radiant)
    Intelligence
    (Keen)
    Kith Blessing
    (Prismatic Heart)
    Status
    (Entertainment)
    Cassandra Reeding

Eyes like cut, polished emeralds, waist-length scarlet hair, and glowing prismatic skin that seems to react to her emotional state, however what they mean is anyone's guess.

+1
    SL
    PRE

Wyrd
    •••
    Polychromatic Artist

"Aww, incredibly sweet of you to say, Ram." She says with a sweet smile, her perpetually glowing and shifting colored skin seeming to enhance that smile.

Cassandra turns her gaze to Ethan carefully as he says 'hey' back to her, but she can't seem to fully read him. She'd thought she felt something kind of off about his smile, but perhaps she is wrong. Then again, being a Polychromatic, many tend to be wary of her. She rather hated it. She gives him a nod and a pleasant smile.

She feels more at ease when Gerrit says hello to her. The pledge probably is part of that, but in general, having support from people of your own court tends to put you more at ease. Generally anyway. "Ah, well, I'm good. Ready-ish for some good ol' Hedge patrolling. I hope you are well." she tries to make it sound as if she is excited, but she would never feel at ease near the hedge.

She listens to the others describe their talents and she feels slightly less at ease. So many of us can't fight. That doesn't exactly bode well. I'm glad Ram is here for us. "Uh, things I'm good at," she pauses and then sighs, "I can find my way through the Hedge decently, usually. I'm good at scrying for information. If an area looks suspicious and there is something reflective in the area, I can likely see what has been up recently. I'm not physically apt, though I'll do my best. I tried to be as prepared as I can be. Hopefully I'll learn a few things in the coming months that will help get me together in that sense. I'll take the middle if that's all right." She says, moving a hand up to run through her hip-lengthed scarlet hair.

12. Likes , Aeolus liked this post

Attribute (Strength)
    (Barrel Chested)
    Merit (Arcadian Body:Str)
    (Huge Arms)
    Attribute (Dexterity)
    (Bull in a China shop)
    New ID (Andrew Sarcacious)
    Mantle (Summer)
    (+1 Athletics, Sounds of Battle)
    Ram

Mask
    Six foot, barrel chested, and didn't skip leg day. Ram is a muscle bound behemoth. His face and body are scarred from numerous injuries and his movements look stilted with pain occasionally. Still, his craggy face does soften occasionally.

Mien
    Ram looks like he could knuckle walk if he wanted. His arms and chest are enormous. More akin to a gorilla than human. His skin is an amalgamation of stony hide with fire cracks running through it and pieces of Fey machinery grafted at the joints. Segmented pieces of metal are bolted to run down his spine legs. Wood covers his skull with willow leaves providing hair, while curved bone horns sprout from the foliage.

PRE

Ram seemed to consider. It was Autumn but at the same time he was so thin. The Ogre shook his head. “I’d say it would better for you to lead from behind. We don’t have a lot of medical skill. I can eat my food to heal if I get hurt and Gerrit already said he’s tough. You two,” he included Cassandra “Are vulnerable. And as navigators… more valuable. Especially if we end up being in the Hedge longer than expected. What do y’all think?” he asked the Artist and Stonebones, willing to take consensus.

“Though speaking of navigation, where should we head? I was thinking either Capitol Park or this cabin hollow Queen Circe told me about.” They were really the only two location he really knew besides Funderland but they needed a destination if they didn’t want to end up wandering aimlessly at the whim of the Thorns.
    Render | Strength 6 | Mantle 1 Distant sounds of battle

Ethan Walsh
    Mantle (Autumn)
    (See MiniSheet)
    Presence
    (Wall Flower)
    Dexterity
    (Cautious movements)
    Ethan Walsh

PRE

Sighing internally Ethan decided to agree. Might not like it, but Ram makes sense. A group makes it much more likely we will be attacked, so defense might be more important than information gathering. Still, two brawlers, two scouts isn’t a bad makeup. ”You’re right, Ram. I am liable to be knocked down by a stiff breeze, so sticking to the middle makes sense.” An attempt at levity but the Ogre really is built like a castle, like the whole world would fade away before he could be defeated. “I guess marching order should be Ram, me, Cassandra, then Gerrit? As for where we are going, I expected we were simply going to circumnavigate Funderland and make sure there wasn’t any dramatic changes in the landscape indicating any newcomers in the form of privateers or the more dangerous hedge beasts. However, goals are a good idea so we don’t wander too long. Maybe we go to Capital Park, then the cabin, then maybe to my Hollow? It isn’t much but it might be nice for you guys to know another landmark in the local area if you ever get lost.”

15. Bump "Bump" this post
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... Last
Closed Thread