Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin Werewolf: The Forsaken on the Wiki
Ended
Watch
THREADID

Of Bats and Rats

Firebringer

PRE

Matthew's apartment is quite small, and although he clearly did his best to clean the place up, it still looks run-down.

Dave knocks on matthews door.

Matthew opens the door and invites him in, leaving the door open for when Grip-of-Steel arrives.

Grip-of-Steel walks in only couple of moments later. "Hello to everyone! Sorry if I'm late", Grip-of-Steel announces as he walks in.

"I haven't been here long myself"

"So what are the reasons for coming here tonight? I mean, we don't need a reason, but you sounded like had one.", Grip-of-Steel says to Matthew.

Matthew shuts the door behind him. "No problem. I wanted to compare notes from the room we found ourselves in, and bring Dave up to speed."

The young elodoth scratches his head with a confused look on his face: "Well that room... That was an interesting event. I don't have very much to tell, but I can share what I remember."

"I have no idea what your taking about at the moment so please do."

"Well it was a weird experience for sure. I was thinking that I just made it up myself, but apparently Matthew was there also, so..."

Matthew nods encouragingly.

"During the encounter with the Golden Bear the Undying I suddenly found myself in a room with no doors or windows. There were others too. Matthew was the only one I knew though."

"I have no idea what your taking about at the moment so please do."

Grip-of-Steel nods to Matthew: "Matthew checked the surroundings and said that the place did not have a Shadow or Twilight. At least some of those others seemed to know what those terms meant. Everybody seemed to be as confused as we were and when they started to talk, it was a discussion about our situation... Many of them smelled... weird. I'm sure they were not humans, at least not all of them, but I'm not sure of anything else. Then there were some disturbances in the air and I heard screaming. Claw like markings appeared to the walls, only to disappear a moment later."

"Do you remember the girl who claimed to be a mage?"

"Yes I do, how could I forget", Grip-of-Steel said with a smile on his face. "That was it. I don't remember much more, what about you Matt?"

"When the claw marks disappeared, most of you were whisked away. She and I were left, along with two others. Then she revealed that she knew that there were vampires, werewolves, and changelings in the city."

Grip-of-Steel looks surprised.

"Wait vampires are real?"

"They must have been those who had no smell! There was something odd about some of them, and now I remember. They had no smell!", Grip-of-Steel shouts.

Matthew looks to Grip-of-Steel. "Do you remember which ones?"

"Hhmmm.... I'm not sure. I remember that there were less scents than people, but I didn't had enough time to identify..."

"also what's a changeling?"

"I can try to remember, but..."

To Dave: "I don't know, she never did explain what she meant."

"I don't have any idea", Grip-of-Steel replies. "Did you have enough time to figure what that place was?"

"No, but the one who introduced himself as Mars said 'something brought us here' just before we were returned. Based on the timing, I think that was the key insight. Was he one of the ones who had no scent?"

"Let me think for a while... I think he was one of those scentless, but I can be mistaken. Blah, what an enigma. What do you think we should do to it Matthew?"

"Regardless, I had a talk with Mateo a couple nights ago. He met with a vampire, and it turns out that whatever had killed half his pack is hunting them, too."

"I don't know if it is a good or bad thing, but maybe they could be our allies if we play our cards right. Mostly I just hope that they leave our territory alone. I can't imagine any good kind of resonance that could be created in the presence of vampires."

"Do we knew how much of what we have seen in films about vampires is accurate?"

"I don't know a shit, but if we think about werewolf films and continue from there, I'd bet that sun is harmful. And the drinking of blood probably. But those are just my guesses."

"I certainly would like to have to really on that though."

"Well as I said, I do not KNOW anything. Lets hope we win the first fight against them, so that we can verify some details", Grip-of-Steel grins and is obviously joking.

Matthew's voice turns grim. "Do you remember that sudden sense of dread about a month ago? That night, I dreamt that something of immense power had entered the city, and could attack anywhere. I think that is what we are up against, and we need any allies we can find."

"I remember, I was patrolling then and it scared the shit out of me. I'm not a Storm Lord, so I can admit that. Maybe we should have allies, but how can we trust any one of them?"

"I hadn't been a werewolf that long at that point, I shoock it of as paranioa."

"Why, because the movies portray them as monsters? They portray us as monsters, too."

"And to humans, we are monsters. We are not evil maybe, but monsters we are. But would you consider something that drinks your blood to be trustworthy? I don't have anything against them, but I would not easily trust them. But then again, I can count those people I trust with one hand. And half of them are in this room."

"I will be calling a meeting of the alphas later to discuss recent events and what to do next. And Grip-of-Steel, I want you there."

"Then I'll be there", Grip-of-Steel assures "we can probably consider our reactions towards the 'others' after the meeting. What about the encounter? Do we know anything more? Or should we leave it for now?"

"I don't think there is anything we can do about it at the moment. There are just too many unknowns."

"So it would seem."

"I can't help either."

"Don't worry about it Dave." Grip-of-Steel turns his attention to Dave "So Dave, what is your story? You said you changed a month ago. Are you from here or...?"

"I know it seems rather mundane in light of everything else occuring around us, but we do still need to take care of our territory. I think it's time that we dealt with the Beshilu infestation."

"Sounds good to me. What do we know about their actions?"

"What's a Beshilu?

"Rat creatures. They have a nasty habit of gnawing through the gauntlet, and they've taken up residence in the sewers."

"Do we know why they gnaw though though the gauntlet?"

"It is their purpose. I don't think they even understand it themselves, if the old legends are to be trusted. But because they do, they must be stopped. And my mentor told me they harm humans too, they like.... claim them, go inside them and...." Grip-of-Steel voice vibrates as he is disgusted "... and eat them form inside."

Dave cringes when he hears this "nasty." "Have either of you dealt with them before?"

"No, I have only heard some old stories and listened when more experienced Uratha spoke about them."

"What about you Matthew?"

"Same here. Some of the older members of my former pack had fought them, but not since I joined."

"Just to cheek when you say deal with them you mean kill them dion't you?"

Grip-of-Steel just grins.

Firebringer

PRE

Matthew nods with a slight chuckle.

"just wanted to be sure."

"Though again, that might not be as easy as one would think. The old stories tell us how to fight these creatures, but it is hard. Sometimes these Rats and ratmen release a swarm of rats when they die. All of those rats must die or the small piece of spirit escapes and returns later."

"Is there much planing or other preperation we can do now?"

"Another possibility is to make them leave our territory and let them be someone elses problem, but this option has it's problems also."

"They'd probably just send them back here."

"Depends of who 'they' are. If there is no pack, no-one is probably going to do anything."

Matthew nods. "Someone should bring a torch of some sort when we're ready. It will provide light, and the rats may find that the flame follows them." He says the last with a wink.

Grip-of-Steel smiles widely after Matthew's words.

"Are you suggesting we try to burn the rats out?"

"More that a well-placed arc of flame might ... curb a swarm's escape."

"How would we get a arc of flame?"

Matthew grins mischievously. "You'll see."

"Is there anything else we should be discausing to do with the rats, i have a couple of questions about the tribes?"

"I think that's all for the rats for now, unless Grip-of-Steel wants to add anything else."

"I don't have anything about the rats. Luckily I haven't met them so far."

I've been given a brief discription of what the tribes are and a little about each of them but I have no idea how i would go about joining one or how to choose.

"You should maybe choose first and then think about how to join one. What do you know about the tribes?"

"What are the benifts of joining?"

"Would you care to explain Matthew? You have longer experience, so you can tell about the real benefits."

"Tribes are the closest things to social structures we have beyond the pack. The tribe gives you goals and a support structure, and eases the learning of certain Gifts."

"Can you discribe the various tribes?"

"The Bone Shadows seek out the unknown, and attempt to understand the ways of spirits. The Iron Masters seek to blend in with humanity, learn from them, and adapt to change. The Storm Lords are leaders, sworn to show no fear or weakness. The Hunters in Darkness, my own tribe, defend the sacred places of the world. And the Blood Talons are warriors, always honing themselves for combat."

"This life does seam to involve a lot of combat."

"I'm a Blood Talon myself. But as I am an half moon it is my part to acknowledge all kinds of weapons, not just straightforward and physical ones."

"What sort of wepons do you mean?"

"Information, allies, words, stealth, poison, seduction and countless others. I see weapons as means of to achieve a goal and physical combat is not the most effective always, though I have to admit that it is the most appealing to me."

"I've always enjoyed a good fight more so after the change."

"I follow the Thu Ibiru mindset. Rough Translation would be 'all is war. There is no difference in a argument and fistfight. Only different weapons. To me it was a battle when we spoke to the Golden Bear the Undying, I see everything as a battle. That is one path a Blood Talon can follow."

"Thats one occasion when I'm glad it was a battle of words instead of a battle of claws."

"It could have gone to the other direction also. Many times a pack has to defeat their totem to subdue it. We were lucky and estimated the situation well. But back to the business. What do you see yourself doing now, after the change? That is one important question, because your tribe and your patron can help you on your way."

"At the moment the blod talons sound like the tribe i want to jion."

"The tribe always needs new people. But I have to warn you, the initiation won't be easy or pleasant."

"Is anything worthwhile in life?"

Grip-of-Steel laughs heartily and slams his hand to Dave's back: "That's the spirit. I have to admit that I don't know the other Blood Talons living here and I don't know the rite of initiation. Maybe we have to ask around, or do you know who might be able to do it Matthew?"

Matthew thinks for a moment. "I don't know if any other Blood Talons would be able to do it. I suppose Tony might be able to teach you the rite."

"Well Dave if you want to be a Blood Talon, I'll help you to get your chance. I have to ask around and let you know what is the deal."

"Thank you."

"Is there anything else either of you want to discuss?"

"What are those weird silver tatooes that didn't show up until the others had crossed the gauntlet?"

"Spirit brands. They're marks of renown that show how much the bearer has accomplished."

"They affect spirits' impressions of you. If yoy have many brands, they honor you more."

"How do you get more?"

"They must be earned through your deeds. If the Lunes find you worthy, a rite can be performed to create the marks."

"There are five kinds of renown: Honor, Glory, Wisdom, Cunning and Purity. They all include a part of a so-called honorable life-style. So spirits see what you think is important and how much you have achieved. It is both a blessing and a curse. But mostly a blessing."

"I think that's everything i was wanting to discuss."

"I don't have anything either. Just let me know when the meeting is."

"So are we waiting for the other 2 to come back then going looking for these rat things?"

Grip-of-Steel turns his gaze to Matthew, interested.

Matthew shakes his head. "We need to take time to prepare for the encounter. Make sure you have plenty of Essence beforehand." Matthew turns pensive, remembering how Taylor had fallen.

"Ok I'll head to the locus once we're done here."

Grip-of-Steel swallows and the smile disappears from his face. Then the young elodoth nods to Matthew and turns to leave.

"See you later."

Grip-of-Steel nods to Dave also and walks out if no-one stops him.

"Good bye Matthew." Dave then turns to leave as well.

"Take care of yourselves." Matthew closes the door behind them.