Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletinEdge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Ended
Watch
1 - 10
DISPLAYED
Starbucks (Attn: Betony Rue)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last

PRE

Derek Noble packs his fencing gear, along with his real swords, into his Toyota sedan before heading to Starbucks to meet with Betony to discuss the matter of the missing kids. He's intending to do some investigation into this matter tonight, if possible, and figures having weapons close by should the need arise can't hurt. He also takes all the information he's been able to gather about the case so far - not much, sadly, but he had some half-formed ideas that might possibly change that. He wanted to talk them over with Betony, who had been actively looking into these disappearances longer than he, and later with the Summer courtier going by Grrface, who also seemed interested in such things.

Derek arrives a half-hour early, gets a cappacino and sits down to wait for Betony to arrive. He checks out today's paper for anything about the missing kids, or anything else of interest, but also takes time to check out the other people in the store just because people are interesting.

Betony Rue arrives about 15 minutes after Mr. Noble. She requests a special hot coco, which is more unsweetened chocolate than tasty beverage and goes over to sit by Mr. Noble.
    "Hello, Mr. Noble. It's good to see you early this time. Tell me about this idea of yours."

PRE

"I have a couple of ideas, actually. But they're related. They're also somewhat risky, and I could use some help in reducing the risk." Derek takes a moment to sip his beverage and to look around to make sure nobody is within range to listen in, then continues.

"I think you had the right idea in going to interview the parents, but the problem is, we had no real standing, so the parents had no reason to want to talk with us. I've set something in motion that might change that, and I've got another, more direct idea that might be quicker. As to the first one, I've got a few people looking into whether there are any community action or concerned citizen groups looking into these disappearances. If there are, there's a chance someone in there knows something, or that one or more of us could take part in the group and use that membership to get more willing access. A long shot, I know, but it's something." He shrugs.

"The riskier idea... well, ideas, really, they're related. You may or may not know this already but those of my Seeming know of a contract that allows us to project an impression of authority or of being some sort of celebrity or other famous person. Well, I can use that. I was thinking, if we find out through research that some notable individual in the community has taken an interest in this case, I can go to talk to a parent while presenting myself as that person. Or, if the parent got a call saying that someone important was interested in meeting with them to talk about and maybe be of help in finding their child, I can do that, too. I was thinking maybe posing as a researcher or producer or some such for one of those unsolved crime shows, something like America's Most Wanted, setting up a short-notice appointment and meeting to talk to the parent, maybe get a look around the home and the child's room under ruse that we're looking at maybe featuring the case on the show to try to drum up leads.

"There are some problems with doing this, though, and that's where you might be able to help. The clause in question only affects one person at a time, so unless one of the parents is a single parent, we'll need to arrange the interview for when only one parent is available. That takes some detective work, maybe a bit of surveillance. I'm not particularly good at that sort of thing - in fact, I sort of stand out, and I'm a somewhat known figure in the community, though not really famous or anything like that. I don't know if you have talents along those lines or not, but I can tell you're dedicated to figuring out what's happening with these kids. Plus, my day schedule isn't very free, due to what I do for a living.

"Now, I can also use the clause to make myself appear to be a high-ranking perosn in someone's workplace. That won't help us much with the parents of their kids, since there's no reason someone's boss would grill them about their missing kid, but if we work this right - and this is where it gets really risky - we might be able to rig it so I can use this to access police information about the case. It would take some knowledge of who is working on the case, and who their superiors are, plus timing and all that would be important, because it only works on one person, and it wouldn't do for me to be talking to one detective who thinks I'm, I don't know, the Chief of Detectives for the City, to have another come along who recognizes I'm nobody of the sort. So, again, some help with investigation would be helpful. I have some people working on some of this, but so far all I know is that the 13th Precinct is involved in the investigation, but I don't even have names. I don't know if you are good at seeking out information like that, but even if you aren't, it occured to me that you probably know some in the Autumn Court who are probably good at that sort of thing."

After his long-winded sales pitch, Derek takes another sip, studying Betony's expression, then asks "So, those are my ideas, though they're open to revision. What do you think?"

Mr. Noble gets very little from Betony Rue's expression during his speech. Her normal severe look remains steady throughout the long talk. She'll occasionally take sips of her bitter brew, though.
    Putting her cup down she replies. "To be frank, I am willing to help with your ideas but your expectations of my abilities are a little off." Betony Rue didn't like admitting fault, it had been dangerous during her time in Fairie to indicate ignorance. The situation seemed to require clarification though. "I am not a great researcher myself, getting most of my information from others. Since I am new to this Freehold, I have not established many contacts.
    Your plans seem sound, though. I'll ask around my season."

PRE

Derek nods, smiling. "Asking around is good. Nobody knows everything. There are lots of things I don't know how to do, either. That's why I think it best if as many as possible work together on this, come at it from different angles." He holds up his phone. "On the way here, I got a text from Kevin. He isn't sure he has much to offer either, but it sounds like he hangs with different circles than me, maybe than you, and if so, he might hear about something from whomever he hangs out with." Derek shrugs. "Or he might not, and maybe even if I manage to talk to a parent, talk her or him into a look at their child's room, I won't find out anything either. But we won't know what we can find unless we look."

"A bit later, I'm meeting someone from the Summer Court to talk over dinner. He posted something on the Four Seasons message board about wanting to make things safer, so I think he might be on board for this too. You're welcome to come too, if you want."

"I'll come if I'm able." Betony Rue generally got along well with other Summer courtiers she'd met in her previous Freehold, most of the time. She didn't know how well the militaristic mentallity and skills would help them overly much though. Betony Rue pulled her notebook out of her bag. "Of course time and place will be useful," she said expectantly.

PRE

Derek smiles, glad she decided to take him up on his offer. "I'm going to be meeting him at the Broiler at 6. I'd be glad to give you a ride, if you like."

Betony Rue jots down the time and place, then rummages through her bag for a bus schedule, checks it against the time and finally coming to a conclusion. Pointing to a station just outside of one of the worse parts of town she says, "You can pick me up at this station at around 5:30, if the bus is on time."
    Letting him get down the location she finishs off her coco. She looks about ready to leave but pauses before getting up, making sure he doesn't start talking again.

PRE

"Alright. I will pick you up then." Derek's phone buzzes and he glances at it. "I just got messages from Al-Adin and Kevin. Maybe they'll be able to make it, too."

He stands as Betony leaves and extends his hand. "See you at 5:30."

Betony left quickly with a small nod. She had an obligation to fullfill and she would have to complete it now if she wanted to make the dinner appointment. She immediately got on a bus to go see a man with a gunshot wound and his friends who she had made a pledge with.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
Closed Thread