Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Ended
Watch
Losing Focus

Darren Nash

Following a decent morning's sleep, Darren awoke feeling the best he had in the last year, ever since arriving in America. A new job, a good place to stay with a friendly landlady and a hot girl who actually seems interested in him.

Life is good he thinks. Yet, saying that, his goal of gaining that elusive boxing licence has been put on the backburner, leaving a guilty feeling in his stomach from neglecting his dream. Therefore, dollowing a shower and chucking some training clothes (navy shorts, white sneakers and a black hoody) Darren goes down for a late breakfast and looks for Miss Claire, his joyous mood palpable.

"Morning Brenda, you about anywhere?"

Darren Nash

She must be busy he thinks. Grabbing a quick bite to eat and some money, Darren decides to go for a run around the neighbourhood.

After a few miles, each step a focused beat in time with his heart and his breathing, the young boxer felt better than ever, and his breathing hadn't increased that much at all. However, thoughts of Aura began to creep into his mind once more causing him to shake his head in an effort to clear them out except all he does is fling sweat off his short mousy blonde hair.

Come on, Darren; 'train hard, fight easy', that's the Nash way. Keep it together, he internally berates at himself. Eating the streets up, Aurelie starts to subtly drift into his mind once more, causing Darren to forget his footing, losing time with his breathing and his heartbeat, which increases with every detailed thought of her.

Fuck it, he finally thinks, slowing down after a couple more miles, why fight it?

Darren heads back to Miss Claire's but stops on the way to pick up some groceries for her as a way to apologise for not doing any of the jobs he promised when he moved in. As he arrives back, he takes his sweat soaked hoody off and hangs it outside to dry before moving to the kitchen to sort out some lunch.

Brenda looks up from making lunch and smiles. "Well it's good to see you. Have some lunch, would you? I just need to finish up this spagetti sauce for dinner tonight and I'll join you in a minute." She turns and sees the groceries and she frowns. "Darren, why did you spend your money on food? I told you to save that."
    If we shadows have offended
    Think but this, and all is mended......

Darren Nash

Darren's smile vanishes as he drops the groceies on the counter, coming over woozy and pale, sending the milk spilling across the top. Leaning against the sideboard, Darren looks down at his legs as if they couldn't hold his weight and his hands turn white as he attempts to hold himself up.

"Miss Claire, I think I need to sit down," he mumbles, suddenly as weak as a kitten.

Brenda rushes over to Darrne and slides an arm around his waist, helping him to a chair. "My God Darren, what have you been doing? You look horrible. Oh let me get you some water."

She goes into the kitchen, pouring him a glass of water and comes back to hand it to him.

"Maybe we should call a doctor? I-what is wrong you with you dear?"

Darren Nash

Darren sips at the water and wipes the cold sweat from his forehead.
    "No, no, I don't need a doctor, just think I've been overdoing it a bit recently, with work and training." He smiles weakly at his landlady, "I must be getting old," he states, winking in an attempt to prove he's ok.

Brenda pruses her lips. "Nonsense, you are in excellent shape." She thinks about her own 38 years of age and sighs.

"All right, off to bed with you. Right now. And I don't want to hear any fuss over it either. Obviously you have been pushing yourself too hard and since you don't have a wife to fuss over it, I guess I will have to do. Get up, you're going to bed."

Darren Nash

Darren nods, wearily having to agree, his pride not even willing to raise its ugly head.
    "Yes, ma'am," is all the reply he can give before dragging his 6'3, 213lb frame up the stairs and collapses into bed without even taking his clothes off.

Must let Aura know I'm ill is his final thought before he drifts off to sleep, while trying to reach for his phone.

Brenda shakes her head in concern as she helps him up the stairs and tucks him into bed. "I'll wake you for dinner." She whispers, but is pretty sure he's already asleep.