Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Ended
Watch
1 - 10
DISPLAYED
Tonight's Show

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last

Bobby sits his desk at home, the light from the computer monitor reflecting off his glasses. Spread out before him on the desk are tabloid magazines and newspaper articles from around the country. On the screen before him are three open windows, one is a text document in which he's compiling information for tonight's episode of "The Briefing," another is an IRC chatroom that he's moderating, though he's not paying it any attention. The third is a forum that he refreshes from time to time.

This all looked like a lot of slacking off but it's all part of researching for the show. Some of the best stories come off the web, and Bobby was careful not to let anything fall through the cracks.

He sips from a Dunkin Donuts cup while clicking between windows, moving to the text document and beginning to tip-tap on a slightly crumby keyboard. He'd gotten a letter from a person who'd claimed to have seen the mothman. After talking with the gentleman on the phone, Bobby doubted if the story had any merit. It had been a while since he'd talked about mothman, though, and the topic was a favorite of his listeners. It has traces of weird creatures, mystic powers, and odd men in black conspiracies, and that was what the show was all about in a nutshell.

He finishes off a draft of the night's show, and turns to the local stories in the papers. He liked to try to include a segment in every broadcast that told the weird news in Sacramento. He scans the paper, looking for murders, disappearances, and other things that were outright strange or could at least be spun to sound strange. Coming across the recent story about the staffer at the Sacramento Bee he marks a big circle around the article with a sharpie.

He stands up from his chair, stretching his arms way over his head and arcing his back. After enjoying his stretch, he pulls his phone out of his pocket and calls the number of his police contact, to see if he can get anything out of him.

As Bobby picks up his phone to dial his police contact, he hears a voice on the line already.

"Hello? Hello? Mr. Fletcher?"
    If we shadows have offended
    Think but this, and all is mended......

"Huh? Yes, hello. That's me. Who's this?"

"My name is Phillip Leeman, I work for the city's pest control department. I was wondering if you knew anything about the recent vermin infestation? I know it don't sound very spooky, but it just seems odd to me that a lot more homes have called in with complains of rats and mice living in their houses in the last two months then we've had in the last five years."

"That's exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for, Phillip. More in the last two months then the last five years, you said? That's staggering. Is the city trying to cover this up? Can I quote you or do you want to remain anonymous?"

"Lord no boy, if my company finds out I called you I''ll be fired on the spot! No, don't quote me. I don't think they are trying to cover it up really, but they are trying to make it sound a lot better then it is.

I am not sure why the vermin seem to be moving out of the sewers, but everything I've heard and seen leads me to believe that's where they're coming from. The city suits say they're gonna send a few people down there later this week to take a look around and see what's going on. But I think this is something the public should be warned about, you know? People have little kids and stuff and rats like to bite little fingers."

"I agree, this is big. The public's gotta know. If you can get any nasty snapshots for the website then I'd throw you a few dollars for them. Hows about I get your phone number. Oh, and I swear you won't be mentioned by name. I won't even mention your department. I'll cite you as ahh... a reliable source."

"That sounds fine to me. Number is 555-8247. I'll e-mail you those snap shots if you want. Just make sure to tell people to be very careful. Most of this vermin is afraid of something and they are being more aggressive then usual. I don't want people getting hurt."

"Keep your ear to the ground and keep listening to the show, Phillip. Let me know if you can figure out what's got the critters all riled up. Makes me wonder what kind of shit's hiding under the city. If there's anything else you see, you remember, call me right away. 24 hours."

Phillip pulls the phone away and looks at it like maybe he's the one who called the crazy guy. "What's hiding under the city? I think that's a leap don't you? Maybe they're dumping some toxic stuff down there and that's why the rats are leaving. Anyway, yeah, I got the number, I'll call."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
Closed Thread