Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletinEdge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Ended
Watch
Havens , Glimpses - Dice Rolling etc

Magical Chinchilla
    Star Scenes

DP & Phoenix sent me a 'correspondence' thread between Alice and a char that Phoenix will eventually bring into play, and it got me thinking.

We've had people want to play ghouls or whatnot or maybe someone just has a concept they want to try out. I think that we could do something like that in 'retro' threads. Like glimpses, but actual interactive threads from a character's past. So if someone wanted to play a ghoul and found a player that was willing, they could come up with a backtory idea and run with it. Or do one-shot characters for something similar.

Anyway, thought I'd throw that out there, it may be fun, it may not, but I'm definitely open to the idea.
    Don't hate the player, hate the game.
    The Zeroth Law & the Burden of InteractionThe Devil is in the DotsGreat ExpectationsPlaying MagePlayer Run Plots
    If you have a question about your character, please post it on your character sheet

Magical Chinchilla
    Star Scenes

Generally, you don't need to roll dice for Glimpses as long as whatever the narration encompasses is:
    a) representative of the character sheet
    b) has no other effect beyond the Glimpse

I'll elaborate.

If you have a character with Str 3, Brawl 3, it's acceptable to say they're a good fighter, and fairly strong. You wouldn't need to roll to get Joe Blow in a headlock. However, if you go beyond that and narrate whooping Bruce Lee's butt or lifting a small car, you've gone too far.

If your Glimpse has effects that extend beyond that Scene -- such as hand-crafting a weapon, or painting something for a gift to another character, then it should be rolled.

That being said, when dice are rolled, they should be rolled accurately. Every task has modifiers, because nWoD is a system of single suxx/esuxx where the difficulty is represented by assessing penalties rather than requiring a certain number of suxx. Just like in the example above of Str 3 Brawl 3 -- rolling those would need to account for the appropriate penalty (the subject's DEFense).

So, try to keep that in mind, and if you have any questions, feel free to ask
    The Zeroth Law & the Burden of InteractionThe Devil is in the DotsGreat ExpectationsPlaying MagePlayer Run Plots
    If you have a question about your character, please post it on your character sheet

Melaine
    Storyteller
    Anasztaz Veres
    Nosferatu, Ordo Dracul

Blood Potency ••
    Striking Looks ••
    Status (Ordo Dracul) ••

Melaine
    Beast (Hunterheart)

Thanks for the clarification!

I sometimes like to include rolls in my glimpses just to make the narrative a bit dynamic, and the outcome a bit random, but it is good to know that I don't have to!

Also, I take this doesn't apply for deeds that breach the Humanity thresholds? In those cases should we police ourselves and go ahead and roll as per RAW?

Magical Chinchilla
    Star Scenes

Sure, sure, you can use dice for a 'randomizer' in a Glimpse if you want.

And, yep, Zen Sins fall into "beyond this Glimpse" effects, and thus are rolled

Magical Chinchilla
    Star Scenes

We are thrilled that so many people are enjoying so many Scenes and that some really cool interaction is going on. It's awesome to watch

But... (you knew there was a 'but') ...

Let's try to be conscious of what's going on. Just because an ST isn't "running" the Scene doesn't mean that your character can do whatever they want -- even if it does make for good, dramatic writing. If you have a question about a situation, please feel free to ask. We don't audit/read/watch every Requiem Scene, so just because something wasn't stopped when it was posted, doesn't mean it's ok and/or approved.

Thanks

As someone who had a minor mess up...it is definitely easier to ask and see what is viable. Saves a lot of time and does not lead to awkward situations.

Magical Chinchilla
    Star Scenes

I'd just like to clarify what the different forums are for:

Danse Macabre
    These are plot threads AND any other thread.

Requiem
    These should be "soft" RP only -- conversations, etc, which are purely role-play and won't pose any problems with continuity.

If you're not in a thread in DM, that's where your thread should be opened. If you think that there's any chance dice will be thrown, it should also go here. Danse is the default forum for any and all threads; Requiem is for "overflow" social threads.

Closed Thread