Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletinEdge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Ended
Watch
1 - 10
DISPLAYED
(Hedge Storm) The Battle

This is for adding a Search Category to the thread.

Note:
This is NOT a Notification for another member.
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 Last

Beyond the Hollow's thick walls, an army marched to war. It was the final battle in a long, drawn out affair that had taken many sacrifices. The Hedge-Storm itself was trapped, lured into a powerful dream with Sacramento's own Lost acting as the bait and ensnared by the duelling Wyrds of Baron Fairweather and Gianna, forever being the cage that keeps the Storm secured.

Now, the Storm's three avatar's, the leaders of its great army know this. They have regrouped and discussed and know the only way to win this war is to rip down Tickle's toadstool fortress and awaken the Fae inside. Across the Hedge, the Storm's horde marches with this one intention in mind. The army of Sacramento rides out to meet it. A thousand strong, it is led by decorated and determined changelings that can feel this is the last battle where all will be won, or lost.

The plan seemed simple. The gliders were to create a pathway through the skies so the lumbering bulk of Tickle's latest creation, a huge Zeppelin could deploy parachute commandos to attack from the rear of the Storm's ground troops and cut off any retreat. Hangers line the airship for gliders and as the airborne units take for the skies, last minute prep is made with Tickle guiding the hulking airship. The trick is to keep the Zeppelin in reserve until the infantry of the Storm are too committed to turn and run. This requires the glider pilots to keep the flying beasts at bay long enough and as the pilots move towards their crafts, a sombre atmosphere lingers. This will be their finest hour. Lieutenant Garth Goyle, the Elemental Manikin that Rick once met within the sewers of Sacramento, leads the glider units and his plastic wings twitch in anticipation as he checks over his own glider one last time.

Please post any preperations you wish to make. The first portion of these linked threads will simply be setting the scene

L

Rick walked in a slow circle about his own glider, keen eyes noting every last inch of its construction. Sure the half-remembered glimpses of his durance always included flight under his own power, but he still knew well that for something like this the state of your equipment was of the utmost importance. Though at least he had tricks enough to survive a fall from most any height, if he had time to use them. He just wanted to be sure he didn't have to use them.

And once he was confident that everything seemed in order he turned his attention to preparing himself. The battery rendering payment unnecessary as as he surrounded himself in a crackling field of protective lightning, motes of Glamour infusing himself with the wind's swiftness and the obdurate endurance of the natural world. He was ready to bring this saga to its end.

Preparation

The gliders are lightweight aluminium crafts with thin wooden frames, with both single and two-man variants in use; the former faster but not as armored as the latter, which could be described as a bomber. The weapons include four firepots for dropping to the ground and a forward firing repeating crossbow loaded with a dozen bolts. Four spare magazines rest within arms reach for swift reloading. On the two-man glider, a pintle-mounted crossbow can be swivelled around a 360 degrees arc.

As Rick checks out his cockpit, Lieutenant Goyle makes his way over.

"Its been a long time, sir. I wish it was under better circumstances," he says as Rick notices the very light Mantle of Autumn circulating around his wings, a leaf or two on the breeze.

L

"Don't we all." He did find his mind drifting back to when he'd run into Garth. Not so much the specifics as what he'd learned. That Tickle was messing with the Hedge. Perhaps if he'd pushed harder to get get action taken sooner this whole mess could've been avoided.

"But there's nothing we can do about that now. We'll just have to do what we can to make sure the better circumstances come soon." His hands came to rest against the cockpit, gaze locking onto his feathered arms. Though there was the unmistakable sense that he wasn't looking at them, but instead into the distant past. When he was wind cutting through wind, flying through alien skies. The storms ever his allies, keeping him alive at times when by all rights he should have been bested. When he'd felt the unbridled joy of flight on a daily basis. Tempered by the unbridled horror brought about by the whims of The Lady of Wild War.

"Better than the last time I flew into combat though...that was a long time ago, and a lot deeper in." A pause, and Rick shook his head suddenly as his mind returned to the here and now. Followed by a friendly clap to Garth's shoulder, if only to make sure that he was in the here and now instead of back in the then and there. "But let's hope enough of the tricks I remember'll work with these contraptions of yours."

Goyle smiled and ran his hand along the glider.

"Well, they're pretty easy actually. Just keep in mind the wind direction and the thermals should keep you up. The main flying beasts for the Storm are quite swift but not very agile, relying on passing swipes with their long tails or simply hooking on with the claws and dragging the gliders to the ground with pure bulk. The best tactic we have found is to avoid, gain distance and line up for a crossbow shot. Their hides are quite thin, surprisingly." He looks back to his King. "I assume you'll be taking a single glider?"

L

Rick nodded, he knew all about wind direction and thermals. He'd probably literally forgotten more about the subject than most anyone would ever know. Of course, since it was from his durance he'd also forgotten more than he remembered.But the instinct was still there, and he'd trust those. "Yes, I can survive most any mistake I'll make up there. But no use endangering someone else if I'm a bit rusty."

"Well, the single-seaters require the pilot to adjust his or her weight to steer, the seat acting as a rudder through the air. The two-man crafts are far moer tricky. If you prefer, you could always be the gunner, sir?"

Its obvious from his tone that the Lieutenent is trying to hide his worry about Rick's abilities with the glider without insulting him.

L

Rick spent several moments considering the glider. Garth's apparent concerns were not lost on him. Yet...the urge to take to the skies, to feel that exhilarating mix of freedom and joy spiced with a hint of fear, was not simply something he simply wanted to do. It was a deep-seated desire hard-wired into him, practically a need. "If you have any reservations about my ability to fly one of these things speak freely. No need to dance around a subject when there's no reason too."

The Lieutenant's wings droop slightly.

"No, no," he begins before scratching his chin, "well, yes, actually, sir. We've been at this for the last five months, sir, the moment the Storm began to use flying beasts. Its only natural that I am concerned for your well-being in going out on your own."

L

There's a long, contemplative silence as Rick runs a hand along one of the support struts. "I can survive having my glider knocked out the sky...just won't be as much of an offensive threat that way." Another pause, "Do you think I'd be able to fly one effectively?"

It was obviously less a question from King to Courtier, more from one who had little experience with a piece of technology to someone who knew it well. And it sounded as though the answer would determine whether or not Rick planned to gun or fly.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 Last
Closed Thread