Watch
1 - 10
DISPLAYED
Books

(PrP) Tunnel Trip Telegraph
Jul 16, 2021 - Aug 18, 2021
(DiT) Winners only
Apr 25, 2022 - May 25, 2022
This is for adding a Search Category to the thread.

Note:
This is NOT a Notification for another member.
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last

Magical Chinchilla
    Star Scenes

So, thankfully RPGers are one of the subcultures I've always enjoyed because most of us are literate. I read voraciously. Both my parents were readers, and some of my earliest memories are looking up at bookshelves. I'll pretty much read anything, but prefer sci/fi and fantasy. I particularly like sci/fi that explores the moving target of morality as technology impacts a society.

Books I like:

Hyperion/Endymion books - Dan Simmons
    Dune series - Frank Herbert
    Mordant's Need series - Stephen R. Donaldson
    Belgariad / Mallorean series - David Eddings
    Zone of Thought series - Vernor Vinge
    ANYTHINGZ WRITTEN - Larry Niven
    Dragon Prince & Exiles series - Melanie Rawn
    most anything - Orson Scott Card
    most anything - Brian Lumley
    anything - Katherine Kurtz
    'Jhereg' series - Stephen Brust

So that's the short list. What entertains/inpsires you?
    Don't hate the player, hate the game.
    The Zeroth Law & the Burden of InteractionThe Devil is in the DotsGreat ExpectationsPlaying MagePlayer Run Plots
    If you have a question about your character, please post it on your character sheet

West, if you like SF about the impact of tech on morality, society and so forth, you would probably love Greg Bear's novels Queen of Angels and / (usually called "Slant", but the title is, indeed, just / ). Both deal with questions of what happens to personal identity in a society in which bioengineering and nanotech have made many aspects of human nature - race/ethnicity, gender, basic appearance, arguably even species - malleable. Queen also deals with the ethics of AI, and / with the ethics of nanotech as a weapon. Great stuff. Bear's among my favorite of current SF authors. Darwin's Radio, Blood Music... so much great stuff, really.

I like a lot of the stuff on your list, West. Unfortunately, despite the genius of Ender's Game and some of his other works, Card is ruined to me due to his being a homophobic douchebag and a strident opponent of gay rights (he believes homosexuality should be recriminalized, and donated significant amounts to the effort to ban gay marriage in California).

Simmons' stuff, Dune and Lumley, though... good stuff.

Some of my favorites:
    George RR Martin, especially the "Song of Fire and Ice" series (Game of Thrones, etc.), but also the Wild Cards series, especially the earlier volumes.
    Gene Wolfe - pretty much anything, but especially "The Book of the New Sun" (Shadow of the Torturer, Claw of the Conciliator, Sword of the Lictor and Citadel of the Autarch). Wolfe is my pick (and that of a lot of people, really) as the best living SF/fantasy author, and arguably the best writer in the English language alive today.
    Charles De Lint - Any of his fantasy. Should be required reading for Changeling folk.
    China Mieville - Pretty much everything, but especially Perdido Street Station and other works in that setting. Another great Changeling inspiration.
    Neil Gaiman - Everything, really.
    Harlan Ellison - Unbelivably prolific, incredibly good and still provocative after nearly 60 years writing professionally.
    Karl Edward Wagner - Horribly underrated SF and horror writer.
    HP Lovecraft - sure, some of his stylistic excesses are... well, excessive, and annoying, and sometimes unintentionally comic. But Lovecraft is still one of the most original thinkers in horror fantasy, and there's a crapload of good stuff in his writing.

Magical Chinchilla
    Star Scenes

I've read the Bear books. I picked up Forge of God when it came out, and when he popped up again in the Man-Kzin short stories, I looked some more and found those. Ellison is good stuff. I enjoy the art of the short story, and he and PKD are awesome at it. Lovecraft... is Lovecraft He just goes on the shelf with all the good classics

Wolfe has been on my to-do list for some time. Every time I looked that way before, Jordan was putting out another book, so I'd re-read WoT to catch up. Finally I gave up. There were too many sharks to jump -- but now I suppose I can go see what Wolfe is all about I think you're the third person I've had recommend the books.
    Don't hate the player, hate the game.
    The Zeroth Law & the Burden of InteractionThe Devil is in the DotsGreat ExpectationsPlaying MagePlayer Run Plots
    If you have a question about your character, please post it on your character sheet

L
    Laufrey

I wasn't aware of Cards' hand in the gay stuff, that's unfortunate.

Elizabeth Moon: The Deeds of Paksenarrion are awesome fantasy and great example of character growth. Her Sci Fi stuff (Serrano and Vatta series) are damned good to as she shows how technology really fits in galaxy wide venues and some of the ways it impacts society.
    Fred Saberhagen: Most anything I've read of his blends the lines of sci fi and fantasy together rather well while offering a new look at things. Sword series and Empire of the East.
    George RR Martin: Had a blast with the Game of thrones.
    Melanie Rawn: Agree with West on this, the Dragon Prince and Sun Runners stuff was awesome. To bad more people don't know this series.
    Steven Burst: How could anyone not enjoy Vladimar Taltos and company?
    Raymond E Fiest: His Riftwar Saga started it all and all of that stuff is really good. Plus he builds up to epiphanies with his characters that are well worth the reads.
    Roger Zelanzy: The Amber series
    Alan Moore: Damn near anything I get my hands on. Watchmen and V for Vendetta.
    Andrew Lang: Most of the books I've read are old school fairy tales he's put together.
    Brothers Grimm: Enough said.
    Niel Gaiman: American gods and all the rest.
    Terry Goodkind: Impressed with Wizards first rule and looking to read more

Terry Prattchett: Pretty much anything.
    Neil Gaiman: American Gods
    Dan Abnett: Tanith First & Only!

Another big Terry Pratchett fan here.

Love Neil Gaiman's old stuff- Neverwhere was great, Sandman was great; but I hated American Gods. I know a fair amount of mythology, but I didn't have a clue about half of what he was talking about in that book. What, he expects me to sit and read his book with a Mythology textbook open next to it? Oh, and a book of coin tricks, too. Not worth the effort, for me, anyway. Plus, the main character lacks a personality (coin tricks =/= personality). Never bothered to pick up Anansi Boys.

Alan Moore- love it
    Garth Ennis- awesomeness
    Fabian Nicieza- anybody remember this guy? His run on New Warriors was freakin' epic. Seems like he burnt out too fast. Quantum & Woody was good too (teleporting goat, yay!)
    Douglas Adams- Hitchhiker's Guide series (the answer to life and everything is 42! Brilliant!)

I didn't really mention comics, but yeah... Alan Moore is incredible. PROMETHEA. SWAMP THING. TOP 10. LEAGUE OF EXTRAORDINARY GENTLEMEN... one can go on and on naming his great stuff.

Garth Ennis (PREACHER!!!) and Warren Ellis (PLANETARY is SO wonderful) are of course excellent, and of course Gaiman's SANDMAN is one of the greatest comics ever.

Fabian Nicieza is a pretty nice guy... I used to chat with him online on some old BBs.

Knot
    Theo
    Occultation
    Knot

Nimbus
    Knot appears, for a moment, as a marionette, roughly carved from wood and painted in a facsimile of life, bound up in a spiderweb tangle of it's own strings, that are pulled every-which way by unseen hands.
    Theo

Mask of Tranquility
    Striking Looks (Roguish Good Looks) 2

Anansi Boys is a billion times better than American Gods, just so you know.
    no offense but do i look like i understand anything?

@ Daeva- that's awesome! if you ever talk to him again, tell him you know someone interested in purchasing original Firestar art Oh, Miss Angelica, how your microwave emissions and yellow body suit are missed...

@ Benji- ok, I'm willing to give Mr. Neil a shot to win me back...Mr. Nancy did seem like an interesting character

Books. In this group of people, I imagine you'll end up encompassing the Library of Congress. My contribution:

Among the ancients: The Illiad, the Odyssey, Plato's Republic, anything of Thomas More.

Modernly, I like the writing of Morris West, Lost Horizon, and other Utopian novels.

Fantasy, I love Tolkein, C.S. Lewis, most of Katherine Kurtz (she's a neat lady in person), I love the Master Li novels of Barry Hughart, and I just recently discovered the Dresden Files. (With so many occult novels (like those of Misty Lackey or Laurel Hamilton) featuring courageous female protagonists, it's nice to come across a sympathetic, funny male wizard.)

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last
+ Reply to Thread