Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletinEdge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Ended
Watch
1 - 10
DISPLAYED
Auspex vs. Obtenebration

This is for adding a Search Category to the thread.

Note:
This is NOT a Notification for another member.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last

Magical Chinchilla
    Star Scenes

I've read both Disciplines, and two things jump out:

Quote Originally posted by VtR p.120:
    This power allows a vampire to see in pitch-black darkness.
    Quote Originally posted by BtH p.66:
    As a student of Obtenebration gains skill, he can generate his own darkness to conceal his deeds, to frighten victims or to animate through Shadow Play.
    Based on this, I would say that the Khaibit is using a supernatural ability to create shadows, which Auspex would contest against as any other supernatural ability to conceal (Clash of Wills sidebar, VtR p.119).

For this Clash of Wills, the Auspex user rolls:
    Wits + Investigation + Auspex

versus the Shroud of Night:
    Intelligence + Crafts + Obtenebration

If the Auspexer wins, the Shroud has no effect. If the Obtenner win, the Shroud has full effect.

Definition of Defender
    As outlined in the Clash sidebar, the person hiding is typically the "defender" with the Auspexer attempting to pierce their Shroud. The exception is if the Shroud is activated right in front of the Auspexer.
    Don't hate the player, hate the game.
    The Zeroth Law & the Burden of InteractionThe Devil is in the DotsGreat ExpectationsPlaying MagePlayer Run Plots
    If you have a question about your character, please post it on your character sheet

Awesome Thanks, man. I'll have everyone in the thread with Auspex roll vs Lars' activation roll and proceed to apply penalties and adjudicate future actions as necessary.

Ciara Maskelyne

Ahh, but one could argue that it is super-naturally created darkness. Would Auspex work against such creations, or just normal shadows and darkness? After all, darkness is simply the absence of light. Does Obten suck up light, or create something supernatural to cover it?

/Devil's Advocate off

Magical Chinchilla
    Star Scenes

Based on this, I would say that the Khaibit is using a supernatural ability to create shadows...
    Once could argue that you missed the part I underlined :P

put down the forty and step away...
    The Zeroth Law & the Burden of InteractionThe Devil is in the DotsGreat ExpectationsPlaying MagePlayer Run Plots
    If you have a question about your character, please post it on your character sheet

Ciara Maskelyne

Please, do you think I would indulge in such low-brow brew, despite what Billy Dee Williams, aka Lando Calrissian, might suggest? Gentleman Jack for me, thank you. ^_^

Ciara Maskelyne

Ahh, but it says a supernatural ability to create shadows, not that the shadows themselves are supernatural.... *Misses OWoD, where those fuckers could strangle your ass. Peter Pan had it right, nothing more creepy then being killed by your own shadow.*

Magical Chinchilla
    Star Scenes

/me hugglez Death Arcana

You know you're a 40 and a Swisher playa, don't front

the point of all this, Myk, is that a first dot Disc shouldn't trump a third dot Disc automatically. Its a balance issue.

Ciara Maskelyne

Oh no, I agree. Just thought I'd mess with West a little. Besides, you know someone would have brought up the argument. Might as well have a little fun with it.

Also, this is what I wear around the house:

Honkie

LMAO!

Smooth Myk

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
Closed Thread