Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletinEdge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Ended
Watch

(Rotten Roots) Take Warning

THREADID
Sep 28, 2022 : (Hedge Patrol V) Good Neighbours
Jan 23, 2023 : (Rotten Roots) Round Table
This is for adding a Search Category to the thread.

Note:
This is NOT a Notification for another member.
    Giant
    (7 feet tall; not fond of low ceilings)
    Strength
    (Lean but well-muscled)
    Spring Mantle
    (+1 to Pres/Day)
    Liam Gelt
    Mien/Mantle

Mien: Liam's skin is hardened into a bark-like armor with pine cone-like ridges throughout. His hair is made of pine needles that act a bit like a hedgehog's quills; standing up when agitated or smooth when calm. His eyes are a deep amber and his tears appear to have the consistency of sap until they leave his face.

Mantle: The scent of pine sap in a close radius, his needle-like hair ripples occasionally as if tugged by a light breeze.
    Combat Stats

Def: 2 (Dex/Wits)
    Armor: 0/0
    Initiative: 5
    Speed: 12 (w/ Fleet of Foot)

Ogre Seeming Bonus
    -Add Glam to Str pools (1 per Glam)

PRE

Wyrd
    ••
    Gargantuan

Liam wastes little time finding his way back through the Hedge Gate. This Rust was found in the Hedge, dangerously close to their Freehold. The Giant's natural empathy would've moved him to action eventually, but here there's a more present worry...

The cat-Hob Radavur and its kits.

2 successes

Liam does his best to retrace his steps to where the Freeholders had fought the bug-Hobs who kidnapped Radavur's kits. The glade was still there, though the signs of battle were long gone. From there he used his height to scan the underbrush and his long limbs to push offending foliage out of the way. "Radavur? It's me, Liam. We need to talk." His voice is loud, urgent, but not unkind. ​Maybe they've all moved far away and are out of the Rusts' reach?
    Saber Sloth
    Hedge Patrol V: (Fast Reflexes 1 via Pledge)

2. Likes liked this post

0 Scenes

Liam used the Funderland 'Gate, instead of the Capital Park Trod, the Trod being the closest to the first sighting of the Rust, and Radavur and their kits had been last seen closer to the 'Gate. Funny how that worked out.

With worry and stress sharpening his memory, the Gargantuan finds his feet leading him towards their home - or what Radavur claimed was home, despite the ever shifting nature of the Hedge.

"Liam-neighbour. What's with the racket." the hob-cat appears tail flick-flick-flicking "All that stomping about, all the prey's been scared off."

4. Likes liked this post
    Giant
    Strength
    (Lean but well-muscled)
    Spring Mantle
    (+1 to Pres/Day)
    Liam Gelt
    Mien/Mantle

Mien: Liam's skin is hardened into a bark-like armor with pine cone-like ridges throughout. His hair is made of pine needles that act a bit like a hedgehog's quills; standing up when agitated or smooth when calm. His eyes are a deep amber and his tears appear to have the consistency of sap until they leave his face.

Mantle: The scent of pine sap in a close radius, his needle-like hair ripples occasionally as if tugged by a light breeze.
    Combat Stats

Ogre Seeming Bonus

PRE

Wyrd
    ••
    Gargantuan

Liam stops shy of overrunning Radavur (and any kits who might be hiding underfoot). "Radavur! Thank goodness." The cat-Hob doesn't look affected by the Rust...so far. "My apologies for startling your prey. But there's something important I need to tell you. There's a plague...a Rust-plague that's been affecting Goblin Fruit around the Hedge. It warps the fruit around it and contaminates anything it touches." Horror creeps over his face as he flashes back in his mind's eye to Gerrit. "I...almost lost a friend to it recently. And he was an Ogre, like me. I don't want anything to happen to you or the kits by coming into contact with that stuff."
    He looks down at Radavur. The cat-Hob has been amenable before. Surely the threat to its litter would be enough to inspire action?

0 Scenes

Radavur's teasing countenance drops, in favour of a predator stillness. "Everything?" they ask, repeating the word the Ogre said, "I'd known of the fruit-infection, rust you call it? But I didn't know...everything. I'll be sure to keep my kits away." a nod, their leafy ears bobbing, "Thank you for the warning. Now, tell me what is you and yours doing to combat it? What is there to know about this enemy?"

7. Likes liked this post
    Giant
    Strength
    (Lean but well-muscled)
    Spring Mantle
    (+1 to Pres/Day)
    Liam Gelt
    Mien/Mantle

Combat Stats

Ogre Seeming Bonus

PRE

Wyrd
    ••
    Gargantuan

Liam's relief is palpable. "I'm glad. You and yours are important to me, Radavur."

As for the business of dealing with it. Liam ponders for a moment on how much the Hob would be able to comprehend. ​Best keep it simple. "Circe, the fiery gun-wielder with me last time, she's working on ways to destroy the Rust with the other Freehold leaders. There's...there's a real possibility we'd have to use fire to burn it out. So having you clear is especially important." He's not totally against the idea himself, which shocks him. But the risk of danger to friendly Hobs like Radavur has to be a worthwhile concern. "Our other leaders are studying the Rust to see if there's a less destructive way of getting rid of it. Or whether it's a more deliberate attack by one of our persistent enemies." Liam remembers mention of an...Autumn Lost named Mag? Meg? He'd have to ask Anatole or Circe or Rhodes about that.

"What have you heard or noticed about the Rust on your side of the Hedge, Radavur?" It sounded like the Cat-Hob was somewhat familiar to it.

9. Bump "Bump" this post

0 Scenes

Radavur is still has Liam explains, then their tail thrashes fiercely a low growl resonating from them. "I've noticed it. I thought I was only for the Fruit...not everything. Been keeping the kits away from 'em but - I...everything?" They ask again, shaking, vibrating and still growling. "I've seen this Rust on the Fruits, yes. Even here. It's spreading but I thought Fruit to Fruit. Not. Everything." a pause, "If it is an attack from your enemies, it's an attack upon the verry Hedge itself."

The Hob Cat stills once more, "Thank you for your care. Neighbour, thank you for telling me." the words sound like they hurt, but it didn't compare to what the next thing sounded like. "I am in your debt."

11. Likes liked this post
    Giant
    Strength
    (Lean but well-muscled)
    Spring Mantle
    (+1 to Pres/Day)
    Liam Gelt
    Mien/Mantle

Combat Stats

Ogre Seeming Bonus

PRE

Wyrd
    ••
    Gargantuan

Those last few words bring a look of surprise to Liam. Not because he wasn't expecting gratitude or anything, but because of what those last words meant. What he's sure they meant to Radavur. And to him.

Liam leans down to Radavur's level. Eyes glimmering with gentle gratitude. "Hey, that's what neighbors are for. They look out for each other." He pauses, thinking about something that twists his mouth into a brief contemplative line. But after that brief moment it stretches back into that familiar smile. "Well, if you want to repay that debt, you'd best keep those kits safe. And if Circe or anybody else from the Freehold comes by you'd best treat them well. They're your neighbors too."

​He stretches back up to his full height, as if suddenly remembering something. ​"I've got to go, but thank YOU Radavur. The Hedge needs more critters like you in it. Now be safe." And with his mission accomplished, Liam begins heading back out of the Hedge.

Thanks so much for a fun Scene!

Closed Thread