Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletinEdge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Ended
Watch

Sign of Life

THREADID
This is for adding a Search Category to the thread.

Note:
This is NOT a Notification for another member.
    New Identity
    (Gerrit Jameson)
    Gerrit

Mien:
    Leathery scars, bruises and scaly scabs cover the whole hairless body. There is a certain symmetry to the disfigurements, the color of the visible skin ranging from pale pink to purple and dark red. Lately patches of dark blue and black - frostbite - have appeared on his skin and some of the scabs have frozen over and crystalized.
    His right hand shows a copper-coloured, wilted and flaky scar, engulfing most of his palm and the inside of his wrist. Next to frostbite and bruised scars it adds a third layer of wounds bore by the Ogre.

Mantle:
    Contrast seem to grow slightly more stark around Gerrit, the crisp clearness of a winter morning. Sometimes the sound of ice forming or breaking can be heard in a short, brisk snap. When using Contracts a subtle, biting cold can be felt around Gerrit - pins and needles prick both the Onyx and those close to him.

Crown:
    Solid, thick panes of clear ice symmetrically arranged around his head with fern frost at the base.
    Active Pledges

Motley Pledge

Only a result of 10 on a die is considered a success. Should a given die result in no successes, the failure is considered to be a dramatic failure, though the oathbreaker may spend a point of willpower to negate this, making it a regular failure.
    -Until Oct 5th.

PRE

Stonebones Snowskin

Another member of Sacramento's Freehold Gerrit definitely had to reach out to was Liam. Apparently it was the fellow Ogre who carried Gerrit out of the Hedge when he had been poisoned. While he couldn't imagine the Spring holding a grudge, that didn't mean that his disappearance hadn't worried or hurt Liam. Was this the reason why the King of Sorrow had contacted Liam last of all the people he had to apologize immediately? Because he didn't want to see the hurt? Maybe.

He just finished cleaning up and doing some bookkeeping, which he did all by himself today. Business has wound down early at Rosie's - the little business that has survived Gerrit's absence - so there wasn't a lot to do. He was in no danger to lose the shop or fall into debt, but the difference was noticeable anyway.
    The door was locked, two bottles of water were set up on the counter, and colorful spring flowers waited in silent anticipation with the botanist for the Emerald Courtier.

2. Likes , liked this post
    Giant
    (7 feet tall; not fond of low ceilings)
    Strength
    (Lean but well-muscled)
    Spring Mantle
    (+1 to Pres/Day)
    Liam Gelt
    Mien/Mantle

Mien: Liam's skin is hardened into a bark-like armor with pine cone-like ridges throughout. His hair is made of pine needles that act a bit like a hedgehog's quills; standing up when agitated or smooth when calm. His eyes are a deep amber and his tears appear to have the consistency of sap until they leave his face.

Mantle: The scent of pine sap in a close radius, his needle-like hair ripples occasionally as if tugged by a light breeze.
    Combat Stats

Def: 2 (Dex/Wits)
    Armor: 0/0
    Initiative: 5
    Speed: 12 (w/ Fleet of Foot)

Ogre Seeming Bonus
    -Add Glam to Str pools (1 per Glam)

PRE

Wyrd
    ••
    Gargantuan

Gerrit's back in town!

There are a lot going through Liam's head. Relief is the chief one: knowing that somehow, someway, Gerrit had survived his encounter with the Rust. From that relief comes just a bit of regret and shame: not being able to do more in the moment. He's not sure what his meagre Contracts had done that day, but apparently they'd done just enough to stabilize Gerrit enough to get to other healers. Better healers. The generous Giant doesn't like being unable to help.

But that was in the past. And Spring is the Court of celebrating the present.

Liam strides towards Rosie's dressed casually. Normally he'd be bringing a gift of some kind, but he knows Gerrit to be a quiet sort and doesn't want to overwhelm him. Still, this doesn't stop him from knocking enthusiastically on the shop door; his voice peaking just a bit. "Hello? Gerrit?" ​Almost as if he's expecting the voice on the other side of the door to be someone else.

4. Likes , liked this post
    Bump "Bump" this post
    New Identity
    (Gerrit Jameson)
    Gerrit

Mien:
    Leathery scars, bruises and scaly scabs cover the whole hairless body. There is a certain symmetry to the disfigurements, the color of the visible skin ranging from pale pink to purple and dark red. Lately patches of dark blue and black - frostbite - have appeared on his skin and some of the scabs have frozen over and crystalized.
    His right hand shows a copper-coloured, wilted and flaky scar, engulfing most of his palm and the inside of his wrist. Next to frostbite and bruised scars it adds a third layer of wounds bore by the Ogre.

Mantle:
    Contrast seem to grow slightly more stark around Gerrit, the crisp clearness of a winter morning. Sometimes the sound of ice forming or breaking can be heard in a short, brisk snap. When using Contracts a subtle, biting cold can be felt around Gerrit - pins and needles prick both the Onyx and those close to him.

Crown:
    Solid, thick panes of clear ice symmetrically arranged around his head with fern frost at the base.
    Active Pledges

Motley Pledge

Only a result of 10 on a die is considered a success. Should a given die result in no successes, the failure is considered to be a dramatic failure, though the oathbreaker may spend a point of willpower to negate this, making it a regular failure.
    -Until Oct 5th.

PRE

Stonebones Snowskin

It was hard to read Liam's voice - partly because Gerrit had several thoughts of his own going through his head. He tried not to show any of this as he opened the door and let the Giant in. "Liam, good to see you. Thank you for coming." He locked the door again and showed his guest to the sitting arrangement. The chairs were probably too small to comfortably hold Liam, so Gerrit also remained standing.
    "I'm afraid I don't have much to offer you - only water."

Handing out a bottle of necessary, the Stonebones seized the other Ogre up. "First, I wanted to thank you for looking out for me. The way I have just disappeared was not okay. I'm sorry for that." That should set the tone for the conversation - most of all it somewhat lifted the weight on Gerrit's chest. And since he couldn't tell how much Liam knew (or wanted to know) he left it at that at first.

6. Likes , liked this post
    Giant
    Strength
    (Lean but well-muscled)
    Spring Mantle
    (+1 to Pres/Day)
    Liam Gelt
    Mien/Mantle

Mien: Liam's skin is hardened into a bark-like armor with pine cone-like ridges throughout. His hair is made of pine needles that act a bit like a hedgehog's quills; standing up when agitated or smooth when calm. His eyes are a deep amber and his tears appear to have the consistency of sap until they leave his face.

Mantle: The scent of pine sap in a close radius, his needle-like hair ripples occasionally as if tugged by a light breeze.
    Combat Stats

Ogre Seeming Bonus

PRE

Wyrd
    ••
    Gargantuan

The door opens and...Gerrit doesn't seem the worse for wear. If anything, he looks healthy. Thank goodness. Liam enters, giving Gerrit a pat on the shoulder both in greeting and to tangibly prove that his friend was there. "Of course!" He walks inside, noting the undersized seating. So he too opts to stand, eagerly accepting the water bottle. "Thanks, Gerrit. Hey, I'm a big guy, I need to hydrate. This works perfectly!"

Liam takes a sip of his water as Gerrit...apologizes? Why? Because of how quickly he left? "I'm glad you're okay, Gerrit. I'm really glad. I was so worried we'd lost you." And he really means "we"; Gerrit has so many friends in the Freehold. Does he know that? "I can't imagine what must've been going through your head after you woke up. I...don't blame you for leaving the way you did, Gerrit. And regardless of how you left, you're back now and you're healthy. In my book, I count that as something worth celebrating." The Giant smiles at the Stonebones, clearly glad to have his friend back.

"And know that everybody is working on getting this Rust-plague fixed. Everybody. Sera, Rhodes, Circe. We've all got your back." He looks around the shop, worried that the constant reference to the Rust might get to Gerrit. Make him feel weak, responsible for so much worry. "I'm glad you kept the shop. Got any plans for when Spring comes around? Flower specials, maybe? With Coronation coming up I'm always looking for fresh fauna to spruce things up." ​He leaves the pun open to see if Gerrit warms up to it.

New Identity
    (Gerrit Jameson)
    Gerrit

Mien:

Mantle:

Crown:
    Active Pledges

Motley Pledge

-Until Oct 5th.

PRE

Stonebones Snowskin

Gerrit brought his face to a smile when Liam's pat had jerks of dull pain shoot through his back. He handed a bottle of water over and stood across the Giant. Was he surprised about the way Liam reacted? Not really. It took some conscious effort to silence the part of Gerrit that took that reaction as a sign of weakness. Was overbearing selflessness something Sacramento's Spring Court specialized in? "I- the time after that expedition is mostly a blur. Seraphina took me in and cared for me."

Apparently Liam was completely convinced that the poison of the Goblin Fruit was the reason why he had left. Were the Stonebones more flexible, he'd shift uncomfortably. "I'm glad to hear that everyone is working on this. And that you have my back." He was. And still: what had happened in the Hedge seemed so much less important than losing his Motley, his Courtmates, his friends. Less important than feeling the walls closing in around him, less important than trying to get back his life had felt back then when he ran away. "There was also some private business I felt I had to attend to. But that is settled now." While it had felt correct to share a bit more with Seraphina and Anatole, something in Gerrit stopped him from going deeper. Why? Wasn't it Liam who had carried him to safety? Contrasts around Gerrit snapped briefly into focus as his Mantle left that question unanswered.
    But the Onyx smiled. "I am glad as well, thank you. I had some friends help me out in that regard. But I'm not really planing on doing anything special - flowers are my business all year round." A deliberately goofy shrug hopefully kept Liam from feeling stupid for that question. "But enough about me. What's new with you? Did anything exciting happen?"

Giant
    Strength
    (Lean but well-muscled)
    Spring Mantle
    (+1 to Pres/Day)
    Liam Gelt
    Mien/Mantle

Combat Stats

Ogre Seeming Bonus

PRE

Wyrd
    ••
    Gargantuan

The mention of Sera has a look of relief wash over Liam's expression. "Well, it's no wonder you're as well as you are. Sera's a wonder when it comes to healing. Though, I've been learning Spring Contracts myself for that." He's clearly proud of his efforts in that.

Liam's not quite sure how to peg Gerrit sometimes. The Giant's nature is to see the best qualities in others; but he's no fool.
    He's always so...uneasy? Closed off? James was kind of like that when... But the Winters were gone...except Gerrit.

That feeling from earlier...
    ​That weird chill that had wracked Liam some time back not too long ago. After the Winter Coronation.

But Liam can't help but stifle the urge to pry. Especially when Gerrit mentions 'private business'. ​"Oh? Well, I'm glad to hear it's settled. But if it isn't, and you think I can help, don't hesitate to ask." He's not about to leave a friend high and dry on his doorstep.

The goofy shrug does make Liam's own shoulders shift as he chuckles. "Well, there's been a lot of work around the Spring Hollow. A lot of surprises for the Spring Coronation. I think you'll like 'em." He gives a secretive wink. "Circe, Sonnie, and I have run into a friendly Hob-Cat named Radavur. We saved its kits from some Bug-Hobs, some of whom had Contracts who could hit like hell." He winces as he pats his still-healing ribs. "Hence why I'm looking to expand my own Spring Contract knowledge."

10. Likes liked this post
    New Identity
    (Gerrit Jameson)
    Gerrit

Mien:

Mantle:

Crown:
    Active Pledges

Motley Pledge

-Until Oct 5th.

PRE

Stonebones Snowskin

"Yes, she is quite capable." He didn't want to curb Liam's enthusiasm, but he didn't really remember much of Seraphina's prowess. What's worse, the real injuries he had taken were internal - a hundred little cuts over the past two years. That was not just a bit dramatic, but also probably too much to dump on the jolly Giant at once. "So you are learning those Contracts as well? And you seem to be spending a lot of time in the Hedge?" What might have sounded somewhat like an accusation was rather a polite curiosity. It was probably the desire to help the people Liam cared about - and Gerrit knew first hand that it was unwise to judge a Court by only it's most shallow stereotypes - but he couldn't say he wasn't a bit surprised by this. Then again, when you've got no chance but to stick out it was prudent to have a way not to be a liability.

"If you haven't already, Rhodes is willing to make his library available to members of the Freehold. Maybe you can find what you are looking for there." He took a sip from his water and added "If you are not planning on learning directly from Seraphina." Chances were, if she knew about she had offered her help.

He offered Liam a comparatively warm smile when the Spring offered his help. "I appreciate it. Thank you. But my way to deal with the situation was the decision to let go." The memory of his breakdown after Vivian had disappeared - the breakdown Liam had witnessed first hand - made embarrassment stir something deep in Gerrit and he looked around the shop. "I am ready to move on. But You can be sure that I will get back to you when I need the assistance."

A chuckle rolled in the Stonebones throat. "Oh? What kind of surprises do you think I like?" Not to circle back to stereotypes, but that really wasn't a thing Onyx Courtiers were known for. Or Gerrit. "But I trust that you put together something great. This Radavur.. is it still nearby? And you say it is no threat?" Part of him felt bad to focus on the possible negatives here, but if anything did go wrong he would be thankful for this lack of tact.

Eek, tried to shy away from the Coronation specifically, since that enters continuity today and this scene.. isn't. Sorry for taking so long!

12. Likes , liked this post
    Giant
    Strength
    (Lean but well-muscled)
    Spring Mantle
    (+1 to Pres/Day)
    Liam Gelt
    Mien/Mantle

Combat Stats

Ogre Seeming Bonus

PRE

Wyrd
    ••
    Gargantuan

Gerrit's interest in Liam's adventures is a welcome sign. He's opening up! That's good. "A little bit here, and a little bit there. The Hedge is still dangerous, but it's less so with friends with me. Or maybe with me with friends."

"I'll have to remember that." ​He's heard Rhodes mention his library before, but Liam had never thought the Autumn King would've had anything to offer one of the Spring Court. Though maybe he's learned some tricks from Sera? "Rhodes...he seems like he's got a lot on his plate with the Rust, but I'll see."

Gerrit's talk of 'letting go' brings a pause to Liam, and a somber nod. "I know that's hard. Especially if you might feel like you're letting people down." The words come not as a jab, as they could've been, but as something the Giant holds close to his heart. "But looking after yourself is just as important for looking out for those around you. And now you're a better Ogre...person for that."

Did Gerrit just chuckle? Was Liam starting to break down that stony exterior? Liam responds with his own rumbly laugh. "The colorful, friendly kind. The kind that make you feel at home." He raises an eyebrow at the mention of Radavur as a threat. "No more a threat than most single mothers: keep away from the kits and you'll be fine."

​There's a bit of a linger in the Giant's conversation as he looks down at the floor...or maybe his feet? He's muddling over something. Finally, he puts a hand on Gerrit's shoulder, gently then tightening his grip to a friendly intensity. "Hey, I've got to go but...I'm really glad you're okay, Gerrit. And I'm really glad you're back. Whatever healing you have left to do, inside and out, you're in the right place for it." ​He lets go of Gerrit and makes his way out the door, stopping just at the threshold and turning back. "And hey, don't be afraid to let loose a little. You've got a wonderful laugh."

And then Liam exits the shop and goes on his way.

My apologies for the delays in posting, had a lot of IRL to catch up on. Thanks so much for the fun Scene!

0 Scenes

0 Days remaining and with Liam wanting to Retire I'm just going to close this here.

15. Likes liked this post
Closed Thread