It was time for the ritual hunt. She removed a small chest from under the bed she never slept in and opened it with a gold key. Inside was a wooden rosary representing living wood, its divine might could hold a kindred in stasis, a bottle of clove oil to represent sacred anointing, a chalice for ritual, and red wine to represent The Blood.

She poured the sweet wine into the cup. It was purely for ritual. She opened the bottle of clove oils and placed a few drops on her thumb and raised her hand and glistening digit to anoint her forehead with a cross. “May my head be clear for the hunt.” She whispered softly. And then added more oil and did the same gesture over her breasts where her heart lay in atrophy. “May I feel no mercy for the sacred lamb that strengthens me.” She then lifted the cup and allowed the sweet wine to fill her mouth, and then she spit it out. “Let me spit out that which will poison me or not sustain me. Let the blood of the lamb fill me as I am the true chalice.”

She set the chalice down, and took up the rosary, and wrapped the beads for prayer around her hand and began her prayers. She whispered feverishly and softly. Every single bead was gently pressed between her thumb and forefinger against her head, and then her heart over and over until her prayers were complete. She put away the baubles into their box and locked it and placed it back under her bed. She showered and got dressed for the hunt.

Later…

Adeline had had no luck this evening in the hunt. She was about to call it a night, when someone whistled low from a parked car idling on the street. It was nice, but not flashy. A newer model audi, steel grey in color, with premium wheels, and the sound of soft jazz playing from an expensive sound system. Hmmm. She contemplated. The back windows were tinted to the point that you couldn't see if there was anyone in the back or not. It was that alone that let Adeline know something was up. She shifted her senses, expanding her ability to catch a scent. She could smell gunpowder, most likely a gun had been fired recently. There were three types of cologne. They smelled to fresh to be something lingering.

A man with the window rolled down poked his head out. He hand sandy blond hair, and steele grey eyes. They were empty like a reptiles. He certainly smelled like a human. His lips twisted into a hungry smile. "Are you walking or working, honey?" Came the soft voice that was meant to coax her to him. Every warning bell in her head was going off. She was fairly certain when they were done with the whore they were looking for, there wouldn't be much left of the woman. She was no woman, and yet, the Masquerade still stood, and murder was extremely complicated in modern society. Especially the unsolved kind. It would be messy if she took them on. If she frenzied it could cause a breach. No. She would have to go hungry...and these scumbags would continue their fun times.

"Walking." Adeline said brusquely and continued walking.