Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletinEdge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Ended
Watch

A Discussion of Faith

THREADID
This is for adding a Search Category to the thread.

Note:
This is NOT a Notification for another member.

Alt Identity
    (Adeline Martin)
    Presence
    (Playful)
    Striking Looks
    (Beautiful)
    Adeline Martin

+2
    SL
    PRE

Continued from (2301)Eternal Court...

Adeline gave her best friendly smile as the Shadow approached her. "Good evening, Conner." She replied softly when he was within easy conversational distance. She chuckled a little at 'properly met,' but shrugged a little. "As long as we take a moment to talk to one another I would consider that 'properly met.'" And with that she stepped off to the side with Conner to entertain a more in depth conversation about their mutual interest.

"I knew you you would notice that I had a bit more knowledge than the others who attended Mass." She paused for a moment and grinned. "I am not one to be shy about nor turn down communion, but I understand it's not the same for others." She said with the utmost sympathy in her expression and tone for that last bit. She did not disparage the others from their shyness, obviously. "I also celebrate the Sabbath, and chose not to hunt during it, as well as have the tradition with my closest kin to hunt the day before Sabbath in reference to the scripture." She spoke a bit like a lapsed Catholic. It was obvious she was open to more discussion on the subject.

Blood & Faith
    Presence
    (Earnest)
    Allies
    (Academia)
    Obfuscate
    (Mask of Tranquility)
    Eidectic Memory
    Conner Wells
    PRP Stats

HP: 0/7 [7 Bash]
    WP: 0/2
    Vitae: 2/6

Equipment: Reinforced Jacket, Broadsword, Messenger Bag (flashlight, pen, notepad, binoculars, duct tape), Phone, Wallet ($50 cash)
    Combat Stats

Def: 3 (Dex; Tonfa +1)
    Armor: 1/0 (Reinforced Clothing)
    Initiative: 4
    Speed: 9

PRE

Continued from (2301)Eternal Court...

Conner reflects the chuckle at Adeline's reserved definition of 'properly met'. It was succinct yet also polite. How decidedly unexpected for Kindred. He also notices her care in talking about her partaking in Communion, and it's the same level of careful deference he saw at the Moore House. "We each come into the house for our own reasons. I'm happy that there's a place for people to pursue such things as Communion." ​The subtext leaking from his words that it was just as much for his own edification as for those who arrived. "Is this a tradition you came to on your own? Or was this something you developed alongside someone else?" ​That Shadow-curiosity eggs him on towards answers. "I only ask because it's rare to find those traditions outside of the Lancea; or at least, the Lancea makes it hard for those to be found outside." He offers a rueful grin. "I myself was trained outside of the majority of the Lancea Sanctum political structure, though I was lucky enough to have built rapport with others who saw value in promoting me to Pastor."
    There's something about this woman that makes him feel...less rigid. Something dangerously close to someone he'd risked much for and lost in the end. There's an upset-stomach type rumbling in his heart as he wonders if he's building connections only to risk having them ripped out in the end.

3. Likes liked this post

Alt Identity
    (Adeline Martin)
    Presence
    (Playful)
    Striking Looks
    (Beautiful)
    Adeline Martin

+2
    SL
    PRE

Adeline nodded with a soft smile as Conner shared his perspective on what could bring folks into the church. "You had an excellent turn out for a first event. Considering there are not many who hold the faith in Sacramento." She paused a moment to watch him, and it was a subtle, yet full compliment. The small nod and the lift of her eyebrow indicating she attributed that success to Conner and not the Church as a whole.

She grinned slightly at him catching what she was putting down or rather hinting at. "Many that I knew early in my Danse are a part of the Church. Though the ones I ran with during that time, including my sire, weren't the type to try to push me towards it. They wanted to see if I would gravitate to it on me own. I hold the faith, I just don't always know about the church as a whole. Dedicating ones existence to a spiritual cause can skew things sometimes for certain Kindred, and that narrow minded thinking and I-don't get along." She made the effort to make a gesture with her hand on the don't get along part.

"Is that how you look at things? Less political and rigid-not so hard line?" She said with a small smile, and a question of her own. "What's the phrase amongst the Kine? Umm Spiritual but not religious?!" She said with a little chuckle, clearly injecting a little light hearted humor into the discussion.

5. Likes liked this post
    Blood & Faith
    Presence
    (Earnest)
    Allies
    (Academia)
    Obfuscate
    (Mask of Tranquility)
    Eidectic Memory
    Conner Wells
    PRP Stats

Equipment: Reinforced Jacket, Broadsword, Messenger Bag (flashlight, pen, notepad, binoculars, duct tape), Phone, Wallet ($50 cash)
    Combat Stats

PRE

The predator parses through that first compliment, looking for room to find offense; a reason to defend damaged pride. But Adeline had a point: the Domain has a sparse population of note, and Conner's not aware of many of those Kindred who hold to any religion, much less that of the Lancea. "The Seneschal has been a welcome supporter of the Moore House's restoration since he first handed me the keys to the place. He's seen what's worked and was happy to hear about my methods." It feels odd, talking about the Seneschal as an ally when months ago he'd been staring down the angry eyes of the second most powerful being in Sacramento. Much more so since he's noticeably absent tonight. ​"But yes, I was pleased to see those who were present."

The gesture was a welcome, almost casual expression to Conner's eyes. Indicating not disdain but a willful, positive eschewing of unnecessary drama. God! Have I become that guy now? Reading visual cues like pages of a manifesto? Kindred mindset can be exhausting at times. ​"I'd say more religious than political. My coming up in the Lancea was a bit more...sudden than most." He pauses here, as if to stop the dark voice in his gut from screaming at him for dipping so deeply into his personal past around so many listening ears. "My Sire was from a faction of the Lancea Sanctum that eschewed Domain power for ministry to its Kindred. To act as a conscience for the Domain in a gentler fashion. Though that in and of itself generates its own pride. Like you said; narrow-minded thinking." He shrugs. "Though it left me lacking in more pertinent knowledge in navigating the social aspect of the church. That I've learned since." He wonders what it must've been like to have the luxury of drifting towards the faith as opposed to literally being reborn in it through strife and suffering.

"You mentioned that you eschew hunting on the Sabbath. A worthy pursuit." ​Most Kindred might've tinged that last statement with a hint of irony or disdain, but from Conner it's genuine. "But I'm curious how you've made the city your own since you've been here? Found any good places to hunt? Spend time?" ​Were all Ventrue private animals? Or did they find their moments of social interaction outside of Kindred circles?

7. Likes liked this post

Alt Identity
    (Adeline Martin)
    Presence
    (Playful)
    Striking Looks
    (Beautiful)
    Adeline Martin

+2
    SL
    PRE

Adeline smirked at what Conner said about the Seneschal being supportive of the restoration of Moore House. She knew where Jack stood on the Lance at least in passing. His actions at Mass were also careffully noted by her. Kindred said a lot with their choices of actions over what they claim their motivation is verbally. Outwardly she merely nodded. "It was wise of you to discuss the history of the Lance here with the Seneschal. No better person to ask except for the Prince herself. While the past does not predict the future, it can give some important insight."

It had a softer side? She bit her lip a second and spared a moment to look around the room momentarily, glancing down, and then back up to Conner. She hesitated that brief moment to ask: "What creed do you follow, Conner?"

She reflected a moment on his questions posed to her before responding. "I'm establishing myself and my business here in Sacramento. That is a slow and crucial process. The Kine institutions only know who I am by a signature on a sheet of paper. Making myself more than just a ghost to this city will take a substantial investment of time and tenacity. So I suppose I answered your questions in two parts. How I spend my time, and how far I've come on 'making it my own.' I'm afraid socializing on the more personal side of things has never been a strong suit."

All work and no play may be true about the kine, but really the opposite for Kindred.

9. Likes liked this post
    Blood & Faith
    Presence
    (Earnest)
    Allies
    (Academia)
    Obfuscate
    (Mask of Tranquility)
    Eidectic Memory
    Conner Wells
    PRP Stats

Combat Stats

PRE

That hunger for information gnaws at Conner along with just a bit of predatory desire for conflict. ​What impression does the Seneschal have of me as part of the Lancea? What would he share with a Clan member that he wouldn't allow shared in Court...or under the Moore House roof? But no; Seneschal Jacque had been cordial and honest in their past conversation about the highs and lows of the Lancea in Sacramento. And one Communion does not a reputation make...so far. "Otherwise we dare to repeat it?" ​He offers an addendum to Adeline's remark with just the hint of a satirical smile.

It was strange to see Adeline look so pensive. I couldn't have offended her with anything I've said. Is she worried someone might be listening? Then she pops the question and interest grows. She's curious...very curious. ​Curiosity is dangerous for any creature. But to hand curiosity to a Shadow is asking for trouble...or opportunity. "Westminster; the Creed separated from the Monachal Creed around the Reformation era. If you're interested in learning about its history, I'd be glad to share what I can." Subtext being 'Perhaps somewhere more private'. ​He wants to see how far this well of curiosity goes.

"Business? What kind?"
    He knows not all Kindred respect or follow 'conventional' business practices in their mundane lives. ​"Better heard than seen? A worthwhile strategy even without the Masquerade." He nods in approval. "Well, if there's anything I can do to assist in that investment, feel free to let me know. The city is our home together, after all." He's honestly a bit surprised that someone as...the word beautiful doesn't feel right...would present herself as so reclusive. Perhaps it's just her preferred way of life. "Well, if you ever find yourself in need of conversation, you know my office hours." He'll be spending a lot of time at the Moore House now that it's open to the Kindred of the Domain. Might as well spend at least some of it not alone.

11. Likes liked this post

Alt Identity
    (Adeline Martin)
    Presence
    (Playful)
    Striking Looks
    (Beautiful)
    Adeline Martin

+2
    SL
    PRE

She nodded a bit with a wan smile. "My sire always remarked that consistency was only a virtue if you aren't a fuck up screw up." She lifted her shoulders and dropped them. Obviously something negative happened for the Lance to be abandoned in Sacramento previously. Very un-Sanctum like if you asked Adeline.

"Ahhh okay! You know I would really enjoy that! I do love history!" She bubbled up immediately, and took what he was putting down. "As to not put a press on a Clan Whip's time, why don't I call on you at the Moore House during your office hours?" She asked with a happy smile. That was exactly what she would hope he'd say. She was hesitant to talk too much about matters in court.

"I am a Venture Capitalist, which is a fancy way of stating I find proper investors with the right interest and the right capital to fund those whith a solid business plan and a dream. I take a certain percentage off the top, and walk away." She chuckled a bit at his offer to help. She found it unnaturally gallant of a Kindred to do so. Pleasantly so.

13. Likes liked this post
    Blood & Faith
    Presence
    (Earnest)
    Allies
    (Academia)
    Obfuscate
    (Mask of Tranquility)
    Eidectic Memory
    Conner Wells
    PRP Stats

Combat Stats

PRE

Conner almost raises an eyebrow at Adeline's language. Charming as she is, Adeline is clearly someone who loves subtext. And Conner's spent nights on end learning from people like that. "On that we agree." No need to belabor the past.

"Certainly. Feel free to send a message to give me a heads up. Renovations are ongoing and I'd rather not be caught with rats in my teeth." ​He smiles jokingly, even if the joke is only half-true. He's relieved that Adeline chooses discretion over valor here: faith and politics don't mix in Conner's book, and there's too much politics the atmosphere of Court.

"And here I thought venture capitalism was a thing of adventure stories." ​Conner's impressed by both the answer and lack of answer he gets. There's certainly a lot to be left for future...private...conversation. "Well, at any rate, I'm sure you'll have plenty of opportunities here in Sacramento to find those with extraordinary needs to be fulfilled at extraordinary prices."

Closed Thread