Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin Werewolf: The Forsaken on the Wiki
Ended
Watch

Let's talk Totem

THREADID
DISPLAYED
This is for adding a Search Category to the thread.

Note:
This is NOT a Notification for another member.
Page 2 of 2 First 1 2

I dig it. You got my vote.

2. Likes pisces liked this post
    Presence
    (Confident)
    Contacts
    (Street, Clubs)
    Primal Urge
    Emily Makerith

Emily Makerith Scenes
    Rhodes

Rhodes Scenes

Angular features, pointed ears. His jet-black hair bursts into bright red flowers and fine dark leaves about his ears forming a wreath of firey foliage that trailed just below his shoulders. Thin woody vines broached and twined across his milky-white skin, with leaves and budding flowers breaking into bloom at his cuffs.

Hedgespun coat - darkest thunderclouds, broiling and writhing, occasionally flashing as if lighting was happening on the other
    Phoenyx

Phoenyx Scenes

Nimbus: Scarlet flames rising out from her like giant sperading wings, and the sound of an eagle's screech.

Sounds good, from both Xander and Pisces ideas.

I was tossing around a bit of thought as well. I like the Raven idea in concept; I also took a bit of time to look at the reasoning to think of a different suggestion. Mark mentioned our highest Renown were Wisdom and Purity, but 4 in each of those are supplied by us old hands (Em and Bleeds respectively) and no-one else has Purity at all.

Everyone has Honour, and most have Cunning to back it up. I was thinking about some kind of figure that has it's morality but sometimes bends rules - like a PI, depression-era cop or even mafioso stereotype. I liked this idea for strong Bans that would tie into wolves breaking human laws to serve their greater purposes - breaking into a building to kill a supernatural threat, for example, is still breaking a law and we'd have to find other ways around. Or letting things that damage the area would force us into action.
    Alternatively, something like a community or hearth spirit? Ideas about rejuvenating the area would fit with multiple pack members building up businesses or getting involved in the already established ones.

I know some of these ideas are a bit half-formed, but I wanted to offer an possible alternate to Mark's idea.
    "Why? Why? Why? WHY?"
    "Four excellent questions!"
    Martin Kreefe and Douglas Richardson, Cabin Pressure

4. Likes Mark, pisces liked this post

QuoteQuote:
    Alternatively, something like a community or hearth spirit? Ideas about rejuvenating the area would fit with multiple pack members building up businesses or getting involved in the already established ones.
    ^This. I think this would fit the overall pack well and it ties in deeply to the their need for territory and being posessive of that territory. And especially if it is an unclaimed and spirit wild territory, they will have plenty of challengers for it. Spirits don't just challenge directly. They use any minions they have been able to spirit urge and ride to help do their dirty work in the land of the flesh. Always the Azlu and Beshilu will look to challenge or harm a werewolves turf, or taunt them by being just outside it-daring them to take the bait!

A Community spirit can also help the pack find a locus/ or a place in the territory to work on creating one. Alert the pack to potential wounds etc..

I dig it! Another piece of to consider is that pecking order. What court is operating in the territory. What is the highest ranking spirit/ most influential. How does the totem fit into that court. Is it the most influential spirit or a rival to it? Is it an up and coming lesser gaffling trying to sway influence in its area to strip power from another court? A lot of this will depend on how much Totem we invest.

A hearth spirit might call an old apartment building home. Built in the 70's, the 50 years it's been around has been strangely blessed with many families staying there for much longer than most other complexes (rent controlled), a couple in their 80's have lived there since the building opened. They raised their children, who stayed in the area to open their own local businesses. The hearth spirit that started as a mote in the reflection of their home grew, feeding on decades of essence from a warm, happy, stable home. Its sphere of influence grew to the whole building, then the block, and now it's starting to effect neighborhood. It's borders are in conflict with as industry is trying to push in from one side (there's lobbying going on to have streets rezoned for commercial use), and Rural Reclamation treating from the other, (carbon credits are becoming all the rage, gotta plant more trees). A powerful ban might be the Pack has to share a meal together every day, or a less severe one all polite guests are greeted with hospitality.

I dig it! Another piece of to consider is that pecking order. What court is operating in the territory. What is the highest ranking spirit/ most influential. How does the totem fit into that court. Is it the most influential spirit or a rival to it? Is it an up and coming lesser gaffling trying to sway influence in its area to strip power from another court? A lot of this will depend on how much Totem we invest.

None of that is a concern as of this moment. I won't allow something in play that doesn't exist or isn't appropriate for the spirit world in Sacramento. We are creating a Totem spirit.. not randomly picking one. How powerful the Totem spirit is depends on how many Totem points is put into it, and XP going forward. You start out with 9 creation points for the base spirit, then everything else depends on the totem point spread. You can make the Totem as powerful or weak as you want, that will determine in the end where the Totem spirit fits in the heirarchy.

8. Likes Mark liked this post

Talking mechanics here pack, I'm starting off with Totem 2 here, next month I'll bring that up to 3. We've been tossing ideas around in the Influence portion of the build. Some of the ideas we've bandied about have lived in the realm of concepts, i.e. community spirit. Where would the two dots of influence go for a community spirit? I'm guessing a Hearth spirit would be a in an Ideological choir. It's influence would be something like comfort or hospitality.

Another place to look is Emily's Garage. Makerith Motors is a an actual place in the history of the wolf venue. It's been around long enough for the garage to have a spirit. Ratchet is a tool spirit, but the garage, the building could have a freshly evolved spirit of its own. As the garage has been more than just a mechanic shop, but a gathering place for werewolves for years. That'd be something like a building spirit, it's influences could be 1 dot in garages and 1 dot in meetings.

Any input from Lionell BoxingUnicorn and Cress as to what the Concept of spirit you'd like for the totem of the pack? It's a reflection of the pack in the spirit world.

Once we have the concept we can distribute the 9 points among power, finesse, and Resistance. 3-3-3 seems like the obvious choice, but I vote a 3-2-4. If were to raise any attribute it will cost new rating x2 in totem points. it's a lot easier to come with 6 points than 8 in a smaller pack. The more attribute points a spirit has the higher its rank.

For Numen beyond material vision,if it's just showing up every 3 months for a pack gathering we probably don't need to spend any merit points there.

Then the bonuses. This is where we'll get the most direct impact from the merit points, but what fits conceptually with the totem?

Page 2 of 2 First 1 2
Closed Thread