Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin Werewolf: The Forsaken on the Wiki
Ended
Watch

Let's talk Totem

THREADID
DISPLAYED
This is for adding a Search Category to the thread.

Note:
This is NOT a Notification for another member.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last

Alright! I know we are a bit away from having this in play right now, but that's why we need to start this discussion, now; to avoid delays later. So that you can save for Totem if more points are needed/wanted for the Totem spirit of the pack. This will also let me know what kind of pack you are making, and what direction you want our stories to go for the end of this first Chronicle.

Some things to keep in mind about Totem!

1.) Your Totem travels with your pack.

2.) A pack Totem can also communicate with other spirits and even spy for a pack.. depending on the spirit and mission of the pack.

3.) It might be able to teach a few Gifts, have some mundane knowledge it can provide or have allied spirits who could aid a pack.

4.) You can lose your pack totem if your numbers ever slip below three in a pack for more than three months, the totem will run for it. You can lose your pack totem if it is destroyed because you took on an enemy that was to powerful for your pack to handle. You can lose your pack totem if you offend the Totem. Every Totem has a ban, and theirfore so does the pack. You are both bound by it!

With all this in mind folks! Let's start brainstorming for Totem!

Oh and if you need to brush up on Totem creation, you can find this information in Werewolf the Forsaken Core Book Chapter Three PG 186-195!

2. Likes BoxingUnicorn, Mark, Xadun, Xander liked this post

Throwing my two cents in here with some brainstorming.

Wiki has totem costing 3x new dot, not to be confused by the books cost of 3 per dot; so totem will expensive, be sure to set enough aside if you want to donate more than one dot. I'll be throwing as much as I can into this to help us get going. But... the more powerful the totem, the better the bonuses the more severe the ban.

Sacramento is a pretty urban environment, appropriate spirits would be children of coyote, rat, dog, etc... but also we can get different, a car spirit or a computer spirit would be appropriate, we could get esoteric and as well, but things get weird with spirits of emotions or concepts.

A good place to look for ideas is renown amongst the pack. All together the pack has a total of 7 dots in wisdom; 6 dots in glory, purity, and cunning; and every pack member has a point in honor. I'm thinking a totem that embodies honor and wisdom might be a good place to start the process. Ravens were a norse and Native American symbol of wisdom. They were also psychopomps, connecting the material and spiritual world in many mythologies. Following this thought train, a raven spirit that's connecting the old world to the new age of technology. A flock of Ravens is called an unkindness. Swarm spirits get a bad wrap thanks to the Beshilu and Azlu, but they don't have to be all bad.

In conclusion of my thought vomit- A spirit called The-Unkindness-of-Progess, a flock of spirits that resemble Ravens in a fashion. These spirits watch changes in the city as well as social media. Ban ideas could vary from being acknowledging the damage done by changing an item as a very minor though, to keeping an active social media account with daily posts. *shrug* running out of steam here.

4. Likes BoxingUnicorn, pisces liked this post
    C

How long will it take for us to get the XP needed for a lot more of it? I'm not sure if Cyan will even have enough to donate for a single dot. Otherwise, I agree with your assessment so far on what will suit the Pack as it stands

6. Likes pisces liked this post

Twist Scenes

Wiki has totem costing 3x new dot, not to be confused by the books cost of 3 per dot; so totem will expensive, be sure to set enough aside if you want to donate more than one dot. I'll be throwing as much as I can into this to help us get going. But... the more powerful the totem, the better the bonuses the more severe the ban.
    I might be missing it but I don't see in the wiki where it says Totem is 3x new dot. I would be happy to be corrected.

A good place to look for ideas is renown amongst the pack. All together the pack has a total of 7 dots in wisdom; 6 dots in glory, purity, and cunning; and every pack member has a point in honor. I'm thinking a totem that embodies honor and wisdom might be a good place to start the process. Ravens were a norse and Native American symbol of wisdom. They were also psychopomps, connecting the material and spiritual world in many mythologies. Following this thought train, a raven spirit that's connecting the old world to the new age of technology. A flock of Ravens is called an unkindness. Swarm spirits get a bad wrap thanks to the Beshilu and Azlu, but they don't have to be all bad.

In conclusion of my thought vomit- A spirit called The-Unkindness-of-Progess, a flock of spirits that resemble Ravens in a fashion. These spirits watch changes in the city as well as social media. Ban ideas could vary from being acknowledging the damage done by changing an item as a very minor though, to keeping an active social media account with daily posts. *shrug* running out of steam here.
    I, for one, really like this idea and reasoning behind it. I would second this particular idea/concept

8. Likes pisces, Mark liked this post

Lionell http://nwod.org/wiki/index.php/Experience scroll to the bottom of the page right hand side of the werewolf break down. There's also a section in werewolf house rules about totem glimpses. I think a lot of this stuff is VERY old. So it really all depends on pisces and what they believe is appropriate.

10. Likes pisces, Lionell liked this post

Lionell http://nwod.org/wiki/index.php/Experience scroll to the bottom of the page right hand side of the werewolf break down. There's also a section in werewolf house rules about totem glimpses. I think a lot of this stuff is VERY old. So it really all depends on pisces and what they believe is appropriate.
    Hey guys! That is how the Pack Totem is tallied. If you look on PG 188 of the Totem Creation Step by Step guide... do you notice how it starts with 9 dots automatically on step two? That's the creation of the spirit, and when you add your totem points in step 4, that is where you add things to the Totem that benefit the pack.

QuoteQuote:
    STEP FOUR: TOTEM POINTS
    At this point, players may select Numina for their
    totem and expend Totem points to increase the spirit’s
    Attributes. Increasing a totem spirit’s Power, Finesse or
    Resistance costs a number of Totem points equal to 2 x
    the new level of the Attribute. A pack totem’s Attributes
    cannot be raised above 7.
    All pack totems begin with the Numen: Material
    Vision and one other Numen of the players’ choice. The
    players may also choose additional Numina, at the cost
    of three Totem points each. Note that a totem cannot
    use Claim without becoming useless as a pack totem. It
    ceases to be a totem spirit proper, and becomes half of a
    new Hithimu.

How long will it take for us to get the XP needed for a lot more of it? I'm not sure if Cyan will even have enough to donate for a single dot. Otherwise, I agree with your assessment so far on what will suit the Pack as it stands
    You should have gotten one free dot at character creation. I will look on your sheet and correct this if not. You will be given some time to save etc. Thats why we are talking about it now.

Puck Scenes

lol

I was a player in the venue when these were introduced. It was Dr Dog that introduced them when he was ST (the second time?)so it would have been around 2013-2014 if memory serves. So definitely old.

When DrDog took over the venue he thought totems had gotten to abstract and wanted to make them more imminent for the players by having us rotate glimpses between the packmates. The point was to remind players the totem is more then just a weird essence battery. I agreed at the time we had allowed the totems to get a bit to distant, though I personally dislike forcing glimpses. I don't think Kelreth was enforcing them, though he also never took them off the wiki either.

Just a friendly fyi since I remember the conversation with the admin who introduced those glimpses Back In The Day, and I'm fairly certain no one else is around from back then to explain it. Feel free to ignore me if the info isn't relevant to what y'all are looking for. It's definitely a solution to a problem that hasn't been a problem in a very long time.
    Just your friendly neighborhood gulmoth!

14. Likes Mark, pisces liked this post

Thanks for this Xander! VERY old indeed!

Yeah, Kelreth was not enforcing totem glimpses during my time with him. He seemed to be using it as one of his ways to drop information and plot threads so it was a present character in the story.

16. Likes Xander, pisces liked this post

I am floating an idea through the players about instead of Totem Glimpses as proposed by the House Rules, that the new House Rule for Totem be that we have a Totem scene every 3 months. This is more in line with what other venue's have, and playing in those venues I can attest to it being an effective method. If everybody agrees with that, I will ask Youngblood if I can update the Wiki to reflect the new house rule.

18. Likes Mark, Xander liked this post
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
Closed Thread