Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletinEdge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Ended
Watch

Shadows Incognito

THREADID
This is for adding a Search Category to the thread.

Note:
This is NOT a Notification for another member.
    Blood & Faith
    Presence
    (Earnest)
    Allies
    (Academia)
    Obfuscate
    (Mask of Tranquility)
    Eidectic Memory
    Conner Wells
    PRP Stats

HP: 0/7 [7 Bash]
    WP: 0/2
    Vitae: 2/6

Equipment: Reinforced Jacket, Broadsword, Messenger Bag (flashlight, pen, notepad, binoculars, duct tape), Phone, Wallet ($50 cash)
    Combat Stats

Def: 3 (Dex; Tonfa +1)
    Armor: 1/0 (Reinforced Clothing)
    Initiative: 4
    Speed: 9

PRE

Continued from (2211) Formal Court...

"It's going well. Though I'll admit a lot of details with this costume came at the last minute. I'm not used to wearing white." ​There's a genuine, wry humor to his expression at the last sentence. The Lancea wore many colors in their myriad offices, but white wasn't a color worn often.

He thinks a moment on the mention of Brown's costume origin and recognition begins to dawn on him.
    "Father Brown! Those novels were a favorite of my Sire's." Though Rowan didn't share much; certainly not her leisure books. "I can't say I've read them myself, but I've heard they're classics." ​He looks down at his own costume. ​"I'm dressed as Admiral Thrawn: a character from the Star Wars novels. He's a more military character, and a villain. But I like the aesthetic and that he's someone who approaches problems from non-traditional means." He shakes his head a bit. "But don't expect me to have a comprehensive Star Wars history all in my head. I enjoy the book as a stand-alone space opera."

PRP Stats: In Minisheet

2. Likes liked this post
    Status
    (Acknowledged)
    Albert Baker

PRE

Al nodded on the humour and decided to try the same on his costume.

"I see. I'm not that used to clerical vestments. Luckily there are good stores for costumes here."

Nodding on the statement of being classics he went on a little on his own reason for using it.

"They are. I appreciate them much, as they have a certain appeal to them and helped me through a bad time in my life."

When Conner mentioned the StarWars novel Al raised an eyebrow as if to say 'Never heard of that'.

"Ah, science fiction... I never really read much of that after H. G. Wells and after my brother Alexis found an example of Shelley's 'The Last Man' on a flea market. These put a dystopian spin to the matter I didn't like. But I digress..."

While looking at Conner while hearing him talking he nodded along with the comment on the aesthetics.

"It somehow fits, I must say. At least the approach and the uniform, not the blue..."

Al frowned while trying to understand the phrase as science fiction had not too much in common with the opera he knew until he connected it with a phrase he hadcome across a long time ago.

"Space opera... That is an analogy to soap opera, isn't it?"

4. Likes , liked this post
    Blood & Faith
    Presence
    (Earnest)
    Allies
    (Academia)
    Obfuscate
    (Mask of Tranquility)
    Eidectic Memory
    Conner Wells
    PRP Stats

Equipment: Reinforced Jacket, Broadsword, Messenger Bag (flashlight, pen, notepad, binoculars, duct tape), Phone, Wallet ($50 cash)
    Combat Stats

PRE

Conner appreciates Albert's return of the little dig at dress sensibilities. He always appreciates it when Kindred are able to get out from under their stoic, brooding reputation and experience life a bit in the moment. He looks interested when Albert mentions the impact the books had on him. Really? As a human? Or as Kindred? Before or after he joined the Circle? But he understands that some pasts are meant to be kept close to the chest, and so he just nods approvingly. ​"Books have that kind of power sometimes. It's a nice way of escaping reality for a moment."

It somehow always surprises Conner when he hears about references to a Kindred's age; or as close as one can have an 'age' in Unlife. The way Albert mentions names like HG Wells and Shelley they felt more like people you could bump into on the street or see in the paper, and not names you attribute to dust and cobwebs on long-forgotten bookshelves. ​"Not at all. Literature is a favorite topic of mine, and I appreciate an educated opinion. I'd say I'm in agreement though, dystopian fiction isn't my cup of tea either regardless of the setting." Don't need to give the world creative ideas on how to be an oppressive nightmare future/past/present.

Conner isn't necessarily expecting the compliment from Albert, but it still puffs him up just a bit. "Thank you. The color is more a reflection of the character's alien nature in the book. I admit, the clerical habit looks good on you as well." It gave the 'elder' Kindred an approachable, weathered look. Even as a piece of Conner's conscience squirms at who's wearing the costume. "Kind of...I believe it describes the scope of the story. Emotions are big; battles are big; the stakes are high..." ​Then a though occurs to him: could the word 'stake' be considered a trigger word in Kindred circles? He pauses a bit to observe Albert's reaction to see if this theory has any backing in their current conversation.

6. Likes liked this post
    Status
    (Acknowledged)
    Albert Baker

PRE

Al nodded, as he had been glad to escape the reality of the trenches and the war back in the days. He still wasn't too fond of thinking about these days.

"Yes, I was glad to have that during the terrible times that followed Sarajevo..."

The topic was soon turned to favourite books in combination with science fiction and there he was droning about his favourites.

"Though there is good science fiction. My personal favourite in this regard has always been Jules Verne. Take the Journey to the Centre of the Earth or From the Earth to the Moon, for example. I do think they are excellent books with good stories and while containing fantasy they aren't too fantastic to imagine, if you know what I mean."

He paused and thought for a moment before closing that topic with a remark.

"I'm sounding like one of those 'Verniens'. I apologize should I have bored you."

Raising an eyebrow he nodded as he should have guessed that science fiction about space would have extrraterrestrials in it. Not surprising after all, as nowadys those were what people called a 'fad'.

"Ah, an extraterrestrial, that explains it. Perhaps I should read that book..."

Conners comment on the habit made him smile a little.

"Thank you. My cousin Frank, may he rest in peace, once told me I could make a good minister, but terrible times led to me losing faith and I had a different calling, so nothing came out of it. Sometimes I think he might have been right..."

As he listened he could see a connection to toher works that might be described as such and he raised an eyebrow though it appeared the word 'stake' was no trigger word for him.

"Ah, I see, I think... So it is more an epic like the Trojan War, the Seven Against Thebes, the Odyssey or the Aeneid. Interesting..."

8. Likes liked this post
    Blood & Faith
    Presence
    (Earnest)
    Allies
    (Academia)
    Obfuscate
    (Mask of Tranquility)
    Eidectic Memory
    Conner Wells
    PRP Stats

Combat Stats

PRE

Conner doesn't immediately recognize the reference to 'Sarajevo', but he does catch it as specific and pertinent to Albert. But he holds his tongue, more out of deference but also to allow for some further internal pondering.

​"Jules Verne! I remember reading his books when I was growing up. I loved reading about the dinosaurs in Journey to the Center of the Earth. And look at the influence his stories have had in current fiction..." His response is perhaps a bit loud at first for Court, but Conner's volume adjusts as he measures his excitement. It's almost as if the escapism he and Albert were talking about was immediately there, and Conner was almost about to forget what he is and the long, tormented eternity he has in front of him without...

And then he looks at Baker with a bit of confusion. ​"Vernians? Like Verne superfans?"

Honestly, Conner is a bit surprised to hear Baker show interest in his more 'modern' (read, mid 90's) fiction. ​"You're welcome to borrow it, should you wish." Then the predator becomes warier as Baker talks more about his past, about being close to the faith and then losing it through some happenstance. He's testing you. Pushing your buttons to worm his way into your heart and make you drop your guard. He waits a good moment before responding to Albert, as if weighing his words. "Strange how life takes its turns, isn't it?" Keeping his words neutral, though there is an inquisitive warmth to his expression as if he understands what Albert is getting at.

"That's...actually a very good comparison. I don't know if I've ever thought of it in those terms before, but I think you're right." The thought of a metal-plated trojan horse in Star Wars does fill Conner's mind with fantastical ideas.

Blood & Faith
    Presence
    (Earnest)
    Allies
    (Academia)
    Obfuscate
    (Mask of Tranquility)
    Eidectic Memory
    Conner Wells
    PRP Stats

Combat Stats

PRE

My apologies, closing thread due to Court closing. Thanks for the fun social interaction!

Closed Thread