Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Ended
Watch
1 - 10
DISPLAYED
(2210) Speakers' thread

Oct 1, 2022 : (2210) Consilium
This is for adding a Search Category to the thread.

Note:
This is NOT a Notification for another member.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last

This is for the official business and those weighing in on those for the current Consilium.

2. Likes liked this post
    Presence
    Status (academic)
    Corn

Nimbus: Light purple aura and a scent of freshly dug earth after a rain.
    Status (Academics) 1.
    Corn Scenes

Duplication cost
      Analyze life
     Improvised out-of-path, 

PRE

Continued from (2210) Consilium...

"Dear colleagues, last month, Councilor Phoenyx , Neokoros Belle and I met with a cabal of Apostates called the Sancta Trinitas in order to deal with some issues between them and the Mysterium Order. During the negotiations, the Apostates mentioned they are here in order to investigate for the potential existence of Scelesti, mages that bow down to the Abyss. While the Sancta Trinitas -as Apollo and Councilor Aurora have mentioned - are not allied with the Consilium in any way, nor they are recognized and as Aurora mentioned at least Magus Nursiae seems to be quite peculiar, they are not declared enemies either.
    The Nephandi are enemies, unquestionably. The potential presence of an evil mage serving the Abyss, or more, presents a danger to this consilium and as importantly, it is our duty to take him down. Neokoros Belle has the contact information of the Sancta Trinitas although so far they haven't made any effort to work with us to hunt down the Scelesti.

Since there are enemy mages that can easily see the Circle and walk in from the front door, and First Arrow Phoenyx cannot always be in the grounds, I have suggested in a previous meeting that we should assist her in guarding the Circle at all hours.
    "

Corn looks around and then steps to his seat, waiting to see what the other councilors would say or suggest.
    For scene effects, see Minisheet. No monthly rituals at this time.
    Occult 4 because Mysterium is about the knowledge!

4. Likes liked this post
    Aurora
    Spells
    Striking Looks
    (Riveting)
    Presence
    (Confident)
    Fame
    (Entertainment)
    Madison Cross
    (Sleeper ID)
    Gnosis
    Aurora
    Aurora

Dedicated Magical Tool

Multicolored copper bracelet with intricate loops winding around her right wrist.
    Nimbus

The sweet, fragrant smells of roses mixed with lilacs emanate from her as she casts magic. The scent intensifies, bordering on intoxicating, when Life magic is cast. When Aurora casts Vulgar magic, the scent takes a nasty turn, to the putrid, nauseating odor of a rotting corpse. The stronger the magic, the more those around want to retch at the smell.
    Monthly Spells

Monthly spells done on character sheet.

Pulse of the Living World[POT 6]
    Organic Resilience[POT 6]
    (PrP Treasure Hunt)

Active Spells: 1/6
    [Detect Substance]Bone
    Personal Spells: 2/3
    Vulgar:
    Mana:6/8
    WP:3

FAME
    +1
    SL
    PRE

She really didn’t want to be doing this. These meetings were always a fucking nightmare. But, whatever. But she decided to remain seated.

“I said where I stand on them, that unless they cause problems, they’re not our problem.” Or unless they caused something to blowup. “I personally have no need to contact them.” They were Awakened in the city who didn’t want the protection of the Circle. So fuck ‘em.

Looking to Phoenyx, “What type of protections does the Circle already have in place?” were there wards? “I think knowing where, and if, we have weak points is the easiest way to handle it.” She had no problem helping her friend. But she wanted to know what was needed first.

6. Likes liked this post
    Rose Among Thorns
    Matriarch
    Presence
    (Friendly)
    Direction Sense
    (I Know The Way)
    Danger Sense
    (Spidey Adjacent)
    Occultation
    (Blinded by Thorns)
    Belle

Nimbus: Cracks in space appear just over her skin, shaped like toothy, hellish maws. If she's extra and especially angry, those maws will speak.
    PRP Stats

2/5 Personal Spells
    *Incognito Presence (1 suxx)
    1/3 Vulgar Spells
    Health
    Mana: 9/9
    WP: 2/3

Equipment: Knife, Minivan, Shoulder Bag (magnifying glass, flashlight, plastic gloves), Smartphone, Wallet ($50), Artifact (see minisheet)
    Combat Stats

Defense: 2 (Wits/Dex)
    Initiative: 4
    Speed: 9

OCC
    PRE

Belle steps forward and turns to face her friends. Her home. Her voice echoes out with confidence. ​"As far as the Sancta Trinitas are concerned, we're on good terms. They're more interested in their own agenda than causing problems. Like Corn said, the Cabal has my number so if/when they want to reach out for anything, then I'll be the first point-of-contact." It sounds official, at least in her head. Really she's cobbling together bits and pieces of how to stand/look/speak from others she's seen.

"Before we go too far, I'd also like to formally announce that Crystal has graciously offered the role of Mastigos Counsilor to me, and I've accepted." She makes a special effort to look at her fellow Counselors to gauge their reactions. "I look forward to serving with you all in this new capacity. But know that I'll still be the same gal you know, just answering more official emails." Throwing out a bit of humor to ease her own mind and hopefully put the rest of the room at ease. Good tempers are always needed here.

Already she's beginning to like the train of thought that Aurora is bringing. ​"Between the different Arcana we've all studied, I'm sure we can fortify any wards that might need repair. Though I'll definitely defer to Counsilor Phoenyx here, as our resident defense expert." She looks over to Phoenyx with a warm, confidant smile. She really does trust the First Arrow to protect their home.

Presence (Focused)
    Trained Observer
    Dexterity (Lithe)
    Phoenyx
    Spells and Gear

Monthly rits (cloaked):
    Supernal Vision (Pot 6)
    2E Life Shield (Pot 5)

Gear: Smartphone, Pistol (Beretta M92, +2 lethal), pair of daggers, tonfa, Reinforced Leather trenchcoat (1/0), motorcycle (street bike)
    Phoenyx

Nimbus: a pair of fiery scarlet wings unfurl her with an eagle's screech.
    Plot Stats

Def - 6 (4 Dex+Life/2)
    Armour - 3/2 (Life/2, Trenchcoat)
    Health: Matriarch - 1B/7
    Willpower 3/3
    Vulgars Cast: 0
    Personal Spells 2/3
    [6] Supernal Vision (Monthly Ritual)
    [5$] 2E Life Shield (Monthly Ritual)
    Active spells: 3/7
    [3$] Complex Transmission

Gear: Smartphone, Pistol (Beretta M92, +2 lethal), 2 spare clips, pair of daggers (one is magical focus), Reinforced Leather trenchcoat (1/0), Purse ($57, gun permit, driving license)

PRE

"The Cabal has three member we know of - Nursiae, the mage Councilor Corn originally encountered. Caucasian, dark hair, in his thirties or early forties. Hipponensis, a rough-looking Latino of average height in his twenties, and Euphema, a rugged blonde Caucasian female also in her thirties," Phoenyx added. "They have not requested Hospitality and as the Circle is the only official territory currently recognized, provided they stay outside of the area surrounding the Circle I see no reason to engage them further at this time."

The Arrow looks to Belle at her announcement thoughtfully. Maybe Crystal was tired of being in the middle. She would congratulate Belle - only being a Councilor was rarely a cause for congratulation nowadays. No doubt someone would say something.

She looks from Belle to Aurora and back again. "The Circle has wards to prevent scrying that seem to be tied directly to the location - though if that is the building or one of the magical sources I do not know for sure. They have been in place since before I arrived. Similarly the ward to conceal the rue appearance of Circle from Sleepers is present which has never fallen. As far as I am aware, no-one has attempted to erect other forms of warding - possibly because it would require conditions to permit entry to the Circle for new arrivals." The pauses, thinking. "There was a point where some more technologically minded individuals sought to set up mundane security systems in the Circle, although the mage that was doing so has been gone for a considerable time so I have no idea if those are active or salvageable. It is why I have been using the Circle as my place of residence so I am usually on hand, but I would be agreeable to arranging more people for watching the Circle or patrolling. Or, if anyone wishes to learn more defensive techniques, I am happy to train with them, both physically and magically."

There was something aboutthe threat of the Sceleti that sounded enticing - it had been a long time since she had fought a mage directly.
    Obrimos Adamantine Arrow, Cloaked Monthly Rits (in minisheet)

9. Likes , liked this post
    Presence
    Status (academic)
    Corn

Nimbus: Light purple aura and a scent of freshly dug earth after a rain.
    Status (Academics) 1.
    Corn Scenes

Duplication cost
      Analyze life
     Improvised out-of-path, 

PRE

Belle was a councilor? Corn is torn between happy for Belle for stepping up and disappointed with Crystal that further surrenders to inactivity and sloth. He has tried speaking to his fellow mage and all it got them was Crystal leaving the Mysterium. It seems odd that mages can do everything they can imagine but defeating themselves seem to be the most difficult. Corn could, literally, reproduce the Circle of Creation with all its enchantments - if there was room to put it that is - and he couldn't convince Crystal to do anything about his mage life. On the plus side, Belle was active and enthusiastic. If Crystal wanted to remain useless on the sidelines, then the Mastigos could do worse than the bubbly neokoros. Which reminded him that the Mysterium again has three councilors. To be honest, it was the job of the Hierophants to look for political power so he didn't bother too much with it.

His thoughts and disappointment about Crystal aside, he gave Belle a warm smile. Phoenyx took the stage and covered... more or less what needed to be covered about the Sancta Trinitas. Once the First Arrow finished, he decided to speak again.
    " I have things to say but I wouldn't forgive myself if I lost the chance to congratulate Belle and the mastigos path of Sacramento, over her increase in rank. Magus Belle, sorry, Councilor Belle, has shown dedication to the mage society, is a stalwart friend, is not risk-averse but neither is she reckless. I look forward to further work with her. I would also like to thank Councilor Crystal for filling up the role up to this moment. " There is some bitterness in his heart over his friend's stubborn dedication to stasis but it is not in his words or voice. Then he returns to Belle.
    "Councilor Belle, we all expect great things from you and you have my sincere best wishes and congratulations."

Man+SF to hide that he's disappointed with Crystal.
    3 successes

"To return to the burning matter at hand, the possible presence of Scelesti here, my main concerns are not with the wards in place. The problem is that a Scelestus can walk in here, like this moment, with hands in pockets and introduce himself as a member of the Pentacle. It is not an exactly well kept secret that our background checks before recognition leave a lot to be desired. Hopefully the Nephandi, if there are any in Sacramento, do not know how easy it is to infiltrate us.
    Furthermore, wards against scrying won't stop a scelestus from sending spirits to spy on us, or ghosts. Or Seers for that matter.
    We are practically sitting ducks. And as Councilor Phoenyx said, wards that stop mages we don't know from coming, would block newcomers too. So, despite my reluctance to embrace such means, I have to say: Offense is the best defense.
    I believe we should try to track down the Scelesti and eliminate them. We all have friends and loved ones that are sleepers. I don't want them to fall prey to the abyss any more than I want them to become puppets of the Seers.

In the meantime, I would suggest we utilize our strengths. With your permission, Councilor Phoenyx, I would like to put a couple of suggestions.
    Councilor Aurora could you perhaps defend the circle from spirits sent to spy on us?
    Councilor Puck could you perhaps look into the future to see if the Circle will be attacked by Scelesti in the near-future? If not, and you need sympathetic connections, do you have any idea of what you may need so we could try to provide it?
    Censor Zeromancer , can you defend the circle from ghosts sent to spy on us in some way? Wards or simply instruct a ghost to look out for prying eyes? If not, we have enough moros to arrange something like showing up every once a while in the circle and checking for ghosts.

There are a lot of angles to cover and skilled and powerful as Councilor Phoenyx is, it is next to impossible for a single person to watch the entire Circle for intrusions 24/7.

Of course, what I said are mere suggestions. I would trust the wisdom of the First Arrow and veterans of the Time War before my own subject in this manner.
    "
    For scene effects, see Minisheet. No monthly rituals at this time.
    Occult 4 because Mysterium is about the knowledge!

11. Likes liked this post
    Aurora
    Spells
    Striking Looks
    (Riveting)
    Presence
    (Confident)
    Fame
    (Entertainment)
    Madison Cross
    (Sleeper ID)
    Gnosis
    Aurora
    Aurora

Dedicated Magical Tool

Multicolored copper bracelet with intricate loops winding around her right wrist.
    Nimbus

The sweet, fragrant smells of roses mixed with lilacs emanate from her as she casts magic. The scent intensifies, bordering on intoxicating, when Life magic is cast. When Aurora casts Vulgar magic, the scent takes a nasty turn, to the putrid, nauseating odor of a rotting corpse. The stronger the magic, the more those around want to retch at the smell.
    Monthly Spells

Monthly spells done on character sheet.

Pulse of the Living World[POT 6]
    Organic Resilience[POT 6]
    (PrP Treasure Hunt)

Active Spells: 1/6
    [Detect Substance]Bone
    Personal Spells: 2/3
    Vulgar:
    Mana:6/8
    WP:3

FAME
    +1
    SL
    PRE

So, Crystal didn’t want to be Councilor? Interesting. Though, she didn’t blame him. They all went into with stars in their eyes, thinking they were the one to truly help and make a difference. And seemed Belle had those stars right now.

A smile was offered to Belle, “Looking forward to working with you.” And she was, Belle had a good head on her shoulders.

To Phoenyx, “Things have been in place even since I arrived in Sacramento, and I haven’t heard of any direct attacks on it.” But hearing the Arrows stance, she felt more at ease offering to help, “I’ll do some patrols as well.” Might as well help.

Back to Corn, “There have many numerous times when an attack would have been beneficial to them, and yet, they haven’t. No matter what, there will always be the threat of them walking in.” was Corn just fucking paranoid to the max?

“I don’t see that was being a wise move. You are asking us to pick a fight where one isn’t at this point.” No Corn, YOU have loved ones who are Sleepers. “We are a small Consilium, you are asking others to put their lives on the line for a threat we don’t know is actually there. You have the word of some random Cabal. There will always be those out to harm us and what we have built here, in every city, at any time. What makes them so different?” she knew they were bad and only meant trouble. But she was not about to pick a fight for no damn reason.

Sighing, “Spirits and I haven’t had the best relationship, and I haven’t perfected other Arcana I would need to fully defend against them. I can talk to them, but I don’t know of many Spirits that reside here.” Not that she had ever really looked. And why was the Time War always brought up, the mention obviously making her uncomfortable.

13. Likes , liked this post
    Presence
    Striking Looks
    (Snarky)
    Puck

Nimbus

Winds blow around the mage, varying in intensity depending on the spell and parting abruptly after.
    Puck Scenes

+1
    SL
    PRE

Puck was hearing nothing he cared to. Corn was fully immersed in paranoid delusions and Crystal somehow found a way to be even less productive then he already was.

"None of this is our problem unless hospitality is invoked."

Might as well get that out of the way up front.

"I'm not doing anything because you've provided nothing but hearsay from a foreign cabal to indicate a possible threat in the city. I've seen nothing that indicates scelesti and seers and such can find the Circle and am not aware of any attacks on the building that leave me to believe it's a concern we need to have. Kicking the bees nest seems like a good way to test that though, so I won't be doing anything to assist with your witch hunt."

You know what is the Council's problem though?

"Had Belle been appointed Councilor at the time her information was exchanged with the foreign cabal? Because we voted four to one against appointing a herald and now you're telling us she went behind the councils back and operated in that capacity when two existing councilors were present to fulfill official obligations?"

This shit right here is another reason why Puck couldn't stand Corn and his cabal of dickishness. They bicker and argue and waste everyone's time making their points over and over and if they don't like the answer? They just fuck off and do whatever anyways. Waste of everyone's time when he isn't just operating in blatant bad faith.

Presence (Focused)
    Trained Observer
    Dexterity (Lithe)
    Phoenyx
    Spells and Gear

Monthly rits (cloaked):
    Supernal Vision (Pot 6)
    2E Life Shield (Pot 5)

Gear: Smartphone, Pistol (Beretta M92, +2 lethal), pair of daggers, tonfa, Reinforced Leather trenchcoat (1/0), motorcycle (street bike)
    Phoenyx

Nimbus: a pair of fiery scarlet wings unfurl her with an eagle's screech.
    Plot Stats

Def - 6 (4 Dex+Life/2)
    Armour - 3/2 (Life/2, Trenchcoat)
    Health: Matriarch - 1B/7
    Willpower 3/3
    Vulgars Cast: 0
    Personal Spells 2/3
    [6] Supernal Vision (Monthly Ritual)
    [5$] 2E Life Shield (Monthly Ritual)
    Active spells: 3/7
    [3$] Complex Transmission

Gear: Smartphone, Pistol (Beretta M92, +2 lethal), 2 spare clips, pair of daggers (one is magical focus), Reinforced Leather trenchcoat (1/0), Purse ($57, gun permit, driving license)

PRE

Once again, it was clear that Corn had bounded fifty steps down his path before stopping to consider any problem or alternative.

"Councillor, you seem to be trying to get us to address several baseless hypotheticals. You suggest background checks into people, but we literally do not share names with one another - only monikers and Shadow Names - to protect ourselves and those close to us. The Orders are literally secret societies, with an emphasis on "Secret". As Councilors Aurora and Puck say," she gestures to them in turn, "we have no firm evidence that there are Scelesti actually here or where we might look for such an investigation. Assuming the Sanca Trinitas were truthful with us, they have been in the area for almost a year without successfully locating a Scelesti - only someone afflicted by the Abyss, which does not prove their theory of Abyssal Magi. I cannot agree that Offence is the best defense in this case. We must be patient and wait for our enemy to reveal themselves, be they Scelesti, Seer or other force."

He did have some important points, however, and the Arrow looks around all the assembled mages. "However, that does not mean we cannot prepare some additional defense. If there are those in the Concillium that would be willing to prepare defense against spirits or ghosts, I believe that would be helpful. Especially due to the multiple encounters members of the Concillium have had with spirits of the area in recent years."

There was a small shrug as Puck began preparing new accusations. "I was not aware that Belle had been made Councilor until today. Councilor Corn suggested she offer contact details." Literally what happened - though the Arrow had a feeling this was about to turn into an accusation of ignoring obligations.
    Obrimos Adamantine Arrow, Cloaked Monthly Rits (in minisheet)

16. Likes liked this post
    Rose Among Thorns
    Matriarch
    Presence
    (Friendly)
    Direction Sense
    (I Know The Way)
    Danger Sense
    (Spidey Adjacent)
    Occultation
    (Blinded by Thorns)
    Belle

Nimbus: Cracks in space appear just over her skin, shaped like toothy, hellish maws. If she's extra and especially angry, those maws will speak.
    PRP Stats

2/5 Personal Spells
    *Incognito Presence (1 suxx)
    1/3 Vulgar Spells
    Health
    WP: 2/3

Equipment: Knife, Minivan, Shoulder Bag (magnifying glass, flashlight, plastic gloves), Smartphone, Wallet ($50), Artifact (see minisheet)
    Combat Stats

Defense: 2 (Wits/Dex)
    Initiative: 4
    Speed: 9

OCC
    PRE

And we're off...

Belle tries her hardest to keep a straight face (which for her means a smile) while ideas and possibilities fly. She has to admit Corn does love going above and beyond; he clearly loves the Circle and wants to protect it by any means necessary. But we can't go hunting an enemy we don't know is an enemy yet. "If the Sancta Trinitas need our help dealing with the Scelesti, then we have the channels for them to reach out. Until then, we don't know if the Scelesti want to attack us or anybody else, or if they've since moved on." She makes a special nod towards Phoenyx's suggestion of bolstering Circle defenses. "But even if we don't have an immediate threat, it does make sense to make the most of our downtime by shoring up defenses just in case. Better safe than sorry." There; a happy middle ground.

And all of a sudden that happy middle ground caves in.

Belle faces Puck's accusation and there's a simmering heat in her eyes as she struggles to keep her hands from closing into fists.
    Bethebiggerwoman. Bethebiggerwoman. Bethebiggerwoman. "I was present. I offered to exchange information as point of contact. Both Counsilor's present did not disagree." You know what, 'ef it! "Both Counsilor's present trusted me with that task. And then I was trusted to represent the Mastigoi. Those decisions were separate from the earlier proposal for Herald." Her voice is level but the friendly bounciness in her tone drops. "If you want to suggest I would have the gall to go behind my friend's backs to secure power, Counsilor Puck..."

Fingers curl. The whispers in her head grow louder. Her weight shifts as if she's about to take a step forward...

She stops.
    No. This will NOT be another shitshow. ​"...know that I will not tolerate such accusations without reprisal. Nor will I tolerate a lack of respect towards the other members of this Council who want to protect their friends and home just as much as you do. You have a problem with me, take it outside. But in here, we're going to work together." Her expression relaxes somewhat. She knows that several of her good friends and Counsilors have put focus on avoiding mud-slinging, but Belle isn't about to shy away from putting her foot down. For everything she likes about Crystal, she knows he's laid back. She isn't. Time for a new Mastigos voice to join the fray.

Having said her piece, Belle shifts her weight back. Though her smile isn't back just yet.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
Closed Thread