Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Ended
Watch

Who's On First?

THREADID
DISPLAYED
This is for adding a Search Category to the thread.

Note:
This is NOT a Notification for another member.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    Rose Among Thorns
    Matriarch
    Presence
    (Friendly)
    Direction Sense
    (I Know The Way)
    Danger Sense
    (Spidey Adjacent)
    Occultation
    (Blinded by Thorns)
    Belle

Nimbus: Cracks in space appear just over her skin, shaped like toothy, hellish maws. If she's extra and especially angry, those maws will speak.
    PRP Stats

2/5 Personal Spells
    *Incognito Presence (1 suxx)
    1/3 Vulgar Spells
    Health
    Mana: 9/9
    WP: 2/3

Equipment: Knife, Minivan, Shoulder Bag (magnifying glass, flashlight, plastic gloves), Smartphone, Wallet ($50), Artifact (see minisheet)
    Combat Stats

Defense: 2 (Wits/Dex)
    Initiative: 4
    Speed: 9

OCC
    PRE

"Ow!"

Belle pulls back her finger and sucks on it, waving a match in her other hand as she recovers from overzealously lighting a scented candle. Chamomile; not for anything magical, just for soothing ambience. Hopefully to help this exchange be a bit less heated than the last one. At least internally.

Belle steps back from the counter with the candle now spreading its aroma across the room. The living room was cleared of extraneous books and the pigeons were even behaving; cooing softly after being well fed and sung to. Yes, she's gotten to the point of singing to them. Belle's always had a soft spot for animals.

After making sure she isn't irreparably burnt, Belle checks her watch and absently runs her fingers over a wine glass. Crystal should be here any minute...
    Crystal

2. Likes liked this post
    Striking Looks
    (Captivating)
    Manipulation
    (Disarming)
    Resources
    Barfly
    Eidetic Memory
    Crystal

Nimbus

Walls and the Floor become slightly tilted, there's a sickly sweet and sharp smell in the air. Faintly, the sound chains (and even fainter: the sound of leather) can be heard. More powerful spells make the sounds more pronounced and colors seem to pulsate.
    Active Stats

Astral Dive II
    Health:
    Mana:
    WP:
    Armor 0
    Defense 2

Vulgar +/-0
    Active Spells: 1/4
    Personal Spells: 1

[2] Third Eye
    [4R] Misperception

+1
    SL
    PRE

He was apprehensive to visit Mystagogues at first. Corn might have spared him the speech, but he had the sinking feeling that Belle might just lay it down on him.
    That, or she might have thought about becoming Councilor. So it was a toss-up, and a chance he was willing to take.

He parked his car outside the communal living space she inherited from Kaze and walked the rest of the way. He was surprisingly sober today, but he was very much willing to change that as the night went on.

Knocking on the door he waited for his host to let him in. When Belle opened the door he would give her a lopsided smile. "Heya, how you doing?"
    Health: Willpower: Mana:

4. Likes liked this post
    Rose Among Thorns
    Matriarch
    Presence
    (Friendly)
    Direction Sense
    (I Know The Way)
    Danger Sense
    (Spidey Adjacent)
    Occultation
    (Blinded by Thorns)
    Belle

Nimbus: Cracks in space appear just over her skin, shaped like toothy, hellish maws. If she's extra and especially angry, those maws will speak.
    PRP Stats

2/5 Personal Spells
    1/3 Vulgar Spells
    Health

Equipment: Knife, Minivan, Shoulder Bag (magnifying glass, flashlight, plastic gloves), Smartphone, Wallet ($50), Artifact (see minisheet)
    Combat Stats

OCC
    PRE

The knock, a lazy but pointed rap-a-rap on the door That's gotta be him brings Belle to the door. And there was no mistaking that Crystal has arrived. "Hey you! Come on in, I've got good vibes and better liquids."

She invites Crystal into the apartment and makes a move through the aromatic space to the kitchen. "I figured this would be a day for some refreshment, so take your pick." She opens a cabinet and sets out a couple of wine glasses and a few smaller glasses for mixed drinks. She also gestures to the fridge. "Me casa et su casa. Just let me know if you want anything hot." She takes picks up her own steaming cup of a lavender tea and sips as she walks out into the living room space and sits on the couch, leaving room for her visitor to sit on the other side.

"So...I guess we should just get the elephant out of the room first thing." She looks up at Crystal, her expression softening with just a hint of disappointment weighing it down like molasses. ​"I'm sure you've already talked to Corn about leaving the Mysterium. I'm sure there's a lot of history that's led up to that choice, but I'm going to trust that you've got good reasons and that you're not just quitting town." Those last two words jump out as if unplanned, and Belle actually looks a bit surprised at herself. "What I mean is you don't have to go into detail if you don't want to. You're a grown-ass man and a Mastigos to boot: you've got the brain power to make solid decisions."

She sits back and gives time for herself to digest what she's putting out and what Crystal responds with.

6. Likes liked this post
    Striking Looks
    (Captivating)
    Manipulation
    (Disarming)
    Resources
    Barfly
    Eidetic Memory
    Crystal

Nimbus

Walls and the Floor become slightly tilted, there's a sickly sweet and sharp smell in the air. Faintly, the sound chains (and even fainter: the sound of leather) can be heard. More powerful spells make the sounds more pronounced and colors seem to pulsate.
    Active Stats

Astral Dive II
    Health:
    Mana:
    WP:
    Armor 0
    Defense 2

Vulgar +/-0

[2] Third Eye
    [4R] Misperception

+1
    SL
    PRE

Despite him expecting how this might go, Belle's optimism was kinda infectious. Crystal's smile grew a bit more sincere for a moment and he entered. He knew the layout of the place too well by now, after several deep exchanges with Kaze and the attempt to form a Cabal. That still stung a bit. "Scented candles? Are you trying to woo me?" He cracked a lame joke while helping himself to a glass of wine before he joined Belle on the couch.

Damn, that Warlock was quick to be direct. Then again, that was what Crystal liked about her. And her mentioning leaving Sacramento all-together made him took a sip and shrug. Her questions were fair though, so he decided to humor her. "I don't know. You know how being a member of an Order should be a big deal? Like even if the Mysterium technically allowed me to be there without doing much of anything and even if Corn has this educational approach of praising even the small things - I just felt like owning a membership card to a club I related less and less to. So I felt it was more decent to just leave. You know, not string anyone along." Funny how that made it sound like was in a poly relationship with every Mystagogue.

"I won't leave her, though." He had no real plans to do so. Although, apparently the winds of change blew strongly in Sacramento, so who knew.

8. Likes liked this post
    Rose Among Thorns
    Matriarch
    Presence
    (Friendly)
    Direction Sense
    (I Know The Way)
    Danger Sense
    (Spidey Adjacent)
    Occultation
    (Blinded by Thorns)
    Belle

PRP Stats

2/5 Personal Spells
    1/3 Vulgar Spells
    Health

Combat Stats

OCC
    PRE

Belle's thankful for once to have Crystal's quick wit. She gives him a toothy smile. "What? Nooooooo. Can't a gal just have candles out for a friend?" She chuckles warmly. "Nice choice by the way." She gestures towards the wine bottle Crystal chooses. ​"Got that locally made. I'm sure there's something out there about bird moms turning to wine."

Crystal doesn't seem to be scared off by her direct approach; and his shrug seems more out of reassurance than nonchalance. Still, that doesn't stop her from sitting on the edge of her seat with anticipation. "Actually, I hadn't. Corn and I talked about some other things, but you're the first person I heard it from." Does she expect Crystal to be proud of that? Perhaps. Wanting to hear the story from the horses' mouth. "I can see that..." She swirls her tea around just a bit and looks into the glass as if it might divine something. "...I was born into the Mysterium; or Awoken into. I guess I've just never thought of a life outside it in some way other than my day-to-day mundane life." The word 'mundane' causes the edges of her mouth to crook upward in a smile at the pun. "And yeah, Corn's welcoming to a fault. I've come to realize that now. Though I'm not too sure he's beyond hope. I can definitely see his passion for the Order." Funny how a Magus with such an unassuming name can carry such a loud, dominant personality. And somehow not be a complete asshole.

She sips her tea, having divined only that she's thirsty. "I'm glad." ​Hearing Crystal's intentions to stay brings a noticeable physical change to the Mastigos. Her shoulders relax and she scoots back of the edge of her seat. What would she have done if he'd said otherwise? Best not to dwell on 'what-ifs'. "Obviously I'll have things I can't be as honest about as I'd like with you, but know that I've got your back. Warlock to Warlock." She raises a friendly toast, pinky extended, for Crystal.

"So, I got any major designs going forward? I've been thinking about the whole Herald proposal last month. I can see why it makes sense to hold off right now, but I want to get more involved in things. Set some groundwork for taking a position like that in the future. What do you think?" She looks at Crystal's warm, querying eyes, clearly eager for his input.

Striking Looks
    (Captivating)
    Manipulation
    (Disarming)
    Resources
    Barfly
    Eidetic Memory
    Crystal

Nimbus

Active Stats

Astral Dive II
    Health:
    Mana:
    WP:
    Armor 0
    Defense 2

Vulgar +/-0

[2] Third Eye
    [4R] Misperception

+1
    SL
    PRE

"Guess I'm just not gay enough to get the candle shit. But suit yourself." And no shit, of course Crystal had a good hand when it came to wine. He gracefully took Belle's compliment and dutifully chuckled at her little bird-quib.

He remembered her talking about her family and a bit of her past from the time he had acknowledged her into the city. So yeah, little surprise here. "I don't know." Taking a sip of wine, leaning back to sit a bit more comfortable. "See it doesn't really seem like you were given a choice. Or maybe it was coincidentally just a very natural fit. My Mentor took me up and introduced me to the Order shortly after.. well, I haven't really known any other Order, really. And I get that we're big into tradition and stuff, but that seems so.. deterministic, you know what I mean? I don't want to be just a number." Because frankly, Corn seemed also a bit excited about the Mysterium having such a strong presence in Sacramento.

Crystal raised an eyebrow to Belle's confession. What a weird flex to tell a Mastigos that you're choosing to keep secrets. "Gee. Thanks, I guess."
    The dreaded question of what he was planning to do was answered with him emptying his drink. Much like Belle's divination, there were no answers to be found at the bottom of his glass. "Frankly, I don't know. I guess I thought I could make a difference with the other guys, but all of them have jumped ship since then." His voice went up at the end of the sentence, as if he was telling his fellow Warlock an amusing fact instead of a bitter truth. "As for you? I think you can absolutely get more involved, although I wouldn't be gunning for the office that has been clearly and almost unanimously gotten rid of. You don't need a title to get shit done."
    He looked her over, then grinned. "Although I was wondering if I could get you to take the office of the Mastigos Councilor."

11. Likes liked this post
    Rose Among Thorns
    Matriarch
    Presence
    (Friendly)
    Direction Sense
    (I Know The Way)
    Danger Sense
    (Spidey Adjacent)
    Occultation
    (Blinded by Thorns)
    Belle

PRP Stats

2/5 Personal Spells
    1/3 Vulgar Spells
    Health

Combat Stats

OCC
    PRE

Belle ruminates on Crystal's perception of their histories and the Order they'd shared. One hand over the rim of the teacup as if trying to anchor herself to its warmth and calm. I could be an ass and go on a wild tangent about fate and predetermination...but I don't want to be an ass right now. "Camponella, right? He must've been a really cool guy." Especially since he'd basically brought both of them into Sacramento at different times. "I can relate to that; the Orders can be kind of isolationist. But not here though, it seems like everybody wants to treat others as people and not walking banners." She smiles softly. "That why I like it here. The Orders feel less like hard factions and more like schools. And even then, more like nice schools with free snacks and open visiting hours." On Crystal not wanting to be 'just a number' Belle looks at him with a surprised air. "You? Oh honey, you're the whole calculator. Anybody who tries putting you in a box is just asking to be proven wrong." She chuckles.

To Crystal's raised eyebrow, Belle gives him a friendly eye roll.
    "I mean work stuff. You're lucky you postponed your departure long enough to hear about the Choker." She flinches just a bit. "Which I trust you not to blab about to other Magi."

Belle hasn't planned on her question to prompt such a drastic answer from Crystal, and she stops just short of warning him about chugging his wine all in one go.
    Damn! He's really been thinking about this. Then he mentions the Cabal. "Was that Kaze's idea? Do you think that's something you'd want to try again here? I can think of a few Magi who'd jump at the chance of working closely with you." Herself included. But maybe she was jumping the gun just a bit.

She was...by a long shot.

Belle hears the word 'Counsilor' and immediately stiffens, jaw dropping in surprise.
    "Seriously? Me?" She shakes her head. "I mean, it does make sense given that there's only two of us right now. But you really..." She stops herself. Of course Crystal trusts me! He wouldn't have suggested otherwise. "...I mean. Got any good pointers?" And just like that she jumps headfirst into the deep end. She's made up her mind; it's no longer just Crystal's suggestion, it's her new reality. Mastigos Counsilor.

13. Likes liked this post
    Striking Looks
    (Captivating)
    Manipulation
    (Disarming)
    Resources
    Barfly
    Eidetic Memory
    Crystal

Nimbus

Active Stats

Astral Dive II
    Health:
    Mana:
    WP:
    Armor 0
    Defense 2

Vulgar +/-0

[2] Third Eye
    [4R] Misperception

+1
    SL
    PRE

Crystal blinked a few times in confusion. "Campanella?" The ex-Hierarch hadn't been around for long after Crystal's arrival here, so it took a few beats before he pieced together what Belle meant. "Oh. No, I was talking about my Mentor back in San Francisco." A shrug to show her that there wasn't really much more to that. Yup.

He actually had to chuckle at her compliment - clumsy as the wordplay might be, she at least had the wit to try. "Appreciate the sentiment, but I also can't shake the feeling that you're still trying to talk me back into the Mysterium." Crystal leaned forward to lend his words a bit more gravity. "You're right, Sacramento is special like that. Doesn't change the fact that I don't feel like I fit in there. I mean, Phoenyx wouldn't mind more Arrows to protect the Consilium, that doesn't mean that I'd be suited for that." But that undeniably positive attitude of hers ultimately prevented him from actually getting annoyed with her. She meant well.

"Don't worry. I'm not the guy to gossip about stuff like that. Even less so since I at least owe you to keep my secrecy." Still, another piece of evidence that his decision was right - the Artifact hasn't been on his mind, ever.
    When she brought Kaze up Crystal broke looked away from her for the first time. Not because that topic was uncomfortable, but because he suddenly was really interested in how Belle decorated the place. "Yeah, that was Kaze's idea. Ever the optimist. I don't know what I'm going to do now, but frankly trying again right now doesn't seem right." It'd also look ridiculous to announce another Cabal right after the first one has failed spectacularly.

When Belle asked for pointers a shit-eating grin appeared on Crystal's face. "Well, pick your battles and brush up your knowledge of the Lex. If you're really up for this you can just go ahead and announce our decision at the next official meeting. And I mean I'm still there if you have any questions."

15. Likes liked this post
    Rose Among Thorns
    Matriarch
    Presence
    (Friendly)
    Direction Sense
    (I Know The Way)
    Danger Sense
    (Spidey Adjacent)
    Occultation
    (Blinded by Thorns)
    Belle

PRP Stats

2/5 Personal Spells
    1/3 Vulgar Spells
    Health

Combat Stats

OCC
    PRE

"Oh?" Belle looks intrigued by the glimpse into Crystal's extended past, but the shrug dissuades her. Another one of those 'another time, another place' kind of deals. Got to be so damn mysterious. She can't be mad though; more likely than not this was just a story not worth telling.

She looks a bit hurt for a second, but relaxes into an apologetic smile.
    "Sorry. I guess you could say I bleed 'Mystagogue'." Belle matches Crystal's lean in. "You and I aren't necessarily peas in a pod, but I think we fit in together just fine. Maybe that's enough for the time being? And hey, better you follow your gut than go with a choice that just makes you miserable." She's bracing for an eventual cold shoulder, but she can't help wanting to make Crystal feel better. It's her curse. Though the mention of Phoenyx prompts a flash of color across her cheeks and Belle finds herself leaning back. ​"Well, I mean...do we really need more Arrows? She's pretty awesome herself."

She gives Crystal a friendly wink. "That's what Mastigoi are for: hoarding personal secrets and digging up everyone else's shit."

Crystal's grin is met by Belle's face and eyes widening like a puppy who's just found out it's playtime. Yep. Full vote of confidence! "Okay, so don't get into trouble unless I have to and know the rules. Sounds doable." Not easy, but doable. But then again, Belle's never been enticed by easy. ​"Really? Because it seems like the going rule has been the Paths don't have to advertise their business in Consilium. Or is that just a loud minority opinion?" She looks to Crystal honestly; she's holding him to that 'answering questions' offer he just gave. "Not gonna lie, the way things have been going I might end up being a tie-breaker between Camp Order and Camp Chaos. Though I guess whoever doesn't get my vote will just have to suck it up." She can't be asked to pick sides just yet. Though Belle has an idea who's opinions might match her own on some given issues.

Striking Looks
    (Captivating)
    Manipulation
    (Disarming)
    Resources
    Barfly
    Eidetic Memory
    Crystal

Nimbus

Active Stats

Astral Dive II
    Health:
    Mana:
    WP:
    Armor 0
    Defense 2

Vulgar +/-0

[2] Third Eye
    [4R] Misperception

+1
    SL
    PRE

"Yeah, I guess we do make a good fit." Belle had a knack for finding uplifting words and her respecting his boundaries also was a huge plus in Crystal's book. Still, after Kaze (and arguably, Guru) he wasn't all that hyped up about creating deep and open friendships. Maybe someday. For now he preferred Aurora's brand of drink-buddies. Which reminded him that it was time for a refill.

Belle's gushing over Phoenyx made Crystal raise an eyebrow. "I guess. Although I doubt she'd be able to single-handedly defend the whole Consilium if anything big were to happen. But maybe you see something in her that I don't?" inquisitively raising his voice just a little bit by the end of the question. Was this simple admiration or something else?

"Well, you're right that the Paths handle things among themselves.. well, among themselves. But I think people should somehow get wind of the fact that I'm no longer the guy to point to when new Warlocks arrive. Also, I think it would kinda ruffle some feathers if you were to just assume my position without addressing it in any way. Like, don't ask for permission or a vote, but just announce the collective decision of us two." He tilted his head slightly sideways and pursed his lips. "But I guess if you preferred that I could tell the other Councilors before the next meeting."
    He had nothing to add to her battle plan when it came to voting. Belle was a smart cookie, she'll learn quickly. "I think you got this."

18. Likes liked this post
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
Closed Thread