Watch

Nos' Garage

THREADID
DISPLAYED
Page 2 of 2 First 1 2
    Presence
    Status (academic)
    Corn

Nimbus: Light purple aura and a scent of freshly dug earth after a rain.
    Status (Academics) 1.
    Corn Scenes

Duplication cost
      Analyze life
     Improvised out-of-path, 

PRE

The what?
    1 success
    I take a -1 penalty because the dialect is a bit rough to get (for the pride) and he doesn't expect fear (for the fear) and is excited to have icecream

Corn at first doesn't see anything too special about what he's doing, aside of the beatings he gets as he wrestles with the Abyss. But something clicks as he watches Nos looking stark.
    Is that... fear? What is she afraid of? It's just ice cream after getting her permission.
    And then Corn realizes that what for him is natural interaction with supernal realms it is not so for others. And that the ability to simply make what he wants could put people on edge. Sure, he made ice cream. But he could as well have made a tank. Not that he can drive a tank, but he can make one.

"I think I will try to remain sober. I have work to do at home and ... " he points to the ice cream, "I have tapped a bit too deeply to risk magicking my way around the house chores."

Then she says something he doesn't quite catch. "Hey, don't call my Necro-sis foolish." he says with a smirk smile. "You honestly don't strike me as a prideful person and certainly not foolish. You were smart enough to take security measures here. "

After he eats some of his own ice cream, which he does find to taste... as he had imagined since that's what he did, he says to Nos,
    "So, Nos, that's my official welcome to Sacramento. Now that you have been with us for a few days, do you have any questions or concerns that you would like to share? "
    For scene effects, see Minisheet. No monthly rituals at this time.
    Occult 4 because Mysterium is about the knowledge!

A'keira Lim
    Striking Looks (Almost Silver Screen)
    Nos

Nimbus:

The smell of gasoline and rubber fills the air. Metal and machinery rattle and feel strained and engines roar to life. Unoccupied vehicles might appear to have shadowy figures within them.

+1
    SL
    PRE

"I don't strike you as prideful or foolish yet," Nos replies with a smirk. "Just you wait; I got my flaws, same as any woman... they're just bein' shy fer the moment."

"I only got one complaint to make: There's a crazy Mystagogue runnin' around, summonin' ice cream from the Abyss."
    Nos winks. She wouldn't rat him out. "Nah, seriously, everyone's been very friendly, present company especially. I haven't got anythin' to gripe about just yet. Same goes fer y'all; If I irritate anyone, just let me know so I can fix it."

The conversation lulls for a moment as Nos sips her moonshine and eats her sorbet. Damn, a few bites in, and she's already forgotten it was conjured from thin air. She feels like she should be able to taste a difference... but then why would she? It's not like the nothingness from whence it came left an aftertaste. Somehow it just felt wrong how mundane the food actually tasted in the end. It wasn't even a criticism against Corn's work or her own tastebuds... more like unease at the way magic worked, and just how easy it was to be ignorant of its presence?

"I do have a question fer you in particular. Yer a matter mage, same as me. How do you recommend I practice? Diving in and doin' chores like you? Readin' up on chemistry and the like? I'll admit, you started talkin' about drawin' in molecules and what-not and it got hard to follow. Or is it somethin' I should just... feel out?" Nos shrugs. "I'll be honest, I was just gonna try to buy a couple used vehicles and just whip out some magic on them to see how far I could push it all. Fix 'em, break 'em, bend 'em into modern art pieces."

Presence
    Status (academic)
    Corn

Status (Academics) 1.
    Corn Scenes

Duplication cost
      Analyze life
     Improvised out-of-path, 

PRE

Corn's eyebrows raise, an interesting question.

"Unfortunately, Matter has very little to do with Chemistry. I am not one of those Mystagogues that scoff at Fallen sciences. But these follow the laws of the Lie, not the laws of the supernal reality we believe in and we draw our magic from. You don't have to know molecules to summon ice cream. In fact, I just broke more or less most laws of modern science, by creating something out of nothing. And gravity... gravity is the one to suffer the most. Even an apprentice of matter can make water dance, create a smiley face in the sink, or even pull up tentacles to beat up people, like Katara from Avatar. "
    Because what is Corn without his 15-years-old tv-show references? Especially when they work so well...

"And from my education, I could tell you more than one reason that this is not possible.
    Your own knowledge of mechanics will probably be much more useful on turning car parts to cars, as I may misstep and create something that doesn't work. But as far as repairing? If you imagine the wrecked car as a 'whole', as a working mechanism and bring your imago over from the Supernal reality, it will get the car fixed. Or you can attach a working dishwasher on that car, if you jury-rig. You don't need to know how these things actually work. It is not science, it is magic.

I have found out, and I have looked into it, that it's not the same method that works for everyone. But practice helps - although it could be dangerous. As a disciple, the dangers are not great, but this will soon change as your connection to the Watchtower grows stronger and the magic you work becomes more powerful. However, the danger of a "modern art piece" car being improperly balanced and landing on you is there. When I first tried to make cake, it was not the Abyss that knocked me out. It was how my body works. And while I could have changed my metabolism with life, and I should have, I simply didn't think of it.
    Magic doesn't come with safety belts. If you turn up your car's acceleration threefold and you can't drive like a racer, you will crash.

You have the privilege of being part of an Order. Give your ordermates a call before you get into some heavy magic so they know to check in on you in half an hour or so. If you form a cabal, perhaps go for that.

Speaking of that... what is your view on cabals? I am not asking you to form a cabal with me at this point as we hardly know each other, but it is something I have been thinking about for some time. So I want to know whether you would consider it for the future. "

Corn is not aware of Nos' background, that example was simply because we talk about magic and cars in a car garage.

A'keira Lim
    Striking Looks (Almost Silver Screen)
    Nos

Nimbus:

The smell of gasoline and rubber fills the air. Metal and machinery rattle and feel strained and engines roar to life. Unoccupied vehicles might appear to have shadowy figures within them.

+1
    SL
    PRE

Nos nods quietly as she listens to Corn, refraining from interrupting the entire time. At a certain point, she puts the moonshine back in her desk, and even finishes the ice cream. She doesn't get up for seconds until Corn has finished. Even then, it is slowly, and with everything he'd said clearly still swimming in her mind.

"So yer sayin' my own understandin' of the Lie might get in the way if I'm not careful. If I let what I 'know' get in the way of what I believe, I can break my own spell." Obviously, she had understood that before, to some degree. Magic 101 was that belief fueled magic. Willpower fueled magic. But until now, Nos hadn't really put together that her own love of cars, and her talent for fixing them, might be at odds with her talent for magic. Until now... well, she'd kind of assumed that they'd be married to one another. It was a light bulb moment, where something that was more or less obvious - that her magic didn't really need to be even remotely related to engineering - suddenly becomes a conscious realization. "Free yer mind, Neo..." Nos mutters with a slight smile before returning her mind to present company. "That's helpful, thank you."

"Views on cabals? Don't really have any, to be honest. I like having friends... but everyone at the Circle seemed pretty friendly anyways. If folks is amenable to helpin' each other out already, I don't really see much need to form one. Especially if the cabal plans to make fancy magic pledges and whatnot." Nos waves her hand dismissively, with her distaste for being beholden to an enchantment obvious. Then her face lightens once more, and she tilts her head to one side as a thought pops into her brain. "'Course, if folks just want to have some kind of structure to pool their time and resources into, yeah, I'm game. It all depends on context. I'm not lookin' to join a group for the sake of bein' in a group. But if the cabal is actually doin' somethin' good for folks? Sign me up. So I guess the question is... what have you been thinkin' the cabal would actually do?"

Presence
    Status (academic)
    Corn

Status (Academics) 1.
    Corn Scenes

Duplication cost
      Analyze life
     Improvised out-of-path, 

PRE

"I am pretty easygoing as far as what goals would be. What I would personally want out from a cabal is to form closer ties to allies that I could trust, that I could socialize with outside of the magic society in a way that it would actually help keep me maintain my secrecy with my sleeper cycle, keeping my mage life and sleeper life separate and even keep an eye on them if something happened to me. What I mean with maintain my secrecy is that one more person in-the-know in my social life could help uphold deceptions. For example if I absolutely have to be away for a week for Mysterium business, someone to help sell whatever lie I would make up to my family to explain why I am away. And if I end up in hospital with gun wounds, someone to maintain my story with the police and sleepers alike. Things like that.

'Doing something good for the folks' is something I am interested in, even outside of a cabal, mind you. I do have some ideas on how to help folk that I want to pass by the entire mage society and there are things I could do singularly, but if you have specific ideas or suggestions I would love to hear them.
    "

Presence
    Status (academic)
    Corn

Status (Academics) 1.
    Corn Scenes

Duplication cost
      Analyze life
     Improvised out-of-path, 

PRE

The month is running out. Are you good to close around here?

Presence
    Status (academic)
    Corn

Status (Academics) 1.
    Corn Scenes

Duplication cost
      Analyze life
     Improvised out-of-path, 

PRE

Apologies, I have forgot to close this one

Page 2 of 2 First 1 2
Closed Thread