Watch
1 - 10
DISPLAYED
(DG) To do some digging.

PRP: A little bit of hocus pocus part 2a
Sep 18, 2022 - Nov 5, 2022
PRP: A little big of Hocus Pocus Part 2b
Sep 18, 2022 - Sep 28, 2022
This is for adding a Search Category to the thread.

Note:
This is NOT a Notification for another member.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last

Bodies have gone missing over the last few months. It started out pretty unremarkable, but the cases increased lately. It apparently wasn't enough to involve Sleeper authorities (or the ones responsible made sure to grease the right palms), but for those looking out for potentially dangerous things it started to become noticeable. Two locations have appeared repeatedly when one started to look into those cases: a local hospital downtown and a smaller morgue by a graveyard in the outer parts of Sacramento.

A small group of Mages got together to look into things - one of them went and looked for answers among the living, the other two tried their luck with the dead.

The local hospital seemed to have been particularly unlucky with what has been happening. But if the Acanthus knew one thing, it was that 'bad luck' wasn't a thing more often than not. How could bodies disappear that often without the authorities noticing? Why hasn't the hospital increased security already? There has got to be someone who knew more than they let on.

Thus, Puck chose a mild evening to drop by the scene of the crimes to ask some questions. It was late enough to slow down the traffic around the hospital - the usual amount of visitors coming and going - but not too late to stretch the suspension of disbelief for any story the Enchanter would have to tell. He had to get to the morgue somehow and/or find a person nice (and knowledgeable) enough to answer him some questions. But there was something else he knew: he was really good at talking.

From what he could tell through the revolving glass entrance the front desk was manned by an indifferent looking nurse. Chances were he could just walk in without being questioned if he didn't want to bother with that one at first.

Puck your plot starts here.
    Please include your active spells, stats, and equipment in each post.

2. Likes liked this post
    Presence
    Striking Looks
    (Snarky)
    Puck

Nimbus

Winds blow around the mage, varying in intensity depending on the spell and parting abruptly after.
    Puck Scenes

+1
    SL
    PRE

Puck arrives at the hospital dressed somewhat informally in a dark blue button down and jeans. Stuff is happening, Puck is curious, and maybe reporting on missing bodies would turn out more exciting then endless jobs reports and economic data he usually did for the Bee.

As he enters the hospital he looks around the main lobby. Partly looking for a map, partly looking at how loose security was at a hospital with missing bodies, but mostly looking for anything out of the ordinary. Puck didn't like hospitals, but he had poked around for Malcolm after the incident at the theater so he had some idea of what to expect. Other then that? He's heading for the front counter.

"Hi." He smiles for the nurse. "My name is Connor Ellis, and I was wondering who I would talk to about the hospital's security."

Gotta be subtle. You don't need to jump straight into 'is a necromancer raising a zombie army in your morgue?'

4 suxx perception
    Date Action Roll Result
    2022-07-14 21:35:34 Puck rolls 8 to Perception (Wits+Comp) (10 Again) 10, 1, 7, 5, 1, 6, 3, 4, 10, 10, 8 4 successes

stats

4. Likes Aeolus liked this post

The positives? There were no obvious signs of anything going awry as far as the entrance lobby or the reception desk are concerned. This could mean that the problems - if there were any - were contained to a smaller part of the hospital.. or that the people responsible for the missing bodies were more capable than your average megalomaniac.

grey-speccled eyebrows went up at Puck's introduction and the matronly nurse shifted her posture into a more active stance. "Excuse me? Why would you want to know about that? Who are you?" Indifferent she might have looked, but her voice sounded firm and awake.

If you want you can give me a (Wits + Empathy) roll to get a cursory read on her.

[spoiler=2+ Successes]If he went by prior experience with people like her, he'd guess that she wouldn't be easy to bullshit.. but she seemed more confused and suspicious than caught red-handed and pushed to the defensive.

Presence
    Striking Looks
    (Snarky)
    Puck

Nimbus

Winds blow around the mage, varying in intensity depending on the spell and parting abruptly after.
    Puck Scenes

+1
    SL
    PRE

So much for subtle.

"Conner Ellis, of the Sacramento Bee. I've already heard that bodies have been going missing from your morgue and wanted to have a conversation with whoever was in charge of security."

The enchanter smiles, gently raising a hand as if to cut off whatever she was saying next.

"I'm hoping that's not the story I need to publish though. I was wondering if I could speak to the head of the security because I want to look for information on who was behind your stolen bodies. With a bit of luck I might even be able to help resolve this issue."

And so he continues beaming at the nurse.

"So what do you say? Let me talk to the people who know about the issue to help resolve it, and in exchange I report favorably on your establishment's cooperation and how active they were in finding this culprit."

Because spoiler alert? Puck isn't well connected in the medical community. If he knows what's happening it's only a matter of time before others do as well. Then the hospitals damage control gets a lot more difficult. Especially given how little he heard was being done about it.

1 suxx empathy and 4 suxx fast talk
    Date Action Roll Result
    2022-07-17 20:52:54 Puck rolls 7 to Forgotten dice (10 Again) 3, 7, 4, 9, 9, 10, 8, 5 4 successes
    2022-07-17 20:52:35 Puck rolls 1 to fast talk (Manip+Persuasion+SL) (10 Again) 1 failure
    2022-07-17 20:51:44 Puck rolls 8 to Read someone (Wits+Empathy) (10 Again) 7, 9, 1, 5, 4, 2, 3, 3 1 success

stats

5 successes

"Are you trying to intimidate me?" Her eyes narrowed a bit as she was processing what Puck was telling her. "I have no clue where you've got the idea that bodies have gone missing and frankly, you sound like you're just hunting for a story here." She didn't sound as sure of this as she would have liked. It sounded pretty much like someone who had their treasured values attacked and is lashing out without thinking much about it.
    That might be a familiar notion for Puck.

But if that hunch was right and she really did care about what was actually going on here then there might be an avenue to push.

Presence
    Striking Looks
    (Snarky)
    Puck

Nimbus

Puck Scenes

(Perfect timing and WP on persuasion)Mana 1 Willpower Spent
    +1
    SL
    PRE

Huh...

Well Puck couldn't say this was a situation he was used to. He blinked for a second, mouth a agape for a fleeting few seconds as he formulated a response. As he cleared his throat a golden glyph sparked into being as he peaked into his future for the perfect time to speak.

"Not at all. I'm simply offering my services. I've heard that this is happening here, and I have some connections through the city that the hospital might be able to take advantage of."
    Also magic. Lots of magic. "Just because I'm looking for a story doesn't mean you and your colleagues can't benefit. And I doubt very much anyone wants an institution as important as your hospital to have anything less then the best light shined on it. If it's known you took the initiative in looking into the matter, that can only look good right?"

Hospitals are important. This guy just wants to help. Also maybe stop the zombie apocalypse. All good intentions here.

2 suxx perfect timing, 5 suxx persuasion
    Date Action Roll Result
    2022-07-20 21:25:28 Puck rolls 12 to be even more persuasive (Manip+Pers+2PT) (10 Again, WillPower) 6, 10, 4, 9, 2, 9, 5, 7, 1, 9, 6, 8, 5 5 successes
    2022-07-20 21:24:12 Puck rolls 6 to Imp Perfect Timing (Time+Gno) (10 Again) 8, 10, 1, 7, 7, 2, 1 2 successes

stats

3 successes

Puck could see the wheels turn behind the nurse's eyes. It probably was the argument that cooperation would ultimately benefit the hospital - even if the story turned out to be totally made up. "Well.." She slowly started, maybe taken aback by the new perspective. Maybe she was just gauging how much she was able to tell this inquisitive stranger. "The head of security will be off shortly when the night shift takes over." She glances at a clock hanging nearby. "Same with the doctors and other staff - most of them are about to start their shift."

She furrowed her brows, again mulling things over. "But who would steal bodies from a morgue - and why?"

Presence
    Striking Looks
    (Snarky)
    Puck

Nimbus

Puck Scenes

+1
    SL
    PRE

"Excellent questions I hope to help your hospital answer."

Always be smiling when you're trying to ask someone for something. Also? Not the best questions to ponder at the front desk where patients can hear you if they walk in. Puck's happy to cut that inquisitive line of questioning off.

"I just want to bring my offer to them and ask a few questions, so I won't take long. Could you ask if I can speak with him? His assistance would really help me get to the bottom of this quicker for all of our sakes."

Not-Karen wants to speak to your probably not-supervisor. A vague awareness of how that probably sounded gnaws at the back of the Libertine's consciousness. Still, it's what he was hoping to do.

2 suxx fast talk
    Date Action Roll Result
    2022-07-24 19:48:13 Puck rolls 7 to fast talk (Manip+Pers) (10 Again) 6, 8, 3, 9, 5, 1, 3 2 successes

stats

There was a bit of hesitation after Puck's last request. Clearly, what he's selling did line up with what this woman valued. "Well.. I guess just talking won't hurt." She gave the Acanthus another appraising look and reached for the telephone at her counter. "Hi, it's Claudia. Is Mr. Stock already in? Mh. Could you ask him to come to the front for a minute? Thank you."

She hung up and gave Puck a polite smile. She looked a bit uncomfortable, not quite at peace with the situation. "He'll be there shortly."

There was little else going on at that time, so the slight awkward tension never really left until a thin, balding man walked through one of the doors leading deeper into the hospital to the desk in a determined pace. "What is it?" There was a good deal of impatience barely hidden in his voice. "There's a reporter who wants to talk to you about the hospital security."
    The head of security turned towards the Enchanter - eyes that laid a bit too close together searched Puck's face and a mouth that had barely lips to speak of pressed them so tightly together that they disappeared completely. He seemed to be thinking for a second, then he stepped closer and thrust his hand towards said reporter. "Thomas Stock, I'm in charge of the security here. And you are?"

Presence
    Striking Looks
    (Snarky)
    Puck

Nimbus

Puck Scenes

+1
    SL
    PRE

"Thanks."

Back to smiles as the conversation once again moves forward. The Libertine waits patiently as the nurse summons the man of the hour and gives a brief recap. He notes the apparent apprehension as the other man thrusts his hand forward, but continues his beaming optimism as he shakes the man's hand.

"Connor Ellis, with the Sacramento Bee. I heard of a security breach and wanted to see if I could assist you in getting to the bottom of it, in exchange for a story of course."

Puck looks around. First to the nurse, then the door he came in and around the office more generally.

"Do you have an office we could speak in? I doubt this is something you want me to keep babbling about in such a public setting."

Stats

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last
Closed Thread