Presence (Focused)
    Trained Observer
    Dexterity (Lithe)
    Phoenyx
    Spells and Gear

Monthly rits (cloaked):
    Supernal Vision (Pot 6)
    2E Life Shield (Pot 5)

Gear: Smartphone, Pistol (Beretta M92, +2 lethal), pair of daggers, tonfa, Reinforced Leather trenchcoat (1/0), motorcycle (street bike)
    Phoenyx

Nimbus: a pair of fiery scarlet wings unfurl her with an eagle's screech.
    Plot Stats

Def - 6 (4 Dex+Life/2)
    Armour - 3/2 (Life/2, Trenchcoat)
    Health: Matriarch - 1B/7
    Willpower 3/3
    Mana: 9/9
    Vulgars Cast: 0
    Personal Spells 2/3
    [6] Supernal Vision (Monthly Ritual)
    [5$] 2E Life Shield (Monthly Ritual)
    Active spells: 3/7
    [3$] Complex Transmission

Gear: Smartphone, Pistol (Beretta M92, +2 lethal), 2 spare clips, pair of daggers (one is magical focus), Reinforced Leather trenchcoat (1/0), Purse ($57, gun permit, driving license)
    Phoenyx Scenes

PRE

The china tea set was out once again in the simple but functional kichenette that served as the Arrow's food preparation area. Two floors up in the Arrow tower, it gave a view to the street below Phoenyx had always found pleasant - if not picturesque - view from the windows. Something about being above the streetline was always nice to her. It felt... right, somehow.

The First Talon was... a little wary of her guest. She made no effort to hide that she struggled to understand the Moros Councillor at times. He was certainly intelligent, but there seemed to be no filter between thought and mouth. No follow through to the potential consequences of actions. His descriptions, while to him providing important context or useful anecdotes, always felt of little use to Phoenyx. Like she was forced to listen to a lot of redundant information and filter out that which she needed to know as a test of her observation. But it was equally clear that this was never Corn's intent - it was just his way. A completely different way - like his insistence on keeping a part-sleeper life.

He was a test of her social skills - not deliberately, but in her own mind. An area she knew was lacking, she had been working on for some time. And when he wanted to discuss actual defence skills, she was not going to refuse. From his messages, she had assumed he wanted to know about Magical defence.

It was certainly something she was curious to discuss.

She wore her hair up and a simple top with loose combat pants. Corn was nearly due to arrive.

Obrimos Adamantine Arrow, Cloaked Monthly Rits (in minisheet)

2. Likes Aeolus, liked this post
    Presence
    Status (academic)
    Corn

Nimbus: Light purple aura and a scent of freshly dug earth after a rain.
    Status (Academics) 1.
    Corn Scenes

Duplication cost
      Analyze life, WP to boost a roll, Paradox mitigation, Non-path magic, Getting out of Grapple

PRE

Corn shows up dressed in casual, dark clothes, carrying a box of homemade cookies.
    He texted Phoenyx that he was there and politely waited to be admitted in. When he saw Phoenyx, his smile deepened. Truth be told, Corn didn't know why he was so fond of Phoenyx, but he was.
    "Greetings Phoenyx! Thank you for finding some time for me in your schedule. How are you?
    These are cookies my aunt made. I was there this morning. Try them, she adds peach jam between two thin biscuits, and then slowly bakes them. I am not sure exactly of what she does and how, but they are very nice and made with all the love and care of a woman that likes to feed her relatives. Technically speaking, there must be a strong sympathetic connection between them and my aunt, but I am sure that won't be a problem. Here, have a few. They go very well with black or green tea.
    " corn said, trying to be short as Phoenyx has mentioned several times she didn't want much beyond the bare minimum. Corn was aware that his opinion of "bare minimum" was not exactly the same as the Arrow's but he was sure he had not said too much about the origin of the cookies and how special they were.

After greetings, small talk and tea-talk was done with, Corn went to the subject.
    "So, Phoenyx. We are mages. Physical training, hand to hand skills and weapons are all good and help to build useful skills and perhaps a mindset. But... we are mages. As we have done once in the past, I would like to discuss more about that subject. You have said in the past that mages are very tricky opponents cause they can do a great many things and we cannot predict them.
    But, we have our weaknesses. I would like to discuss how to minimize said weaknesses in me and exploit them in other mages.

For example, without the use of space arcanum and a good sympathetic connection, we cannot affect people we can't sense with our mundane senses. But many spells can be used
    in an area if the caster is skilled enough, instead of a target. And I am not exactly clear on what "sense with our mundane senses" actually means.
    If a mage can hear me without seeing me, say behind a curtain, how much more difficult is it for him or her to affect me personally? If I was in such a situation, would it be better to use area affecting spells or rely on my hearing?
    "

Bear with me here. I just want to know Phoenyx's approach on such things.
    Corn is asking info that is found here: Sensory Range - Edge of Darkness Wiki (nwod.org). While he is vaguely aware of those things he wants confirmation and something more solid than generic information he has never used in his life.
    Concealment is -3 penalty, but it takes an action to "listen" (wod 167). Area has penalties per radius and you affect everything, not just your intended target, but you don't waste a turn.
    For scene effects, see Minisheet. No monthly rituals at this time.
    Occult 4 because Mysterium is about the knowledge!

4. Likes Aeolus liked this post
    Presence (Focused)
    Trained Observer
    Dexterity (Lithe)
    Phoenyx
    Spells and Gear

Monthly rits (cloaked):
    Supernal Vision (Pot 6)
    2E Life Shield (Pot 5)

Gear: Smartphone, Pistol (Beretta M92, +2 lethal), pair of daggers, tonfa, Reinforced Leather trenchcoat (1/0), motorcycle (street bike)
    Phoenyx

Plot Stats

Def - 6 (4 Dex+Life/2)
    Willpower 3/3
    Personal Spells 2/3

Gear: Smartphone, Pistol (Beretta M92, +2 lethal), 2 spare clips, pair of daggers (one is magical focus), Reinforced Leather trenchcoat (1/0), Purse ($57, gun permit, driving license)
    Phoenyx Scenes

PRE

The Arrow offered Corn a small smile. "I am well. I hope you are also?"

A background history of the biscuits ensues. She isn't sure where it goes at times, but tries to go along with it. "I... thank you." She takes the cookies and sets them on the table, though she doesn't take one yet. "I have both - do you have a preference?" She set her kettle boiling and opened the cupboard - several boxes of tea are within.

As the Moros began to outline the purpose of his visit, the Arrow pursed her lips thoughtfully. "I see. Well, in that example, it would depend again on the kind of spell you are using as an offensive measure. You could use other supernatural senses or spells to accurately locate someone hiding behind a curtain. Or you could simply move around the curtain and engage directly. All are possible. There is no clear-cut answer."

She gestured to the chair for him to sit, and does likewise. "However, before we begin focusing on such specific scenarios, it is important for me to have a more general understanding of your intent. Why is it you want to know about this? Exploiting the weaknesses of Magi is only for one purpose - to know how to fight them." Dark eyes watched Corn closely. "You are not a fighter, nor have shown any interest in learning how to fight. Understanding when you can and should employ these sorts of skills is more important than being able to, and I have observed you have a tendency to head directly for a specific scenario before even considering the implications of first principles - such as wanting to know how to engage a highly specific combat scenario before even considering basic combat technique." There isn't an accusation in her tone, but it was clear to Phoenyx Corn had, once again, taken five moves before thinking through the first.

6. Likes Aeolus liked this post
    Presence
    Status (academic)
    Corn

Status (Academics) 1.
    Corn Scenes

Duplication cost
      Analyze life, WP to boost a roll, Paradox mitigation, Non-path magic, Getting out of Grapple

PRE

"I am not a fighter and I want to be a better fighter, Phoenyx . Or at least, less bad. I am showing interest in learning how to fight... now. This is me showing interest to learn how to fight. You see, in the past I have had to fight. And because I am not good at it, in one instance I knocked down Belle along with the intended target because I didn't calculate area correctly. Friendly fire as we call it in computer games.
    We are just a handful of mages here Phoenyx. When danger finds me, I may not be given the choice and be forced to fight. And as you well put it, I don't know how.
    I can do things that are very harmful but I don't know how to apply them correctly. Before I was a master, I would enchant a gun, knife or club, boost my combat skills with life and rely on my mage armor for protection. Fight as a sleeper. Now, my choices have increased manyfold. And so have the possibilities of a mishap. But the Seers won't be away for ever. And some things the Mysterium needs may require us to use violence.
    " It is quite clear by his sour expression and tone that he doesn't like violence.

"About that specific scenario... it was an example to show you what I mean with my question on how to reach targets you are aware of, but can't see. However, if you think I should start somewhere else to be better able to defend myself from mages I will go with your advice. You're the expert here.
    I know that I will never be a battle mage. I don't want to be one. I want to learn things, fix things, make things and help people. But violence is unfortunately part of our world so while I don't want to be a battle mage, I don't want to endanger others with my ignorance of the basics of fighting mages. Or spirits and ghosts. But I can't fight either because I don't have the right arcana, so these are for a different day, quite to the future.
    "

Presence (Focused)
    Trained Observer
    Dexterity (Lithe)
    Phoenyx
    Spells and Gear

Monthly rits (cloaked):
    Supernal Vision (Pot 6)
    2E Life Shield (Pot 5)

Phoenyx

Plot Stats

Def - 6 (4 Dex+Life/2)
    Willpower 3/3
    Personal Spells 2/3

Phoenyx Scenes

PRE

Dark eyes watched him for several moments before she answered. "Employing area of affect magics always run the risk of friendly fire. Simply because you are able to do something does not automatically mean you should." Again, not judgement, just information. She stays quiet as she moves over to the boiled kettle, hoping Corn will be patient enough to wait for her thoughts. "Corn, the most important factor in fighting is you can never retract your actions. As such, they must always be employed with care and thought. Lashing out with powerful magic is as likely to cause issue for yourself or your allies than your enemies."

Since the Moros had not specified a tea, she selected a black tea and added it and the water to the pot. Only once this was done did she continue. "My current concern is your approach. You are thinking what a Master would do, rather than what is most effective. Techniques that are simple and practised are more reliable, always, than trying to stretch too far. In fighting, this is simple combinations one knows. In magic, it is employing a simple spell you understand rather than chancing something you have only done once. Creative uses of simple spells can be more effective and easy to hide." She paused, watching for a moment. "Matter, for example, can be used to rust joints, snap belts, split material - all of which can be attributed to misfortune rather than magic, especially if one avoids rote actions and High Speech. Attacking indirectly can be just as effective. Attaining a rank of Master means you can do more, but it does not mean you need to." Phoenyx clasped her fingers together. "When defending oneself from Magical attack, there is no substitute for quick reactions and understanding of the Prime Arcana as the widest defence. Failing that, you need a way to withstand their assaults by skill or magic."

She shrugs. "The best way to learn is to do it. I could train you in magical defence if you wish."

Presence
    Status (academic)
    Corn

Status (Academics) 1.
    Corn Scenes

Duplication cost

PRE

Corn looked at Phoenyx interested. She seemed to say that the most powerful, cool and oooomph way to do something may not always be the best.
    The notion was... mind-blowing.
    Do what you are familiar and comfortable with, not what you assume a grizzly old master would do in a show of power. Another interesting approach.

"When it comes to my propensity to use mastery, I guess when you walk around carrying a hammer, everything seems like a nail. " he said simply. Then, she offered to train him in magical defense.
    Wait isn't this what we're already doing? He wondered. Still he answered honestly. "Yes, I would like that. Although I am not even an initiate in Prime."

Presence (Focused)
    Trained Observer
    Dexterity (Lithe)
    Phoenyx
    Spells and Gear

Monthly rits (cloaked):
    Supernal Vision (Pot 6)
    2E Life Shield (Pot 5)

Phoenyx

Plot Stats

Def - 6 (4 Dex+Life/2)
    Willpower 3/3
    Personal Spells 2/3

Phoenyx Scenes

PRE

The Arrow shakes her head. It was disappointing - like this was some huge revelation to her guest. Perhaps other people simply did not have the discipline and training she had drilled into her. "Treat everything as if it were a nail, you will cause so much more damage. Magic is not a hammer. If we reach for the most powerful spells without thinking we would reveal ourselves to the Sleepers in hours. I could fly through town to reach any location in trouble, but the disbelief would tear me out of the sky."

She reaches out and gently lifts the lid of the pot, inspecting the contents.

"I see. Do you wish to begin now? We can use the training room downstairs."

Presence
    Status (academic)
    Corn

Status (Academics) 1.
    Corn Scenes

Duplication cost

PRE

"You could fly invisible, but I see what you say. " If he learns to fly he won't let the Abyss stop him.
    "I am good to start
    ... " he said and then he sipped from his tea which changed his mind "... in 5 minutes! This is good, Phoenyx ." he said and took another sip, reaching for a cookie holding it up "I will need the energy of these." he said before taking a bite. After chewing and taking another sip, he turned to small-talk "How have you been? If I may ask, what do you do for a living? "

After a few minutes of enjoying his tea, small-talk and another cookie, he informed Phoenyx he was ready to start.

Presence (Focused)
    Trained Observer
    Dexterity (Lithe)
    Phoenyx
    Spells and Gear

Monthly rits (cloaked):
    Supernal Vision (Pot 6)
    2E Life Shield (Pot 5)

Phoenyx

Plot Stats

Def - 6 (4 Dex+Life/2)
    Willpower 3/3
    Personal Spells 2/3

Phoenyx Scenes

PRE

Phoenyx shrugs. "The Abyss cares not for mortal sight."

She smiles a rare smile. "Thank you. I have been brewing tea for traditional tea ceremonies for over ten years. I have had much practice."

The Arrow sips from her cup and thinks. "I have been well. My patrols have continued to be quiet, though it appears Viggo has moved on. And yourself? How is your family?" It was polite to ask. A small shake of the head at his question. "I receive a small stipend for my services as First Talon. It pays for my food, clothes, gas, ammunition. I do not need much else. My weapons I brought with me, as I did my motorcycle and leathers. I live an aesthetic life," she smiles with a hint of mischief, "for the most part." Corn had seen some of her nicer outfits after all.

Once they had their tea, she leads him downstairs. "If you would like to follow me." She moved into the training room where there were mats on the floor. "Are you ready?" she asks, watching Corn.

Presence
    Status (academic)
    Corn

Status (Academics) 1.
    Corn Scenes

Duplication cost

PRE

" My family is doing well, thank you. " he said with a smile. Not the time to share the good news - again. This time he would wait until his wife's pregnancy was more advanced before announcing it. Standing up, he follows Phoenyx . He takes a moment to look around the mats. and such.
    "I have no spells up. Do I need to bring up armor or anything? If not, yes, I am ready." he said after putting his things on a nearby corner. He has emptied his pockets on the way down.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
Closed Thread