(Captivating)
    Manipulation
    (Disarming)
    Resources
    Barfly
    Eidetic Memory
    Crystal

Nimbus

Walls and the Floor become slightly tilted, there's a sickly sweet and sharp smell in the air. Faintly, the sound chains (and even fainter: the sound of leather) can be heard. More powerful spells make the sounds more pronounced and colors seem to pulsate.
    Active Stats

Astral Dive II
    Health:
    Mana:
    WP:
    Armor 0
    Defense 2

Vulgar +/-0
    Active Spells: 1/4
    Personal Spells: 1

[2] Third Eye
    [4R] Misperception

+1
    SL
    PRE

It wasn't exactly like Crystal had imagined it - for instance, inviting Corn to his own Sanctum made it much harder to just end the conversation whenever he felt like it - but he couldn't postpone it much longer. He didn't feel like he belonged to the Mysterium for a while now and like with all unsuccessful relationships he was ready to pull the trigger and end this.

He was sitting at his kitchen table more tensely than he would have liked, waiting for the inevitable deluge of words.

Corn
    Health: Willpower: Mana:

Presence
    Status (academic)
    Corn

Nimbus: Light purple aura and a scent of freshly dug earth after a rain.
    Status (Academics) 1.
    Corn Scenes

Duplication cost
      Analyze life
     Improvised out-of-path, 

PRE

Corn, unaware of the situation arrived at Crystal's Sanctum bringing a box of cookies. He is dressed casually and rings the bell.
    Once led in, he looks around the familiar high-class apartment with a smile and greets Crystal politely.
    For scene effects, see Minisheet. No monthly rituals at this time.
    Occult 4 because Mysterium is about the knowledge!

Striking Looks
    (Captivating)
    Manipulation
    (Disarming)
    Resources
    Barfly
    Eidetic Memory
    Crystal

Nimbus

Walls and the Floor become slightly tilted, there's a sickly sweet and sharp smell in the air. Faintly, the sound chains (and even fainter: the sound of leather) can be heard. More powerful spells make the sounds more pronounced and colors seem to pulsate.
    Active Stats

Astral Dive II
    Health:
    Mana:
    WP:
    Armor 0
    Defense 2

Vulgar +/-0

[2] Third Eye
    [4R] Misperception

+1
    SL
    PRE

"Hey, thanks for dropping by." Crystal guided Corn into the apartment and led the way to the dining table. Two glasses and a bottle of water have been prepared and the thoughtful gift was opened and placed nearby. "So.. how are you?" Funny, if Corn was a friend with benefits Crystal wouldn't have such an issue with dropping that bomb.

Whatever. His mind was set and he didn't want to burn this bridge completely, so why not indulge in a bit of chit-chat?

Presence
    Status (academic)
    Corn

Status (Academics) 1.
    Corn Scenes

Duplication cost
      Analyze life
     Improvised out-of-path, 

PRE

"I am fine, Crystal. Well, between fine and worried, I would say. Family matters. Sleeper matters. Not too bad, at the time. How are you?"

Striking Looks
    (Captivating)
    Manipulation
    (Disarming)
    Resources
    Barfly
    Eidetic Memory
    Crystal

Nimbus

Active Stats

Astral Dive II
    Health:
    Mana:
    WP:
    Armor 0
    Defense 2

Vulgar +/-0

[2] Third Eye
    [4R] Misperception

+1
    SL
    PRE

Ignoring the fact that 'between fine and worried' covered a broad range of emotions Crystal nodded along. Then the ball was in his court. "Well, I've been thinking a lot. Since we talked in private and since the last Order meeting." Pause for dramatic effect. "I have decided it's best if I left the Mysterium."
    The Warlock held a finger up and reached for a glas of water, took a sip and then put his finger down as he continued. "It's not just that I don't think I fit properly. I did some soul searching and have come to the conclusion that I just don't see myself in there anymore." Would Corn try to convince him to stay? Probably. He'd be surprised if not.
    So Crystal grabbed a cookie and waited.

Presence
    Status (academic)
    Corn

Status (Academics) 1.
    Corn Scenes

Duplication cost
      Analyze life
     Improvised out-of-path, 

PRE

Corn's mind goes blank from the shock. It takes some time for the words "I want to leave the Mysterium" to land and his surprise is painted all over his expression. He doesn't interrupt Crystal as he drinks and says his piece, as the realization of what he just heard dawns. Shock and surprise are slowly replaced by feelings of loss and... betrayal.
    "I will not pretend this is not a major surprise and not a good one. Where this comes from, Crystal? " Corn said trying (and not completely succeeding) in keeping the edge from his voice. "Are you sure it is not just a phase? I won't go all 'sour grapes' and say crap like if you don't want us, then we don't want you either; you are a valuable member of the order and we will all miss you if you leave. I can't help but wonder what pushed you to leave. Is it something we did as an order? The 'I don't think I fit properly' sounds a lot like 'it is not you, it is me', Crystal. There has to be some reason. "
    Corn took a breath.
    "Let me clarify this, whether you go on with this decision or not you will remain a friend of mine. If we can't find a solution and you indeed choose to part ways with us, I will be saddened but I will still looking at you to arrange parties. However, think better about your departure. As you know, some things can be discussed only within the Order. We won't be able to talk to you about most of what we do as an Order. "

Striking Looks
    (Captivating)
    Manipulation
    (Disarming)
    Resources
    Barfly
    Eidetic Memory
    Crystal

Nimbus

Active Stats

Astral Dive II
    Health:
    Mana:
    WP:
    Armor 0
    Defense 2

Vulgar +/-0

[2] Third Eye
    [4R] Misperception

+1
    SL
    PRE

Crystal wasn't the most empathetic guy, but right now Corn was pretty easy to read. And despite him having made up his mind it sucked to see the Moros like that. "It's.. not a phase. I joined the Mysterium more or less after I've awakened and I haven't really questioned that decision since." He fumbled a bit with the cookie, then broke it in half - but he kept eye contact with Corn. "When I started to think about it, I realized that I didn't really want to dig into the universe's mysteries. I didn't want to do anything that would be considered contributing to the Order's goals in a meaningful way. Now I'm not saying that I'm not planning on growing or learning stuff, but," he dropped the broken cookie onto the table and shrugged, "I want to do it on my own time and on my own terms. And while I appreciate you trying to tell me that that's all right it feels like moving the goal-post in order to have me." Sure, he shouldn't be assuming other people's motivations, but that's just the way it felt to him.

When Corn told him that they'd remain friends Crystal broke eye contact for the first time. "Thanks, I appreciate this. And I don't want to break things off completely with you either. You're a cool guy and I'd like to think of you as a friend. Same with most other Mystagogues." Would he be fine not hearing about Order business anymore? Totally. But there was one thing: "I think I can live with that. There has to be something else we can talk about, right?" With a lopsided smile he looked at the Moros again. It was an attempt to ease the tension, feeble as it was. "But with that separation in mind I'd also have to take my contributions to the Athenaeum with me." And in a way that might just be almost as bad as losing the Mastigos for the Order.

Crystal is talking about the Size dot for the Sanctum that'd be lost with him.

Presence
    Status (academic)
    Corn

Status (Academics) 1.
    Corn Scenes

Duplication cost
      Analyze life
     Improvised out-of-path, 

PRE

Corn's lips remained tight.
    "The reason you don't want to be in the Order is that you don't want to contribute in a meaningful way... I can't say I like the sound of that, Crystal . It seems like... " what is a polite way to say laziness? Corn thought.
    "... avoidance of stressful activities and responsibilities. I accept you don't align with the purposes of the order, Crystal, but you are a mage. Not many of us are left. Our enemies thin our numbers but we may also succumb to our own pride or inflated ego. Idleness is a luxury you may find it had a very big price, down the road. I would suggest you rethink of your decision.
    If you insist, we will of course find someone else take over your responsibilities in the Athenaum. Don't worry about that.

But to go back to the Order question, if you want to leave, know that if you eventually want to return we will be glad to have you. If you are adamant that the Mysterium is not for you, then I would honestly suggest a different order. You have told me in the past that you want society to change and become more accepting. I would suggest, and this is not a joke or a pun, to join the Free Council as long as you promise to not tell them of our secrets.
    " like the artifact. "Well, you can tell them about the robes. I am proud of that."
    Considering Crystal and Guru were the ones that occasionally wore robes, losing Crystal was another jab.
    "I am aware that we have certain... disagreements, to put it mildly, with a certain Libertine. But the Free Council is more than Puck . I don't know how much influence Puck has in that group, but I think they don't have a strict hierarchy. I don't know much of the others but I know they do speak with me, even if they disagree. But the persons currently in the Free Council aside, they are an order - thus provide you with the benefits of an order - and their agenda seems more aligned with yours.
    And from what I can tell, although they may be keeping their activities a secret, they don't ask for much. I don't deny that Puck is hard to deal with, but perhaps you should speak with
    Apollo and Nevermore to see if you would be interested in that group.

Don't get me wrong, I don't want you to change Orders, but it is better if you became a Libertine than if you became apostate. I am telling that to you not as head of the Mysterium, but as a friend, to the buddy we sat with in a car chasing resonance changes trying to find magic grubs, to the buddy that arranged my mage-side bachelor party.

To change topics now... while it is certainly not cause for celebration, how about we go out for a drink with
    Zeromancer ? Nevermore also has suggested we hung out for a beer at some point. We could invite him, if you want. Same with Apollo . Play some bowling, drink beer and such. You know the usual Madison-kind-of-night. "

Aurora doesn't have to be the only one that starts bar scenes...

9. Likes liked this post
    Striking Looks
    (Captivating)
    Manipulation
    (Disarming)
    Resources
    Barfly
    Eidetic Memory
    Crystal

Nimbus

Active Stats

Astral Dive II
    Health:
    Mana:
    WP:
    Armor 0
    Defense 2

Vulgar +/-0

[2] Third Eye
    [4R] Misperception

+1
    SL
    PRE

Corn's assessment only made Crystal shrug. 'Avoidance of responsibilities' was not the words he would have used, but there were really none that could describe the situation more politely. "I have thought this through. Not being in an Order doesn't mean I can't work on anything myself." If and when he wanted to. "And again: would you want to keep someone who feels like the Mysterium is not for them, for whatever reason? If every attempt to convince them otherwise fails, do you still insist on keeping them?" That made it feel even more like it was just about numbers. Crystal took one piece of the cookie and popped it into his mouth while Corn went on.

And oh boy. If this wasn't the absolutely worst suggestion he had heard in a while. Good thing the Moros was not one to keep it brief, so Crystal had time to search for some polite words of his own. "I appreciate your suggestion which obviously comes from a place of caring. Problem is: I've had enough rebound-flings to know that those are not great for either party, so I'll happily just try out being on my own for a while. Like you said: considering our small numbers I doubt that we can allow ourselves a tribalistic mindset that leaves anyone not belonging to an Order in the dust. I'll be fine, as will the Consilium." Because it's not like he broke his back working for them so far.
    "Again, appreciate the input but I'm going to see what's best for myself."

The topic-change was so abrupt that it almost gave Crystal whiplash. "Uh, yeah. Sure, we'll see." He wasn't in the mood for drinks. Well, he was in the mood to get shitfaced, but that was a different thing entirely.

Presence
    Status (academic)
    Corn

Status (Academics) 1.
    Corn Scenes

Duplication cost
      Analyze life
     Improvised out-of-path, 

PRE

"No, if you really don't want to be with us, then I wouldn't want you to just be there. While you had rebound flicks I have been in jobs that didn't make me want to get up in the morning and deal with the work-day.

Well, unless there's something else, I will head out. I am sad to see you out of the order, but you have made your mind that the Mysterium is not the order for you. I will send you an invitation for drinks in a few days. I hope we can put this sad occurrence behind us.
    "

I am good to close, if you are.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
Closed Thread