Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletinEdge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Ended
Watch

Forten's Illusion Chapter 1 Endeavor

THREADID
DISPLAYED
Forten's Illusion: The Old College Try
Aug 14, 2022 - Aug 14, 2022
This is for adding a Search Category to the thread.

Note:
This is NOT a Notification for another member.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    Seneschal, Lady Notary, Priscus of the Nosferatu
    City Status
    Invictus status
    Presence (Lady)
    Obfuscate 2 Mask of Tranquility
    Resources
    Jennifer Hazelton

Nosferatu curse: A voice that withered like a snake sneaking through the grass, plummeted like an old man's nearing his demise

(Forten's Illusion Chapter 1 Endeavor)Vitae 1 Spent
    NOS
    PRE

Jake T BoxingUnicorn R Quartermain Conner Wells

Before entering the room, Liam had pinned a notice to the door 'To those interested in continuing the dropping bodies problem'.
    Jennifer and Liam waited in a reserved private room in Elysium, one of the smaller ones. She was rather curious who Alder Quartermain had spoken with about the troubles plaging the city.

Liam stood by the door, holding several thick envelopes of legal paper size, the top one marked Information Packet #1. Jennifer sat at the head of the table, her leather briefcase set on the table in front of her. This case contained only the information gathered about Forten. At four place settings around the table, fine ink pens and legal pads were set out, ready to use. A map with two locations pinned, one in yellow and one in blue, was displayed facing Jennifer.

Jennifer dressed more infomally tonight, clad in an expensive black sleeveless blouse, grey dress pants, black walking shoes and a gorgeous green silk scarf with a bright print. The antique Victorian gold brooch that had been worn at court is present tonight, clasped on the scarf. On her right hand, she wore a ring of chocolate diamonds. On her other hand, she wore a ring with an emerald. Jennifer was Blushed.

Nosferatu Curse: Jennifer's voice withers like a snake sneaking through the grass, plummeted like an old man's nearing his demise.

Blood & Faith
    Presence
    (Earnest)
    Allies
    (Academia)
    Obfuscate
    (Mask of Tranquility)
    Eidectic Memory
    Conner Wells
    PRP Stats

HP: 0/7 [7 Bash]
    WP: 0/2
    Vitae: 2/6

Equipment: Reinforced Jacket, Broadsword, Messenger Bag (flashlight, pen, notepad, binoculars, duct tape), Phone, Wallet ($50 cash)
    Combat Stats

Def: 3 (Dex; Tonfa +1)
    Armor: 1/0 (Reinforced Clothing)
    Initiative: 4
    Speed: 9

(Blush)Vitae 1 Spent
    PRE

Quinn had talked briefly to Conner about some strange arcane matters going on in the Domain. Predators leaving broken, bloody bodies in alleyways to be seen and gawked at. Strange creatures manipulating Kindred through shadows. It all stunk of the kind of mystery that Shadows drooled to uncover.

And so a Shadow answers the call. Wether out of curiosity, guilt, or duty it remains to be seen.

Conner is dressed in fairly casual clothes: a red-colored polo and grey dress pants. His coat is left at the entrance to Elysia, of course. The only major adornment found on the Shadow is his Lancea ring. He enters the room and offers a low nod of respect to the Priscus. "Priscus Hazelton, thank you for bringing this matter to my attention." Liam is given a cursory glance of middling respect and wariness, as the predator within debates the possibility of a trap. ​"Might I ask what this investigation has brought up so far? I'm only aware of cursory details at this point."

BP: 7/8
    WP: 5/5
    HP: 7/7

PRP Stats: In Minisheet

City Status
    Invictus status
    Presence (Lady)
    Resources
    Jennifer Hazelton

Nosferatu curse: A voice that withered like a snake sneaking through the grass, plummeted like an old man's nearing his demise

NOS
    PRE

Jennifer looks up from reading a file upon Mr. Wells entrance.
    “Good evening, Mr. Wells.” She greets with a nod reserved to those acknowledged of the Domain.
    The Nosferatu looks at the Mekhet for a moment.
    She makes a mental note wondering if Alder Quartermain did recruit Wells.
    “I was involved in the investigation that I am going to call ‘Dropping Bodies’ going forward. Former Reeve Durant was present, as well as other Kindred who are no longer residing in the Domain.” A respectful pause there, for the Reeve had been a good ally to Jennifer. The Priscus had taken a wound for Jennifer.

She gives a statement to Liam. “Let me know if someone is attempting to listen. We are expecting the one I mentioned. Give him Info packet #1.”
    Liam places one of the thick folders onto the seat to the left of Jennifer’s seat. Jennifer is pleased her ghoul is not presumptious with the Mekhet, not entering the Mekhet's personal space. Jennifer looks to Conner as she continued.
    “I am looking to recruit more investigators for the problem of finding and bringing to justice the one who orchestrated the Dropping Bodies situation. From information gathered by captives, it is a Matthew Forten, who likely has students working with him. “
    Jennifer now lapses into silence. No doubt Conner would have some reading to do. Jennifer pulled out a leather-bound blank notebook and made a quick note.

Information Packet #1
    Nosferatu Curse: Jennifer's voice withers like a snake sneaking through the grass, plummeted like an old man's nearing his demise.

4. Likes liked this post
    Blood & Faith
    Presence
    (Earnest)
    Allies
    (Academia)
    Obfuscate
    (Mask of Tranquility)
    Eidectic Memory
    Conner Wells
    PRP Stats

Equipment: Reinforced Jacket, Broadsword, Messenger Bag (flashlight, pen, notepad, binoculars, duct tape), Phone, Wallet ($50 cash)
    Combat Stats

PRE

Conner accepts the packet from Liam, with a grunt of thanks as the ghoul does indeed respect Conner's personal space, and reviews it. All the while trying to cross reference what he's reading with the knowledge he's accrued over his brief but busy past in the Lancea...
    3 successes

The mention of 'witch' causes Conner's eyebrows to go up. Surely she doesn't mean an actual magic-user? But with the presence of a 'familiar'...​ This was looking juicier and juicier by the minute. And that residual hunger for secrets keeps propelling Conner's interest forward as he reads through the document, going back twice to review certain details that are now looked in the iron trap of his mind.

"I see there have been a lot of hands in this operation." Most of which are gone. "I'm grateful for their assistance thus far." He remembers Quinn talking about taking a hit during a tussle with someone. Was it Angela? "So from what I gather this Mr. Forten is collecting human bodies using Kindred and familiars as his servants. Do we know if Mr. Forten is Kindred or something else?" A worthwhile question. The world is bigger and stranger than just vampires. "And I would like to know more about this 'Lottie'; was she Angela's ghoul? Or another Kindred's? And is Ms. Perez and her coterie performing an independent investigation?" She knew Ms. Perez was a fellow Shadow and of the Circle. Did the Circle have a special interest here?

​"I've heard of spell-casters before. My old mentor in the Lancea had tangled with them in the past, but I thought they mostly kept to themselves." Unless they're looking to try and muscle in on Kindred turf. Bad decision for them.

BP: 7/8
    WP: 5/5
    HP: 7/7

City Status
    Invictus status
    Presence (Lady)
    Resources
    Jennifer Hazelton

NOS
    PRE

In the few minutes of quiet, Jennifer makes notes in her yellow legal pad. A to do list for herself.

"No, he is not collecting human bodies. Some were taken to the morgue under the leadership of Dr. Cesmat. Whip Northbridge, Mr. Heinrich and Dr. Moore investigated the morgue. Dr. Moore examined the body of Riggan and found black cat hairs, traces of saliva that upon testing was cat saliva and that there were no signs of kindred feeding on the body.
    Whip Northbridge checked with the morgue supervisor and assured the investigators that the doctor sees the Riggan case as closed."

A pause as she picks up her leather notebook and turns the pages to a recent entry.

" I have not included the interview in the report that you hold. Priscus Durant, Whip Northbridge, Heirophant Wood and myself visited the captive kindred.
    Only a few questions were asked."
    Jennifer's lips were pressed in dissatisfied expression.

"She states that she, herself, had been supplying a ghoul with sustenance. And that she saw no signs that those she worked with were kindred.
    I do believe Lottie to be the ghoul that Angela supplied.
    She mentioned Forten has students. Some were fast. Yet she was not allowed in the private meetings with the students.

I have collected locations from the captive. The club Forten owns is in yellow. The parking garage where he keeps his car is in blue.
    The captive mentioned that he owns property such as warehouses and a store- the store that he never visited.

I was not included in any private meetings that were held with Madame Perez and the coterie. I do believe that I have seen signs at Court that the coterie is having some trouble.

Spell casters? He laid eyes on spell casters?
    Can you give me some details?"

The leather notebook was set inside her case and she picked up her yellow legal pad.
    "What have you been told of this situation, Mr. Wells?
    Can you think of something that you think needs to be done?"

I have currently expanded my research tomes. I do need time to sit and study them."

Jennifer watched the Mekhet. There was a reason for her questions and the way that she framed the questions, with her statement of one of her plans.

7. Likes liked this post
    Blood Potency
    R Quartermain
    Stats

Health:
    Monthly Avg. Vitae: 5
    Current Vitae:
    WP:
    Armor: 1/2
    Defense: 3
    Initiative: 8
    Tracker

R Quartermain Scenes

PRE

A soft knock on the door proceeded the entrance of the solder, clad in a grey pinstripe suit that harkened to older fsahions, if still done in a modern cut.

"Good evening Lady Notary," he said quietly by way of entrance, before nodding also to Conner. "Mr. Wells. We seem to keep meeting in these types of planning nights."

9. Likes liked this post
    Blood & Faith
    Presence
    (Earnest)
    Allies
    (Academia)
    Obfuscate
    (Mask of Tranquility)
    Eidectic Memory
    Conner Wells
    PRP Stats

Combat Stats

PRE

Conner's disappointment of not being able to read more on Lottie's interview is minimal. After all, he can't control what information is available. Though Jennifer's look seems to indicate a sense of dissatisfaction. ​With the information? Or the questions asked? "So Forten isn't alone in this. If only we knew if his followers were willing or otherwise." Ghouls serve out of blind devotion, but others could be glamoured into service, depending on what powers Forten has available. Hearing about Perez's coterie having 'some trouble' prompts an inner rumbling of smug satisfaction. Serves her right. Crone witch doesn't DESERVE the success of besting this Forten.

​Jennifer's peaked interest is a notable change. Apparently the Priscus hears valuable information; a sinister pride swells within the Shadow's gut. He shifts a bit in his chair to lean into the table a bit, as if the contact will help jog his memory. "Well, much like how we are transformed by our curse there are others who are transformed by connections to Magic. Real Magic. Primal, pervasive Magic. Those beings are known by many names, 'Witch' being one of them. They are hidden, like us. But their powers can bend the laws of reality in ways Kindred can only dream." Conner shudders briefly. ​"I've heard of them conjuring fire with a gesture, or summoning unearthly beings with a word. But their dependance on somatic and verbal components can make them predictable."

Conner ruminates on Jennifer's second question. He doesn't take it lightly: the Priscus was clearly looking for action points here, and Conner feels he's uniquely equipped for this instance. "If they haven't already, we should analyze any artifacts tied to Forten or his crew to determine if they have arcane influence. Quinn possessed such a gift, as do I. I'd also recommend staking out Forten's properties for possible hidden entrances or exits that would accommodate for a secret lair." He shrugs here, as if expecting incredulousness. "If I were working with multiple allies on something like this, I'd want someplace extra hidden to allow for extra room for a base of operations, or to hold captives or servants, maybe even to perform occult rituals in utter secrecy." He leans back a bit, as if to give room for though for his words here. "I have some connections in the Academic Sphere; perhaps there have been old books misplaced or students or teachers among the victims? My own arcane library is mainly limited to Lancea studies, but there could be information related to their crusades against other arcane forces that could be useful."

The presence of Quartermain is felt before it's heard...or was it the other way round? The split-second perception of Kindred blurs those precious moments together. Nevertheless, the shock is dulled a bit by the relief that he isn't the only one present here. More pairs of eyes; more hands and feet to get tasks done. "You say that like it's a bad thing, Mr. Quartermain." Conner makes sure the Ventrue sees his smile and twinkling eyes to indicate he's kidding.

11. Likes liked this post
    City Status
    Invictus status
    Presence (Lady)
    Resources
    Jennifer Hazelton

NOS
    PRE

"Alder Soldier Quartermain," A nod to the new arrival. " - do join us. We have been discussing the issue at hand and coming up with a plan for apprehending Forten."
    Brown eyes flick to the doorway, waiting for someone to come in with Quartermain. When no one did so after a moment, she gave Quartermain a direct look.
    Jennifer mused on Conner's information and opinions quietly for a moment.

"No ideas on the number of Forten's followers. We do know of the existence of the ghoul that our current captive was feeding. I have watched the ghoul, who introduced herself as Lottie to the homeless camp,"
    A look to Quartermain, clearly indicating she was stating information so he could pick up on the current thread.
    "- and followed her, so I know what she looks like. She was tracking and questioning people when I followed her, which suggests this opponent of ours possesses intelligence and perhaps some skill in investigation. We know that there are students of Forten that Angela was not permitted to meet with."

She took a moment to write down shorthand notes of Conner's contributions.

Her eyes move between Conner and Quartermain equally in conversation as she continues.
    "Conjuring fire." Jennifer repeated. "I was told that Forten has multiple properties. Perhaps one of those are being used as you suspect, Mr. Wells. I do want to say that I have seen no direct evidence of any witchcraft. Although there is the 'Dropping bodies' investigation that I was apart of where a cryptid that looked like a cat appeared to kill people and 'carry the life' to Forten. Mable did state that Forten was calling the cat at the time of our debriefing, which suggests that the cat knows where Forten is. I also have notes on where the cat met with Forten. Zebras." As Mable had said 'what does carry the life mean' to the cat, Jennifer had drawn her own conclusions in the time that elapsed since. No need to elaborate with Wells, who seemed to have a quick mind. She was curious about the Alder Quartermain.
    Jennifer wrote down the details that the cat had given Mable and that Mable had relayed to the investigators in dropping bodies investigation. She passes the note to Conner first, who hopefully would pass it to Quartermain.
    Note

I am going to have to direct Liam to bring the fire extunguisher. Perhaps GPS tracking devices for frenzy potential.
    Her pencil moved as she jots these ideas down. She makes a note to suggest meeting with Angela again, now that Quinn was not directing Milton to do his work first, denying her own ability to have a chance at the captive. Yet she wanted to see what these investigators suggested and brought to the table before she made too many of her own suggestions. A glance to Quartermain.
    He did not seem to investigate other Kindred for potential or bring with him any new investigators.
    Althought I sent him not one, but two letters about that. Jennifer noted. Yet she held her tongue. For now. Let's see what he has done and what he has to contribute before I criticize.
    At the mention of Academic allies, she gave a small nod. "As do I. I have contacts among the homeless population that I could press."

A look to Conner. "Could you appraise Alder Quartermain on what I told you on the interview with Angela?"
    Summarizing information would help Conner retain it and perhaps come up with new insights. While at the same time allow her to listen to any misunderstandings on his part or oversights on her own. Jennifer gave a direct look to Quartermain.

"Alder Soldier Quartermain, you were delivered this information," A finger tapped the Information packet #1. "-on June 10th. What have you done? What are your thoughts?"

13. Likes liked this post
    Blood & Faith
    Presence
    (Earnest)
    Allies
    (Academia)
    Obfuscate
    (Mask of Tranquility)
    Eidectic Memory
    Conner Wells
    PRP Stats

Combat Stats

PRE

Quartermain's entrance is a welcome sight. Conner may be eager to tackle this investigation, but more Kindred were better than two even if one of them was a well-equipped Priscus. He gives a nod to the Ventrue soldier. "Hello Mr. Quartermain. Glad to see you."

More knowledge about Forten's operation, and more knowledge to learn.
    "So we know that Forten has other students..." Conner taps his chin as he ponders. "If we could figure out some other of Forten's students, that could give us more information as well. Maybe if Angela's been removed from the field Forten will need to fill that gap in the field." He looks at the note, furrows his brows again, then passes the note to Quartermain for his own perusal. "Sorry, did you say 'zebra'?" Conner's hearing doesn't normally trick him. Could Forten be holed up near a zoo?

Speaking of Forten's location...
    "If that's the impressions from the cat, then I'd say it sounds like Forten is somewhere near a fountain. That would be the 'water falling up'. 'False flowers' could mean artificial or decorative plants. And 'shut ins' could mean homeless or people who don't often leave their building. That could be Forten's other students, or maybe doctors or researchers?" That last option begs the question of how extensive Forten's resources are.

Conner looks a little surprised at Priscus Hazelton's request to recap, but he obliges without much hesitation. If nothing else, his memory is sharp enough to keep things fresh for recollection. "Angela was interviewed by the previous investigation team. They confirmed that Angela was fostering a ghoul in Forten's service who was returning to the scenes of the abductions in the report. It was also confirmed that Forten has multiple properties under his name and purview, including a nightclub, a parking garage, and several warehouses." ​Already his mind is racing with the new details they've just picked up from the cat's vision. He looks to Priscus Hazleton to judge her response and see if he's relayed all the relevant details.

BP 7/8
    WP 5/5
    HP 7/7

15. Likes liked this post
    City Status
    Invictus status
    Presence (Lady)
    Resources
    Jennifer Hazelton

NOS
    PRE

"I am sure that having a Kindred helped Forten. Depending on her age, she could know all sorts of information. As well as whatever strengths and Family Gifts that she has." Jennifer thinks. "Although the ghoul now has no acess to Vitae.
    "The zebra was a comment not to look for zebras when it could be horses."

"I agree, I think that there could be a fountain near where Forten lives. And possibly the false flowers could be a perfume."

As Mr. Wells shows that he understood the information relayed to him, she gives him a nod that he has relayed things accurately. "Although the ghoul was seen after we abducted Angela and asked the homeless encampment where they had seen Angela, so it is possible she was looking for her regnant. And possibly does not check each scene where the cryptid attacked it's victims.

As I have seen the ghoul in person, I suggest that I track down the specifics of the vehicle that the ghoul used to leave the scene. I can look for the ghoul around the properties that Forten owns. This could link to other excursions by the team.
    Mr. Wells, what do you think we should do? W
    hat do you suggest we use to identify Forten's students?"

A glance around the table. "I would suggest that the two of you should attempt to reach out to other Kindred and recruit at least one other investigator."

17. Likes liked this post
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
Closed Thread