Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Ended
Watch
1 - 10
DISPLAYED
(2207) Speakers' Sidethread

(2207) Speakers' Sidethread
Jul 7, 2022 - Jul 31, 2022
This is for adding a Search Category to the thread.

Note:
This is NOT a Notification for another member.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last

As last time, this is the side-scene for people actively talking to the gathered Consilium.
    If you are done speaking, please use the 'ExitScene' feature (via Expenditure Explanation) and return to the main thread to de-clutter this one.

Also, this is not a call to jump ahead of people willy-nilly. Short questions or one liners can stay in the main thread until a back-and-forth is initiated.

2. Likes liked this post
    Presence
    Status (academic)
    Corn

Nimbus: Light purple aura and a scent of freshly dug earth after a rain.
    Status (Academics) 1.
    Corn Scenes

Duplication cost

Analyze life, WP to boost a roll, Paradox mitigation, Non-path magic, Getting out of Grapple
     Improvised out-of-path, ExitScene

PRE

Continued from (2207) Consilium...

As none of the other councilors were stepping up, and after acknowledging Nevermore with friendly wave, Corn raised from his seat and moved to address the entire group of gathered mages.

"Greetings colleagues of the Sacramento Consilium. I hope everything goes well in both your sleeper lives and your lives as awakened.
    In Sacramento, the old
    Charter is no longer in effect. However, that doesn't necessarily mean we should not have at least some of the official positions found in most Pentacle consilia. We have councilors and we have a sentinel. It may be a controversial suggestion, but I would like the council to consider the appointment of two Consilium officials:

Magus Zeromancer can serve as second Sentinel, in support of Sentinel Winter . One person cannot be everywhere at all times. There may be times when one of us may require a Sentinel's assistance and with just one sentinel, if Sentinel Winter is, for example, caught up in traffic, valuable time may be lost. I bring up this example because when a dangerous apostate - possibly a banisher - interfered in Mysterium business and was rendered unconscious by Aurora , traffic and physical distance delayed the sole sentinel of the Consilium with the result of this apostate to go free. Furthermore, everyone has responsibilities and appearances to keep in their sleeper life. Since we have the numbers and Magus Zeromancer has expressed interest in assuming that responsibility, I think the council should appoint him as the second sentinel of the Sacramento Consilium to double the chances to have a sentinel at hand when we need one.
    Magus Zeromancer has proven to be level-headed when faced with danger and the unexplained and I believe he would make a good sentinel.

I would like to suggest Magus Belle for the role of the Herald of the Sacramento Consilium. While the Consilium at the time doesn't have cabals, there are groups of Apostate mages that are not necessarily hostile in Sacramento and of course, there are the other Consilia, of San Francisco, Los Angeles etc. Some of us may have allies or mentors there and assistance may be required. I remember the recent case of a group of magi from a different Consilium that botched a summoning in our city. If we had a Herald to represent us in the different cities, we may have had prior knowledge that such a feat would be attempted here and move quicker to contain the damage. Or, at the very least, coordinate with them better in the aftermath. Last but not least, the Seers of the Throne or some other menace will eventually threaten us. I think it is better to have someone in place that other Consilia know of, in case we need to call assistance from outside.
    Magus Belle has developed her knowledge of the Space Arcanum enough to be able to use supernatural means to contact different parties and I am sure most of you would agree that she has a cheery, friendly and positive personality that would help her in the role of a Herald.

I would like the council to share their input on my suggestion vote on these two appointments.
    "
    For scene effects, see Minisheet. No monthly rituals at this time.
    Occult 4 because Mysterium is about the knowledge!

Presence (Focused)
    Trained Observer
    Dexterity (Lithe)
    Phoenyx
    Spells and Gear

Monthly rits (cloaked):
    Supernal Vision (Pot 6)
    2E Life Shield (Pot 5)

Gear: Smartphone, Pistol (Beretta M92, +2 lethal), pair of daggers, tonfa, Reinforced Leather trenchcoat (1/0), motorcycle (street bike)
    Phoenyx

Nimbus: a pair of fiery scarlet wings unfurl her with an eagle's screech.
    Plot Stats

Def - 6 (4 Dex+Life/2)
    Armour - 3/2 (Life/2, Trenchcoat)
    Health: Matriarch - 1B/7
    Willpower 3/3
    Mana: 9/9
    Vulgars Cast: 0
    Personal Spells 2/3
    [6] Supernal Vision (Monthly Ritual)
    [5$] 2E Life Shield (Monthly Ritual)
    Active spells: 3/7
    [3$] Complex Transmission

Gear: Smartphone, Pistol (Beretta M92, +2 lethal), 2 spare clips, pair of daggers (one is magical focus), Reinforced Leather trenchcoat (1/0), Purse ($57, gun permit, driving license)
    Phoenyx Scenes

PRE

Phoenyx had hoped to get her business done first as it was related to last Concillium, but naturally Corn could not wait to being talking again.

"Before we get on to the new topic of new positions, we should confirm business from the last Concillium is dealt with," she said pointedly. "The service to the Concillium - three months of Patrol Duty - required of myself has been completed. Additionally I should make you all aware that the Golden Key convened as requested by Magus Winter. I will remain the Councillor for Obrimos for the present." That wasn't everything, but the other matter could wait.

New positions. Issuing more responsibility. While the First Talon did not object to the idea in principle, she didn't know Zeromancer and Sentinel was an important role.

The Arrow is silent for several seconds, considering her answer. "I am uncertain whether more positions are needed - without a Charter the duties of the roles are open to wide interpretation." She looked from Corn to Zeromancer. "Magus Zeromancer, you clearly have a strong advocate in Councillor Corn. I do have some questions. First, why do you wish to be a Sentinel? It is a challenging role. Second, I would like to know what skills you possess that would make you a suitable candidate. The Councillor says you have proven to be level-headed in the face of danger, suggestion you have been in some manner of difficulty together. To what event is he referring?"
    Obrimos Adamantine Arrow, Cloaked Monthly Rits (in minisheet)

5. Likes liked this post
    Apollo
    Striking Looks
    (Yes, they are muscles)
    Apollo

Nimbus: Plants seem to take a deep breath in around him (No physical signs just a feeling)
    (Wi) Paying Respects

Wi Paying Respects

Health:
    Mana:
    WP:
    Armor: 0
    Defense: 2

Vulgar: 0
    Active Spells: 0/5
    Personal Spells: 0/3

No Active Spells

Equipment: Smartphone, Wallet (Debit card, credit card, bus ticket, $50 cash), keys, pen, small notebook, bottle of water, 3 X Protein Bars, 2 x Chocolate Bars, 1 X Can of Coke, Backpack,

Copper Necklace with wooden pendant (Magical Tool)
    Tactical Knife (2L)
    Punching D
    (Matriarch) I spy

(Matriarch) I Spy

Health:
    Mana:
    WP:
    Armor: 0
    Defense: 2

Vulgar: 0
    Active Spells: 1/5
    Personal Spells: 1/3

Spirit Tongue

Equipment: Smartphone, Wallet (Debit card, credit card, $50 cash), keys, pen, notebook, bottle of water, 2 X Protein Bars, 1 X Can of Coke, Large Army Backpack (LAB),

Copper Necklace with wooden pendant (Magical Tool)
    Tactical Knife (2L)
    Long Sword (3L - LAB)

+1
    SL
    PRE

Apollo blinked several times, looking to each councillor in turn. Waiting for something. A few seconds of silence before his hand was raised.

"Councillor Corn. I am not against another Sentinel. However..." He paused as he thought on his words. "You state that a situation came up where a possible banisher interfered in 'Mysterium business'" he let that sink in "The harsh reality is... that is categorically Mysterium Business. I would like to point out that officers of the Consillium are here for Consillium business and are not at the beck and call of the Mysterium for their organisations personal endeavours. If it is Mysterium Business then the Mysterium should deal with it. Unless they are of course willing to give up all those secrets they are hiding so that mages of this city are able to make an informed choice when it comes to helping out." at this point he was going lightly on Corn. There were several things reading between the lines that at this point he was choosing not to bring up.

"Secondly, I am not saying I disagree with a Herald. However, I disagree with a blatant attempt to have more city officials who are part of the Mysterium so they can use Consilium.... for lack of a better word... assets to do their orders private business. What's Next Councillor? Are the Arrows going to be standing guard over the Mysteriums Library?"

"Councillors may I suggest that you vote on if a Herald and if a Sentinel is needed. Once that is decided then I would suggest that other councillors put people forward and the position holder be chosen on Merit" Apollo stopped, he could have continued but he had made his point.
    Apollo
    "I choose to live by choice, not by chance."
    Current Effects: See In Scene

7. Likes liked this post
    Presence
    Status (academic)
    Corn

Nimbus: Light purple aura and a scent of freshly dug earth after a rain.
    Status (Academics) 1.
    Corn Scenes

Duplication cost

Analyze life, WP to boost a roll, Paradox mitigation, Non-path magic, Getting out of Grapple
     Improvised out-of-path, ExitScene

PRE

Corn acknowledged Phoenyx 's words and turned to Zeromancer to see what he would say. Apollo 's insinuations were a bit offending although not unreasonable and he raised an eyebrow, but let the mage speak without interruption.
    Once Apollo finished Corn rose from his seat again to address him, in a calm and measured tone.

"I assure you, magus Apollo that this is not an attempt by the Mysterium to grab power. I actually find the suggestion we would do so unwarranted. The situation of danger I was referring to, had nothing to do with Mysterium business or the banisher; rather it had to do with an ancient ghost. I expect Neokoros Zeromancer 's answer to Councilor Phoenyx would assuage your fears.
    Whether Magus Belle or Neokoros Zeromancer are elected by the council for the positions I suggest them for, I expect them to do their duty to the concilium as a whole. Regardless, officers of the concilium happen to belong to a path and an order, Magus Apollo, we can't avoid that. To insinuate they would put their order above their duty is uncalled for.

Last but not least, I presented the reasons I believe we need those positions and I suggested those two magi on their merit and their merit only.
    "

Corn had a relaxed stance. He was simply addressing an issue raised by a magus that concerned the choices he has brought forward. He didn't seem to have ill will towards Apollo for expressing his concerns. Better they were aired out and discussed than festering, in Corn's opinion.
    For scene effects, see Minisheet. No monthly rituals at this time.
    Occult 4 because Mysterium is about the knowledge!

Aurora
    Spells
    Striking Looks
    (Riveting)
    Presence
    (Confident)
    Fame
    (Entertainment)
    Madison Cross
    (Sleeper ID)
    Gnosis
    Aurora
    Aurora

Dedicated Magical Tool

Multicolored copper bracelet with intricate loops winding around her right wrist.
    Nimbus

The sweet, fragrant smells of roses mixed with lilacs emanate from her as she casts magic. The scent intensifies, bordering on intoxicating, when Life magic is cast. When Aurora casts Vulgar magic, the scent takes a nasty turn, to the putrid, nauseating odor of a rotting corpse. The stronger the magic, the more those around want to retch at the smell.
    Monthly Spells

Monthly spells done on character sheet.

Pulse of the Living World[POT 6]
    Organic Resilience[POT 6]
    (PrP Treasure Hunt)

Active Spells: 1/6
    [Detect Substance]Bone
    Personal Spells: 2/3
    Vulgar:
    Mana:6/8
    WP:3

FAME
    +1
    SL
    PRE

So that’s what his official business was.

This could be a can of worms or it could be an adult discussion. Which shall it be today?

Looking to Phoenyx, there was a nod, “Thank you Councilor Phoenyx.” One had to give it to her, she always did what was required and returned to business as usual.

Apollo had some good points to add to the discussion. And she waits for him to finish before adding her own.

“Previously, the Councilors had agreed, by a majority, to do away with the Charter. Therefore, it seems inappropriate to me to use positions reinforced by a Charter. Like was stated previously by Councilor Phoenyx, without the Charter, it leaves the responsibilities open to interpretation. Which presents, in itself, a whole other host of problems.” Her voice calm, lacking emotion. “Furthermore, if it was decided as a whole to bring these positions into use, I believe they should not be from one single Order. Not that I think the Mysterium is seeking to stack the deck so to speak, but because it gives a correct representation of the community as a whole.” And she had never worked with Zero, so she wasn’t sure how he would function as a Sentinel.

“I understand and support having those positions, just not in a Consillium with no Charter and such small numbers.”

10. Likes , liked this post
    Presence
    Striking Looks
    (Snarky)
    Puck

Nimbus

Winds blow around the mage, varying in intensity depending on the spell and parting abruptly after.
    Puck Scenes

+1
    SL
    PRE

So Corn gets rebuked three meetings in a row and now it's a coincidence the ordermate that blindly follows him is up for Herald? Yeah, okay. It's probably also a 'coincidence' that Zero is in his order as well.

"In a concilium of nine with a council of five two more positions feels like a participation award."

Seriously, let's not.

"And that's a statement generous enough to look past the fact you didn't specifically address Apollo's concern. You faked offense and said it might be a coincidence. You didn't comment either way on your intentions in nominating these two order mates of yours, which is obviously the source of Apollo's concern. Either way it doesn't change my vote. No to both the positions themselves and the individuals nominated to fill them."

Puck turns his attention next to Phoenyx.

"And Winter attended? What did he say about the concerns he voiced at the trial over your tenure?"

Puck watches Phoenyx and Corn as they answer his questions. Puck had a knack for seeing through bullshit. Just like Corn had a knack for self serving bullshit. Just like Phoenyx left out any facts that didn't make her look good. Remember when she first reported on the theater and conveniently left out how she had cast vulgar spells in front of sleeper witnesses? An omission that later saw her convicted for the thing she conveniently left out? This Enchanter does, and he doesn't trust her to tell the whole truth with a gun to her head.

6 suxx empathy to watch Phoenyx and 4 suxx empathy to watch Corn
    Date Action Roll Result
    2022-07-11 18:51:06 Puck rolls 8 to detect lies/misdirection on Corn (Wits+Empathy) (10 Again) 7, 7, 10, 8, 7, 7, 10, 4, 5, 8 4 successes
    2022-07-11 18:50:03 Puck rolls 8 to detect lies/misdirection (Wits+Empathy) (10 Again) 10, 4, 8, 8, 1, 4, 9, 10, 6, 9 6 successes

Zero
    Hector Zeroni
    High Speech
    Striking Looks
    (Intimidating)
    Fighting Style
    (Staff Fighting)
    Zeromancer

Shadows grow deeper or seem to reach out, and objects look decayed or rotted. With powerful magic might result in ghostly faces appearing in reflective surfaces, watching those around the mage with stern or angry expressions, the mage might even hear whispers.
    Zeromancer Scenes

+1
    SL
    PRE

After waiting a bit for the Councilors to complete their speaking. "To address your concerns Phoenyx , Corn and I had made a trek into the Twilight to investigate Eulogy cemetery before he left us. While there we encountered a hostile wrath and were able to dispatch it. At which time seemed to cleanse the land and bring the peace that the Eulogy had attempted to bring before his departure."

Zeromancer paused for a moment before continuing, "I have no reason to state why i should be a Sentinel other than the fact that one is needed to back up our current one. But if I were to get in the role I would do what is needed of the position. If you have any other questions, I would be more than happy to answer them."
    Spell: Speak with the Dead

13. Likes liked this post
    Striking Looks
    (Captivating)
    Manipulation
    (Disarming)
    Resources
    Barfly
    Eidetic Memory
    Crystal

Nimbus

Walls and the Floor become slightly tilted, there's a sickly sweet and sharp smell in the air. Faintly, the sound chains (and even fainter: the sound of leather) can be heard. More powerful spells make the sounds more pronounced and colors seem to pulsate.
    Active Stats

Astral Dive II
    Health:
    Mana:
    WP:
    Armor 0
    Defense 2

Vulgar +/-0
    Active Spells: 1/4
    Personal Spells: 1

[2] Third Eye
    [4R] Misperception

+1
    SL
    PRE

Continued from (2207) Consilium...

Crystal got up and addressed the Consilium. "I agree with Puck and Aurora here. Since there is no charter and given the size of our Consilium it would seem like just giving out offices for the sake of it. If there is a threat to us then we should be able to rely on the Arrows - and frankly on every Mage present - to help us protect our community.
    The office of Herald seems equally redundant. If other Consilii, Cabals or whatnot want to reach out to us there are five Councilors and the heads of the Orders to contact. Coordinating aftermaths of any kind can - and should - be done in an official meeting like this."

He waited a second and concluded. "With three of the five Councilors being clearly against the idea I'd say further discussion of the matter is not necessary." Did he feel a bit like an asshole right now? Yes, but he'd rather bear that feeling for a hot minute than listen to what would inevitably follow if nobody would stop this right here.

With his piece said he sat down again.
    Health: Willpower: Mana:

15. Likes , liked this post
    Presence (Focused)
    Trained Observer
    Dexterity (Lithe)
    Phoenyx
    Spells and Gear

Monthly rits (cloaked):
    Supernal Vision (Pot 6)
    2E Life Shield (Pot 5)

Gear: Smartphone, Pistol (Beretta M92, +2 lethal), pair of daggers, tonfa, Reinforced Leather trenchcoat (1/0), motorcycle (street bike)
    Phoenyx

Nimbus: a pair of fiery scarlet wings unfurl her with an eagle's screech.
    Plot Stats

Def - 6 (4 Dex+Life/2)
    Armour - 3/2 (Life/2, Trenchcoat)
    Health: Matriarch - 1B/7
    Willpower 3/3
    Mana: 9/9
    Vulgars Cast: 0
    Personal Spells 2/3
    [6] Supernal Vision (Monthly Ritual)
    [5$] 2E Life Shield (Monthly Ritual)
    Active spells: 3/7
    [3$] Complex Transmission

Gear: Smartphone, Pistol (Beretta M92, +2 lethal), 2 spare clips, pair of daggers (one is magical focus), Reinforced Leather trenchcoat (1/0), Purse ($57, gun permit, driving license)
    Phoenyx Scenes

PRE

"It should be noted that since the Arrow guard the Circle, technically they guard everything within it," Phoenyx replied to Apollo's jibe at Corn. Did people really not know she lived here?

The Arrow looked to Puck when asked questions. "He did not. I was surprised, since he raised the initial objection. He had not informed me that he could not attend. However Viggo, Nevermore and myself did attend and neither of them objected to me carrying on in the position. As I said last time, I serve my Path. If any of the Obrimos wish to replace me it will be discussed in an order meeting. At present, even if Magus Winter continued to object he was in a minority. If he wishes to raise the issue upon his return, we will address it then. For now, the matter is closed." That was that.

Watching as intently as he was, Puck can see easily that there is no lie. What he definitely could see was conviction. Whatever she said, she believed. In fact, now he was watching, she looked exactly the same as when she had spoke about their first excursion into the theatre after the show. Puck has seen liars in his line of work - this isn't quite the same. It doesn't look like attempts to deliberately mislead, just that the details she doesn't relay are not seen as important to pass on. It may have made sense to the Arrow - she never saw her spell as vulgar if she believed there were no "aware" witnesses, the outcome of the meeting was the same if one person objected against two - but it was a very simple, direct way of looking at things. Like she was oblivious to the nuance or just didn't see it as relevant.

The discussions about Corn's proposal continued. It certainly seemed that his proposal was finished. Puck could tell that there was complete indifference on the Arrow's face.

"Thank you, Zeromancer. I would like to discuss this event with you more at a later time outside of this meeting - it sounds a most useful example of it's kind." Fighting ghosts? It sounded completely outside her sphere, so knowing tools or people would be beneficial.

She looked at the other councilors. "I concur with Councilor Crystal. Further discussion on this topic appears redundant. The motion of appointing more positions fails."

Looking out on the rest of the mages gathered, she draws a breath. "In that case, I also have a point to raise. During my penance from the last Concillium, I was completely unobserved. I ran guard duty for the Circle as the issued penance, but it was entirely plausible that I could have done nothing. As such, I recommend to the Council that when punishment of such kind is issued, there is someone or multiple people appointed to oversee that punishment is carried out. I realize that we are a small concilium and this is an inconvenience, but if punishment is not enforced it means nothing. We have no way of making an enforced mandate - I simply recommend the Council keep this fact in mind for future events."
    Obrimos Adamantine Arrow, Cloaked Monthly Rits (in minisheet)

17. Likes liked this post
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
Closed Thread