Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Ended
Watch

A glimpse of the future

THREADID
This is for adding a Search Category to the thread.

Note:
This is NOT a Notification for another member.
    Presence
    Status (academic)
    Corn

Nimbus: Light purple aura and a scent of freshly dug earth after a rain.
    Status (Academics) 1.
    Corn Scenes

Duplication cost
      Analyze life
     Improvised out-of-path, 

PRE

"Yes, Crypto, I am at that location." Corn said as he looked around the kids running around excited at the visiting circus / amusement park. Modern day nomads, these performers. To think that Aurora, his linguist friend and most powerful willworker, at some point lived that life.
    "Are you sure that your information is good this time? The past year I have been to over 20 fortune tellers, mediums and the like and they were all hacks. Trying to siphon out information from me before answering with half-truths and generalities. And twice before I have been pointed out by you to people with potential and they turned out to be con artists."
    "Man, you wound my feelings! About Lady Fatespin and Tony Amazing, I told you they may have potential and you chose to do it regardless. For Madam Fortuna, I am telling you she is the real thing! Probably. My sources are certain this time: Madam Fortuna is certainly not a hack, maybe. "

"We will see, won't we? I see her van. I got to go. "

Corn concentrated for a moment. He didn't trust Crypto, or Crypto's sources and he didn't really trust his instincts to spot a con artist. He put his enlightened will to work and soon he could see the threads of fate and fortune.
    2 successes

Thus armed with Sibyl sight, Corn approached the non-descript modestly sized tent of 'Madam Fortuna'. Let's try this again, he said and he removed his wedding ring and slipped it into his pocket.

The inside of the tent was anything but modest. Gaudy. A showman's tent with the assortments Corn expected: Crystals, candles, beads hanging from the roof and the smell of incense. He stepped on a large carpet with peculiar symbols, none of which had any real power. A bad start.
    Madam Fortuna, a woman in her late fifties that was trying to appear older than she was, seemed to be of German descent. Not so good for people expecting to see something more... exotic. No wonder she had put her blond hair in a bun covered by a colorful headscarf. She wore a colorful dress along with a large number of cheap rings, necklaces and the like. Most of these had very little actual mystical value.
    "Greetings young man," the woman said with an air of mystery. "Take a seat at Madam Fortuna's table. Tell us what you need from Fortune."

Corn took a seat meekly, pretending to be much more impressed than he was. "I wonder whether fortune would bring me a wife." Corn said lying through his teeth.
    The woman looked at him for a long moment as a smirk appeared in her face.
    "A sceptic... Not very crafty, are you? That lie would have been more believable if you didn't have the ring mark on your finger, boy. "
    "No... no, I was recently divorced. She was ... "
    " Save it. You are not the first one to try to trick me, you know. " She looked at a clock sitting on a shelf in the stuffy tent, it was late afternoon. "We will be closing soon. So, I have two choices for you, my young sceptic. First choice is you walk out. No harm done. The second choice is that you pay 20$ for a reading. You pay first, and there are no refunds, whether you like what I tell you or not and whether you believe me, or not. "
    "20$? That's excessive, isn't it? Your sign says 5$. Why would I ever agree to pay four times the price, if I am a sceptic?"
    "And yet, here you are still. What would it be, my mistrustful friend?" She countered with a smirk.

Corn sighed and stood up from his chair. The old woman didn't lose her smirk or her confidence in the least. After a moment, Corn fished for his wallet and passed her two 10$ bills. She motioned him to sit as she grabbed a large non-special candle. Aside of it being about an inch in diameter, there was nothing special on that candle.
    Carromancy... Corn thought.
    She put the candle on her little table on a brass candlestick and lit it without fanfare with the lighter she had inside her cigarette package. "Arm..." she told him as she looked in the flame. Corn, aware of such superstitions, gave her his left arm. She goes for the modern, lazy method of just gazing to the candle... this is so foolish, Corn thought again.
    The woman grabbed his wrist from below, not too hard, her little finger and her thump pressing a bit while her other fingers were placed over his arm, feeling warm on Corn's skin. Instinctively, he relaxed his hand.
    At least she knows the proper grip.
    "You are not a beginner." She said matter of factly. "Now, shush. This may take a couple of minutes. Count your heartbeats."
    She looked intently in the flames. 50 heartbeats, 70 heartbeats, 100 heartbeats...
    "There!" Madam Fortuna said triumphantly, her eyes tired. She quickly grabbed the candle and ... upended it inside her coffee mug?! What in the name of...
    She broke off the top, while it was still inside the mug and poured some water in a ceramic bowl. She fished out the floating pieces of the wax and threw them in the water. No chanting. Coffee drops and wax mixed with the clear water as she stirred it again and again.

"Hmmmm" She said looking at the bowl.
    Here it comes, the 'I don't see anything, I don't know what happened, see ya' part; Crypto, I will get my money back from you! Including the 20$..."
    And then, Corn could feel it! His Senses caught the whiff of the supernatural at work. Focusing on his Sibyl Sight, Corn thought she could see the strands of fate being ... thick for lack of a better word. Madam Fortuna was not directly moving them, but she was intently reading ... something inside the bowl that aligned with the movement of fate and also made his senses tingle.

"
    I am sorry. I know this will not erase the pain but don't lose hope. You will have a child soon, and she will be healthy. You have my condolences for your loss, honestly. "
    Corn could be pushed over with a feather. How did that woman know... and he could sense her words were 'charged' with fate.
    "I ... I don't know... What? How? "
    "I also don't know how it works, but it does. The time is late. You had your reading, time for me to close up. Goodnight my young sceptic."
    Corn was left with more questions than answers, but he did have an answer he really, really liked. But could he trust that woman? Perhaps she saw the first part and said what he would like to hear for the second part, knowing he will want to believe that. Did she had a reason to lie? Who knows. But what she did was NOT awakened magic and what she did... had power. Celtic Keromancy. Appropriate for a German.

"What do you mean, she left?" Corn asked exasperated the large man. "I saw Madam Fortuna three days ago!"
    "I don't know what to tell you, man. Two days ago, she left. Without any explanation, a single farewell and without telling anyone where she heads to or if she will come back. If you want to know your future, I can talk to my cousin; he's a top astrologer trained in India. He... "
    Corn has stopped listening and walking away. The first time he found someone talented and she was gone like smoke in the wind.
    For scene effects, see Minisheet. No monthly rituals at this time.
    Occult 4 because Mysterium is about the knowledge!

2. Likes Aeolus liked this post
    Presence
    Status (academic)
    Corn

Nimbus: Light purple aura and a scent of freshly dug earth after a rain.
    Status (Academics) 1.
    Corn Scenes

Duplication cost
      Analyze life
     Improvised out-of-path, 

(fate)Mana 1 Spent
    PRE

mana expenditure
    For scene effects, see Minisheet. No monthly rituals at this time.
    Occult 4 because Mysterium is about the knowledge!

Closed Thread