Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Watch

Mage OOC Talk and Questions

THREADID
DISPLAYED
This is for adding a Search Category to the thread.

Note:
This is NOT a Notification for another member.
Page 40 of 53 First ... 30 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 50 ... Last

I have to admit, I am not a fan of the any spell 3+ dots is considered vulgar rule, although there is probably some reason for that rule existing.
    Matt - Werewolf Storyteller
    Pronouns: He/ Him

Twist Scenes

This, I'm cool with spells being considered Vulgar for the sake of calculating Paradox; that's been explained away as 'the world pushing back.' What I'm not okay with is every Covert spell over 3 dots being treated as Vulgar when used around Sleepers. There's a point for Covert spells beyond mitigating paradox. I don't know if that's how things exactly are for sure, but I certainly hope not.
    I have to admit, I am not a fan of the any spell 3+ dots is considered vulgar rule, although there is probably some reason for that rule existing.
    Well, the rule that 3+ dots is vulgar and 1-2 dots is covert has been here for a long time. It's how it is. I am also kinda against it and I don't agree with the stated reasons for it, but I joined the site aware of that rule and I have played for 1 1/2 years with that rule in place. I am not asking about that rule.

However, Aeolus, the question was not about coincidental vulgar spells and unraveling (we know coincidental vulgar spells do not unravel so people have stat-up rituals for months; boosting stats is life 3= vulgar and it doesn't unravel because sleepers are not aware of it).

It was about improbable covert spells and unraveling. P274 doesn't cover unraveling and I didn't find anything there about unraveling.
    What I mean is that "Steel windows" for example, is covert (matter 2). Now if a mage turns a wall transparent people that are not aware will assume it is a new material or it is glass etc. But what about the people that own the place. Imagine arriving at your job building and finding that the wall of your office is now transparent. You know it's the same wall as the chewing gum is still on the same place on the other side and the white board with your tasks is still visible.

I would think that those sleepers that work there and are aware will trigger unraveling. They won't just forget that the wall was transparent, I believe they will cause the spell to unravel within minutes.

What I am asking you is: "Is that so?"

That said... Aeolus : there seems to be a section of players (myself included) that don't love the 3+ = vulgar rule.
    Is it possible to open a discussion about it or since we are already playing with that rule in place and there are IC discussions between our characters that this is the way magic works etc etc it is not possible?
    I have to admit, while I don't like that rule, it is pretty big change. Simple majority of players should not be enough for the rule to change IMO as older player may show up later etc etc.
    I will totally find something cool to put here - eventually.

3. Likes Ruach liked this post

Fedup ; Aeolus
    Since Rails is no longer involved with the scrying Banisher sub-plot, I'd be happy to set up Belle for a solo Scene for the scrying whenever. I'm finally in a position where my evenings are free

5. Likes Ruach, liked this post

Fedup my gut feeling says that great improbability causes spells to be regarded as vulgar for the intents and purposes of disbelief and unraveling. Whether that change in vulgarity is because of the RAW categorization of spells or by the house-rules (i.e. a 1 dot spell applied in a way that breaks suspension of disbelief for sleepers is considered vulgar).

Regarding the question to change the house-rule: I'm against that for the moment. It levels the playing field and while there might be some 'feel-bad' moments, it makes people think before getting out the higher level covert spells without any repercussions.

BoxingUnicorn Solo scene/scrying is fine, if people want to combine this with another scene/location they can coordinate and join in.

7. Likes BoxingUnicorn, Ruach liked this post

Twist Scenes

Fedup ; Aeolus
    Since Rails is no longer involved with the scrying Banisher sub-plot, I'd be happy to set up Belle for a solo Scene for the scrying whenever. I'm finally in a position where my evenings are free
    Well, Corn plans to talk with Crystal so if Belle wants to show up too, so much the better.

9. Likes Ruach liked this post

It's the end of the month which means you can submit your XP-reports!

Twist Scenes

Greetings,
    Corn is considering calling a new meeting of the Mysterium (robes and all). I was thinking to start it in a day or two but if some of our fellows that are still busy-scheduled need a bit more time, I prefer to delay the meeting for a few days in order to have more people attend.

BoxingUnicorn , Aeolus , Orianna , , ragnarokxg , Shane .

12. Likes , Aeolus liked this post

XP Reports can be submitted starting today until the end of the week month - get it done, even if you think your character hasn't done much!

Twist Scenes

XP Reports can be submitted starting today until the end of the week - get it done, even if you think your character hasn't done much!
    Do you mean until Sunday 26th of June?

Fixed my short circuit.

Page 40 of 53 First ... 30 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 50 ... Last
+ Reply to Thread