Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletinEdge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Ended
Watch

The Shadow and the Haunt meet

THREADID
DISPLAYED
This is for adding a Search Category to the thread.

Note:
This is NOT a Notification for another member.
Page 2 of 2 First 1 2
    Status
    (Acknowledged)
    Albert Baker

PRE

Al nodded in turn, though his problem with being without a qualified Hierophant were visible. After all, he didn't know Cruac, for example, so if something happened to Mabel, he'd have to be Acting Hierophant and that would once again lead to trouble...

"I certainly do believe you and hope so. She is much more known than I am and has talents I don't have. Without her, there'd be a Circle without a Hierophant... Granted we are quite a small covenant here, but not having someone with the proper requirements is a bit of a problem..."

Upon hearing that there was something akin to a study group, he looked interested, as there was knowledge to be gained and he always was for sharing and gaining of knowledge.

"There is a study group on the occult? I don't wish to barge into things, but are there openings?"

Upon taking a sip of the wine he elaborated on the topic for a bit, remembering the past and remembrancing the times.

"It's not exactly a favourite, as it is expensive enough to be kept for special occasions. I do drink wine once in a while but keep to table wine, mostly Bordeaux, as that is good and though is has been getting more expensive over the years it is still more affordable."

As usual the problem with that question was that people had the expectation that when asked there were answers available and that he didn't have those.

"That is a good question and I'm afraid I can't answer that at the moment. Though introduction do seem like a god idea. Are you thinking of a particular one ?"

On the point that she hoped their families might meet soon to discuss plans and other things, he nodded and acknowledged the possibility without outright confirming it, as it wasn't his right to do.

"We might indeed meet soon and discuss plans and ideas. I'm looking forward to that."

Seneschal, Lady Notary, Priscus of the Nosferatu
    City Status
    Invictus status
    Presence (Lady)
    Obfuscate 2 Mask of Tranquility
    Resources
    Jennifer Hazelton

Nosferatu curse: A voice that withered like a snake sneaking through the grass, plummeted like an old man's nearing his demise
    Jennifer Hazelton Scenes

Blush, imbibe, 

Jennifer Hazelton Scenes

Blush, imbibe, 

NOS
    PRE

Jennifer was quiet a moment, studying the Mekhet. Noting his unease over something. Perhaps it had been a mistake to bring up the troubles so early. Yet she was one to be direct and honest.

"She is well known in the Domain." Jennifer agreed. "Which comes with time and patience. In time, you will also be known. No doubt favorably.
    It is not a study group in a formal organization. Yet you are welcome to be a part. I do enjoy sharing knowledge. I shall call you when we get together so that you can join the two of us. If you wish, I can share with you some of my occult tomes and we can discuss."

Jennifer took a lady -like sip of her wine. Considering what he shared about the wine. Determining if this was an avenue she should pursue, learning wine and investing. Perhaps. She had attained a goal that had been consuming a great deal of her time recently.

"Very good. Thank you for sharing the information with me."
    Jennifer considered his question.
    "You have met your Covenant and the Family, which is the most important goal upon arrival. I am a bit biased, I would suggest a meeting with Mr. O'Brien. Or another cousin, Madame Helen Kingsley.
    If you have political ambition, a meeting with a Lord I know could be beneficial."

Jennifer took a moment to write down two lines on a notepad. She held the pad up to show it to Dr. Baker. She was careful not to mention certain words that could risk the Masquerade, it seemed.
    Helen Kingsley, acknowledged member of the Nosferatu and lone Carthian in the Domain
    Whip Connor O'Brien, Whip of the Nosferatu and recognized by the Nosferatu Family. Acknowledged of the First Estate.
    Jennifer nods slightly. Noting his wise choice of words with a slight smile. He was clever and careful with words. I like that about him.

"May I ask what you have studied, Dr. Baker? I see that you are a learned individual.
    I see myself as an eternal student. Always pleased to learn new things. I focus a great deal on the occult area. I have some knowledge on things like the language of flowers. I am an expert on hacking computers and computer science based applications."

She shares a bit of information about herself, to make it appear that she was not only luring Dr. Baker to reveal knowledge of himself.
    Nosferatu Curse: Jennifer's voice withers like a snake sneaking through the grass, plummeted like an old man's nearing his demise.

Status
    (Acknowledged)
    Albert Baker

PRE

Al smiled and nodded. Patience and time... Perhaps he'd have enough of both to see himself flourish here...

"I certainly do hope so. Being unfavourably known would be quite an accomplishment which I don't wish to achieve."

The offer of sharing tomes of knowledge seemed to delight him and the smile became a bit bigger and brighter.Though perhaps there would be need of some translations...It wasn't his place to assume but nowadays Hebrew wasn't as common among occultists as it once was.

"Much obliged. I might bring copies of some of mine as well... It's mostly about the Hermetic Qabalah, though."

Again he smiled and nodded, asit seemed to please him to be able to help.

"A pleasure. I can't say I'm an expert on wine, I have really limited my knowledge in it, but if it can serve, I'm contend to do so..."

Taking a notepad from his briefcase as well, he wrote the names down, as they might be useful at some point. As might be the Lord, as meeting that one surely would serve a purpose...

"May I ask for the identity of the Lord in question. It might be... interesting to have a meeting in any case."

Then the big question entered the room, at least in part. He spent a time remembering and then slowly began to speak, taking her a few steps into his past.

"I have been a teacher in my home town and later on after I studied I taught French literature, French, Latin and a bit of Arabic in London and at Victoria College. I mainly did that for knowledge's sake and because I didn't want to have the peak of my career being headmaster and teaching the children and grandchildren of my classmates until retirement. I used to be a member of the Rosicrucian Fellowship and dabbled quite a bit with the occult. I speak the usual languages of occult scholars. I know a little bit about computers and firearms are not really a pasttime for me. Never was a good shot and since the War I haven't had a firearm in my possession..."

As an after thought he chose to comment on the obvious while they were at past and things one could and couldn't do...

"You also might have noticed that I'm not in a good physical shape and when I'm in public it happens to be a bit more obvious..."

City Status
    Invictus status
    Presence (Lady)
    Resources
    Jennifer Hazelton

Nosferatu curse: A voice that withered like a snake sneaking through the grass, plummeted like an old man's nearing his demise
    Jennifer Hazelton Scenes

Blush, imbibe, 

Jennifer Hazelton Scenes

Blush, imbibe, 

NOS
    PRE

Jennifer makes a slight nod, showing that she is actively listening, as Dr. Baker notes what he would rather avoid.

"Then expect my call. A great deal of my tomes are focussed on occult practices. I have now invested some money into rarer tomes on witchcraft.
    I would like to hear more about that. I admit, I am not well versed on what Hermetic Qabalah is. I would be very interested to learn more."

"Excellent. I have had a pleasant sit down with another of my Family, and your own: Mr. Conner Wells. It is good to get to know one another. Perhaps you would like to do so in the coming months?
    Ah, yes of course. I am sure that you have been told of him by the leader of your Family."

Jennifer wrote upon the pad again, sliding it over to rest in front of Albert's side of the table. Yet not encroaching on his side of the table, so that he was not made to feel defensive.

Seneschal Jack, Speaker of the First Estate and Priscus of the Lords. The Seneshcal is respected in the Domain. He is well thought of in the First Estate.

"You have a mind for languages, Dr. Baker. How very interesting. Are you fluent in speaking Latin? Or in the reading of it?
    I have had a mind to learn that language myself. For the means of having more tomes open to me to enhance my own learning.

Ah, the Rosicrucian Fellowship."
    A deep nod.

"Ah yes, I was aware. I admit, some interest there."
    She was not going to say anything about his apparent health. Yet he brought it up, which made it something of a point of interest.
    Nosferatu Curse: Jennifer's voice withers like a snake sneaking through the grass, plummeted like an old man's nearing his demise.

Status
    (Acknowledged)
    Albert Baker

PRE

Jennifer asked to hear more about the Qabalah and Al was willing to oblige, though he felt he had to warn her, as it was no easy subject.

"It would be a pleasure, though I do have to point out, that the Hermetic Qabalah is based on several roots and at least when I learned it some basic knowledge of those roots, the Tree of Life, Neoplatonism, astrology and alchemy would be assumed to be known. I don't say this to discourage you, but to indicate that it is difficult to learn without source material."

She mentioned talks with others and the option to continue where this one would end. That was quite a favourable option.
    "It would be my pleasure and an honour."

Upon saying that she had a mind to learn Latin, Jennifer was metaphorically seeing him mentally stumbling over that sentence, the one where she had mentioned being knowledgable about the occult and the consequences of those sentences being put together. For a moment his expression changed to pure disbelief, then it slowly faded into confusion and then upon remembering education didn't mean necessarily learning Latin and Greek anymore, the confusion faded into a neutral expression again.

"Yes. Latin. Good. It might be useful to add Ancient Greek and perhaps Hebrew, as that would broaden the range of topics and books considerably..."

Then they came to a topic he himself had mentioned and thus he thought for a while on how to begin with it, as it was a difficult topic. He decided to begin brief but about when it had started: the decision to volunteer to be be conscripted later.

"I mention it, as it tends to limit physical activities. Basically it began when the famous posters of Lord Kitchener were put up and my friends and I agreed that when the regulars wouldn't be enough it might come to us, willing or not. As we had already a bit of experience after fighting the Boers we thought a 'real' war couldn't be that different..."

He paused for a moment, lost in thought before continuing.

"Boy, were we wrong. Our first posting was Gallipoli and after that the Somme. I happened to get shot and stabbed a few times but what got me invalided out was the source of my lung problems: phosgene. It wasn't very pretty but at least I lived longer than some other poor devils."

City Status
    Invictus status
    Presence (Lady)
    Resources
    Jennifer Hazelton

Jennifer Hazelton Scenes

Blush, imbibe, 

Jennifer Hazelton Scenes

Blush, imbibe, 

NOS
    PRE

As the Mekhet detailed the aspects of Hermetic Qabalah, Jennifer reflected if that was something she would excell in. There were at least four aspects that she would need to study. With her other obligations, it was likely it would take some time for her to make any headway.
    Jennifer nods slightly, stating. "Quite interesting. I appreciate you sharing the details."

"Ah. Of course... as I mentioned, I am skilled with computers. The ability to investigate and research. There are ways to find translations, these days. Although I am sure that there is a pleasure at translations one has done for oneself.

I imagine you have avoided some physical tasks for quite some time? Although you have quite a few experiences that others do not enjoy. I imagine there is some pride there.
    You mention your comrades, I am sure the comraderie was quite something. "

As he mentions the soldiers who lost their lives, her expression turns to sympathy. She nods slightly. Commiserating silently.

Status
    (Acknowledged)
    Albert Baker

PRE

He thought for a bit on the things he had outlined and seemed to be speaking more in thought than actively with her.

"Perhaps we should just start with Latin though and if you wish extend to other subjects step-by-step, that wouldn't be as overwhelming."

With a content smile he raised his index finger as if to point something out.

"Indeed, I know it might be easier to look for someone else's solutions, translations or other kind of work. I don't condemn that, as it is useful at times, when you can't do the work yourself for various reasons. But I have found that it is something completely different to do the work you can do, as it enables me for example to see the point and draw my own conclusions, not the ones of the author or the translator."

On her thanks he nodded with a small smile, glad to be able to help.

"You're welcome. I'm glad to be of service with the few abilities I have..."

He nodded thoughtfully to her words and looked like he realized something that had been present but not fully thought out.

"Indeed I have, though maybe it is time to leave that behind. As my sire used to say, discomfort can be enlightening, not leaving your comfort zone rarely teaches new subjects."

Smiling wistfully though with a certain nostalgia and sadness clinging to it he conceded the point.

"Yes, that was good. Most of us came from the same town and did get along quite well, though there were exceptions like the Hamleighs, Trainwreck Tanner and Black Cat Mallory..."

After that he sat in silence, remembering those that had not survived the War.

City Status
    Invictus status
    Presence (Lady)
    Resources
    Jennifer Hazelton

Jennifer Hazelton Scenes

Blush, imbibe, 

Jennifer Hazelton Scenes

Blush, imbibe, 

NOS
    PRE

Jennifer looked at him for a beat. Allowing curiousity to show on her face, openly. He appears genuine in wishing to teach. How interesting.
    "I think starting with Latin is a good idea. The other languages that you advise are also good ideas for reading academic texts. I do have a question- do you ever come across texts that another more common language would make the information accessible? German, Japanese or Mandarin, for example?

I have told myself that I would begin to learn languages when my other academic pursuits were realized."

She had only recently attained that occult learning after so many years.
    "I am glad you do not condemn it, for it is what I had to work with." A small smile. Not a cruel one, or a smug one. A sincere one that he seemed to genuinely be curious and willing to share his experience.

She imagines that Kindred from across the pond learned many languages, as she knew people had to speak different languages for travel or calling companies in neighboring areas. The elders in this continent could potentially harken back to French settlements. Or perhaps different countries. She allowed herself to consider it. To wonder if she could make an academic inquiry. Or it could potentially alarm Kindred. Or make them wonder if she were reaching for intimate knowledge of their history or their Sires, to best seek out their boltholes where they might castle up. She considers quietly for a moment.

"I agree with the idea. I have found speaking with folk of all walks of life gives one a greater appreciation for how diverse the world can be. I have learned different perspectives than if I remained within my own political organization. I think stretching and learning is vital. It is a reason why we can think."

"That is good, that you had one another for a short time. Although I cannot imagine the difficulties your unit and those around you faced."

She wears sympathy, and tries to avoid an academic know it all air. She has read accounts. She has never been to war. She should not speak on it. Certainly not to a war veteran.

Liam makes a small movement, checking his cuffs and his wrist brushing the back of his wrist where a watch peeked.
    "The night grows short. Such delightful conversation makes the evening pass quickly." Jennifer states to Albert.
    "I have enjoyed our conversation." Brown eyes dance with curiousity, alighting on his face.

Status
    (Acknowledged)
    Albert Baker

PRE

When Jennifer spoke of texts in more common languages and used German, Japanese and Mandarin as examples, Al scratched his head, as he couldn't help her there, not speaking German, Japanese or Mandarin.

"I have heard there are such texts, but as I don't speak German, Mandarin or Japanese, I never looked into that direction. I'm sorry, I can't help you there. Were we talking about French I could be of more assistance. There are texts in English, of course."

He nodded as she spoke about learning different perspectives and the diversity of the world, adding more to what he had said.

"Learning is power and as long as man learns he grows. That I have learned and believe."

"It is and it was, yes. Perhaps I'll tell you of it sometime."

Unfortunately time had passed and soon it would be morning, which necessitated an end of this meeting.

"Yes, indeed that it does. I did enjoy our conversation as well."

City Status
    Invictus status
    Presence (Lady)
    Resources
    Jennifer Hazelton

Jennifer Hazelton Scenes

Blush, imbibe, 

Jennifer Hazelton Scenes

Blush, imbibe, 

NOS
    PRE

Jennifer listens to his reply. Of course. Perhas she shall do some research to determine which would be the best to learn. Although it would be quite interesting if there was a language that was in a tome that the two could read together. As she planned to branch into learning languages, she would begin purchasing a wider variety of occult texts.

"We are in agreement on that, Dr. Baker. It is good to find someone who shares my belief.
    I shall reach out to you so that we can go over the occult tomes. Expect my call no later than a month from tomorrow. Good evening, Dr. Baker. "

Jennifer nods respectfully to the gentleman as she rises. Liam helps her with her coat and they linger for a goodbye. The ghoul precedes the Nosferatu out to call the elevator and they depart.

Page 2 of 2 First 1 2
Closed Thread