Ended
Watch
1 - 10
DISPLAYED
The Road to Hell

(TRtH) The next Step
Jun 29, 2022 - Nov 5, 2022
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 Last

The setting sun of a mild evening cast an orange-golden glow onto the Open Hand community center (located in a less busy part of Meadowview, Sacramento). Every night, this privately operated community center offered classes, discussion groups, and movie nights for whomever needed a bit of distraction from what life had thrown at them.

It also hosted a weekly Narcotics Anonymous session, which is what had gained the Open Hand a lot of public traction in the last few weeks - or semi-public, at least. Word is that those unofficial NA meetings are a surefire way to get that monkey off your back. This hasn't made the news yet or led to an absurd amount of fame for the place, but if you asked anyone desperate enough chances were they'd tell you of this place. The details in those stories differ - some say it's a form of hypnosis, others claim that they councilors are just that good, even the shared consumption of Peyote was credited for the high success rate - and anyone trying to dig deeper would find mundane information and not much else. Well, apart from a few horror stories and rumors: bad trips, accusations of abuse, accusations of the staff drugging the attendees.

But if they have found a way to help others, who would really want to question their methods?

Tonight was another one of those meetings. There weren't many people on the street and those that were mostly kept to themselves. Those few that came for the meeting did so quietly and without talking to anyone and it appeared that nobody else was interested in hanging around the area at the moment.

Which was probably only a coincidence.

Apollo Moira Rails your plot begins here.
    Please include your active spells, stats, and equipment in each post.

You definitely have the opportunity to meet up/talk outside if you want (since Moira and Apollo know each other vaguely and Rails is completely unknown).
    Also, I've offered Aurora to join if she'd like since she's currently not in any plot. Just so you don't get confused if she decided to pop in

2. Likes pisces, Endymion liked this post
    grotesque (after the gramme)
    Presence
    (Cagey)
    New Identity
    (Lanny Bryant)
    New Identity
    (Steve Smith)
    Contacts
    (Public Works)
    Occultation
    (Who?)
    Rails
    Active Stats

Active Spells: 2/5
    Personal Spells: 2/3

Monthly Rituals:
    [2R] Mental Shield
    [4R] Incognito Presence

OCC
    PRE

One of those people on the street, keeping to themselves? That's Rails.

Though he is a little more apparent ​than usual this evening, having foregone his typical preparations. Tonight he wants to be seen. To be heard.

Maybe wants is a strong word. But it's about the process. The discomfort. The exposure. The honesty. At least that's what every junkie who's been in and around NA for a while wants to believe. Otherwise, why stay clean?

It's especially poignant for Rails. For reasons he rarely (read: never) discusses.

Those are the same reasons he's here tonight. He'd heard about these meetings from a co-worker. Another road-worn dope fiend a few years out of the game. The dude had heard whispers. Disturbing stuff. Dismissed them as bullshit, but shared it with Rails anyway. Figured he'd be interested.

We always know each other, he muses. Somehow.

Anyway: it likely is bullshit. More junkie myths. Some zombies in a flop talking about how Old Joe, who used to be around so much, must've been killed at that Open Hand place.

Because who ever leaves the life? Why would they? If Joe never returns, the only explanation possible is he got killed.

Otherwise, he'd be with them. Tying off.

All the more reasons for Joe's friends to avoid the place themselves. Wouldn't want to risk getting killed. Or worse: getting clean.

That's probably it. To repeat: bullshit.

But maybe not. So Rails is checking it out.

Besides, it's been a couple weeks since he's attended a meeting.

Finds himself outside the place, smoking. Of course, he's not alone. You'll never smoke alone at one of these things.

Peers around while he nurses the butt. Casually. Covertly. Studying the building exterior (there're always flyers posted at a place like this). Subtly glancing at anyone else smoking or otherwise on the street. He's got his special glasses on tonight to boot. The invisible ones.

Checking things out, 2 successes

Acting Chill, 2 successes

Third Eye, 4 successes

Stats, Spells, Equipment

4. Likes Aeolus, pisces liked this post
    Public Effects
    Alt Identity
    (Allegra Cole)
    Presence
    (Assertive)
    Striking Looks
    (Playful)
    Moira

Nimbus

From the ground mists rise, billowing thickly, and a thousand ethereal voices chorus eerily, sounding far away, the seasons spring to life going through time rapidly from verdant spring, to scorching summer, and the first leaves of Autumn, and the deep silent cold of winter.
    Stats

+1
    SL
    PRE

Moira was unusually sober this evening. Though not as rare as it once was. Righting the ship may take a bit more willpower than she thought she had. Hence her walking from her car to the steps of the Open Hand Community Center. She had heard some interesting things about this place. Most good. Some are a little strange. Moira wasn't shy about investigating strange things. I mean she herself, some might think, was strange in her own way. Not to mention using your drug habits as an excuse to investigate something was a time honored Awakened tradition! Or should be!

Moira was tall, thin, and athletic, and usually her spiky hair was out and floofed for all the world, but tonight she wore a hat that covered most of her hair. She didn't wear any makeup, because tonight wasn't that kind of night. She wore a long sleeve cashmere sweater with a peculiar mix of patterns on it, with a white cotton tank top underneath, a pair of black jeans and black chucks. She had a thick belt that allowed her to have her knife on her side. A little aggro maybe, but if the Arrow's of her previous city taught her anything it was it was better to not need it and have it, then need it and not have it. It was also the only way to carry a straight blade legally in California.

Rails came into her purview and damn if seeing him smoking didn’t make her pull out a cancer stick of her own. She usually only smoked when she drank, but this was a different kind of night. Anything to take the edge off right? The habit and ritual of a cigarette was that for the Enchantress in this moment. Being sober was novel, and that novelty was wearing off quick. Also the idea of getting up in front of complete strangers and talking about things she hadn't even talked with actual friends about? Terrifying.

Influence Sound Failure!

Stats, Spells, Equipment

6. Likes Aeolus, Endymion liked this post
    Apollo
    Striking Looks
    (Yes, they are muscles)
    Apollo

Nimbus: Plants seem to take a deep breath in around him (No physical signs just a feeling)
    (Wi) Paying Respects

Wi Paying Respects

Health:
    Mana:
    WP:
    Armor: 0
    Defense: 2

Vulgar: 0
    Active Spells: 0/5
    Personal Spells: 0/3

No Active Spells

Equipment: Smartphone, Wallet (Debit card, credit card, bus ticket, $50 cash), keys, pen, small notebook, bottle of water, 3 X Protein Bars, 2 x Chocolate Bars, 1 X Can of Coke, Backpack,

Copper Necklace with wooden pendant (Magical Tool)
    Tactical Knife (2L)
    Punching D
    (Matriarch) I spy

(Matriarch) I Spy

Health:
    Mana:
    WP:

Active Spells: 1/5
    Personal Spells: 1/3

Spirit Tongue

Equipment: Smartphone, Wallet (Debit card, credit card, $50 cash), keys, pen, notebook, bottle of water, 2 X Protein Bars, 1 X Can of Coke, Large Army Backpack (LAB),

Tactical Knife (2L)
    Long Sword (3L - LAB)

+1
    SL
    PRE

Apollo had come across the NA session on a rather intensive search of charities that he may be able to get involved with. At first NA seemed like a good cause, further research and he had quickly concluded that he smelt a rat. It was probably nothing, at least that is what he told himself. But curiosity got the better of this cat and he had decided to investigate.

To him this was the intel mission, find out what is going on... deal with any problems or come back another day to deal with them if needed. If it was legit, well he would admit how wrong he was and sign up to volunteer with them.

He had found himself with a bit of extra time and had decided to walk at least the last portion of the way. As he approached he spotted Moira and Rails and made his way towards them.

"Coincidence or fate?"

Spells
    Apollo
    "I choose to live by choice, not by chance."
    Current Effects: See In Scene

8. Likes Aeolus, pisces liked this post

It was almost funny: here Rails was, fully visible to the world and everybody just.. ignored him anyway. It was part of the unspoken deal, though: the recognition started inside. Coupled with his unremarkable attitude he didn't draw any looks from those few going in.
    For all the things he had heard the place was ordinary to an almost disappointing degree. The building was mostly greyish-red bricks and black window-frames. Here and there were spots where the setting sun didn't reflect in the windows, revealing childish landscapes created with finger-paint in some, stark office rooms in others. And yes, there even was display case containing a bunch of flyers. But even those seemed wholly unremarkable, the NA flyer blending in with the invitation to a picknick and weekend-arts and crafts for children.

Moira arrived and with all the unfamiliar things going on - being sober, arriving freshly in Sacramento to name two - she decided to look for some comfort in shared activities. Was it her or was the Mastigos particularly easy to look at tonight? And would she go a step further and actually chat him up?

Fortunately another new face in town made the decision for her when he approached them. By then, everybody interested in the meeting apparently found their way inside, even though there was some more time to spare - the three Awakened seemed to be alone for now.

Apollo's roll

Moira since there is no pressure at the moment you can retry your spell without a penalty. Just keep in mind that Rotes require Mudras that might seem strange to potential onlookers. And don't forget your equipment in your next post, like you've already mentioned
    Apollo that roll did not suffice for a month-long activation. I've posted more information in your character sheet. Please add your stats and your active spells to every post.

Everybody, please give me a (Wits + Composure) roll.

10. Likes Endymion, pisces liked this post
    Presence
    (Cagey)
    New Identity
    (Lanny Bryant)
    New Identity
    (Steve Smith)
    Contacts
    (Public Works)
    Occultation
    (Who?)
    Rails
    Active Stats

Monthly Rituals:
    [2R] Mental Shield
    [4R] Incognito Presence

OCC
    PRE

A vaguely familiar woman approaches. A member of the Consilium? Or does he just want to believe that because she's so damn fine.

This may be a meeting, but good looking is good looking.

"Hey," he says to Moira. Unobtrusive, soft spoken. Not exactly the picture of flirtatious. "I know you from somewhere?" Too late he realizes that she might think he's talking about 'old days.' Both of them nodding on the same corner. "Recently, I mean." Smooth one.

And then Apollo appears. Rails drags off his cigarette. "Fate," he deadpans. After all, they're here to break the belief that addiction is their fate, aren't they? The junkie's fatalism.

Looks between the two of them, "So, I've heard this place works wonders..." Tone says he doesn't buy it for a second. You get out what you put in.

Unless you're a Mage, of course.

2 successes

Stats, Spells, Equipment

12. Likes Aeolus, pisces liked this post
    Public Effects
    Alt Identity
    (Allegra Cole)
    Presence
    (Assertive)
    Striking Looks
    (Playful)
    Moira

Nimbus

From the ground mists rise, billowing thickly, and a thousand ethereal voices chorus eerily, sounding far away, the seasons spring to life going through time rapidly from verdant spring, to scorching summer, and the first leaves of Autumn, and the deep silent cold of winter.
    Stats

+1
    SL
    PRE

She smiled at Rails, and it wasn't one of those polite yet awkward smiles, but a full smile of welcome. She barely knew anyone here, and someone willing to engage you outside of an N.A meeting, well that took some balls. "Ummm anything is possible! I am new to the city though. I just relocated here from SoCal." (Southern California) She chirped happily, coming over to him finishing her cigarette as Apollo came on up to them. The guilty pleasure put away as to not taint the Shaman's lungs with acrid smoke. Her decision to smoke, was hers, she tried to keep it to herself as much as possible. His timing was interesting to say the least.

"Fate." She said in almost in perfect time with Rails, making the enchanter look at Rails with a light laugh. This guy was cool. Obviously! To Apollo she couldn't help but give him the slightly nervous once over. She wasn't sure what to think of him yet. The fact that he looked like the Hulk after he got angry didn't really help. In many ways she was his physical opposite. Just as athletic, but in a lithe and wiry way.

It looked like people were starting to go inside, and since her magic failed the first time around, she glanced around a bit, and felt a little nervous with Rails standing right there, but she could pass if off as some sort of prayer right? Right! Her hands moved in an elaborate motion as the Imago filled her minds eye, she didn't want to go in there without being able to control the flow of sound. Most would just assume they heard her, but tuned her out. Sleepers didn't think back on stuff like that much. Which made the spell a sneaky little area spell. Of course without Space, it had its limits. She completed the Rote spell, and gave a little look to Rails. "Sorry, I'm uh..pagan." She lied with one of those especially beguiling smiles of hers. Trying deliberately to distract Rails with the pretty. Which I mean, she was lying but what did he have to go off of anyway? Ehh. She was a shitty liar. "How's it going man... I'm Allegra! Nice to see you outside of book club! We met so quickly, I uh didn't get your proper name." She said with a grin at Apollo. Trying to be casual, but she wasn't sure what he wanted to be called in the sleeper world.

She nodded to Rails's comment about the community center. "Same here. Was curious enough to check it out. Been looking for an N.A group anyway. Sometimes it takes a few meetings with different groups to find one that fits, right?"

Rolls:

Roll for Forces Rote 2 Successes

Roll to lie to Rails Failure!

Perception Roll: 2 Success

Stats, Spells, Equipment

14. Likes Aeolus, Endymion liked this post
    Apollo
    Striking Looks
    (Yes, they are muscles)
    Apollo

Nimbus: Plants seem to take a deep breath in around him (No physical signs just a feeling)
    (Wi) Paying Respects

Wi Paying Respects

Health:
    Mana:
    WP:

Active Spells: 0/5
    Personal Spells: 0/3

No Active Spells

Equipment: Smartphone, Wallet (Debit card, credit card, bus ticket, $50 cash), keys, pen, small notebook, bottle of water, 3 X Protein Bars, 2 x Chocolate Bars, 1 X Can of Coke, Backpack,

Tactical Knife (2L)
    Punching D
    (Matriarch) I spy

(Matriarch) I Spy

Health:
    Mana:
    WP:

Active Spells: 1/5
    Personal Spells: 1/3

Spirit Tongue

Equipment: Smartphone, Wallet (Debit card, credit card, $50 cash), keys, pen, notebook, bottle of water, 2 X Protein Bars, 1 X Can of Coke, Large Army Backpack (LAB),

Tactical Knife (2L)
    Long Sword (3L - LAB)

+1
    SL
    PRE

Apollo gave rails a nod as he spoke. An agreement that he was also not buying it. Part of him however had hoped that it was coincidence or at least something mundane... anything else and he might actually have to do something about it. Still if it was fate he could deal with it. Destiny however was another story and the last time she came knocking she was not taking no for an answer. Internally he shuddered, remembering that occasion when he had awoke.

He listened to Moira, smiling softly as she spoke. It took Apollo a few seconds longer than he would like to admit before he got with the program. For a brief second a slightly confused look started to appear which quickly shifted into both his eyebrows raising. Yep... yep he got it. At least he thought he did. "My names Aaron. I kind of got pulled to one side by... I actually don't know her name." he gave a little laugh.

Wits + Composure

Stats

Equipment

Dice Rolls

Apollo
    "I choose to live by choice, not by chance."
    Current Effects: See In Scene

16. Likes Aeolus, Endymion, pisces liked this post

This time Moira did it - the Imago was willed into existence and she was certain that she could give a big 'fuck you' to the laws of the Fallen world - at least for a few hours.

The three Mages decided to chat a little bit outside and suddenly a retching sound disturbed their double-speak filled introductions.

"Hnugh." A soft groan, a deep inhale, some mumbled words. Moira and Rails were able to get them: "Shit. Can't-" another retching-spell, completely dry like the one before. Another groan. "-have to reverse this." The voice sounded rough and female.
    Then there was only labored breathing.

It seemed to come from the alley around the corner, away from the main street.

18. Likes liked this post
    Presence
    (Cagey)
    New Identity
    (Lanny Bryant)
    New Identity
    (Steve Smith)
    Contacts
    (Public Works)
    Occultation
    (Who?)
    Rails
    Active Stats

Monthly Rituals:
    [2R] Mental Shield
    [4R] Incognito Presence

OCC
    PRE

"Cool," he replies. "Welcome to town. New arrival myself."

It's like they planned it, that simultaneous 'fate.' Maybe destiny is at work? Rails should be so lucky. Which probably means he should chalk it up to mere coincidence. Where Moira ditches her cigarette, Rails lights another one. You looking to attend an NA meeting? Well, this is what it smells like. At best.

"I feel you," he says to Moira. "I've moved around a lot and been to a lot of meetings. Takes time. The important thing's you keep going." If you're serious about staying clean.

With his x-ray specs on, Rails can't help but notice Moira's little trick. It's clear as day. He doesn't do much to hide his awareness either. Instead, he subtly arches a brow at her. "Pagan. Sure. Me too," he quips. Maybe she'll get the meaning behind the riposte.

Rails gives Apollo the once over while deciding who he's gonna be tonight. Steve is too raw-boned. Too close to the streets. Lanny it is, then. He's a little more civilized, a few more steps away from the needle. Like Rails come to think of it.

"Lanny," he says. "Nice to meet you both."

Sounds like someone's having a hard time. The Warlock gives his two new acquaintances a look that says, You hear that?

Without waiting to discuss, he casually meanders away from the door and in the direction of the alley. Trying not to draw attention to himself and to avoid alerting whoever is retching up their last meal.

failure

Doesn't do a very good job though. What the fuck, dude?

Whatever. Takes a look to see what's going on in there.

Stats, Spells, Equipment

20. Likes liked this post
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 Last
Closed Thread