(girl next door)
    Striking Looks
    (Wholesome)
    Mable Wood

+1
    SL
    PRE

Mable give a little nod. "I feel the temple will be a great fit for you."

"Okay. In the field I am able to use an ability called Cheval. I can use the senses of sight or hearing of the person I am following. The disadvantage is I go into a trance like state. I usually use it when I am with a trusted person who will keep me safe. But you need to use your blood magic to do this. And it's not a beginner ritual. I think it would be the best direction for you to go in for blood magic."

"How much have you studied occult? I feel that the domain looks towards the Circle to help with Occult matters. It would be in your favor to learn more in order to gain better understanding of the inner workings of the strange and unusual.
    "

She considers the history. "I have a few manuscripts about the more common factions of the crone. That would be a great place to start." Mable walks over to her bookcase and pulls out a book called Moby Dick. "Here you go. Don't worry, the cover is not what's in it." It's a book about the crone. "This will give you a brief history on the factions. I think you will find it very interesting."

Status
    (Acknowledged)
    Albert Baker

PRE

Albert nodded in thanks, then began to outline what knowledge of the occult arts he has, even though that meant mentioning a name that disgusted him and had in his eyes no reason to be spoken in comparison to the great Eliphas Levi, Butler and Waite, Dion Fortune, McGregor Mathers or the old masters of the arts. A name that was spoken with great disgust.

"I have studied mostly the Hermetic Qabalah and possess most of the standard works of it. I have also studied a bit of alchemy and I once belonged to the Rosicrucian Society. Just for the sake of knowledge I have debased myself to read the nonsense of that charlatan Crowley..."

He paused, the disgust left his voice and he continued with a new sentence, following the train of thought, before the Thelemitic Nonsense was brought up.

"Though I do believe there is still much more to learn then I once thought..."

Taking the book he thanked her again, not inspecting it, but trusting it to be what she said and putting it into his briefcase.

"I humbly thank you."

Again he nodded in agreement, though it would be a big step and as he was taught and in turn had taught for a long time, beginners must be taught in small steps. They may get bigger, but the beginnings must be humble and solid.

"It would be a good direction, yes. Though it seems to be more prudent to begin with smaller steps, as I am but a beginner, learning the first steps. Much smaller steps..."

Warden of the Sacred Grove
    Presence
    (girl next door)
    Striking Looks
    (Wholesome)
    Mable Wood

+1
    SL
    PRE

Mable considered his words. "I believe even those we believe are speaking nonsense may have value. Perhaps Crowley's life values were biased by his time in British Intelligence? Or perhaps his upbringing in a strict Christian home? Perhaps he was inspired by the gods such as Horas?"

Mable crinkles her nose out of habit from being around kine. "I believe his philosophy was do as you will. What is your take on that? And don't get me wrong, I do agree he was a charlatan in many ways."

"Small steps are good. But there is a time to throw caution to the wind and try something new and bold." She tilts her head. "Do any of your shadow skills help with taking a bigger step?"

Status
    (Acknowledged)
    Albert Baker

PRE

She began with the point of bias or divine inspiration, which certainly were possible, though that didn't excuse that awful mixture of conflicting influences.

"That may be... Though there are many things that disgust me about his work. The most obvious being the importance of sexuality in his work. Others include the careless manner of mixing a lot of influences which partially are not quite compatible. Also there is the 'theory' that both magic and science would evolve into his 'magick', which I find distasteful and the abuse of the name 'thelema' for his work, which, as anyone with a higher education knows, has meanings that are not applicable to his philosophy. Antiphon and other sophists use it to define a divine will or inclination. The Septuaginta uses the term for high ethical willingness in faith or exercises of authority by authorities."

On the topic of 'the law of Thelema' he recalled a conversation he once had with a young and bright fellow in the Society about Crowley, his work and philosophy. The question Mabel asked was about the same and thusly the answer was about the same.

"'Do as you will' is dangerous. Without an 'unless' or other limitations it might tempt people to neglect the need for cooperation and a peaceful society."

When she spoke of 'throwing caution to the wind' he raised an eyebrow while listening and then frowned in disagreement. Knowledge was like building a house: it was unwise and dangerous to leave out basic steps.

"Perhaps, but this is not just about caution. In my experience learning subjects is a process which is begun with the fundamental basics and builds on them, step by step. Trying to rush the process is dangerous, as it will at some point cause the student to miss a stepstone and not being able to properly understand the lesson."

On the question whether there were skills to help with that, he frowned and thought for a while before replying.

"Not that I'm aware of, though I have to admit I haven't developed much of them and don't know much about what is possible."

Presence
    (girl next door)
    Striking Looks
    (Wholesome)
    Mable Wood

+1
    SL
    PRE

Mable's smile was one of delight. "I love hearing your perspective. You are a very interesting font of knowledge. What are your thoughts on consequentialism and utilitarianism?" Mable could listen to him all day. His brains and her brawn were a great mix.

She pulled another book off the shelf. This one had a jacket that said David Copperfield by Charles Dickens. "This has information about cruac. Our blood magic is important to learn. Some of the things we can do will help protect you." She handed him the book.

"Something you said," she thinks a moment, "magic and science....There is something the Ordo does with both I think. I wonder if they believe in Crowley?"

She gives a shake of the head. "Sorry it's just a weird thought of mine. I try to find connections everywhere and some of the stuff they do is a combination of both, and it's dangerous. What we do isn't dangerous to ourselves, and mostly nothing that will hurt others. That leads me to my beliefs."

"I try really hard to show everyone that the myths about the Circle are not true. When I first came here many thought we were sex crazed witches. I am trying to teach others what we really are and how we love and accept others. What do you think of this?"

Status
    (Acknowledged)
    Albert Baker

PRE

She mentioned utiliarism and he nodded, as it was a good idea in theory, though hard to put into practice in a pure form.

"It is a good concept, but like with many actually putting it to use is more complicated... For one there is no unit for happiness, you can't measure it and thus it is difficult to see the small acts. Also there is the point, that those having wealth and privileges are few and the sacrifices asked of them many as those who don't have much are many... Thus it could be argued that utiliarism as written is hard and demanding for those who have much, making itself unattractive to those who wish to not only make the lives of others better, but also have a good life themselves. There is also the point that the philosopy neglects the fact that different people enjoy different things in life among others."

Taking that book as well, he bowed in thanks.

"Again I thank you."

He smiled slightly once connections were brought up and the theory of the Ordo having members who followed the Thelema.

"I think it's not as weird as you think. There might be those that did follow his teachings in life and continue to do so. That wouldn't surprise me at least. Connections are surprising when you look for them, though there are those you better not look for... "

He thought about the idea and nodded as it could work here and then he remembered the day it had been proposed in Victoria and how the Baroness ended the proposer... It casued the smile to become strained, as that day had not been pretty.

"It is an idea that might work. At least it would here and better than in more... conventional domains. We had someone proposing that idea in Victoria and it didn't end well for the poor girl. The Baroness had her thrown to her hellhounds for even suggesting inviting others, even our allies to our rituals. Though we had a cold war with hot phases in that domain..."

Presence
    (girl next door)
    Striking Looks
    (Wholesome)
    Mable Wood

+1
    SL
    PRE

"I believe that the domain on a whole believes in consequentialism. Or maybe they feel that the ends justifies the means. I have a mixed thought on things. Everything has consequences. You need to think about them when deciding to do things. But I also believe in duty. I am frequently duty bound to do the things I do. However, its usually my own sense of duty that guides me not anything specific. I have a duty to the earth and everything on it. I try very hard to protect what I can, repair what can be fixed, and respect everything the best I can. I do fail, but I keep trying."

"Sorry, I can get a bit babbly. And I must say, I can see how the idea in Victoria had failed. It's not always a success here either. But if I don't try then it will never succeed."

"I have probably kept you long enough. Do you have any other questions?"

Status
    (Acknowledged)
    Albert Baker

PRE

When she brought the topic on consequences and duty on the table he nodded, being able to understand her point... mostly.

"Consequences are important. Though there are other things to be taken into consideration... The law is important, morals are important, duty is important. Yet none of these are by itself more important than the others... At least that is why I think..."

Again he nodded and tried to help her with a little bit of advice that had helped him through some ordeals.

"My father once said, if you can get up in the morning and look at yourself in the mirror, because you are doing what you can to do good, you're on the right path for yourself. Finding it isn't easy and staying on it can be difficult as well, but it's worth it."

With a smile he rose and bowed his head. There were questions, particularly about the book and Cruac, but they could wait.Today it had been a good first meeting and more could follow...

"Most of them have been answered. I thank you for your time."

Presence
    (girl next door)
    Striking Looks
    (Wholesome)
    Mable Wood

+1
    SL
    PRE

Mable walked him out. "Have a good evening."

Page 2 of 2 First 1 2