Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletinEdge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Ended
Watch

Key of C: for Conversation

THREADID
DISPLAYED
This is for adding a Search Category to the thread.

Note:
This is NOT a Notification for another member.
Page 2 of 2 First 1 2
    Blood & Faith
    Presence
    (Earnest)
    Allies
    (Academia)
    Obfuscate
    (Mask of Tranquility)
    Eidectic Memory
    Conner Wells
    PRP Stats

HP: 0/7 [7 Bash]
    WP: 0/2
    Vitae: 2/6

Equipment: Reinforced Jacket, Broadsword, Messenger Bag (flashlight, pen, notepad, binoculars, duct tape), Phone, Wallet ($50 cash)
    Combat Stats

Def: 3 (Dex; Tonfa +1)
    Armor: 1/0 (Reinforced Clothing)
    Initiative: 4
    Speed: 9

PRE

Conner sees his word choice may have hit a brick wall. But it hits nonetheless. He nods in approval; no need to harp on the relationship between effort and reward. Bold words for the strongest woman in the room.

Her next response...seems neutral at best. Either a conversation for another time...or a death knell for future ones. But Conner sees an opportunity; she hasn't called his bluff and left the table. I guess all that work on socializing is actually paying off.

He looks intrigued at her mention of traveling. "I remember planning a lot of travel...before. I just never got around to it. Life got in the way." ​Or unlife. "That's why I want to make up for lost time; and a city like this is the perfect place to do it. The West Coast in general is a melting pot of different backgrounds, cultures, and styles." So easy to lose yourself in. So many secrets to find. He thinks on 'Sofia's' next question, but his thoughts are coming more quickly now. He's growing more comfortable with this social interrogation. "Community. I was very insular before; I had my bubble and that was all I needed. Then the bubble popped, and it was just so overwhelming." The Embrace; what was lost before it; what was lost after; what continues to be gained. "I had to re-orient myself as part of a larger whole instead of an island. I guess you could say it was a cubicle/desk mentality: you're so tethered to something so mundane that your world shrinks up into what little space you have for yourself." There's a rueful smile as he thinks of the olddaily grind as opposed to his new nightly one.

"And what about you? What was the hardest lesson for 'Sofia' to learn?" A new advance in the pieces. Conner isn't going to let him be the only storyteller here.

Presence
    (Commanding)
    Striking Looks
    (Tattooed Beauty)
    Blood Potency(+1)
    Status
    (Criminals)
    Retainer
    (Gabriel)
    First thing you will notice about Ale is the abundance of her tattoos. They go from her face all the way to her feet, and not much is left bare. The second thing? Her strong Italian accent.

Known as Sofia De Luca

Gabriel, Ghoul
    Cain, Hell Hound
    Alessandra Scenes

-2 Vitae for Blush of Life and Drink, 
      -2 Vitae for Blush of Life and Drink

+1
    SL
    PRE

She understood what he meant; travel was very difficult right now. But not impossible. “The funny thing is I did most of my traveling later in life. I hope you get to experience some day.” traveling was a good thing, but overseas was, well, a bitch. “Saw most of Europe before settling here.” And it had proven to be fruitful. Nodding in agreement, “You never know what you’re going to find here. I know the varying backgrounds here have created some great conversations and interesting relationships.” Still made finding good help a pain in the ass though.

Community?

“Have to say, never heard someone say that before. And the way you’ve described it, makes sense. Learning to be part of a community can be a daunting task at any stage.” In unlife.

“For me? There have been many, but if I had to pick,” she lets it trail off, thinking a moment, “I would say restraint. I was used to letting my emotions rule the decisions I made, and I learned the hard way, that it’s not the right way. I used to act out of anger without stepping back and looking at the whole picture. It was hard to learn, but also freeing in a way.”
    Alessandra Antinori │BP 6│Strong Italian Accent

3. Likes liked this post
    Blood & Faith
    Presence
    (Earnest)
    Allies
    (Academia)
    Obfuscate
    (Mask of Tranquility)
    Eidectic Memory
    Conner Wells
    PRP Stats

Equipment: Reinforced Jacket, Broadsword, Messenger Bag (flashlight, pen, notepad, binoculars, duct tape), Phone, Wallet ($50 cash)
    Combat Stats

PRE

Grateful for the interrogation smoothing out just a bit, Conner settles back into an interested gaze. 'I hope'? That's generous. "Europe? Sounds like that's everyone's dream; getting to travel Europe." Conner starts to wonder just how old 'Sofia' is. Was she from Europe originally? Hopped back and forth between continents? "A friend of mine took a semester abroad in Italy and brought back so many pictures of ancient Roman ruins and battlefields. Which made the odd Papa Johns stand out a bit more." He can't help but smile a bit at the juxtaposition. ​"I guess that makes the ancient history more accessible though. Can't appreciate milennia-old masonry on an empty stomach."

"When you're used to living alone, or even with a select few people, adjusting to others can be hard."
    He's stretching here to keep matters vague. But he trusts she'll get the point without having to ask further. At the mention of 'restraint' Conner stops just short of taking another sip and looks on with some surprise. ​What must it be like? To have so much power and to keep it under control for so long? Day in and day out. Bet it feels fucking fantastic. Knowing some moron is going to earn a one-way ticket to Hell for pushing you too hard. "It does help to remember we're not the center of our own universe." There was always someone or something bigger just out of sight to humble you.

"So, is this how you blow off steam? Help maintain that restraint?" Conner glances across the room they're in. "Because honestly, I can see why. Change of environment helps cool my nerves."

Presence
    (Commanding)
    Striking Looks
    (Tattooed Beauty)
    Blood Potency(+1)
    Status
    (Criminals)
    Retainer
    (Gabriel)
    First thing you will notice about Ale is the abundance of her tattoos. They go from her face all the way to her feet, and not much is left bare. The second thing? Her strong Italian accent.

Known as Sofia De Luca

Gabriel, Ghoul
    Cain, Hell Hound
    Alessandra Scenes

+1
    SL
    PRE

“It’s an understandable dream. Europe has many various cultures to offer, there is always something worth seeing.” And it was home. In some sense of the word. At the mention of Italy, her smile widened to a truly happy one, Italia,” the Italian rolling perfectly off her tongue, “a place filled with ancient ruins and battlefields.” Then a look of surprise, “I know I shouldn’t be surprised there is a Papa Johns there.” A shake of her head, “Finding the little mom and pop places tucked away on side streets is where the best food is at.” Those fake Italian chains were just, wrong.

A sip, the nod, “Very true. Especially if you’re the type who enjoys being alone, then trying to find your place within society is that much more difficult. We all get set in our ways, and when we have to make concessions with those ways to conform, it can be daunting.” And not everyone was up for the challenge. A sly smile at the look of surprise, “Everyone can learn restraint. It’s a valuable trait to have.” Especially when one was used to reacting with violence, restraint was a beautiful thing. It opened doors. “While I can see the importance of remembering such a thing, one should also remember their place in the universe. We all have a role to play.” Some are just more fun than others.

An eyebrow raises, “Blow off steam?” a shake of her head, “That is maintained by lessons learned over the years, battles won and lost.” Blood and ash shed. “These places are just,” a pause, “well, comfortable I would say. When you are here, there is no pressure to be someone, you can just exist, just blend in. A bar like this puts no expectations upon you.” And in their world, it was nice to shed those expectations. “Now to blow off steam? That’s more an evening at the gun range, reading or playing piano.”

6. Likes liked this post
    Blood & Faith
    Presence
    (Earnest)
    Allies
    (Academia)
    Obfuscate
    (Mask of Tranquility)
    Eidectic Memory
    Conner Wells
    PRP Stats

Combat Stats

PRE

The way 'Sofia' talks about Europe, and Italy in particular, shows a side of her that Conner hasn't really seen yet. There's a sense of familiarity there...of comfort. It was almost beautiful in a way. Even as Conner's predator preaches caution. So she likes Europe. She can still kill you and everyone else in the building with her pinky finger. "I can only imagine what the food tastes like in the places where they've had years to perfect their craft. And without compromising on ingredients or quality." ​Food is nice. Food is a universal subject that people can talk about to avoid stepping on toes.

She's getting more comfortable and smiling again, and this time Conner feels like it's more at her expense. "Agreed." Best to take the point and move on: he wasn't exactly qualified to argue the importance of restraint. "Though when it comes to understanding our place, perhaps it's equal restraint and contentment? It's one thing to know where you belong, you also have to learn to like it." Purpose is pointless without a willing heart.

Her words about places of comfort strike a chord with Conner. Belonging. Finding a home. Making your long life more than just survival. Being human. "Comfortable...yes, it is." There's a wistful look in Conner's eyes for a moment. "A little escape. I like that." ​He's putting less emphasis now on talking and more on listening. On just being here and savoring this place and this talk. And hopefully learning from it.

Oh great! She knows how to use guns. "Interesting choice." Conner takes a short sip. "I've been more of a swordsman myself. I'm a bit of a sucker for the old tales of knights and musketeers." Had he seen 'Sofia' play piano in Elysium before? No. He'd remember that. But there was a piano there. Perhaps he should pay more attention to the sounds drifting up from the Nox lower floors in the nights to come? "What do you like to read?" Perhaps her reading, like her drink choice, would give a little insight into her personality?

Presence
    (Commanding)
    Striking Looks
    (Tattooed Beauty)
    Blood Potency(+1)
    Status
    (Criminals)
    Retainer
    (Gabriel)

Known as Sofia De Luca

Gabriel, Ghoul
    Cain, Hell Hound
    Alessandra Scenes

+1
    SL
    PRE

The hint of a smile and nod, “I always recommend travelers find the little family-owned restaurants wherever they go. You get the full experience of the cuisine, as well as the culture.” Sometimes she missed those back-alley restaurants and the atmosphere they held.

She thinks a moment on his statement, “If you have to learn to like something, do you truly like it?” she asks. “I’ve been in places that I was not content with, it brought no happiness to me, so I didn’t belong. At least, not in my mind. It’s why I push others to better themselves, challenge them.” There was being content with what you did, and there was being happy with it.

“Everyone needs a place they can escape the reality of their world. A place where they can let their guard down, even the tiniest bit. If not, then, well, that’s when shit gets real.” And Kindred get cranky.

“Swords?” for some reason, she could see that. “I never really learned how to properly hold and use one. Now guns were taught to me by my father, and they’re easier to carry legally.” A wink added. She had a permit to carry both her guns in public if she wanted to, but she rarely did.

“Depends on my mood to be quite honest. I’ve recently finished another read through of The Divine Comedy. It’s one I always go back to. That book aside, I read history books pertaining to art. But I am always open to recommendations.”

Blood & Faith
    Presence
    (Earnest)
    Allies
    (Academia)
    Obfuscate
    (Mask of Tranquility)
    Eidectic Memory
    Conner Wells
    PRP Stats

Combat Stats

PRE

The conversation continues in that quiet room. Two Kindred from vastly different walks of life learning just a bit more about each other.

[vta] I'm so sorry! Closing up thread way behind schedule. Thanks for a fun Scene. [/vtr]

Page 2 of 2 First 1 2
Closed Thread