Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletinEdge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Ended
Watch

Key of C: for Conversation

THREADID
DISPLAYED
This is for adding a Search Category to the thread.

Note:
This is NOT a Notification for another member.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    Blood & Faith
    Presence
    (Earnest)
    Allies
    (Academia)
    Obfuscate
    (Mask of Tranquility)
    Eidectic Memory
    Conner Wells
    PRP Stats

HP: 0/7 [7 Bash]
    WP: 0/2
    Vitae: 2/6

Equipment: Reinforced Jacket, Broadsword, Messenger Bag (flashlight, pen, notepad, binoculars, duct tape), Phone, Wallet ($50 cash)
    Combat Stats

Def: 3 (Dex; Tonfa +1)
    Armor: 1/0 (Reinforced Clothing)
    Initiative: 4
    Speed: 9

PRE

With spring freshly heralded, the city of Sacramento was coming alive in the night hours. More and more people were out enjoying the warmer weather as they browsed familiar landmarks or discovered new nooks and crannies that they'd passed over in the colder months.

But somewhere in the city, one nook remained mostly unmolested by giddy city-goers. A small bar tucked in the artists' district between blackbox theaters, street-side eateries, and the odd novelty store. If Conner wasn't used to finding places that didn't want to be found he might have missed it. Good old superhuman senses.

Conner takes a seat at a corner table and waits to order his drink. He's curious to see how this night's conversation partner will respond, given her fascination with people's drink orders. No harm in continuing the game just a bit. As long as we don't become the appetizer.
    Orianna

Book-Keeping for Blush incoming

Presence
    (Commanding)
    Striking Looks
    (Tattooed Beauty)
    Blood Potency(+1)
    Status
    (Criminals)
    Retainer
    (Gabriel)
    First thing you will notice about Ale is the abundance of her tattoos. They go from her face all the way to her feet, and not much is left bare. The second thing? Her strong Italian accent.

Known as Sofia De Luca

Gabriel, Ghoul
    Cain, Hell Hound
    Alessandra Scenes

-2 Vitae for Blush of Life and Drink, 
      -2 Vitae for Blush of Life and Drink

(-2 Vitae Blush of Life & Drink)Vitae 2 Spent
    +1
    SL
    PRE

Was she surprised Conner had reached out?

Yes.

Not many wanted to spend time outside of Elysia speaking with her. So he either wanted something, or he enjoyed her company. She was going with wanted something.

This was her stomping ground so to speak. She did business out of this bar, and she knew who frequented it.

And they knew her.

Nods were offered as the Savage stepped into the room; some nods were even returned. Tonight, she was casual, blending in with location and the patrons. Well, aside from her Beast. Black jeans and tank top over which she had a leather jacket. Her skin had a healthy warm glow to it. When dark eyes settled on the Shadow, her Beast sniffed and felt for a Beast. But found none, which calmed it somewhat and sent it back to its corner.

A motion was made to the bartender as she walked to the table. Before she sat down, he was moving and had a shot and a beer placed on the able for her. A warm…ish…smile offered to him along with a card.

“Good evening Conner.” Greets the Savage, “To what do I owe the pleasure of this gathering?
    Alessandra Antinori │BP 6│Strong Italian Accent

3. Likes BoxingUnicorn liked this post
    Blood & Faith
    Presence
    (Earnest)
    Allies
    (Academia)
    Obfuscate
    (Mask of Tranquility)
    Eidectic Memory
    Conner Wells
    PRP Stats

Equipment: Reinforced Jacket, Broadsword, Messenger Bag (flashlight, pen, notepad, binoculars, duct tape), Phone, Wallet ($50 cash)
    Combat Stats

(Book-Keeping: Blush & Consume Drink)Vitae 2 Spent
    PRE

One moment Conner is wondering if he's going to spend his evening alone, and then comes the hornet's nest in his soul-gut that tells him someone...something is here and wants him dead. ​Just breathe. Just breathe. Conner exercises the stolen power in his lungs and exhales.

The Prince had arrived. And from the number of looks and her more relaxed demeanor, she clearly had influence here. But not as a monstrous ruler, but as a respected patron. Must be nice. Once the bartender is free, he flags him down for his order. "Bourbon on the rocks, please." Let the games begin. Then he finds himself sitting across from the powerhouse of Sacramento's undead population. "Nice to see you again, Sofia." He gives a nod as Ale settles into her throne-away-from-home.

And already she was asking questions. Innocent questions, but they still keep him on guard.
    "I'd been thinking about our previous conversation about different labels and how we discover them. Things like astrology and drink preferences. And it got me thinking..." At which point Conner's drink arrives. "...about how much those labels can create barriers. We judge people based on snippets of their lives and perceptions." He nods to the bartender in thanks for his drink, then looks back to Ale. "So I was interested to know your opinion on something: what do you think makes us stronger? Defying those labels? Or owning them?" He sits back in his chair with an earnestly curious expression. Though a deep, dark part of him wonders if she might just take insult. ​The night is young.

Presence
    (Commanding)
    Striking Looks
    (Tattooed Beauty)
    Blood Potency(+1)
    Status
    (Criminals)
    Retainer
    (Gabriel)
    First thing you will notice about Ale is the abundance of her tattoos. They go from her face all the way to her feet, and not much is left bare. The second thing? Her strong Italian accent.

Known as Sofia De Luca

Gabriel, Ghoul
    Cain, Hell Hound
    Alessandra Scenes

+1
    SL
    PRE

The nod was returned as she took off the leather jacket, getting comfortable. Well, as comfortable as she could anyways.

Picking up her beer, she takes a sip as he talks. Dark eyes studying him.

Her opinion? Count that a first.

The glass was placed back on the table and she thinks a moment, “An interesting question.” And it was. But it was also…odd. “Depends on the label and the situation. Some own labels as a way to defy, and others fight against them to prove themselves. I think it’s the reasoning behind it that either makes you stronger or weaker. I’ve never been a huge fan of labels, they’re often wrong and make dangerous assumptions.” Take her Clan being known as Savages without intelligence. “In my experience, I’ve defied them when they’ve been placed on me, and I don’t think it makes me stronger, just too damn stubborn to fit what others think.” But sometimes, it gave her the upper hand. “Why do you ask?”

6. Likes BoxingUnicorn liked this post
    Blood & Faith
    Presence
    (Earnest)
    Allies
    (Academia)
    Obfuscate
    (Mask of Tranquility)
    Eidectic Memory
    Conner Wells
    PRP Stats

Combat Stats

PRE

Conner sits on bated breath as the Prince ponders his question. But then the answer comes on that velvet voice framed by savage teeth, and he relaxes. A little.

"I see."
    He ponders a little himself as he takes a measured sip from his own drink. The cold ice and liquor keeping him grounded in the moment. "My interest has been in the labels I've made for myself. More often than not they're informed by the labels I'm given. I'm seen some of them wear off over time, and as I begin to know more about myself and those around me. But some don't leave, they just evolve." He tightens his grip on the glass just a bit as several of those labels, wicked names and titles born out of doubt, dance around in his head. "But those labels only give power if we allow them." He looks at 'Sofia' with a hint of a somber smile. "Stubborn, maybe. But some might call that stubbornness 'courage'. That's why I wanted to continue our conversation, Sofia. I want to cultivate that courage so I can surpass and defy the labels I've earned." And here a bit of the predator leaks into his voice; not enough to present a threat, but enough to hint at the unseen reality between them. ​"And who better to cultivate that with than you?"

He sets the glass down, rests his hands on the table in a relaxed gesture. "But 'iron sharpens iron'. I'm not just doing this for my edification. I...kind of like this." He looks around at the quiet setting. "And I'm guessing you do too, or else you wouldn't have accepted my invitation." He makes sure here that his voice, his posture, all of his cues are non-threatening. A surrender to the circumstances at hand. "Am I wrong?" He's placing a subtle challenge here: does the Prince still think of him as a blunderer? Or does she see his willingness to face great odds to prove himself? And, more importantly, does she see that as a good thing?

Presence
    (Commanding)
    Striking Looks
    (Tattooed Beauty)
    Blood Potency(+1)
    Status
    (Criminals)
    Retainer
    (Gabriel)

Known as Sofia De Luca

Gabriel, Ghoul
    Cain, Hell Hound
    Alessandra Scenes

+1
    SL
    PRE

Watching him, “What labels have you made for yourself? And which haven’t left?” she hadn’t heard anything. But there was not a huge shock there, not many were open with her. Then a single nod, “That’s true, it’s only a label if you let it be.” And if you let others know it bothers you, it becomes a bigger issue. An eyebrow arched, “Courage?” a small smirk, “That’s one I haven’t heard. My father told me a long time ago that stubbornness would be the downfall of me.” Hence being stubborn and not letting it be the downfall.

Was he saying he wanted to talk with her cause it helped his courage? Isn’t that something you should already have? “Are you looking to get courage from speaking with me? Because I assure you, I can’t give you courage.” A soft chuckle.

“Then why are you doing it? Not that one needs a reason to improve upon themselves. But something had to set the ball into motion.” Glancing around, “Well, if you enjoy the bar, I can recommend others.” This was part of her world. “I accepted because I found you entertaining and intelligent.” Entertaining was always a good thing in her book.

9. Likes BoxingUnicorn liked this post
    Blood & Faith
    Presence
    (Earnest)
    Allies
    (Academia)
    Obfuscate
    (Mask of Tranquility)
    Eidectic Memory
    Conner Wells
    PRP Stats

Combat Stats

PRE

Like Icarus, it appears Conner has been a little too ambitious. She's looking for weakness. Don't give it to her! We don't have to give her weakness. We just need a little honesty. "I have a bad track record with people: as in I tend to let them down when I'm needed most. From there the label I've been fighting has been "Failure". I've made some strides: I'm connecting with people at work; I'm putting one foot in front of the other instead of in my mouth; I've made myself useful to the right people." All things he expects 'Sofia' knows already in some way. Or maybe she thinks he's blowing smoke? "When I was newer to this city I fought the label "Outcast", and I think that's one I've more or less absorbed into something else. I've determined that sometimes being outside the circle can happen simply by doing the right thing. That perhaps it means you're set apart for something greater: something more" ​There were layers to that last idea that 'Sofia' hasn't earned an answer to yet. Will she ever?

Was he imagining the subtle rumble in 'Sofia's' speech when she says she can't give him courage? Perhaps it was just his predator's paranoia? In either case, Conner's expression freezes for a brief moment as he contemplates sprinting out of the building at breakneck speed. But no...this Shadow is too stubborn for his own good. "Perhaps I misspoke, Sofia." Enough of a hint in the response to almost hint at her title of 'Prince'. To hint at respect; subservience. "I don't expect you to give me anything. Only that I enjoy your company and it's made me more sure of myself." She offers a series of compliments and he noticeably relaxes. Perhaps his honest approach is paying off? ​"I need to broaden my horizons. That's the only real way for me to learn. I'm not a big fan of echo chambers where the same ideals bounce around without being tested or defined. Hence, nights like this where I get to know people who come from all walks of life." He takes a sip as she gestures at their surrounding. "I do. It's nice. I've tried the louder dive crowd scene, but there's just so much noise." Unfortunate side effect of Auspex: makes sensory overload more likely. As for her direct compliments. "Same to you. I think we both know how to keep conversations interesting." Call it a survival tactic; call it trying to be something they weren't. Either way, basic relational skills helped humans and vampires live and not just exist.

Or maybe he was starting to see the primal monster in front of him as a person?

Presence
    (Commanding)
    Striking Looks
    (Tattooed Beauty)
    Blood Potency(+1)
    Status
    (Criminals)
    Retainer
    (Gabriel)

Known as Sofia De Luca

Gabriel, Ghoul
    Cain, Hell Hound
    Alessandra Scenes

+1
    SL
    PRE

A slow nod, “Ah, I see. Not a very good label to have.” Either as cattle or Kindred. “I’ve come across a few like that, it severely compromised an outing for work. Also almost cost me a good friend.” Knowing this about Conner would make her view him differently. There was no way around that. “But I suppose all one can do is make positive strides in the opposite direction.” Would he? “Outcast? Not one I would have placed on you. But you did have a rough start when you arrived at the city. Then again, many have rough starts and have gone on to become very successful. I tend to withhold too much judgement the first couple months, give people a chance to find their feet.” But he had many things working against him. “Doing the right thing is subjective to each person. Everyone has the ability to be greater, to become more. But few tend to put in the effort and time it takes.” Not everyone was destined to be a failure.

Now that came out of left field. And she finds herself unsure of how to respond just yet. Enjoys her company? Just what was he after, what was the angle? While her defenses were naturally high, they were even more on alert now. “You enjoy my company?” a hint of disbelief in her tone. Words were meaningless to the Savage without the power of an Oath to back them up.

“I’m not a fan of those either. It’s why I surround myself with a variety of people from different backgrounds and with varying experiences. Anyone can parrot back what you say, but it takes a special kind of person to know when to tell you the truth.” But she had a hard time believing others didn’t like hearing their own words parroted back to them. “And just what is it you are looking to learn?” would he answer, or would he deflect?

Nodding, “Too much noise and attention.” That wasn’t a good thing in her line of work. Blend in, don’t draw attention. Chuckling as she raised her beer, “Now there’s a compliment I don’t usually receive.” Taking a sip of the beer. Not many associated a Savage with intelligence.

12. Likes BoxingUnicorn liked this post
    Blood & Faith
    Presence
    (Earnest)
    Allies
    (Academia)
    Obfuscate
    (Mask of Tranquility)
    Eidectic Memory
    Conner Wells
    PRP Stats

Combat Stats

PRE

Like pieces on a chess board, the conversation topics shift and relocate the balance of the conversation. Conner senses avenues open and close in the instant the words are said. Perhaps his honesty was backfiring? Setting himself up for perceptions of self-doubt. No. He's been given opportunities to step up, and they both know that. "Penance is changing course, and I think I've done that." This isn't all about you! Why not? Haven't we earned that right. "We've all got to learn sometime." What exactly was 'Sofia' talking about? An 'outing'? Was that a mission? A 'friend'? How many 'friends' did she have? It strikes Conner that he doesn't really know how close the Court officials actually are, despite the possibility of shared history. Was it really just a job for some of them? He starts to open his mouth at the mention of the right thing being 'subjective' but he stops, clearly thinking about that statement for several seconds. "I can see that. And yes, there's effort involved with growth. We're not plants, after all."

The Prince hesitates, and Conner feels a squirming, dark satisfaction in his heart of hearts. He's never going to get a chance like this again. This private, looming moment of this imperious thing being knocked off balance. Visually he stops mid sip, looks across the table, then sets his glass down gently without drinking. "Yes, Sofia. I do." Spoken plainly, as if he's saying 'the sky is blue'. "I enjoy it because I know that if you were ever tired of me, or offended, or just angry then you'd walk away without a moment's thought or regret. And you're owed that. I enjoy your company because it's offered by choice; not obligation or niceties." There's clear respect and conviction in Conner's voice. He doesn't see any worth in playing close to the chest anymore. It's all in or all out.

"I want to learn how people see the world. Because I can say how I see the world has changed over time. And there are perspectives I've missed because I'm only one man living one lifetime..." That's up to some debate. "Even if a perspective is flawed, it can provide insight." It's an honest answer, though it does take Conner a few more contemplative seconds as he further navigates this verbal chess match. There's too much in play for it to be tennis.

Conner decides to stretch himself a bit, mirroring 'Sofia's' raised glass. "Here's to many more of those unlooked for compliments. Those are the best kind."

Presence
    (Commanding)
    Striking Looks
    (Tattooed Beauty)
    Blood Potency(+1)
    Status
    (Criminals)
    Retainer
    (Gabriel)

Known as Sofia De Luca

Gabriel, Ghoul
    Cain, Hell Hound
    Alessandra Scenes

+1
    SL
    PRE

“Penance?” wow, really. “I suppose whatever works for you.” You do you. “But not all willing to put in that effort. That’s what I believe separates people and if they’re worth your time.” Personal growth was something she had always been focusing on.

Dark eyes simply watch him, her mind attempting to work out what his angle was. What did he think flattering her would get him? Because he would be sorely disappointed. Some of what he said was true, she had no issues telling others when she was offended or pissed at them. It had never been in her nature to shy away from difficult talks. A slow nod of her head, “Huh.” It wasn’t that she was at a loss for words, she just didn’t have any she wanted to share. It was a weird conversation to say the least for her.

“That’s not something you hear too often these days, people wanting to see how others view the world. Our different backgrounds and upbringings can make for some intriguing conversations. And I agree, every perspective can provide insight if one is open to it. Unfortunately, in our world, people get locked into their own ways, never willing to open their minds a bit. And that’s a shame.”
    It truly was. “It took me a few years of traveling before I was able to be more open minded, and it’s been a blessing.” She’s learned a lot over her years.

Taking a sip, “What do you think has been your most difficult lesson to learn?”

15. Likes liked this post
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
Closed Thread